shape
carat
color
clarity

another qustions from newbie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fongrx7

Rough_Rock
I got a lot of helps from forum members at last thread. thanks. however, I got another question in mind when browsing some sites that people suggested.

I was looking at dirtcheapdiamonds.com?? and they have some special diamonds called "signature series round cut". and then some "very best cut" diamonds seem to be the next level.

my first question is:
1)why the other sites don''t have category? even reports from GIA don''t indicate that is "ideal cut" or "very best cut". why dirtcheapdiamond does that?
2)next question is how we know that is ideal cut or "very best cut"? when they are all round, brilliant?

3)on some sites, for some diamonds, they have color copies of lab report(GIA??) for buyers to view them, but for some diamonds, they only put black&white copies? why is it? does it mean the site only have the diamonds for the color copies in stock. for the rest of the diamonds that only have black&white copies or just with no report, just "GIA" or "AGS", they just don''t have them in stock?

thanks
rodent.gif

knowverylittle

Rough_Rock
Reply from a 'one time diamond consumer':

Cut seems to be very subjective. There appear to be ideal numbers to aim for but how each site rates cut is up to that site. I suggest researching old posts on this forum. Better still spend a day and read Good old Gold's web site starting here:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/4csmain.htm

If you are in a hurry I seem to remember this single page on NiceIce.com helped me a lot regarding cut:
http://niceice.com/cut.htm

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are rather new questions around here; Here's my take at them:

1) Some diamond sellers develop their own brands of diamonds, set apart by certain qualities the seller guarantee. There are dozen of such store brands like the "Signature" based on some threshold of cut quality, and even among the usual Pricescope sellers there are others too. The H&A mark is one, for example. "A Cut Above" is another...

2) Colored and not colored certs... It is customary to have a lab report faxed from the wholesaler to the retailer or whatever. I suspect those Black& white ones are taken from such faxed copies, or they are just saving space on their website using B&A bitmaps, what do I know? There are just so many benefits from having the seller access a large list of diamonds (aside his stock) for you, and the there are good things to say about the stones readily available in store. A diamond is a diamond...

3) Ehat is an "IDEAL CUT" At last an easy one: ideal diamonds do not exist. there is no such thing.
9.gif
Why? because there is no authority in the world today capable to demonstrate why a certain type of diamonds are "idelas" and enforece it's claim. On pricescope, we believe that a diamonds with precise symmetry, finish and proportions that allow the stone to appear brilliant and fiery (sparkly, or whatever word there is for it) are teh most desirable. Some are, of course, better than most, and people insist to call them "ideal" - it is just a word. You would need to read a bit of that tutorial on diamond cut to know the details. Also, another two sites ahve very good explanations of this: goodoldgold and preciousmetals (australian).

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results