shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Stroller Thread . . .

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Oh Mara, THANK YOU for your input!

Seriously, it is funny how the stroller choices stress me out! And you are among the PS moms I want to copy or reference for EVERYTHING - stroller, toys, sleeping schedules for baby & etc! So thank you!!! PS moms are so smart and ahead of the curve! I took DH to look at strollers today and we're heavily leaning toward the Bugaboo Frog. His favorites were the Bugaboo Cameleon ($990 and I don't know why they spell it wrong - trademark issue? :rodent: ) or the Bugaboo Frog ($629 marked down from $729). We both like the Frog because it's more compact (about 3 inches smaller and about 3 lbs lighter, I think?) but he said the Cameleon had a slightly smoother ride. You're so right, Mara - the Frog and Cameleon do feel slightly bigger than the Indie!

DH was funny because he tried the Frog first and said it wasn't smooth enough! I was like, "Dude, if you don't think the Bugaboos aren't smooth - try the other ones." That changed his point of reference! I think the Bugaboos and the Bumblerides are super smooth - they make the other strollers seem rickety to me. Haven't tried the much loved BOB, though! I am super duper bummed because the store didn't have the Bumbleride Indie. That is seriously my favorite because of the PS moms and the great reviews. I wanted DH to see it.

Anyway! I loved how the UPPAbaby Vista folded up. They had 2 reps there and they showed us all the tricks it could do. It's huge and awesome for storing things under the seat... just too big for Manhattan, I think. I love how the Bugaboo Cameleon and Frog turn around and turn into a high chair - key for sitting in crowded restaurants. I've read, however, that storage bins under the Bugaboos are a pain in the tush because the baskets are small & can't handle much weight. They do look small and shallow to me.

Anyway... anyone watch Teen Mom on MTV? The 16-year-old mom got a $20 stroller for her infant and they seemed fine. Made me think, "Surely if a $20 stroller is fine for a lot of people, whatever choice I make out of the top picks can't be a horrible one." Breathe, Bliss! Breathe! LOL... so many choices. This thread helped me a lot, though! So THANK YOU all! :wavey:

ETA: All of them come with the bassinets, which make me laugh because I can't see using them very much. I don't plan on taking the baby out the first few months except for vaccinations. I feel terrified of wheeling the baby out in a stroller among all the cars, bikes and people! At least with the bassinet you can see your baby high above the stuff, but it scares me a little to have the baby facing out with all the dogs, exhaust and traffic on our crazy NY streets. :errrr: New parent phobia!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Bliss, you're so cute, thank you. PS Moms are pretty fabulous with their knowledge, I just hang on the coat tails!!

re: the basket size, the Bumble is not huge either and honestly I don't use it THAT often. I do actually grocery shop with it sometimes and just use it as the basket so I don't carry one as well but I don't do like our full weekly shopping with it--more like if I just want to make dinner and need a few extra things.

The Bugs change into high chairs?? That is pretty cool, I didn't know that.

I've seen the Uppa at our local park with the bassinet being used-- I always thought that was kind of funny. We took J out in the first few months but we just put him in the car seat and then put that in the stroller. Though I guess in Manhattan if you don't really drive you don't get a car seat?? Never thought about that one before! So bassinet would make sense then.

Anyhow, aren't the Bugs pretty popular in NY? There's prob a reason for it!

One thing I will say that I wish the Bumble had is the reversible seat so that J could turn around and face me. Esp for our long walks. BUT on the flip side-- I also think if he did face me he'd be more interested in me than he would be in looking around. So I think facing away from me forces him to engage and look around externally not related to me AND frees me up too because I find when I am sitting anywhere facing him or looking at him (like a restaurant), I feel like I should be engaging him or talking to him. So in the stroller we are both forced to have our 'own time'. ::)

And yup you are pretty much right in general in that a cheap stroller is prob as fine as a more expensive one, obviously it gets the job done. I never expected to spend $400 on a stroller, heck no. I wanted the City Mini for $229--but in the end I am so happy we went the Bumble way. It has fit 99% of what I wanted it for and shopping for a stroller was def stressful. SO many options, I just wanted someone to tell me what to get!! Thankfully Mandarine mentioned the Bumble and I looked into it.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Mara! THANK YOU! PS Moms are so fabulous - I have no idea what I would do without you all. I have learned SO much and gained so many tips and tricks over the years. Who knew a jewelry site would help me raise my child? But I find it's the best for that, too!

Yes, the Bugaboos are very popular in NY. I suspect that it's more to do with the branding, though. People seem to love theirs, even though the reviews online are mixed. Good tip about the bassinet, thanks! It's true - I don't think we'll much driving with the bebe for the first few months. I'll only go on a few short trips on foot if I have to... In my la la land fantasy, we'll pretty much stay indoors for the first 3 months aside from doctor's appointments. Watch me get cabin fever and ditch that plan, though! :naughty:

DH and I went to Buy Buy Baby today and checked out the Bumbleride Indie. I really love it! He liked it, too. For some reason, he likes the UPPAbaby Vista and keeps asking to see it. Of all of the strollers, though - I think we're going to get the Bugaboo Cameleon or Frog. It just feels the most comfortable and I like the feel of it the best. I'm a little irritated at myself for liking the Bugs so much because I always swore I would not be one of *those* NY moms with the ubiquitous Bugaboos. Eeek.

Loves Vintage! Thanks for the link! The Stokke Xplory was the first stroller I gravitated to in the store when I first went. :love: I love the high tech look of it - the design is so cool. But pushing it is another story. I don't know what it is about Stokke for me, personally. It's a high end brand and their designs are so awesome but the products just seem rickety to me. It has that hard plastic tinny feeling instead of the reassuring solid rubbery stable feeling. I also feel like it could tip over because the center of mass is up higher? It sure does look super cool and is compact. I love their designs... But it doesn't feel as luxe as it looks. I guess I want it to feel as good as it looks when I push it. I must admit that it is the coolest looking stroller on the block, though!!! I do see a lot of them!

I am loving how one big decision is out of the way. I have no idea why strollers stressed me out so much initially! There are just so many to choose from and they're all excellent for one feature or another. I would love to check out the BOB one day, too! :appl: Happy pushing, everyone!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you found something you like Bliss..!! Don't worry about brands, just buy what you like! I also was considering the Bugaboo (Bee) and was like 'really?' hehee. But reviews worried me since they said that it was kind of short and small for bigger kids. We had no idea how big J would be but I am glad we didn't get it since he's already pretty big.

The stroller was prob one of the most stressful decisions for me... so silly maybe but I really wanted something that I loved since we planned to have it for years. I really just wanted one stroller, but we ended up getting an umbrella too for small spaces and I am really happy with our choices.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Mara! I know! I know! I mean, WHEW! The relief is tremendous! :snore: <--- This is me snoring after the frenzy of stroller stress! Hahahaha.

Oh, you are right in the aspect of seat size! The Bugaboo seat is narrow and I don't think a growing boy (even one as gorgeous and as perfect as yours) would fit in there comfortably for long. I've read complaints about it only being good for babies and less so for toddlers. The Indie rocks, anyway! A much better value, too. I'll definitely need a liner or cushion for the Bug seat because it's not as cushy. I figured it would be a good starter stroller and if I need to buy another one or two... I can just get them down the road. The Bugs have pretty good resale value, I think. Everyone was fighting over the Indie so we didn't have a chance to play with it as much as we wanted! Those stroller stores are mayhem!!! MAYHEM!!! :wavey: I love love love love love the Indie's super nice sunshade. It's so big and comforting!

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
bliss, i have the cameleon and love it to death. i used it with B for the first few months when i went on walks and used it for N also, and i plan on using it for the new baby when he/she pops. it's a really great stroller. DH was really opposed to getting it as he didn't understand why strollers were almost 1K but once we got it, he was in love. the poor stroller has not been touched in ages though. right now i am all about my double BOB. LOVE LOVE LOVE the BOB. if you get the cameleon, i'm sure you'll love it, but i'm sure you'll love whatever you decide on. good luck!!

and i really love how the fabrics can be changed to make things kinda fun..what a nerd i am i know!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Puffy, thanks! I'm still debating on which Bugaboo to get - Cameleon or Frog. We're leaning toward the Frog but tempted by the Cameleon, too!

May I ask which accessories you recommend getting? Part of me wants to go nuts and get everything. On my Bugaboo accessories list are: cupholder, all terrain wheels, newborn cocoon (will this be a waste?), footmuff (bigger version of the cocoon), diaper bag, seat liner, car seat adapter and possibly the breezy sun canopy with mesh and fabric? Oof, there is so much! I have always envied the babies in the cozy footmuffs because they look so warm and toasty in there! I have often wished there was an adult version so I could lie in there while DH wheeled me around town! Hehehehe.

bugaboofootiemuff.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Stokke Xplory owner here... I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my stroller! I live in central London so I needed a lightweight urban stroller.

Pros:
- has an incredibly small footprint
- lightweight
- baby is very high up: out of reach of exhaust fumes, slobbery dogs etc. The child can look out of bus windows and when at the zoo etc you don't have to keep lifting them up to see things. If you're tall or have back problems (I have both) then you're not having to bend down to pick them up/put them in. Also very easy to have good contact with the baby.
- so easy to push, you can do it with one finger even with baby in it. Also turns on a sixpence so you don't get stuck in places.
- doubles as a highchair in restaurants.
- handlebar is extendable and flips up so more space-saving on public transport.
- faces either way and is very easy to turn one way or another without taking the child out.
- two wheel option so you can go up and down steps - again without taking the baby out.
- should last from birth to age 4
- 3 year warranty from Stokke
- very hardy plus solid tires so no punctures etc
- shopping bag is HUGE but folds up really small when not in use.
- there's no bar between the wheels so you can walk without hitting your legs on it.
- the new version has a buggy-board for a toddler to ride on if you have 2 kids.
- you can put the car-seat on like a SnG.

Cons:
- This is an urban stroller - it does not do off-road!
- It can't be folded easily. It comes apart very easily when you want to put it in a car, but not if you are out as it's in two separate pieces.
- moving the foot rest needs 3 hands - although they've fixed this on the new 2010 model.

I really can't say enough good things about this. It's really secure and sturdy - I worried at the beginning as it's so high up but it's very safe. I was also worried that it looked plasticy - the new model now has textiles that cover over the plastic bits... it's not a functional issue, just aesthetical!

I use public transport daily and it's a dream on escalators, buses and the tube. I see so many people struggling on with these mammoth strollers and mine just fits easily into anywhere.

The new version is amazing looking and corrects nearly all the minor niggles with the first - like the foot rest thing - plus the front bar now opens up so you can get a sleeping baby in and out more easily.

The bassinet is a total waste of money as the seat reclines flat (very easy to do) - Daisy didn't even want the lie-flat option as a tiny thing, she liked to look out. The foot-muff is great though and I use that all the time at the moment. I don't care for the rain cover but have found another company that makes one to fit that is much nicer. The parasol is also a bit of a waste of time IMHO, but that may be because we don't have much sun in the UK. I have the black version but love the new purple one - if it wasn't a stupid idea (I keep telling myself this) I'd sell this one and buy the new one I like the new features so much!

Stokke are a great company and really listen to what their customers say - I spoke to them and actually suggested most of the changes on the new model when I saw the rep last year - I'm sure lots of us had thought of the same things that would just improve it, but great to see a company that takes it on board. I was so impressed with the quality I now have the Sleepi as well, and will probably sell my Bloom highchair and get the Tripp Trapp instead.

The other brand I looked at was Bugaboo - the Bee is lightweight, but the child grows out of it so fast and according to my SIL, who sold hers after 2 months, it's very flimsy. The Chameleon is just too big for getting around on public transport easily. Also I wanted height and didn't want a bassinet particulary and, it was WAY more expensive than the Stokke. The Frog I rarely see here anymore and a lot of people had complaints about it - I can't remember the details but could find out if anyone is interested.

I was the only person in my immediate area with a Stokke and I was/am stopped by pregnant couples everywhere asking about it. There are now 4 other Stokke owners in my street all of whom I recommended it to and they all love it.

By the way, I do not work for or have any connection with Stokke, I am just a super happy customer!

My other love is my Mei Tai which I use whenever I'm doing a short-trip or don't want to take a stroller. Daisy is now over 20lbs, I've had major spinal surgery and I carried her for nearly 3 hours on Saturday without a break and pain-free. I have the Ellaroo model. I reckon you could easily just use a sling for the first 6 months - I used the stroller as a place to put shopping a lot of the time.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Oh man, Pandora.... Your review rocks and now I'm wondering if I should revisit the Stokke. I have read that floor models aren't put together well and can be rickety - yours is very solid? The one I test drove squeaked and seemed rickety so I'm thinking that (based on your review) it was the floor model. The fabulous Stokke crib set floor model also seemed rickety - do you think the people at Buy Buy Baby just have no idea how to put them together properly??? I swear, it swayed and didn't seem sturdy to me. I was crushed because it was the crib I was planning on getting based on the functionality and amazing design. Now I'm thinking the floor models aren't put together correctly. Stokke is, from what I know, a high end brand so I was perplexed! That, or maybe a zillion people tried it out and road tested it to make it more worn out since it's such a popular crib set and stroller. ETA: and I think they're about the same price now as the Bugaboo Cameleon.

Thanks for the review! I was all set to pull the trigger on the Bugaboo Cameleon (we nixed the Frog today) but now I'll have to go see the Stokke Xplory. Your pros and cons points are exactly what are important to us. Hmmmmm.... and it IS the coolest looking stroller around. I love the way it looks. If yours is sturdy then Buy Buy Baby needs to re-configure their floor model!!!! Thanks also for the advice on the foot muff / cocoon. I guess we'll need one of those, too! I bet your little one looks so cute bundled up in it! I love those cocoons! :love:

Oh! And since you mentioned carriers - do you like the Mei Tai over the K'tan? I was all set to get the K'Tan after trying it on in the store but your review is intriguing! I'm a fan of walking, too - also in an urban area so your advice is really valuable, thank you!

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
bliss, we have the cup holder (a must IMO), the footmuff, seat liner (never used), car seat adapter, sun canopy (hardly used) diaper bag (never touched), and the all terrain tires.

for the diaper bag, if you don't want to be carrying it and would rather hang it on the stroller, i would recommend getting one of those bag hanger type things so it will be easier to hang the bag onto the stroller if you get a non bugaboo diaper bag. some double handle diaper bags, like totes, do not hang well on the bugaboo only cause the straps on the bag don't allow them to.
a lot of the accessories was kind of a waste but we got it the first time around, and didn't now any better. haha!!
and the car seat adapter only if you don't plan on using a snap and go type thing. but one or the other is an absolute must, IMO only cause in the first few months when all they do is sleep, it's much easier to leave them in the car seat than to keep taking them in and out and waking them up.

good luck!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Bliss|1289262034|2758764 said:
Oh man, Pandora.... Your review rocks and now I'm wondering if I should revisit the Stokke. I have read that floor models aren't put together well and can be rickety - yours is very solid? The one I test drove squeaked and seemed rickety so I'm thinking that (based on your review) it was the floor model. The fabulous Stokke crib set floor model also seemed rickety - do you think the people at Buy Buy Baby just have no idea how to put them together properly??? I swear, it swayed and didn't seem sturdy to me. I was crushed because it was the crib I was planning on getting based on the functionality and amazing design. Now I'm thinking the floor models aren't put together correctly. Stokke is, from what I know, a high end brand so I was perplexed! That, or maybe a zillion people tried it out and road tested it to make it more worn out since it's such a popular crib set and stroller. ETA: and I think they're about the same price now as the Bugaboo Cameleon.

Thanks for the review! I was all set to pull the trigger on the Bugaboo Cameleon (we nixed the Frog today) but now I'll have to go see the Stokke Xplory. Your pros and cons points are exactly what are important to us. Hmmmmm.... and it IS the coolest looking stroller around. I love the way it looks. If yours is sturdy then Buy Buy Baby needs to re-configure their floor model!!!! Thanks also for the advice on the foot muff / cocoon. I guess we'll need one of those, too! I bet your little one looks so cute bundled up in it! I love those cocoons! :love:

Oh! And since you mentioned carriers - do you like the Mei Tai over the K'tan? I was all set to get the K'Tan after trying it on in the store but your review is intriguing! I'm a fan of walking, too - also in an urban area so your advice is really valuable, thank you!

Bliss, really do go and have another look at the Stokke. It sounds like their floor-models are either over-abused or badly put together. I'm pretty hard on my stroller and it doesn't squeak - I suppose they might feel less solid than other strollers especially sans child, but that is one of the reasons that they are so lightweight. The materials are aircraft standard and the seat will take a 4 year-old so it really is very sturdy. It should be incredibly smooth and silent to push on a surface like a shopping mall or pavement. It'll bounce about a bit over cobble stones etc but Daisy seems to like that (sends her off to sleep sometimes!).

I have the Sleepi cot (not the bassinet, but the size up) that can then convert to a toddler bed. Sounds to me as if it's been put together badly as it should be super solid. I have Daisy's down at the lowest level with one of the sides off so she can get in and out on her own. I have sat on it a couple of times - which I don't think I should probably do - and it held my weight fine. It comes with a 7 year warranty and that includes if you buy it second-hand - the warranty is transferable. The only thing I don't particularly like are the Stokke sheets and bumpers - I replaced the bumper with a different one I liked from a UK manufacturer, but I've only just started using it. The sheets there are lots of people on eBay and probably Etsy who make sheets to fit that are nicer and cheaper. The mattress is foam and very comfortable but again if you prefer a different kind there are manufacturers who will produce them.

I bought the Xplory new and got a great deal where it came with the carseat for free (and still cost less than the Chameleon), but the Sleepi I bought from someone on eBay - they had used it for their 2 kids and it still looks almost brand-new and is rock solid.

The other accessory I love with the Xplory is the hard-shell diaper bag - I think the new one is more of a soft satchel thing but the old model is still around. You can drop it and nothing damages inside, DH will happily carry it, it fits on the stroller or you can wear it as a backpack or over one shoulder or in your hand. Plenty of space inside for diapers, wipes, a change of clothes, my crap, plus a changing mat is included... if you are exclusively bottle feeding then it might be a bit small as you can only really fit one bottle.

Carriers: I've never tried the K'tan I'm afraid. I know that Blen, Cdt and I are all Mei Tai fans - they both have the BabyHawk I think. I had a Bjorn to start with and loathed the thing plus it's not great for the baby as they are hanging by the crotch rather than supported under the hips and knees. If I was starting over I would use a Moby for the first few months and then transition to the Mei Tai once the baby had good head control. The carrier is another reason for having a backpack diaper bag - baby on front, bag on back and hands free for shopping/umbrella/phone etc!

Seriously have another look at the Xplory and if they have one try putting the lead-filled baby weight teddy bear in it (we have them over here for testing carriers and strollers). I know lots of people love the Chameleon but I think it's very bulky and heavy for a purely urban stroller and doesn't have the huge plus of height.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results