shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Diamond Purchase Advice

lexcaliber

Rough_Rock
Hello,

So glad I found this community! I’ve already learned so much. However, it might be too late as I have already made my stone purchase a week ago. It has not shipped, so there may still be time to make a change if it turns out I picked a dud.

I am looking for a chubby antique pear to go in a signet gypsy style setting. I want a warm color like K, L, and a giant culet. I am flexible with size, but I do want something around 1.3-1.5ct. I chose an egg shaped 1.57ct L VS2 from TStar because the price was right and I had been searching for what feels like forever. I loved the soft rounded outline and plump silhouette, and the center culet is so charming. It actually reminds me of a Boucheron 1940s ring I saved on Instagram.

Anyway. It’s taking a while to ship and I’m having cold feet reading about “mush” and crushed ice. Did I do ok? Appreciate all your help!

*edit* Adding the GIA cert and my budget, which was $6000 because I had a credit card signup bonus to meet.

FDDA642C-CD87-4A47-B587-96E73EA8A08E.jpeg

Last edited:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just a hobbyist but I think it's a pretty stone @lexcaliber. I took a quick look and all the other pears on the site are smaller than yours, so would you even want to exchange for anything else? There is no return policy so I guess your only option would be to chose another diamond and hope they agree to an exchange.

lexcaliber

Rough_Rock
I'm just a hobbyist but I think it's a pretty stone @lexcaliber. I took a quick look and all the other pears on the site are smaller than yours, so would you even want to exchange for anything else? There is no return policy so I guess your only option would be to chose another diamond and hope they agree to an exchange.

Thanks for the response. This seller is another Instagram dealer so he has more on his social feeds and seems to get them in often, however their communication is short and not very warm (which is fine) but they’re also not one to accommodate additional requests for video, photos, stone comparisons, etc. So I took a bit of a risk. Their website also says they ship in 2-4 days and it’s day 8 now…

This might be one of those “learn to love it” situations. Ha.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The stone is a little on the shallow side-but maybe you can do a faux cup setting? I think it's pretty and you got a great price!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked out the seller on IG and saw a few other pears on there, but again they were smaller. I saw the video of the diamond you bought as well, and it looks lively and sparkly. What are your thoughts on this at this point?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
There is an M color that’s a little bit smaller weight but is more elongated in shape. It’s a little bit less in price, the culet is smaller… the only reason I would consider it would be for more finger coverage or a bigger appearance. What do you think?

I like the 1st one better. This 1.42 ct is 36% depth so there is more light leakage. Also, I feel like the original pear has a slightly cuter shape-but, of course, that's just my opinion).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @lulu_ma, the second one is very shallow. I would stick with the first one out of these two.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @lexcaliber, just wondering if you have any updates?

lexcaliber

Rough_Rock
Hi @lexcaliber, just wondering if you have any updates?

Hi! Thanks for asking.

I finally received the stone (once it shipped, it arrived in 24 hours) and it is now in the hands of DK. It is lovely, so much antique charm and subtle buttery warmth. My favorite part is the giant culet and chubby shape. Here’s a photo of the CAD sketch for the setting. It will be antique 18k yellow gold. B684A244-D7F1-4469-B640-EF633F0BC95F.jpeg

C32C5605-6122-4905-972C-DD5E8059D133.jpeg 00B96951-355A-4FA7-8697-38C466445AFE.jpeg

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
This is so beautiful! Looking forward to seeing the final piece!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, that is a beautiful diamond and a gorgeous setting! So glad everything worked out. Thank you for the update @lexcaliber, can't wait to see the finished piece!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its a lovely stone and I'm glad you are keeping it. Sure, it could perform a little "better" as there is a little leakage. But this is an antique! It's rare! It's not like there are so many just bopping about that you can choose from. We who chase these antique cuts love them for more than just ideal light performance.

I can't wait to see it set and require 1 million more photos please.

I also adore your wb and those gold bracelets. This new ring is going to look phenomenal with them.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It‘s just lovely :kiss2:

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my. This is absolutely beautiful and looks perfect on your finger. Congrats and enjoy!!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Looks amazing on you!!

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
What an awesome set! Would you mind sharing details on your wedding band? did you have it made?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, loving the yellow gold

lexcaliber

Rough_Rock
What an awesome set! Would you mind sharing details on your wedding band? did you have it made?

I don’t mind at all, thank you for asking. My wedding band is Victorian antique, 22 karat gold. I found it on Etsy.

lexcaliber

Rough_Rock
Same question! And omg your set is amazing!

Thank you so much! It’s antique from Etsy, but I don’t remember the shop name. I know it’s victorian, 22 karat gold, and had to be sized down a lot so could’ve been a men’s ring. I PS — I love your username ;-)

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I love the yellow gold bezel setting - simple, stylish, with timeless elegance and understated luxury.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning. Very classy.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
I don’t mind at all, thank you for asking. My wedding band is Victorian antique, 22 karat gold. I found it on Etsy.

Is it domed all the way around kind of like a donut? I'd love the side profile view of it! Sorry I know this thread is about your beautiful diamond ring, I just am obsessed with that band!

lexcaliber

Rough_Rock
Is it domed all the way around kind of like a donut? I'd love the side profile view of it! Sorry I know this thread is about your beautiful diamond ring, I just am obsessed with that band!

No need to apologize. I love talking about my band. It’s not domed all the way around, it’s flat on the inside. I tried to get a good photo of it for you while in an Uber! IMG_8982.jpeg IMG_8983.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new diamond is beautiful and that band is stunning! Love the dome shape on it - hard to find something like that today!

If you ever get a chance, can you tell us how many mm tall the ring is? Just from the inside to the top of the dome? Bet someone could have something similar made if they knew the dimensions!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautifully, it's gorgeous!! Looks perfect paired with your band. Wouldn't mind some more pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results