shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Tax Cheat Nominated to the Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 6:00:03 AM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 2/6/2009 3:32:19 AM

Author: klewis

Date: 2/5/2009 12:24:58 PM

Author: mscushion

Date: 2/5/2009 11:57:45 AM

Author: Dancing Fire

anyway, i think Americans never gave Bush credit for keeping us safe for the pass 7 yrs.

Interesting. That''s what my BF always says, too. He thinks the keeping safe part could end up being a big part of Bush''s legacy/how we remember him.

I hope your bf will consider his legacy not in terms of what he has or hasn''t done for US. I hope he looks beyond American shores and considers his international legacy.

You keep bringing that up.

Frankly a a very large chunk of the US population don''t care what the international community thinks says or does.

I am tired of them thinking they have any right to say anything about what we do.

They are irrelevant.

We need to withdraw from NATO, UN, NAFTA and all the other BS groups and agreements and bring our jobs home and put America first!!!!

The US has saved the world a couple of times already. It has done more for the rest of the world, than the rest of the world has ever done for it. So yeah, I''m not interested in what France or Germany or Iran or North Korea thinks of us. And if this kind of thinking affects the foreign policy decisions in our new administration (which by all indications it already has) then the only thing I can say is "God help us" !

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i want beebrisk to be our President !!
36.gif

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 12:04:29 PM
Author: beebrisk
The US has saved the world a couple of times already. It has done more for the rest of the world, than the rest of the world has ever done for it. So yeah, I''m not interested in what France or Germany or Iran or North Korea thinks of us. And if this kind of thinking affects the foreign policy decisions in our new administration (which by all indications it already has) then the only thing I can say is ''God help us'' !

U.S. interests are obviously not just domestically focused, they''re spread around the world, politically and economically. Hence, I think it''s a matter of sheer self-interest of the U.S. to have plenty of good will around the world. You get more done that way. That''s just realpolitik.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 3:31:28 PM

The US has saved the world a couple of times already. It has done more for the rest of the world, than the rest of the world has ever done for it. So yeah, I''m not interested in what France or Germany or Iran or North Korea thinks of us. And if this kind of thinking affects the foreign policy decisions in our new administration (which by all indications it already has) then the only thing I can say is ''God help us'' !

U.S. interests are obviously not just domestically focused, they''re spread around the world, politically and economically. Hence, I think it''s a matter of sheer self-interest of the U.S. to have plenty of good will around the world. You get more done that way. That''s just realpolitik.

Just the point, exactly. The rest of the world has no reason to think we are of "ill will". Pathological jealousy turns to "hate" real fast!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 4:29:29 PM

Just the point, exactly. The rest of the world has no reason to think we are of ''ill will''. Pathological jealousy turns to ''hate'' real fast!

Huh? so if other countries hate us, it is because they are "jealous" of us? Do you not believe in taking responsibility for one''s own action?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 7:24:21 AM
Author: strmrdr

Well said.
I for one am tired of the sacrifice our service men and women put out being put down.
Every way you measure it Iraq is a better place today than it was.
Karl~Just to clarify a point with you. I honor the sacrifices made by our servicemen and women. What happened after Viet Nam was a disgrace. That doesn''t mean I agree with going to war with these countries and I''ve stated my reasons for that.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 5:24:09 PM
Author: zhuzhu

The US has saved the world a couple of times already. It has done more for the rest of the world, than the rest of the world has ever done for it. So yeah, I'm not interested in what France or Germany or Iran or North Korea thinks of us. And if this kind of thinking affects the foreign policy decisions in our new administration (which by all indications it already has) then the only thing I can say is 'God help us' !

U.S. interests are obviously not just domestically focused, they're spread around the world, politically and economically. Hence, I think it's a matter of sheer self-interest of the U.S. to have plenty of good will around the world. You get more done that way. That's just realpolitik.

Just the point, exactly. The rest of the world has no reason to think we are of 'ill will'. Pathological jealousy turns to 'hate' real fast!

Huh? so if other countries hate us, it is because they are 'jealous' of us? Do you not believe in taking responsibility for one's own action?

The US has saved the world a couple of times already. It has done more for the rest of the world, than the rest of the world has ever done for it. So yeah, I'm not interested in what France or Germany or Iran or North Korea thinks of us. And if this kind of thinking affects the foreign policy decisions in our new administration (which by all indications it already has) then the only thing I can say is 'God help us' !

U.S. interests are obviously not just domestically focused, they're spread around the world, politically and economically. Hence, I think it's a matter of sheer self-interest of the U.S. to have plenty of good will around the world. You get more done that way. That's just realpolitik.

Just the point, exactly. The rest of the world has no reason to think we are of 'ill will'. Pathological jealousy turns to 'hate' real fast!

Huh? so if other countries hate us, it is because they are 'jealous' of us? Do you not believe in taking responsibility for one's own action?

Take responsibility for what? Saving Europe? Holding back Japan? Helping Israel build the only democracy in the Middle East? Liberating 53 million in Iraq? Yeah, I believe in it!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 10:45:49 PM

Take responsibility for what? Saving Europe? Holding back Japan? Helping Israel build the only democracy in the Middle East? Liberating 53 million in Iraq? Yeah, I believe in it!

If not for the unnecessary deaths of your own citizens in Iraq, then for the deaths of the Iraqi men, women and children, murdered by the US government in the illegal and uninvited invasion of their country.

My parents and others I know are always ecstatic when talking about the Americans and their actions in the Pacific during the 2nd World War. I know several elderly women who took American sailors that were here on shore leave, back to their homes to meet their parents and they took them dancing. They recount how courteous these guys were and they have so much admiration for America as a whole and the individual men when talking of those times. But they are also quite aware of the difference between the actions of America then and what you call the liberation of Iraq. The American lead invasion of Iraq should never be compared to it''s other heroic actions of the past, never!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 1:01:43 AM

If not for the unnecessary deaths of your own citizens in Iraq, then for the deaths of the Iraqi men, women and children, murdered by the US government in the illegal and uninvited invasion of their country.

My parents and others I know are always ecstatic when talking about the Americans and their actions in the Pacific during the 2nd World War. I know several elderly women who took American sailors that were here on shore leave, back to their homes to meet their parents and they took them dancing. They recount how courteous these guys were and they have so much admiration for America as a whole and the individual men when talking of those times. But they are also quite aware of the difference between the actions of America then and what you call the liberation of Iraq. The American lead invasion of Iraq should never be compared to it''s other heroic actions of the past, never!

Interesting comments, but I think that what is heroic is all relative. For example, using your example of WWII...there are many that feel like our bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (especially Nagasaki) weren''t heroic actions as it killed many innocent men, women, and children. Now this can be argued in many different ways, it''s justified in the US historically by the number of casualties an all-out invasion would have cost and it''s justified through numerous other ways in political theories...but it''s something to consider nonetheless.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes,the A bomb saved many lives on both side.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock

I "call" it a liberation because it was one. And I know I''m not alone. I think it would be interesting to ask the men and women who voted in the election last week what THEY''D call it. With all due respect, I''d be more interested in their opinions than that of anyone in New Zealand, Europe or anywhere else.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 2:14:49 AM

I ''call'' it a liberation because it was one. And I know I''m not alone. I think it would be interesting to ask the men and women who voted in the election last week what THEY''D call it. With all due respect, I''d be more interested in their opinions than that of anyone in New Zealand, Europe or anywhere else.

There is no doubt many are happy they can vote - if you asked. Perhaps you could go there and ask them - better take a flak jacket at very least. And don''t forget to ask the grieving families of the many thousands of dead Iraqis what they think of their "liberation" or, if you could, ask the dead themselves- "tell us, are you happy we liberated you?" I think you might need more than a flak-jacket though

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 1:18:48 AM
Author: SarahLovesJS

Interesting comments, but I think that what is heroic is all relative. For example, using your example of WWII...there are many that feel like our bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (especially Nagasaki) weren''t heroic actions as it killed many innocent men, women, and children. Now this can be argued in many different ways, it''s justified in the US historically by the number of casualties an all-out invasion would have cost and it''s justified through numerous other ways in political theories...but it''s something to consider nonetheless.

Yes I take your point though I think the actions of America and its allies defending their territory from an advancing Japan are so monumentally different from the devious, underhanded actions instigated by the previous President and Co., in order to justify the invasion of Iraq. The first was honourable, the second shameful.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 2:39:24 AM
Date: 2/7/2009 2:14:49 AM

I ''call'' it a liberation because it was one. And I know I''m not alone. I think it would be interesting to ask the men and women who voted in the election last week what THEY''D call it. With all due respect, I''d be more interested in their opinions than that of anyone in New Zealand, Europe or anywhere else.

There is no doubt many are happy they can vote - if you asked. Perhaps you could go there and ask them - better take a flak jacket at very least. And don''t forget to ask the grieving families of the many thousands of dead Iraqis what they think of their ''liberation'' or, if you could, ask the dead themselves- ''tell us, are you happy we liberated you?'' I think you might need more than a flak-jacket though

You know what? You''re right. Freedom almost always comes at a very high price...a tragic price as history has shown. Best not worrying about any country living under despotic, racist, sadistic rulers and carry on with our own lucky lives. After all, how important can a vote possibly be to these people? Why not ask the Kurds who lost tens of thousands after Saddam''s chemical attacks and systematic destruction of their villages in the name of ethnic cleansing? How bout asking the Shiites how important their vote is after not being allowed to practice their religion in their own way? Let''s talk to his "political enemies" whose children were slaughtered and don''t forget the women of the rape rooms. Why not grab your flak jacket and have a beer with the national soccer team and tell them their opportunity to vote is worthless. And anyway, isn''t playing the game far more exciting when you know a losing score means just a little torture?

Yeah, you''re right. Better they didn''t get to vote.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Bee~This is a list of dictatorships around the world, current and past. What would you have this country do about them and their people? FWIW, I am also Jewish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictatorship

ETA: I am looking for other sources.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 3:41:24 AM
Date: 2/7/2009 1:18:48 AM

Yes I take your point though I think the actions of America and its allies defending their territory from an advancing Japan are so monumentally different from the devious, underhanded actions instigated by the previous President and Co., in order to justify the invasion of Iraq. The first was honourable, the second shameful.

Thank you for clarifying your view.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results