shape
carat
color
clarity

another newbie asking for advice (OMC)

flash_and_fire

Rough_Rock
Hello PS'ers,
Long time lurker here finally ready to take the plunge in buying the diamond of my dreams! The longtime lurking has done me good in helping me finally decide that it's an OMC that I want. I've reached out to a PS respected vendor and am ready to look at some diamonds. My questions are: do I buy OMC's with my eyes or do I need to evaluate certain specifics? :confused:

Once I have the diamonds, I was planning on looking at it under different lighting. Is there anything else I should do to help me narrow my choice? Basically, any advice for a 1st time online buyer (my ering came from a BM store) and an interested OMC buyer?

Any advice from the PS community is very much appreciated!! :wavey: Thank you in advance!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome ::)

Basically both.

Now you'll obviously want to judge color and clarity off specs but then determine your tolerance. My mother is nearing 60, her tolerance for clarity is different from mine. This is something you'll want to figure out.

As for the diamonds you're after yes there are general guidelines, high crown, small table, symmetrical pattern are things people look for, but you have to determine if the individual stone is right for you. You're buying old diamonds that will all have their own personality

flash_and_fire

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Niel, I have a high tolerance for the lower colors. Guess I should be clearer about what I want. I don't mind a warmer color but would like higher clarity for the more sparkle and fire. I am definitely looking forward to the search and looking at the uniqueness of each OMC/antique cushion and finding 'THE ONE', a little like dating I suppose. :lol: Just feeling a little nervous because I can't shop by numbers and don't know enough to know what I'm looking at other than a diamond that will flash fire and brilliance and speak to me. 8)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flash_and_fire|1463881480|4034617 said:
Thanks, Niel, I have a high tolerance for the lower colors. Guess I should be clearer about what I want. I don't mind a warmer color but would like higher clarity for the more sparkle and fire. I am definitely looking forward to the search and looking at the uniqueness of each OMC/antique cushion and finding 'THE ONE', a little like dating I suppose. :lol: Just feeling a little nervous because I can't shop by numbers and don't know enough to know what I'm looking at other than a diamond that will flash fire and brilliance and speak to me. 8)

Lower clarity won't necessarily reduce sparkle. For example , one crystal on a vs2 vs a vv1 won't necessarily have any negligible effect on performance.

And yeah you can't exactly shop by numbers , so f that makes you nervous, you'll have to do something about this

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might call Old World Diamonds and let them know what you are looking for. They seem like they have a bigger selection of OMC than other places.

Www.oldworlddiamonds.com

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Provided the stone is eyeclean which is what you want, clarity has very little to no impact on sparkle and fire unless we are talking about heavily included stones that face up like frozen spit. Cut has impact on fire and colour has impact on brightness or the amount of white light returned back to the human eye.

OMCs should be judged by your eyes or in this case put the stones on hold (make sure you do this to prevent lurkers getting them) and post pics and videos on here, everyone will give you opinions.

flash_and_fire

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback! I will do that and post pics/videos when I get the stone, appreciate all the help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results