shape
carat
color
clarity

Another thread by a guy who wants some advice from PS forum goers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fannibal

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I am new to PS and I''ve spent the last few weeks looking at diamonds, and spent the last few days getting quotes and seriously looking into buying a specific diamond. I want to thank all of you ahead of time for all your help!

I am currently interested in these diamonds and I was hoping you guys can help me decide which one is the best:

.93carat, G, VS2, H&A for ~$5500 from Good old gold
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3038/

Or, I am also considering a 1.02 carat, H, VS1, H&A for ~$5800 from James Allen
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=1060576

Here are my current thoughts about the 2 diamonds- the .93c one has a better balance of color and clarity, and is cheaper. The .93carat jump up to 1.02 carat only gives me less than .2mm width and .2mm length increase, which is hardly noticeable. Also, the GOG web site has a lot of charts and information about the specific diamond''s light performance, so I can be guaranteed that the cut is excellent. The James allen 1.02 diamond is relatively cheaper by the carat, is bigger(my to be fiance will be able to claim that it is a heavy 1 carat). The James allen diamond has a idealscope image that is hearts only, whereas the GOG diamond contains more information than I can digest, all telling me that its a perfect diamond. So guys, what shall it be, bigger diamond that might not be as well cut, or smaller diamond(and cheaper) that is definately extremely well cut? once again, thanks in advance for all your input!

-Fannibal

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think the GOG is the winner. The size diff is negligible, and it''s cheaper and quite pretty.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d say go with the GOG stone, unless you think bragging rights is worth the extra. Both are pretty stones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on your lady. BUT... I would go for the GOG too. .93 ideal cut is going to be bigger than the mediocre cut ''heavy'' 1 carats out there. Better color, better clarity. Less money on stones = nicer setting. No brainer... but I''m a PSer... we are a different breed.

fannibal

Rough_Rock
My fiance to be told me that my original post was biased favorably towards the .93 carat GOG diamond. Does anyone have any good things to say about James allen? the only thing missing is information about the light characteristics of the diamond. the AGS report is there, and the arrows idealscope image is there. Should I take the "risk" and go with james allen? Who knows, it might be just as good of a diamond but BIGGGEERR! And bigger is always better right?

i.e.

----------------
girl #1: "hey i heard you got engaged, congrats! can I see your ring?"

my future fiance: "sure"

girl #1: "looks nice, is it a 1 carat?

my future fiance: "well its a *little bit smaller* than a 1 carat. my fiance spent hours on pricescope finding the most perfect diamond. he could have gotten a bigger one, but chose to go for a more perfect cut... .... *5 minutes later* ... and that is why he bought this .93 carat diamond"

girl #1: "huh? so you mean he spent less to get you a smaller diamond, is that what you are saying?"

my future fiance: "ugh i guess... oh well"

-------------
The alternative

girl #1: "hey i heard you got engaged, congrats! can I see your ring?"

my future fiance: "sure"

girl #1: "looks nice, is it a 1 carat?

my future fiance: "yeah its a heavy one carat, and its cut well too"

girl #1: "well what? anyhow, size is all that matters right? I wouldn''t marry anyone who doesn''t get me at least a 1 carat ring"

my future fiance: "yeah good thing he got me at least a 1 carat ring"

girl #1: "yeah, size is everything."

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
James Allen will provide you with all the information you want. They are a great vendor.

Regarding the conversations.

Here is how, if it were me, it would go. No matter which one you chose:

"Wow look at your diamond! It's so sparkly and shiny. How big is that"

"Thanks! It's an ideal cut one carat. It's the cut that makes it sparkle and shine like that... my fiance spent hours finding out about diamonds! Didn't he do fabulous! "

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
I like the GOG stone and buying shy of 1 ct makes economical sense.

MWG

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Just so you know, if you walked into a jewelry store a .93 carat stone would be listed under 1ct. The 1.02ct stone would have the same listing. I''d say most women (not including PSers) generalize the ct weight of a stone. I don''t often hear "oh it''s 49 points" or "yeah, it''s 53 points." They''re both just a half carat.

Good Luck!

I''m looking forward to seeing the Simpson''s movie, too.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, most chain jewelry stores consider 1ct to start at .90 or .95.

I can understand the thought of "knowing" that you have a full 1ct diamond, but its really silly.
I guess that you''ve told your fiance about the two diamonds? It sounds like she wants the 1ct, if she said you were biased toward the other one. Or, if she doesn''t care, just get the .93!!!

P.S. Although those conversations are hilarious, they would NEVER go like that! And I agree with whoever said that they''d just tell everyone that it''s 1ct.

fannibal

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, I forgot to mention, but we are probably going to set the diamond in a 18k yellow gold setting. Because of that, do you guys recommend going with a lower color grade diamond perhaps down from a G to a H or I??

fannibal

Rough_Rock
Ok guys,

I am now considering the

.93 G VS2

and

1.015 G SI1
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3002/

The SI1 looks eye clean, and costs slightly more, but as you can see from previous posts, I would really like to hit the 1.0 carat mark. Is it a good buy? The HCA score for the 1.015 is excellent and the HCA score for the .93 is only Very good. The Gemex report for the .93 was better than the 1.015. Just to check, but gemex is more accurate than HCA correct? because HCA is only an approximation of light performance?

Finally, which one would you buy?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 2:02:15 PM
Author: fannibal
Ok guys,

I am now considering the

.93 G VS2

and

1.015 G SI1

The SI1 looks eye clean, and costs slightly more, but as you can see from previous posts, I would really like to hit the 1.0 carat mark. Is it a good buy? The HCA score for the 1.015 is excellent and the HCA score for the .93 is only Very good. The Gemex report for the .93 was better than the 1.015. Just to check, but gemex is more accurate than HCA correct? because HCA is only an approximation of light performance?

Finally, which one would you buy?
No. THE most important piece of info (outside of numbers) is the IS image.
2.gif

And the G SI1 is stellar. If it''s eyeclean, snatch it up now! And if you want to think on it, RESERVE it!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to add, the other IS is stellar too, but I know you want that ct. mark.

fannibal

Rough_Rock
Oh thanks for your advice ellen!

I also was wondering how GOG diamonds(these two that I looked at) compares to the whiteflash expert selection line, and also how it compares to the whiteflash a cut above line. It seems like GOG prices are similar to whiteflash ES line, and the ACA line is a few hundred dollars more than the comparable GOG diamonds. Am I comparing apples to oranges here? Are good old gold diamonds as good as a cut above diamonds?

-Fan

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2007 12:19:36 AM
Hey guys, I forgot to mention, but we are probably going to set the diamond in a 18k yellow gold setting. Because of that, do you guys recommend going with a lower color grade diamond perhaps down from a G to a H or I??
No. That shouldn''t make a difference. Plus, you want the stone to look as white as possible no matter what, AND the prongs won''t be yellow, so you should still be looking for something that faces up white. An ideal "I" might actually face up quite nicely, but if you end up with an "I" it should be with an eye toward saving money not because of the color of your setting.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 2:34:12 PM
Oh thanks for your advice ellen!

I also was wondering how GOG diamonds(these two that I looked at) compares to the whiteflash expert selection line, and also how it compares to the whiteflash a cut above line. It seems like GOG prices are similar to whiteflash ES line, and the ACA line is a few hundred dollars more than the comparable GOG diamonds. Am I comparing apples to oranges here? Are good old gold diamonds as good as a cut above diamonds?

-Fan
I own both (a GOG stone and ACA studs), and yes they are. You are comparing apples to apples.
2.gif

fannibal

Rough_Rock
what do you guys think about these two then

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-312257.htm#

both are around the same size. GOG one is G color vs the cut above one which is H color. both are SI1. I think both are relatively eye clean. jamie from whiteflash says her associate checked the ACA diamond and verified that its eye clean. I am going to contact GOG to see if theirs is eye clean as well. Any thoughts?

(by the way, thank you ellen for your quick responses)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 2:44:11 PM
what do you guys think about these two then

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-312257.htm#

both are around the same size. GOG one is G color vs the cut above one which is H color. both are SI1. I think both are relatively eye clean. jamie from whiteflash says her associate checked the ACA diamond and verified that its eye clean. I am going to contact GOG to see if theirs is eye clean as well. Any thoughts?

(by the way, thank you ellen for your quick responses)
You''re welcome.

Except for color, this is really splitting hairs. That said, I''d go for the G. You get a color grade higher for about the same price.

fannibal

Rough_Rock
Ok now that I am ready to buy the diamond,

Should I get it appraised before I buy? if so, is

http://www.gemappraisers.com/

a good place to get it appraised?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 3:53:44 PM
Ok now that I am ready to buy the diamond,

Should I get it appraised before I buy? if so, is

http://www.gemappraisers.com/

a good place to get it appraised?
Honestly? I don't think you need to get it appraised first. GOG was my first internet purchase, but I was so confident in them (from reading reviews here about them) and Jon, who I dealt with, that I didn't. I did however take it to an appraiser after I got it to:

1. Make sure the diamond matched the cert, mistakes do happen, though they are rare.

and

2. To make sure I got the deal I thought I was getting, which was confirmed.

I really think that's all you need.
28.gif

And anyone can do that, but if you're close to AGA, that would be great, they are more than qualified!

ETA You didn't say which stone, but this would apply to WF also!

fannibal

Rough_Rock
Oh I am probably going to buy the GOG 1.015 diamond with the Vatche royal crown setting in 18k yellow gold with platinum setting.

This is one of the biggest purchases i''ve ever made, so i''ve begun reading about mutual funds =)

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/five-mutual-funds-make-grade/story.aspx?guid=%7B6D1AFC35%2D4F81%2D4296%2D89D2%2D8CAFC59E3D1C%7D

this way, I can save up and get a nice little toy for myself in the future. anyone know anything about yatchs? ;-)

Sledneck27

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 4:35:22 PM
Does anyone have any good things to say about James allen?
The James Allen stone scores better on the HCA, that and the fact that its over a 1ct and is only $300 more would make me lean in that direction.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 5:27:06 PM
Author: Sledneck27

Date: 7/27/2007 4:35:22 PM
Does anyone have any good things to say about James allen?
The James Allen stone scores better on the HCA, that and the fact that its over a 1ct and is only $300 more would make me lean in that direction.
Sled, the HCA is designed to give you an idea of whether to proceed on getting more info on a stone. Once you do that (i.e. Sarin, Helium, IS, H&A pics, etc) you don''t need it anymore.

I really wish people would understand this. It can''t SEE the stone, it''s just predicting what it MIGHT do. It does not know all the facet numbers. It has no idea how well, or not, a stone is cut.

It''s moot at this point, as far as the stone fannibal has picked out. The IS trumps anything the HCA is saying. And it''s a AGS0 to boot.

I doubt seriously the JA stone is cut any better, and they don''t provide as much info as GOG. And even if it was cut as well, it''s splitting hairs at this level.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
And fannibal, please call GOG and put this stone on hold so someone doesn''t snatch it up!

fannibal

Rough_Rock
Heh ok sure thing, I''ll reserve it.

I just have some last minute hesitations about the diamond. I see a big blob in the idealscope image, but Good old gold reassured me that it is eye clean. Am I just being paranoid here? any last minute thoughts?

-Fan

Well one thought is that the inclusion appears to be black. It is almost certainly going to be visible from a profile view, but I think in the setting you are looking at that shouldn't really matter. All I know is, you need to start putting in the actual clickable links!

Also, I see no reason other than the lifetime upgrade policy (they do have that right?) to select the Good old gold. In a yellow setting an H color will be no problem at all, and there is no reason to think that the 40.6 combo is presenting any more problems than the 41 in the GOG selection, at least I suspect that will be the case on locating the JA IS image.... I know I would rather have the VS1 in that case anyway.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 1:22:46 AM
Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards

and on a side note, why on earth did JA change their website? is was so much prettier and more functional before? Dagnabbit, where the heck is the JA IS image?
Working what are you noticing...

generally (though I do see a different look), and
re the IS image...weren''t they only reliably with their "signature" selection. They''re still listed there...

Date: 8/1/2007 1:33:39 AM
Author: Regular Guy
Date: 8/1/2007 1:22:46 AM

Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards

and on a side note, why on earth did JA change their website? is was so much prettier and more functional before? Dagnabbit, where the heck is the JA IS image?

Working what are you noticing...

generally (though I do see a different look), and

re the IS image...weren't they only reliably with their 'signature' selection. They're still listed there...

I am sorry Ira, I do not understand what you just said: "re the IS image...weren't they only reliably with their 'signature' selection. "

And I am def. not seeing the IS image on this page...and yes it has changed, it used to be badge right? and a much prettier hearts/butterfly, much like the JA reps use as their avatar, and it seemed to be better organized before, for me at least.

Also, it is classifed as one of their Hearts and Arrows ideal which means it is in stock and I believe that is the highest classification or "signature" series that they have anymore.

I did find the IS image but I had to run an actual search and see it in the inventory list. I don't see it clickable from that page I linked? am i blind??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results