shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Stroller Thread . . .

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
HOU, I was going between the ruby and seagrass as well, but our carseat was red and black and red is pretty much my favorite color, so I went for ruby. For some reason on all the closeout deals, only seagrass and spice were at a big discount, but I found a site that was willing to do a pricematch on the ruby color, so def bargain with them because they are trying to move the closeouts.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies. Hoping to just jump on this thread and not have to start yet ANOTHER stroller thread! :tongue:

Ok so to switch gears away from the Bumbleride for a minute:

I have a BOB that I love.

We inherited a Maclaren, but it's like 8 years old and just doesn't work like I want it too. So I need to pick up a lightweight umbrella stroller. I know everyone recommends the Volo but I am looking at other options.

So here are my finds:

Uppababy G-Luxe
http://www.amazon.com/UPPAbaby-0061HM-DNY-G-Luxe-Stroller-Denny/dp/B003OBU0KM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1284655987&sr=1-1

Baby Jogger City Micro
http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=18397

Things that I am looking for: easy open/close, big canopy, comfy, not ugly.

Anyone have any thoughts on these strollers?

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I have an uppa and I love. love. love. it.

why:

It includes the bassinet, which we used from the very beginning. great canopy and comes with a mosquito net (for a summer infant very nice). She's also used the bassinet as her travel bed on multiple occassions and that really cut down on the things that we needed to pack on trip. Kind of similar to a moses basket I guess.

We are just graduating to the regular seat as she likes to sit up much more these days. lots of positions. again great canopy, huge basket, my tall husband can push it comfortably.

the only cons that i see are the price (though I scouted a pretty substantinal store coupon and cash back deal) and it's a bit heavy/bulky.

So far, it's been our only stroller, because if we are going somewhere that requires more manuverability, I just put the babe in a carrier/sling.

China - this isn't going to be too helpful, but we also own the g-luxe. The quality of my vista is superb and had a few great reviews from others about the g-luxe. When I saw it on giltgroupe (one of those sale websites), I made the purchase. I've taken it out and it seems great. I really like that it's light, but with a great recline. Though I haven't actually used it yet ::)

Edited - I think that the g-luxe is almost 10 lbs lighter than the city . . .

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
China, I don't have experience with either, but I love the look of the Baby Jogger! That said, 11 pounds vs. 20 pounds is a huge difference. My umbrella stroller, Graco IPO, is 17 pounds, and I find it to be a bit heavy for a light weight stroller. So I guess the g-lux might be the better option of the 2.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
China, we just got the Volo (on eBay for $65 so I couldn't pass it up) based on so many positive reviews.

I think someone else has the Uppa G-Lite maybe and recommended it? I def looked at it and the Luxe. And the Triumph for Mac Laren. But we wanted something super basic and easy and not expensive.

I don't have anything to add about the Micro but the weight diff would be a big one to me... the umbrella we got I wanted to be light and easy basically.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine just got the Phil &Teds Smart and it is absolutely amazing! Inexpensive, lightweight, durable, easy to fold. You can purchase the bassinet attachment to start using it from the infant stage. I wish this stroller had been around when I was looking--it's really pretty great and could possibly be your one and only stroller. Granted, I'm a P&T fan in general but I think they really get it right every time. Just wanted to share and I don't know which stroller thread to add to so I'll put it here!

http://philandteds.com/productsus/pushus/smartus

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
We picked up a new Maclaren Four Seasons umbrella stroller at TJ Maxx for $179 (marked down from $400 or something ridiculous like that). Not sure if everyone has a TJ Maxx or Marshalls in your area, but they seem to have improved their baby section a bit.

The nice thing about the Four Season stroller is that it comes with a bundle me-type cover, rain cover, warm blanket, several different replacement prints (in case you get bored with the standard khaki color), and some other knick knacks that I can't quite remember right now. :praise:

CatLuver

Shiny_Rock
I have a question about the Bumbleride Indie...I checked it out at a store today and it seems like a jogging stroller, but the website says it is not a true jogging stroller, but an all-terrain stroller that can be used for brisk walks. Does anyone jog with it? I was hoping to be able to. The alternative would be the Baby Jogger but that seemed bigger, with fewer features. The BOB just seemed way too big for me.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
CatLuver said:
I have a question about the Bumbleride Indie...I checked it out at a store today and it seems like a jogging stroller, but the website says it is not a true jogging stroller, but an all-terrain stroller that can be used for brisk walks. Does anyone jog with it? I was hoping to be able to. The alternative would be the Baby Jogger but that seemed bigger, with fewer features. The BOB just seemed way too big for me.
Hi, I have the Indie and jog with it every other day. I go about 3 miles and don't go at a hugely fast pace. I think it's great for light jogging, but if you're going to be training for a marathon or something where you're running 10 miles a day, the BOB would be better.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Steph that it can prob be used for very light running or slow running, some people's 'brisk walking' is other people's slow running pace, aka 4-4.5mph. But if you are going to be doing long runs with it or fast runs, it's prob not the best. It has a wheel you can lock into place so it's fixed for a run OR let it swivel for walks--this is one of the features I liked about it.

CatLuver

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Steph and Mara. I don't plan on jogging more than 4-5mph, so it should be ok...maybe. The BOB just seemed so big, and I don't want to get another smaller infant stroller too.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I have the BOB and my friend has the Indie. We walk together pretty often. Without looking at the specs, I would have guessed that her Indie is maybe bigger than the BOB! Are you sure it is smaller? I would double check that before rejecting the BOB. I think both are really great strollers. I run often and wanted a true jogger. Once I tried the BOB in person, I looked no further.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
TanDogMom said:
I have the BOB and my friend has the Indie. We walk together pretty often. Without looking at the specs, I would have guessed that her Indie is maybe bigger than the BOB! Are you sure it is smaller? I would double check that before rejecting the BOB. I think both are really great strollers. I run often and wanted a true jogger. Once I tried the BOB in person, I looked no further.

TDM the Indie is smaller than the BOB. I know this because the BOB would not fit in our trunk based on dimensions, but the Indie would. Our trunk was pretty limited since our car is smaller so this was a big selling point for us. But that said, the difference was not HUGE. The Indie is also I believe 4lbs lighter than the BOB. 21lbs vs 25lbs? Something like that.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I think I'm in the market for a new stroller. The triumph is ok but there are things I want that it just doesn't have:

-the sunshade is terrible and in FL, I need one that is better. Plus it has this fabric in the back of the sunshade that is a PITB. When the seat is reclined back, the fabric gets in her face.
-the storage is also terrible. Luckily I have a very small diaper tote but if I have to carry snacks and/or sippy, it gets full. Which brings me to my next item
-snack tray. I never thought I would need one but it is so handy. When we're going around the mall or walking around the neighborhood, I have to lean over the stroller to hand her snacks. If she's drinking water, she has nowhere to put it so she either leaves it on the side which wets her pants and stroller or she tosses it on the ground :rolleyes:

So what I'm looking for is something compact but that also has a good under stroller storage and a snack tray. Anyone have any recs?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Just to let you gals know...

The Cybex Castillo is back on MamaBargains. It has been on since last night, so I'm not sure how much longer it will be there.

I think I might pull the trigger this time.... :sick:

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Fiery, no personal experience, but I've just been searching for a new umbrella stroller and it looks like maybe the Peg Perego Si and the Chicco C4 would fit your criteria.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Fiery- In same boat as you. Have an old Maclaren Triumph but I hate it. I think it is so hard to open/close and the sunshade is terrible and it doesn't stand up on its own. I was thinking of the Uppababy G-Luxe, but have heard mixed reviews. But they are sold out everywhere so I haven't been able to check them out.

I was in a place and the saleslady showed me an Aprica. It's a bit pricey, but it was super nice.
http://www.rightstart.com/aprica-presto-stroller-orange.html?display_recs_fl=false

I personally really like the City Micro but I think it's too heavy for travel (more like 20 lbs).

I'm still looking...

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2009 Bumbleride Indie Question --

So, I got my Bumbleride!! :appl: I found a 2009 in Ruby on Craigslist and the deal was too good to pass up! I paid $180, and it's pretty close to brand new condition!!!!!! The tires look almost unused. The seller used it mostly for city sidewalk walking.

Anyway, I immediately noticed the hood has a very cute trim. I *think* it was a leaf pattern on a cream colored background. I haven't looked at it again after we picked it up, and actually meant to take a photo to post here, but I am wondering if it might actually be the 2008 model. Does anyone who has the 2009 model know what I'm talking about? Seller didn't have owner's manual, so I need to track that down on-line.

TIA!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steph has the red 2009 model, maybe she can answer. I am pretty sure it has a contrast pattern though--or at least I remember seeing one like that. Not sure if it was hers.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh, I think I just found a picture of the 2009 with the contrasting pattern. I think I'm good now. ::) User manuals are on the bumbleride site too, so I'm all set!!

I have to say, even my DH was impressed with the Indie, and not much seems to impress him. So happy to have this checked off my list!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I've got another stroller question for the wise and experienced ladies here....has been asked before, but I wanted to throw it out there again in case anyone has new info to offer since the last time umbrellas were discussed.

What lightweight umbrella stroller should I get? Keeping in mind that we've already got the Indie for most purposes...the umbrella would be for when she's bigger and we're traveling, or my mom is running around town with her, etc. I'm thinking super lightweight, basic and easy, preferably not too expensive (low 100's or less), but ideally good quality.

Also, LV: My 2010 Ruby Indie has the cute ivory/black leaf trim too, I think every year model in Ruby has it! It's super cute, huh?? :bigsmile: Congrats on your awesome CL find!!!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Just saw this....my ruby 2009 model has the leaf pattern, I love it!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
HOUMedGal said:
OK, I've got another stroller question for the wise and experienced ladies here....has been asked before, but I wanted to throw it out there again in case anyone has new info to offer since the last time umbrellas were discussed.

What lightweight umbrella stroller should I get? Keeping in mind that we've already got the Indie for most purposes...the umbrella would be for when she's bigger and we're traveling, or my mom is running around town with her, etc. I'm thinking super lightweight, basic and easy, preferably not too expensive (low 100's or less), but ideally good quality.

Also, LV: My 2010 Ruby Indie has the cute ivory/black leaf trim too, I think every year model in Ruby has it! It's super cute, huh?? :bigsmile: Congrats on your awesome CL find!!!
We got a Volo on sale at Home Goods for $79. I like it for quick trips out, but it is pretty basic....I would not have paid full price for it ($130), but they always have deals at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Home Goods, etc.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, I hadn't thought about Home Goods - thanks for the tip!! The one thing I've read about the Volo that makes me hesitate is I've read it's not very padded and thus not comfy for longer strolls....but it would probably serve my purposes if I'm using the Indie for those longer strolls. I'd pay the Home Goods price for it too, though!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto the Volo...we got one too. I got mine on eBay for $65 w/free ship and we love it so far. They had like 10 avail so maybe there are still some left. Ours is the lime green which is actually surprisingly fun and not obnoxious in person.

It is very bare bones. But it's an umbrella and I didn't need it to have bells and whistles. Sometimes I do see the slightly nicer ML's... the Quest maybe or the other one... with padding and extra this or that but in reality the Volo is fine for our needs.

We use the Indie for all my 'long' walks or bigger jaunts out and about where comfort is key. It's also easier to maneuver, push around, wheel back and around a circle etc. But the Volo is great for outdoor festivals, malls, etc. Even the Volo footprint, which is very small for a stroller is STILL big in a small store. I actually hate strollers in general for that very reason. Half the time I prefer to carry the kid if it's a 15 min trip.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Cool, thanks for the ebay link Steph!!

Mara, thx for the Volo review! It may be the best way to go for us too - I love the Indie so much that I know we will use it in the great majority of situations. My mom tried lifting the folded Indie this weekend and requested something a bit lighter for when she's running around with Ellie (and she was rather impressed when I told her that the Indie is on the lighter side when it comes to full function strollers!)

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
No Bugaboo fans? I went to Planet Kids in NY and the stroller expert's favorite stroller was the Uppa Vista. His next was the Bugaboo Cameleon. I must admit, the Uppa was awesome but sooooo huge for maneuvering around tiny Manhattan. If I lived in the burbs, I would TOTALLY get it. The seat is so much cushier. The Bugaboo seat is kind of hard and bare compared to the Uppa's seat but I really love how compact it is and how smooth the ride is. With the Uppa, I feel like I am pushing an SUV. Not good for my confidence in maneuvering around narrow aisles and crowded sidewalks.

The Bugaboo Frog (slightly smaller and lighter than the Cameleon) is being discontinued this year. It's going on crazy sale so I'm tempted. For some reason, the stroller expert wasn't a fan of my #2 pick - the Bumbleride Indie. I've read mixed reviews for all Bugaboos and don't want to buy one for the branding but it really does feel nice to push around. Hmmmm! What to do, what to do? I feel like just getting the Bumbleride Indie because so many of you love it! :love:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bliss, I considered the Bugaboo Bee but not the other ones because of their price. And I think they are a bit bigger than the Indie? I was really particular about specs/price. The Indie was more than I preferred to spend but on sale it was not bad $400. I think the Chameleon and Frog were more like $600+?

You should check out the Indie from a comparison perspective and make your own judgments...definitely. I did see the Uppa and the Chameleon in the store with the Indie and they looked really nice. But again that price diff was huge for me. If the Frog is $400 or something, I would totally consider it!

jesterjigger

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for BOB from me! We've used it as our main stroller for 8.5 months (since DS's birth). We got a Snap N Go and I hated pushing it after experiencing the BOB. We also have the Graco stroller that came w/our carset and it's nice, but I still prefer the BOB.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results