carat
color
clarity

Another Stroller Thread . . .

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Moms and Moms-to-be,

Apologies in advance for starting another stroller thread, but you ladies love giving advice about stollers, right? Right? I really have such a tough time making decisions, and well, you all do give great pertinent advice, so here goes!

I think I am fairly well set on the Graco snap and go. I had planned to get the frame off of CL, until I went to look at one yesterday that was supposed to be in excellent condition, and well, it was just dirty and the treads were fairly well worn off the wheels. I politely declined. Is this the type of thing that I will have to buy new??

I will figure out the Snugride car seat in a bit, but it does seem like there's a variety of snugrides. So many choices . . . I will def buy this new, and 2 bases.

For the future, I think I will get something like this BOB - http://www.bobgear.com/strollers/stroller_accessories.php?product_id=7, since we do not have sidewalks, and I will likely walk the baby on gravel trails as I don't think it will be very safe to walk the kid on our country roads. I guess the idea at this point is that there will be a regular sized car seat in the car and you move the kid in and out of the seat and in and out of the stroller. Oh, and I can't imagine how that BOB folds up? Will it be easy?

Finally, do I need yet another stroller for bringing the kid other places, like the mall?

Does it sound like I'm on the right track? I got the BOB idea from Baby Bargains as they seemed to suggest it would be appropriate for my neighborhood situation.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We got the SnugRide 35 with the extra base and the Uppa Baby Vista. We were going to get a SNG as well, but I think we're going to hold off for now.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HH - I've thought quite a bit about the UppaBaby. I am a reasonable driving distance from their outlet and would love to follow in your footsteps in that regard. I love a bargain, even an expensive bargain! I think I need something else for the gravel paths, though.

I think they sell infant seat adapters for the UppaBaby Vista. (I'm sure you already know about it.) Not sure how well those work, but it might beat having another stroller around. I'm really trying to figure out if there's a way to get around getting the snap and go, but in my situation, I don't think there is . . . .

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look at the bumbleride. Mara got it and she loves it.

I love the BOB but would not recommend it at all for a solo stroller. It's cumbersome, even though it folds easily. And you don't want to take a kid in and out of the carseat to put him into the stroller.

And the BOB in restaurants is not fun.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I hope this is open to dads too...
We just got the Phil and Ted's sport model- LOVE it!!
It's a bit more money, but we're very happy with it.

I know they have a car seat adapter......

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond said:
I hope this is open to dads too...
We just got the Phil and Ted's sport model- LOVE it!!
It's a bit more money, but we're very happy with it.

I know they have a car seat adapter......

RD can you add the extra jump seat for the second child to that model? When we have our second in a couple years, we plan to get the P&T because it is so small compared to most double strollers, but I wondered if it is a special model or if you can add the jump seat to all of them?

As for me... you do need at least 2 strollers in my humble opinion! We got one small lightweight stroller that we leave in the trunk of the car -- in our case the Baby Jogger CityMini becuase we got a really good deal on it -- and then you need something for longer walks, running etc. Like everyone else we have the BOB for running and longer walks. It folds easily and fits in the truck of our Corolla so itis compact enough. But it is NOT an in-and-out of the car stroller unless you drive a very very large SUV/Van. You need something lightweight. We opted to get the car seat attachment for our lightweight stroller, and it had its benefits -- the major one being that the wheels on the snap and goes are really crap and if you go on walks and stuff it is not so fun to push. And the car seat adaptor for our CityMini cost about the same as the snap and Go. BUT if you opt for a Maclaren or similar as your lightweight, I don't think they have car seat adaptors so you would need the snap and go.

We bought our lightweight stroller from birth and got the BOB when Hunter was about 8 months old, when we had a better feel for our lifestyle with baby.

I suggest just getting the snap and go for now, then when baby is 3mo and ready to trasition out of the car seat, get your lightweight stroller and/or the BOB. You really cannot use those strollers early on anyways and you may find your lifestyle is different than you thought it might be.

Originally we wanted one stroller to do it all but realized soon after that it is not possible to find a single stroller that weighs less than 10 lbs and fold with one hand AND you can go jogging with it. So we have two strollers and could not be happier. We get a tonne of use out of both.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
LV, I forgot you're in the MA area! Perhaps if you make the trip a GTG is in order??? Admittedly I haven't tested it out on gravel, but I did hijack a woman in baby gap the other day to ask her about hers. She's taken hers "off-roading" on trails and to the beach and has had no problems with it. And yes, they sell an adapter for infant seats, it's about $30-$40 extra, but allows you to use it as a SNG, which is our plan initially.

If you go to the outlet, make sure you call customer service first and let them know you're coming. It's not really a "store," it's an alcove off of their call center. They can tell you what's available and how the prices are running so you can plan your trip.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer D -- we're looking at the City Mini as well. I really REALLY don't want to get 2 strollers. My DH and I are not joggers, but would like to go to say, the zoo. Will the City Mini work for that as well?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer- YES- that's why we originally got it- because DW does not like side by side double strollers- and this one has them one under the other.
I totally agree on the two stroller idea.
We first had the graco that came with a car seat- loved it- in fact we beat the living crap out of it be traveling all over the world with it.
When a piece broke DW wanted no part of me fixing it- so it went into the trash.
But we also bought a lightweight model to use when necessary- I believe it was about $50

We got the Phil and Ted's about a month ago- and have really fallen in love with it. But it is heavy- making the second, lighter one useful.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
BOB is an easy fold. I take it to the mall or larger trips. Love my volo for smaller errands or out of state trips but it is not a walking stroller. The volo folds with one hand. Excellent for airport security.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a serious issue figuring out my stroller...so much info and so many options.

We got the Bumbleride, which also has real air tires, and I love it. LOVE it. It's our only stroller. Since we got it another girlfriend locally has gotten it too and loves it. You can get 2009 closeout ones for about $125-150 off or more than 2010.

The only thing I don't like about it is the canopy, we end up taking J for walks around early dusk so the sun is always in his face and I walk daily with him about 1-3 miles...BUT I just ordered the 2010 canopy from Bumbleride for $35 and it is supposed to offer 9 inches extra coverage, it looks WAY better. If you don't walk a lot at dusk then it might not matter at all, for midday stuff he is covered.

It's a super easy fold, it fits in the trunk of our small Audi A3 hatchback and I can still fit groceries/shopping bags around it. It comes with rain cover, drink holder, and car seat adapter. A lot of other strollers you have to buy all that separately and then the $$ really adds up.

We plan to get an umbrella at some point in the future BUT I am not worried about it as we are totally happy so far with our choice. And it looks cute which I am not ashamed to say I wanted...the BOB was the other option for us but you have to buy all the accessories separately and I didn't like the way it looked as much as the Bumble.

We used the SNG to start and I didn't like it--but we wanted a real tire stroller because our neighborhood has bumpy sidewalks and J looked like he was getting whiplash from going out in the SNG so I ended up NOT even walking which sucked because I loved to walk.

The other stroller we seriously considered was City Mini but it was not real tires and also all accessories including adapter came separately which would have jacked price up like $50+.

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
We also did a lot of research and like Mara, ended up with the Bumbleride Indie as our only stroller so far. We really considered getting the snap n go as well, but so far have done fine with just putting the car seat directly into the Bumbleride. My only complaint about it is that it's moderately heavy for getting in and out of the car at the grocery store, doctor's office, etc. But it folds easily and doesn't take up *too* much room in our trunk, so for now, it's fine. As she gets bigger, we may get an umbrella stroller to keep in the back of the car instead, but for now, the Indie is doing everything we need, looks cute, and feels great on our long walks over uneven sidewalks, etc. I would choose it again and recommend it to a lot of my friends who are considering BOB, but don't really need the running option. HTH.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, thank you everyone! Yes, it is overwhelming. What's interesting is that everyone seems to love their strollers, so I guess that means there are a lot of high quality functional strollers out there! It's probably quite hard to pick one that isn't great.

Let's see. Mara, You must have the Indie? I see it says a "Multi-use bumper/infant seat adapter bar" is included. Does this mean I can put an infant seat in and out and it stays secure? Doesn't look like they sell an adapter, but it also doesn't sound like the infant seat snaps in. What do you think about gravel trails (mostly flat) for the Indie?

I see they have only 2 dealers in CT, so I best get out and start looking at these in person. I can look at all of these on-line, and well, each one looks as good as the last one, and they are all so CUTE too. Gah, it's maddening!

HH, Thanks for the tips on the outlet. I will definitely call in advance if I decide to go. I'm probably 2.5 hours away from there, so I'd have to take the day off, or perhaps plan around a business trip in the area, but it's doable. A get-together will be fun if I do go!!

Tacori, I think my friend has a Maclaren that she may be giving me, but I have no idea what style or its condition. I'll find out soon when I talk with her.

David, So glad you're here. I love hearing your perspective. Glad you love your stroller. I've never heard of Phil and Ted before. When I googled it, and this happens with every stroller I look at, I see more suggestions for similar styles/different brands, so I click on those, and it really seems like it can go on forever! I am going to have to involve my DH as he is the more reasonable one when it comes to purchases like these. The only problem is he'll say, don't worry about it, we have 6 more months! And, I'll say, yeah, we have only 6 more months, we have to start buying things now!! Haha.

TGal, Thanks! Yeah, with the Bob, I'd definitely have to get something more compact for shopping, etc. I keep talking about these gravel paths, but in reality, like Dreamer suggested, maybe I'll never even go on the trails, and certainly not in the very beginning when there will be more snow than gravel.

Dreamer, CityMini is sooooooo cute! So, 3 months, huh? They are out of the infant seat that soon?? I was thinking more like 8 mos. Hmmmm. So, yeah, we are not going to be spending too much time outdoors in the first few months due to winter weather. Hmm, hmm, hmm.

ETA: Lovinsparkles, Thank you! So the Indie doesn't need an adapter? That's definitely a plus. I'd prefer not to buy an adapter that costs almost as much as a new S&G, you know?

I think I am going to check out the Indie first and talk it over after seeing it firsthand. It will be a huge item to check off after figuring this out. Thank you all for your guidance!!! You're the best!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
We also have the indie (but we have a double) and love it. Great stroller. A few girlfriends have both the single and double versions and everyone really likes them-no problems that I know of. :))

For a large jogging double stroller it folds *really* small IMO. That is why we got it over the BOB but it might only apply to the double versions.

And yes it does come with the infant adapter. You don't need to buy one.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad to be here LV!!

I have seen many McLarens out on the street- although we did hear a rumor- that bears repeating.
Be VERY careful when closing these strollers ( this really goes for any of them)- but we've heard a few serious injuries have some from McLaren

LV- I can totally understand your DH.
Some of the baby stuff that DW absolutely flips over is well.... a little lost on me.
But strollers are fairly cool boy toys.
Have you taken him out shopping for them yet?

Phil and Ted's are much harder to find- as the "majors" ( Babies R us) don't carry them.....

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rock, I believe they fixed that problem. They sent a recall out.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Another Bumbleride Indie lover here! We still use the adapter with car seat. Mine actually clicks in and is very secure. We take it on run/walks, mall trips, etc and think it's great. I got the 2009 version for a major discount.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FLSteph and Neatfreak, Wow, two more votes for the Indie. Thanks for clarifying about the adapter!

FLSteph, Where did you get your 2009 deal? On-line? What kind of infant seat do you have?

David, No, we haven't been out looking at strollers yet. Maybe I will drag him out this weekend and see it that sparks any interest! :bigsmile:

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I got a deal on the 2009 stroller online at mystrollers.com. They had the color (ruby) I was looking for and did a pricematch for another site for $379 with free shipping. We have the Graco snugride. For ours, if I just press down a little, it snaps in place. Hope this helps!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tacori E-ring said:
Rock, I believe they fixed that problem. They sent a recall out.

Thanks Tac!!

Still a sound idea to make sure the baby is a nice distance away before folding.....

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steph,

That's very helpful. I just heard back from my friend with the strollers. She said she has a Peg Perego that has a converter to accept other infant carriers, so maybe I use that to start, and then wait til 2011 to order an Indie (or similiar) and perhaps get a deal on a 2010 model by that point. I don't think I'll need the Indie right away as we won't be doing much outside walking in the beginning. I'll just have to confirm it accepts a Snugride, is in good condition and is easy to open and close.

Oh, and she has a Maclaren umbrella stroller. She keeps everything, so I'm sure she'll have the owner manual. I'll check for a recall, but she is would have discovered one if there was one long before me.

Wow, I feel like I've made so much progress today!! Yay for making stroller decisions easier!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto Steph re: the Snugride, that is what we have for the stroller, I don't even snap it into the bar, I just set the carseat into the stroller bed as it reclines flat so it holds it and the bar keeps it inside.

I also trail walk which includes slightly rocky all dirt paths and some gravel park paths as well, usually 1-3miles a day. I did switch out all the inner tubes for heavy duty thorn resistant which was like $10 each, after one day I had to walk home a mile with a flat tire, but other than that it's been great.

You might be able to ping Bumble and ask them what they have in store for 2011, the diff for 2010 was minimal, it was the sunshade (9" larger) and 2 other things I didn't care about. Also if I wasn't such a crazy walker the sunshade on it would prob be fine, I just toss an A&A blanket over him now and sometimes he is ok and sometimes he's not...he LOVES to be able to see.

Oh and he is 6mo and I still use him in the carseat in the stroller w/the adapter for errands.. I only PUT him in the stroller for a walk as otherwise it is too much of a PITA to take him out of carseat into stroller etc if it's just a 5 min trip into the grocery store.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has me nervous...am I going to regret that I just picked out a stroller at BRU? I would rather buy one $400 stroller than a few $150 strollers until I find the one I like! I guess I'll find out!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
pupp that is totally why I waited. there were TOO many options and everyone had a diff suggestion. plus i was shocked to hear people had like 3 strollers! We have a tiny house and small trunk so we had limited options.

once we had the baby i figured out what i really wanted and what was important to me. if you don't like your stroller you can always return it! but we didn't even use one in the first few weeks, so even if people narrow it down to 2-3 top picks before birth, you can still buy one within the first month, and have it shipped or someone else pick it up for you.

LV...we also only had like 2 bumble dealers within 50 miles, so weird since we live in a big area... one of them didn't even have ONE in stock to look at, the other did...so we ended up buying locally as they had a similarly good deal on 2009's and i could take it home with me then. online it was about $40 cheaper which would have been good BUT the local place was so nice and spent 30+ min with us so i wanted to reward with our biz.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lanie said:
Dreamer D -- we're looking at the City Mini as well. I really REALLY don't want to get 2 strollers. My DH and I are not joggers, but would like to go to say, the zoo. Will the City Mini work for that as well?

If you are not planning on going on trails or running, then I think the CityMini is totally fine! We love ours. Another PSer has it too and had only good things to say. Steers like a dream. The suspension is not the same as the strollers with pneumatic wheels though, so if you go on cobblestones or brich paths, or any bumpy terrain, in the long term it may be uncomfortable for your LO. But for any type of indoors or any type of paved roads it is perfect IMHO. I have not seen another stroller with such a good canopy (very important to me) and I have not seen one with such a small footprint that turns with such a small radius. I recomment the black BTW. We got green and while I like it, we say someone withe the black and it looks so sharp! Doesn;t shot any stains and looks very chic.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
re switching from car seat to stroller Around 3 months Hunter was not comfortable in his car seat anymore and he needed the large canopy on his stroller to sleep. He slept a lot less and so it was simple to pull him out of the car seat and put him in the stroller. I was a SAHM for 10 months and spent every afternoon out of the house for my sanity ;)) and so he took at least one nap per day in the stroller. With the CityMini when we put the canopy down and reclines, he would sleep for an hour or more no problem. He would not do that in his car seat, as there was no way to cover it (a blanket did not work once he could move and grab it). So I switched him to the stroller pretty young for those reasons. Plus it was more comfortable for him. For quick errends I still just took the car seat on the adaptor in. For all these reasons I think a stroller with a car seat adaptor is more functional than a snap and go. Depends on your lifestyle as usual though!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LV! DH and I are overwhelmed with strollers. I think we've narrowed it down to a few options: either 1) the Baby Jogger City Mini with infant carseat adapter or Snap 'N Go, or 2) the Chicco Cortina travel system with the Key Fit infant seat.

The Snap 'N Go seems like a waste of money to me though, because it's only good until the baby outgrows the infant seat. But it is convenient.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
LV - We're thinking the same thing as you are about the Bumbleride. Since we don't plan to use it for at least the first month or so we're hoping to wait and maybe by February the 2010 will be on sale. That's the hope anyway! I love everything about the Bumbleride, especially that it comes with the car seat adapter (so you don't end up spending another $50 on that!) Our other choice is the City Mini, but you have to buy the adapter and I just don't seem to like it as much. I guess time will tell if it wins out on price alone!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Mara said:
LV...we also only had like 2 bumble dealers within 50 miles, so weird since we live in a big area... one of them didn't even have ONE in stock to look at, the other did...so we ended up buying locally as they had a similarly good deal on 2009's and i could take it home with me then. online it was about $40 cheaper which would have been good BUT the local place was so nice and spent 30+ min with us so i wanted to reward with our biz.

from the glowing reviews here, I am seriously considering the bumbleride indie as well, but GEEZ how difficult this thing is to locate in a major metropolitan area. Better be worth it :cheeky:

We like to do some trail hiking (though obviously would have to tone it down with a stroller) so I am glad to hear that it seems to be suitable for that sort of thing. Are the wheels easy to replace, Mara?

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Just another opinion... We have the BOB Revolution as our only stroller. We love it. We use it for long walks, going off-road, running, or the very occasional trip to the mall or zoo. It folds up pretty easily, but it is bulky and heavy folded up. If we're just popping in and out of stores, grocery shopping, etc, we either put George in an Ergo/mei tai, put him in the seat of a shopping cart, or (more recently) let him walk by himself. This works for us, with our lifestyle, but everyone is different of course! I would absolutely not take the BOB on public transportation for example, or in and out of the car frequently.

Puppmom - I do regret the stroller that I just picked out at BRU (Maclaren Techno XLR), but it's not because it was a bad stroller; we didn't thoroughly think through when we were going to be using a stroller. We found using a baby carrier to be much easier for shorter trips than dealing with even a light stroller and only really wanted a stroller for long trips out of the house and runs, and so the particular stroller just didn't make sense for us. We ended up selling it.

If you do go with a used Maclaren, it is probably subject to the recall but you can contact Maclaren for the free recall repair kit. There are just two pieces that fit over the hinges so that your baby can't stick their fingers in and hurt them when you're collapsing it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results