shape
carat
color
clarity

anti-aging system/product recommendations?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
My sister is in her late 30s and has been complaining about her crow's feet, and she also has sun spots around her eyes. I'd like to get her something, like an anti-aging system to use at night, or a bunch of products that can be used together, for Christmas. Any recommendations? I'm looking to spend $50 to $100, so that can either be a bunch of less expensive products or one more expensive product/system.

Neither of us is high-maintenance when it comes to skincare, and I think that works in our favor to some extent as our similarly low-maintenance mother has great skin for being 69 years old. I always figured that less is more as long as you are staying out of the sun, but I'm only 31 so maybe I just don't know yet. But I digress . . .

She loves Neutrogena products, and I've used their anti-wrinkle night cream at night (with Retinol) when not pregnant, so I'll probably get her one of those. I also use their healthy defense high SPF moisturizer, and other than washing with Proactiv, that's my skin care regime, so it's the blind leading the blind here. Please enlighten me! I'll probably get some for myself too. :naughty:

So my questions are . . . is there a retinol cream that's better than Neutrogena? Can/should you use retinol along with a peptide-based system like Olay Regenerist? Or do you do retinol at night and something else in the morning?

Thanks for any light you can shed!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
heraanderson|1321827152|3065733 said:
I would try Boot's Protect and Perfect Intense Beauty Serum. It has shown in tests to be effective:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/5236381/Protect-and-Perfect-anti-ageing-face-cream-first-proven-to-reduce-wrinkles.html

I was just going to recommend this! I don't really have wrinkles yet but I kept hearing about this so I bought some at Target a month or two ago, and my skin looks fantastic since I started using it!

I also love Perricone products and will probably get an eye cream there when I use up all of my Kiehl's eye cream. I've heard really good things about the Super line and I just go an email today about a gift set that has the eye cream in it. Here's the gift set: http://www.getsuper.com/product/super+gifts/holiday+gift+sets/skin+nutrition.do?sortby=ourPicks

ETA the Boots stuff is about $20-25 and the set I linked to is $65 so you could do both. The Super eye cream alone is $50 so the set is a really good deal. Can you tell I really want that set for myself?! :cheeky:

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I don't really have wrinkles yet but I've been using Peter Thomas Roth Un-wrinkle to prevent them. It's pricey but the bottle lasts a while and I do notice that my skin seems firmer.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use the Boot serum and think it is pretty good. I LOVE LaMer eye concentrate. I have used it for a several years and don't have any wrinkles around my eyes at all (I'm 52). I have tried other products that are less expensive and can't come up with anything even close. If I stop using the La Mer I can see a change in just a couple days. One jar lasts at least 3 months, so I buy 3-4 jars a year at $165 @. It is the one thing to me that is so worth it. I don't spend a lot on anything else. I do use prescription retin A and a clarisonic.

A clarisonic is a great gift for anyone, imho.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alpha Hydrox is the only product I've used that I've really noticed a big difference as far as wrinkles (and its cheap, cheap, cheap)!
(I cant say that I have tried a lot of expensive stuff).

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=16741&catid=182945&aid=338666&aparam=16741

I'm also using Image MD Lightenig Creme RX but havent been using it long enough to notice a difference (1 month).
I think it was around $50. I got it from the doctor so I'm not sure if you can just order it without a prescription

http://store.vitalitymedispa.net/products/image-md-lightening-creme-rx

I also used this before to lighten dark spots and it worked pretty good. I also got it from the Doc and I think it was
around $25.
http://www.imageskincare.com/ageless_total_skin_bleaching_serum.php

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1321894790|3066172 said:
Alpha Hydrox is the only product I've used that I've really noticed a big difference as far as wrinkles (and its cheap, cheap, cheap)!
(I cant say that I have tried a lot of expensive stuff).

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=16741&catid=182945&aid=338666&aparam=16741

There's a lot of creams out there with alpha hydroxy acids (and other similar acids) and they all work GREAT! They make my skin very smooth and work really well also on dry legs (if you get that dry itchy kind during the winter). I've tried some really espensive ones and cheaper ones (not sure if the one I used is the same as the brand tyty333 posted) and they all are similar! Only thing is you *have to* wear sun screen over them if it's sunny out as skin becomes more sensititive.

One thing you can pick up is Clarins SPF for eyes, which will protect from sun damage, but does NOT mosturize eyes. I apply it and then put eye cream over it...(a tube of this ususally lasts me a year, so it's worth the $28!)

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P144500&categoryId=B70

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
This is all great, thanks everyone! I just wish I could get her everything!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

People have difference tolerances for the "strength" of AHA--becareful. 8% gives me a sunburn like appearance on my face, whereas I can tolerate the 4% and lower. Moreover, I would not use products not designated for eyes around the eyes.

Lancome makes lovely products as does Dior--they may reduce the appearace of fine lines but I think once you have them, cremes and serums are just temp plumpers. Do they really stop them from developing--well I dunno! :bigsmile:

P.S. Neostrata makes great retinol (and other) products--I use them, but not exclusively.

cheers--Sharon

Viola

Shiny_Rock
Jan Marini has done wonders for my skin. I've used their products exclusively for the past two years. I'm 26, so I haven't gotten around to using their Age intervention line, but I probably will buy the moisturizer from that line when I run out of my moisturizer (same brand, different line).

I've read a lot of god reviews

http://www.janmarini.com/us/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=299

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most magazines seem to rate the neutrogina and Olay products as tops in the price range. I use both and most people say I look 5-10 years younger than my age. Nothing works miracles and genes play a large part, but I swear by both brands!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
p.s. i also second the Alpha Hydrox recommendation - the 10% lotion works really well for me. i have pretty sensitive skin too, and that one doesn't irritate me or turn me red (unless i try to use it every day for a while. it's better if i go every other day, then it doesn't irritate me at all).

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Just commenting on your budget. I suggest going to a specialty beauty store like Ulta or Sephora, and buying a sample or starter kit. You can get a very good line at a decent price, without commiting her to full size of a certain line that may or may not work for her.

Answering your first question, I've happily used Arbonne (sold by independant consultants) and Murad (sold in beauty stores, not department stores. Vitamin C products have proved not irritating, but achieving results of diminishing my age spots and uneven complexion.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
heraanderson|1322018379|3067310 said:
shimmer|1322018250|3067307 said:
Haven't used them, but "'Frownies" seem to have good reviews.

http://www.frownies.com/

Yes. I need to get some of these.

Please do and let me know! I have been a little intimidated to order them for fear of what? I don't know! And the name is so darn cute!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
shimmer|1322018588|3067314 said:
heraanderson|1322018379|3067310 said:
shimmer|1322018250|3067307 said:
Haven't used them, but "'Frownies" seem to have good reviews.

http://www.frownies.com/

Yes. I need to get some of these.

Please do and let me know! I have been a little intimidated to order them for fear of what? I don't know! And the name is so darn cute!
I will! I think I remember that they were a good deal on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Frownies-Forehead-Between-Eyes-Patches/dp/B00027DMSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322019044&sr=8-1

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
. Vitamin C products have proved not irritating, but achieving results of diminishing my age spots and uneven complexion.[/quote]

Neostrata Vit C (individual capsuals) are my mainstay. Really brightens my skin.

BTW--have you thought about getting samples before buying the whole jar/tube? Some stuff is just not well tolerated--and altho returns are possible in these type of products (I know you want to get a gift)--I now/always gets samples first before buying.

cheers--Sharon

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Head over to HSN.com and check out the Serious Skin Care line. They have a millions different kits and every single item I have tried has been amazing! Which reminds me, I'm currently out of their Glycolic Cleanser and it is hard to live without.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Aubrey Organics! I love their products. Staying out of the sun and using their products, I have no wrinkles at age 55 & have beautiful skin I get compliments on, done nothing besides that.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I use the acne.org system and add in the AHA+ cream and the Jojoba oil when my skin is dry. It works great. Some nights I just use the AHA since it's so moisturizing and helps slough off dead skin without harsh abrasives. The whole acne.org line is great, I got my sister hooked on it, too and our skin has never been better (even when on Rx topicals). The whole theory of being gentle with your skin is a good one, I think.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1321928353|3066505 said:
HI:

People have difference tolerances for the "strength" of AHA--becareful. 8% gives me a sunburn like appearance on my face, whereas I can tolerate the 4% and lower. Moreover, I would not use products not designated for eyes around the eyes.

Lancome makes lovely products as does Dior--they may reduce the appearace of fine lines but I think once you have them, cremes and serums are just temp plumpers. Do they really stop them from developing--well I dunno! :bigsmile:

P.S. Neostrata makes great retinol (and other) products--I use them, but not exclusively.

cheers--Sharon

I noticed the stuff I use is 10% AHA. It does tend to sting a little when I put it on but doesnt turn my face red or anything.
I also wear suntan lotion every day. I live in FL so I did this before the Alpha Hydrox and would recommend everyone find
a good suntan lotion for their face. Staying out of the sun is probably one of the best skin savers there is.

Edit - I noticed this kit of a brand that a few people have recommended has both a 5% and a 10% sample in it if you
want to try it out and see what your (or your sisters face) can tolerate.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/product/resist-anti-aging-sample-set/anti-aging-resist

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
One word: Isomers.ca.

I'[ve been using their products for over 15 years and would give up food to get them. People CONSTANTLY guess my age as 15 years or so younger than I am.

Visit their website, send any question to them you may have. Her skin will thank you for years to come.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results