shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique pear opinion

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just MY humble opinion :wavey: , but I prefer a FAT bottom, as opposed to what I would dub a "FLAT watermelon arse" on the pear.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shape-wise, for a ring, I would agree with PintoBean; but I would like that shape for a pendant.

I'll defer cut and other quality characteristics to the pros.

ETA: It sends chills down my spine to see (in the video) the point of the diamond in the diamond holder like that.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like it better than the typical round pear bottoms. It's not THAT flat. :lol: :lol:

funny-pictures-a-long-ass-day.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o :-o :-o :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the best memes of all time. :lol: :lol:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this pear - a lot! Personally I like the shape, the facet pattern, the way it seems very bright edge-to-edge, the small culet ... it all works for me, whether for a ring or a pendant. Do you know the depth dimension?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1457646890|4002931 said:
I like this pear - a lot! Personally I like the shape, the facet pattern, the way it seems very bright edge-to-edge, the small culet ... it all works for me, whether for a ring or a pendant. Do you know the depth dimension?

I don't. I will probably have it sent to GIA and there is a great return policy, so I really can't go wrong. There are so few antique pears out there, and I really love the shape of this one. I LOVE the tiny pear shaped culet. :love:

I was thinking of a VC anne-marie halo. Not sure on metal color yet.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
question for all: Does VC still set outside antique stones? Is it still only AVCs he won't set?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1457717213|4003481 said:
question for all: Does VC still set outside antique stones? Is it still only AVCs he won't set?

He gives priority to his own stones, but does set some outside stones if he can fit them in.

I love the diamond and think it is beautiful! I love the shape! I guess my only qualm would be wondering what the inclusions are.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1457718506|4003491 said:

He gives priority to his own stones, but does set some outside stones if he can fit them in.

I love the diamond and think it is beautiful! I love the shape! I guess my only qualm would be wondering what the inclusions are.

I'm having it sent to GIA:) According to Ilya it is 100% eye clean, so that is great. Hopefully no major inclusions that would be a problem.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Hi soxfan

Inasmuch as one can be sure, are you satisfied it's an antique or even vintage stone? I can't see closely enough in the video but from the pic alone the facets don't scream antique. Culets are not completely uncommon in modern pears.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralfish|1457727142|4003547 said:
Hi soxfan

Inasmuch as one can be sure, are you satisfied it's an antique or even vintage stone? I can't see closely enough in the video but from the pic alone the facets don't scream antique. Culets are not completely uncommon in modern pears.

I'm not sure how to tell?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going by the culet and the fact that the faceting doesn't really look modern to me.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hi soxfan
I have nearly finalized my layaway with grace for an antique pear and have had numerous correspondence with VC and yes he will set it for me. The Anne-marie with single cut pavè is my front runner so far too!

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Hi soxfan

I would, broadly speaking, prefer to see much larger facets, a smaller table (less of a given in an antique pear) and, it's a mere presumption given the photo, but I suspect the crown is not all that high.

It may well be a vintage diamond, perhaps even a transitional pear, and it all depends on what you personally are looking for and will enjoy in the diamond.

Also it depends on the price to some extent.

Please ignore the price in the first link! But just looking at the size of the facets beneath the table. And the general 'feel':

http://www.furrandco.co.uk/jewellry/antique-pear-shaped-diamond-ring-2/

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/more-rings/antique-french-emerald-diamond-gold-ring/id-j_1203052/

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-13ct-antique-pear-shape-diamond-gia-i-vs2

It all depends on what 'feel' you want. Of course there is no wrong choice but just wanted to alert you to the possibility in case it is a fundamental in your purchase. Again it depends on what characteristics you seek that are important to you for the stone to have. Do you enjoy the slower and larger flashes of the larger facets, and/or a more firey high crown, or are there in fact other, different factors that you seek and will enjoy about the stone.

If Ilya can provide more photos of the side and of the diamond tilted it may help elucidate the matter.

ETA: sometimes large real life facets can be obscured by numerous virtual facet events (a factor of the combination of crown and pavillion angles and depth) which for me (but of course not for everybody) nullifies some of the charm of antique stones when this is the case. Again I am not sure what the case is with this particular stone but I think further photos would clarify.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralfish|1457734036|4003633 said:
Hi soxfan

I would, broadly speaking, prefer to see much larger facets, a smaller table (less of a given in an antique pear) and, it's a mere presumption given the photo, but I suspect the crown is not all that high.

It may well be a vintage diamond, perhaps even a transitional pear, and it all depends on what you personally are looking for and will enjoy in the diamond.

Also it depends on the price to some extent.

Please ignore the price in the first link! But just looking at the size of the facets beneath the table. And the general 'feel':

http://www.furrandco.co.uk/jewellry/antique-pear-shaped-diamond-ring-2/

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/more-rings/antique-french-emerald-diamond-gold-ring/id-j_1203052/

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-13ct-antique-pear-shape-diamond-gia-i-vs2

It all depends on what 'feel' you want. Of course there is no wrong choice but just wanted to alert you to the possibility in case it is a fundamental in your purchase. Again it depends on what characteristics you seek that are important to you for the stone to have. Do you enjoy the slower and larger flashes of the larger facets, and/or a more firey high crown, or are there in fact other, different factors that you seek and will enjoy about the stone.

If Ilya can provide more photos of the side and of the diamond tilted it may help elucidate the matter.

ETA: sometimes large real life facets can be obscured by numerous virtual facet events (a factor of the combination of crown and pavillion angles and depth) which for me (but of course not for everybody) nullifies some of the charm of antique stones when this is the case. Again I am not sure what the case is with this particular stone but I think further photos would clarify.

I emailed and asked for more photos. I really really like the shape of this stone as opposed to some of the antique pears that look more like movals, and I LOVE how lively the diamond is. I also like the smaller culet as opposed to some of the larger ones that seem to take up the entire center of the stone. I was originally going to look for a modern cut pear, but I HATE bow ties. This one appears to not have one. I am in the midst of having an OEC set, and I LOVE the large flashes of light, but for a pear shape, I prefer the way this one performs to one that flashes more like an OEC. The price was $2,895.

There is a 30 day money back guarantee, too. So I would only be out the GIA cert and a re-stocking fee. I'm hoping that the reward is worth the small risk :naughty: I'll post more photos when Ilya sends them!

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Well in that case, this sounds like your Perfect Pear! Seeing as it meets all your criteria and for a competitive price I too would be happy to pay the GIA/shipping fees. How exciting!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralfish|1457740920|4003680 said:
Well in that case, this sounds like your Perfect Pear! Seeing as it meets all your criteria and for a competitive price I too would be happy to pay the GIA/shipping fees. How exciting!

Fingers crossed! I just don't want to pay "more" for a stone if it's not really vintage, KWIM?

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Yes indeed, that's a good point... In all honesty I'm not convinced that it is. Vintage-wise, I don't see it being older than a transitional pear; and it could theoretically have been cut last week... though, this is just based on that one picture and video. More pics will most definitely complete the 'picture'. What trade-offs, for the increased price the Vintage tag brings, namely what aspects of its vintage-ness, do you hope to experience in the stone? So, you are willing to pay a premium for it being a vintage stone, and how do you hope this will reflect visually in its appearance? Not sure if I am making any sense trying to word that question!

Are you also thinking from the POV of resale value? So, what characteristics would a theoretical next buyer be able to see in the stone, that they would pay the 'vintage' premium for? (I say this as I would think this too if paying a premium for some aspect of a stone).

Again I'm not sure and think more pics will help. Also a general consensus of voices if you canvas opinions here on PS may point you to what the 'market' feels the stone is. I think if you love the stone and find its stated provenance (at least its age) questionable you may be able to use this to negotiate with Ilya, to pay a price for a retailed second-hand rather than vintage stone.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralfish|1457744010|4003696 said:
Yes indeed, that's a good point... In all honesty I'm not convinced that it is. Vintage-wise, I don't see it being older than a transitional pear; and it could theoretically have been cut last week... though, this is just based on that one picture and video. More pics will most definitely complete the 'picture'. What trade-offs, for the increased price the Vintage tag brings, namely what aspects of its vintage-ness, do you hope to experience in the stone? So, you are willing to pay a premium for it being a vintage stone, and how do you hope this will reflect visually in its appearance? Not sure if I am making any sense trying to word that question!

Are you also thinking from the POV of resale value? So, what characteristics would a theoretical next buyer be able to see in the stone, that they would pay the 'vintage' premium for? (I say this as I would think this too if paying a premium for some aspect of a stone).

Again I'm not sure and think more pics will help. Also a general consensus of voices if you canvas opinions here on PS may point you to what the 'market' feels the stone is. I think if you love the stone and find its stated provenance (at least its age) questionable you may be able to use this to negotiate with Ilya, to pay a price for a retailed second-hand rather than vintage stone.

Interesting, I've never seen a transitional pear! Do you have any examples? This stone does look very different than the ones that Erica gets, but it also looks WAY different (to me) than a modern pear. So transitional makes sense. As far as appearance, I guess I am looking for something kind of between an antique stone with the large blocky facets and a splintery modern cut. Am I wording that right? :lol:

Can't wait for the pics!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralfish|1457744010|4003696 said:

No, I know I will lose big time on resale. So, it's not really something I am concerned with. I would just return the stone rather than try to sell it, so I am at least covered there....

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Well to be honest I think you are more than fully informed and it sounds like the perfect stone for you.

Hmmn, well I've applied this word 'Transitional', extrapolated from rounds, to those pears which are sold as Antique, but to my eye look more modern, that I've seen over the years. I'm scanning for characteristics which could ambiguously fall into both eras. I guess one characteristic meeting those criteria would be an in-between facet size. After all, pears too had to undergo the transition from old to modern! This may or may not be from that transitional era, but not earlier, I do not think (but again just from that one picture). The thing is, these sorts of characteristics also turn up from time to time in stones fresh off the wheel, in a way that the Antique stones unambiguously (unless cut as Antique repros) do not.

I think an ASET would also be an asset in this situation!

In any case, with the GIA cert coming and a 30 day inspection, you can't really go wrong. From what you've described this stone seems to meet all your visual criteria and I expect you will be eagerly anticipating its arrival!

(The only thing to scrutinise when you get it would be that the virtual facet events don't interfere with those semi-blockish facets that you like.)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I don't know if this will help you or not but I just bought a small pear from Grace described as an antique pear. I just took a quick photo (so excuse the quality) and tried to put it next to the photo of the stone you are considering. I thought it might make you feel more comfortable with your decision since there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the age of your stone. They don't look all that different to me, but I'm certainly no expert on identifying whether a stone is an antique or not. But if mine is an antique, I don't know why yours couldn't also be antique. Maybe some experts will chime in.

_36650.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lookinagain|1457748028|4003728 said:
Well, I don't know if this will help you or not but I just bought a small pear from Grace described as an antique pear. I just took a quick photo (so excuse the quality) and tried to put it next to the photo of the stone you are considering. I thought it might make you feel more comfortable with your decision since there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the age of your stone. They don't look all that different to me, but I'm certainly no expert on identifying whether a stone is an antique or not. But if mine is an antique, I don't know why yours couldn't also be antique. Maybe some experts will chime in.

Wow! They are similar! Love your pear- what are you planning for it? :naughty:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1457748680|4003732 said:
Wow! They are similar! Love your pear- what are you planning for it? :naughty:

Oh, the jury is still out on that. It isn't large, just .83 and it's a GIA M color, so warm. I will put it in yellow gold, but I'm stumped on what style I want. It's down on the list of my projects at this point until inspiration strikes :think:

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just jumping in to say, I have enjoyed keeping up with the thread. The varied opinions are really interesting, but I like how the OP is sticking to the love of that particular shape. I'm sure you will find something incredible.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond_Hawk|1458100143|4005964 said:
Just jumping in to say, I have enjoyed keeping up with the thread. The varied opinions are really interesting, but I like how the OP is sticking to the love of that particular shape. I'm sure you will find something incredible.

Yes, I love it. And then I saw this :shock: :shock:

img_2491.png

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the shape of the new pear but I will pick the one with better light performance. Which have you decided on?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1458130569|4006059 said:
I love the shape of the new pear but I will pick the one with better light performance. Which have you decided on?

I have a deposit on the first one. Will see when I get it- if I don't like it I can return it and wait for the perfect pear. :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results