shape
carat
color
clarity

Antiique OMC and OEC Help Needed ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

I just spent the last 2 hours looking at various OMC and OEC loose stones. I have narrowed it down to 3, and looked at them in various lighting conditions. I have 2 issues I''''d love your help with. These are from a very reputable antique vendor often purchased from here on PS.

1) OMC (1.7, J, SI1) - I adore this stone in natural light and spot light. When I took the stone in direct sunlight it looked different. It didn''''t have the same fire or sparkle, and the color showed more (very slight yellow). When I asked the vendor about this, he said OMCs are cut for candlelight and tend to look washed out in the sun. Is this true? Should the stone still look as good in the sun as it does elsewhere? Should I pass on it?

2) OMC (1.6, J, SI2) - I like this stone, but it has grey undertones. Faces up nice and white in natural light, and amazing in spot lighting. Outside looks noticably more grey. Is this a no-no? If it bothers me now, will I get used to it? Great price.

3) OEC (just under 2.0) - Love this stone and would be happy with it. But my heart might prefer the cushion. However, the OMC looks MUCH smaller facing up. Would you choose OMC 1 or this one?

HELP!! Need to decide by tomorrow.

Thanks.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
The OEC is also a J, SI1. And my ring size is 4.5 if that matters

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a toughie.

You''re right to throw #2 out of the mix - I don''t think you''d get used to the grey.

#1 has a lack of fire and sparkle outside and also shows a hint of yellow but you love the cushion cut. It also faces up small.

#3 has everything, size, colour, sparkle but .......... it''s not the cut you want.

I think you need to decide whether size or cut is the most important issue for you (and with your finger size I''d think all of these diamonds will look big anyway).

Personally, I love cushions and I could forgive a hint of yellow BUT I couldn''t forgive a diamond that didn''t have fire and sparkle.

So, I guess I''m leaning towards #3 but in all honesty, it sounds like there are issues with all of these diamonds and I think I''d take more time, be patient (not something I''m good at!) and wait for THE ONE to show up.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reply! #1 does have fire and sparkle in all other lighting conditions. It just seemed to kind of get lost in the sunlight.

I think I should take #2 out of the mix.

As for #3, I do really love OECs as well. This is why I am so torn!

Thanks for trying to help me reason it out. Other thoughts are welcome too!
33.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
All OMC''s face up smaller than OEC or RB unless they are cut unusually shallow. It''s true that they are cut for candlelight, and yes, I suppose my OMC cushion is less showy in sunlight than my modern pear...but the fire makes up for it IMO.

I would say that 90% of the day I''m probably inside in the office anyway, and at night I''m either at home with incandescent or out in some restaurant. How often do you sit in the sun and stare at your finger anyway?
2.gif

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
As cheesy as it sounds, I''d get the one that really "sings" to you. If you really like the cushion-y shape, go for #1. I''m sure it will seem plenty big on your finger! (I have a size 4 ring finger, and even with the depth of OMC cuts, that would be size-able on me).

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I'd pick the OMC given your description of it. OECs remind me too much of modern RBs. Anyway with a size 4 finger, you don't need that much stone. In fact I think too big a stone may look off-balanced on a small finger.

Seems you are undecided still. Take your time and go with the one you keep coming back to...
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 12:34:54 AM
Author: DiamondFlame
I''d pick the OMC given your description of it. OECs remind me too much of modern RBs. Anyway with a size 4 finger, you don''t need that much stone. In fact I think too big a stone may look off-balanced on a small finger.

Seems you are undecided still. Take your time and go with the one you keep coming back to...
30.gif
Interesting - they don''t look much alike to me
5.gif

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I think it must be their round shape, AJ...
28.gif

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sounds to me that stone #1 really captured you, yet you have some nagging doubts based on what you saw in direct sunlight?

I have seen many antique cuts that seem to go a little "quiet" under direct sunlight. Did you try looking at the stone in dappled (natural) light? In addition, a little warmth, especially in antique stones (in my opinion) really add that charm and heirloom feel!

I would go with #1 - sometimes, we get a little confused when presented with other options, but keep in mind the qualities that attracted you to this stone in the first place.

Good luck - cant wait to see what you get!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results