shape
carat
color
clarity

Another washer dryer thread

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, so I am replacing our LG washer and dryer and have narrowed the search down to getting probably another LG combo. The reason we are replacing is the dryer is making squeaking noises and they are over 13 years old now. I know these appliances are not built to last so have made peace with it. My dh thinks he knows what is wrong but it is near impossible to get LG parts especially now with the pandemic. So instead of waiting till it is an emergency situation I want to replace them both now.

This is the one I am leaning towards getting. With the matching dryer.

Does anyone own the LG washer/dryer 3900 series?

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Thanks.

calvinandhobbeslaundry.gif

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just got the Electrolux w/d. Really like them. I know others who have them and like them too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got the Electrolux w/d. Really like them. I know others who have them and like them too.

Thanks @caf. I read good things about Electrolux. Does it have a sanitary wash option?

Reactions: caf

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Hello :wavey: I don’t have the 3900 but the 3700. And I love it! Especially the allergy and sanitary washes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello :wavey: I don’t have the 3900 but the 3700. And I love it! Especially the allergy and sanitary washes.

Thanks! We have LG gas dryer and washer now about 13 plus years old. Love it. I wish I could get the same model but they don’t make it anymore. It’s exactly what we need. I read with the newer models it is harder to read the display.

I love the sanitary and allergiene cycles too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love them.

D17A2A07-14ED-4DB7-B3CF-2D4411ADC164.jpeg

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! We have LG gas dryer and washer now about 13 plus years old. Love it. I wish I could get the same model but they don’t make it anymore. It’s exactly what we need. I read with the newer models it is harder to read the display.

I love the sanitary and allergiene cycles too.
I’ve also heard a lot of people say that in their reviews but I see it just fine. But, my laundry room is very brightly lit.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Spring Day did you get the sidekick pedestal? The additional small washer underneath? It’s only $200 more I think so deciding is it worth it.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
@Spring Day did you get the sidekick pedestal? The additional small washer underneath? It’s only $200 more I think so deciding is it worth it.

No pedestal or small washer cuz we have a lot of cabinets overhead and it wouldn’t have fit. If it’s only $200 for the small washer, that sounds pretty good! I could never find any reviews (good or bad) about the small washer.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought an LG pair similar to this three years ago to replace a Maytag front loader. The washer was top-rated with a score of 98 out of 100. Selling points were that it was reported that the clothes came out exceptionally clean, it was energy efficient and it used the least amount of water compared to other machines in the study.

While watching the video you attached, the first thing I noticed was that the washer in the video seemed to use more water than my machine. After a few years of use, I've realized that my machine barely uses enough water. I do believe that affects its cleaning ability, because mine does not do a good job spot cleaning, even if I pre-treat with Shout. Also, whites aren't as bright as I'd like them to be. The display is hard to read in basement single bulb light. Those are my only negatives.

The Turbo wash is great, washes in 20 minutes. I also love the small load wash, but it seems to be a moot program, because the washer weighs the laundry.

I've only used the steam feature once on the washer (stain removal) and the dryer (wrinkle release).

I do like that I can hit a button that rotates the dryer barrel every five minutes or so after the clothes are dried, so that they don't wrinkle. That runs for a few hours afterward.

The newer washers and dryers have WiFi, so your phone can let you know when the load is done or if you want to delay wash.

Long story short,

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks caf.

No pedestal or small washer cuz we have a lot of cabinets overhead and it wouldn’t have fit. If it’s only $200 for the small washer, that sounds pretty good! I could never find any reviews (good or bad) about the small washer.

Yeah I figure it is a good albeit mini backup. We do lots of laundry. My dh uses a washer and dryer in the basement and we often do multiple loads daily. Thanks for your input.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought an LG pair similar to this three years ago to replace a Maytag front loader. The washer was top-rated with a score of 98 out of 100. Selling points were that it was reported that the clothes came out exceptionally clean, it was energy efficient and it used the least amount of water compared to other machines in the study.

While watching the video you attached, the first thing I noticed was that the washer in the video seemed to use more water than my machine. After a few years of use, I've realized that my machine barely uses enough water. I do believe that affects its cleaning ability, because mine does not do a good job spot cleaning, even if I pre-treat with Shout. Also, whites aren't as bright as I'd like them to be. Those are my only negatives.

The Turbo wash is great, washes in 20 minutes. I also love the small load wash, but it seems to be a moot program, because the washer weighs the laundry.

I've only used the steam feature once on the washer (stain removal) and the dryer (wrinkle release).

I do like that I can hit a button that rotates the dryer barrel every five minutes or so after the clothes are dried, so that they don't wrinkle. That runs for a few hours afterward.

The newer washers and dryers have WiFi, so your phone can let you know when the load is done or if you want to delay wash.

Long story short,

Thank you @DAF. Yes for sure additional water seems to be used in this newer model and I like that. And there’s always the turbo option which I like too. Sometimes all you need is a quick wash.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
You know one thing that’s kinda weird, I’ve always used Affresh cleaning tablets but i felt like it wasn’t cleaning the washer as well as with my old LG. So I got the OxiClean one and it gets in all the books and crannies. I dunno why. I’m sure there’s a perfectly scientific explanation for this that is above my pay grade. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know one thing that’s kinda weird, I’ve always used Affresh cleaning tablets but i felt like it wasn’t cleaning the washer as well as with my old LG. So I got the OxiClean one and it gets in all the books and crannies. I dunno why. I’m sure there’s a perfectly scientific explanation for this that is above my pay grade. :lol:

I use ultra clean liquid detergent because I multiple skin sensitivities and this detergent doesn’t aggravate my skin.

My dh uses Oxiclean for the stubborn stains.

I’m sorry I don’t know the reason your original detergent didn’t work well. Must be above my pay grade too lol.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I use ultra clean liquid detergent because I multiple skin sensitivities and this detergent doesn’t aggravate my skin.

My dh uses Oxiclean for the stubborn stains.

I’m sorry I don’t know the reason your original detergent didn’t work well. Must be above my pay grade too lol.

I use the same detergent as you for sensitive skin and to make sure my fur babies aren’t exposed to chemicals and perfumes. But I was referring to the monthly washing machine cleaning tablets.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use the same detergent as you for sensitive skin and to make sure my fur babies aren’t exposed to chemicals. But I was referring to the monthly washing machine cleaning tablets.

Haha ok definitely above my pay grade :lol:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know what model A & K have @missy, but their LG washer & dryer are only a few years old, and they’ve had absolutely no problems with them whatsoever. Their machine always seems to be on, and when I’ve used it, everything’s come out really clean. $200 for the small under washer is very reasonable, I haven’t seen them that cheap before. They have the drawer stands like yours.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know what model A & K have @missy, but their LG washer & dryer are only a few years old, and they’ve had absolutely no problems with them whatsoever. Their machine always seems to be on, and when I’ve used it, everything’s come out really clean. $200 for the small under washer is very reasonable, I haven’t seen them that cheap before. They have the drawer stands like yours.

Thanks Austina. I’ve always had good luck with LG despite some awful reviews. It really just comes down to the fact things aren’t built to last the way they used to and I guess 13 years isn’t bad. But oh I remember appliances lasting decades. And I never needed or wanted the newest model. But circumstances being what they are (and you know exactly what I mean) we must get a new washer and dryer before this current one gives out.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

We have Electrolux as well. Very happy with the pair.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not mean to thread Jack but am considering a new washing machine because for some insane reason ours puts these weird white streaks on black clothes. Does anyone else experience this? We have a cold water only washing machine bc it's more environmentally friendly, and I have tried every cycle type, using less detergent, more detergent, different detergent, etc, to no avail. We still get what looks like streaks of white dried detergent on our black clothes. It drives me insane, but I dont want to get a new washer just to have the same problem. Any tips? Or is this just somehow a problem with cold only washing machines?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you using a powder or a liquid detergent @lovedogs? Mine’s cold fill only too, and I used to get that with powder, but since switching to liquid, it doesn’t happen anymore.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you using a powder or a liquid detergent @lovedogs? Mine’s cold fill only too, and I used to get that with powder, but since switching to liquid, it doesn’t happen anymore.

We only use liquid, which makes the whole thing even weirder!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Thanks for this thread sorry about the reason why, but I understand why you want the features you do.

You know we are building the house so I am going to be looking for new washer and dryer. M&C just bought whatever was the cheapest on sale combo at Costco, theirs is a top loader washer, have that here in this rental, sorta like it but reviews say they don't clean as well. Love the red! hope you can get that again, it's Missy :)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@lovedogs do you have a water softener?
If not set out a glass of water overnight and see how much is settled in the bottom.
More than a very small amount is likely the problem since you tried other things.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs do you have a water softener?
If not set out a glass of water overnight and see how much is settled in the bottom.
More than a very small amount is likely the problem since you tried other things.

We have a water filter in the fridge for drinking water, but I'll try it with sink water. I'm pretty sure where we live has hard water.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any of the washer dryer sets on sale at Costco catch your eye?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results