shape
carat
color
clarity

Another learning question on this spinel

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
I'm not considering purchasing this but I have seen several of these "type" of stones.
I like the color of some of them, but they seem so empty, if that makes sense.

Is that just the way these are? Having never seen one in person, I'm wondering if it's just the cut
that makes it look this way and if so, why someone would cut it to look so flat? (If they are genuine spinel)

Just curious about it.

bluish spinel

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't own a spinel in this cut so I can't say if it's better in real life I'm afraid. You're right though, it does look very flat, almost like a bit of glass. :confused:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The cut doesn't help the stone at all. It's quite pretty round the edges.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A great example of a window the size you could drive a truck through! All windowed gems will have a similar appearance i.e. empty and it's not limited to spinels I'm afraid.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should also try to find spinels with some sort of visible inclusions, like bubbles. There's quite a bit of synthetic spinel and it can come in that color too. Be careful.

I have one that color, but a about two shades darker in tone, and it's quite lovely. It has a bubble inclusion, so I'm happy with it. It has wonderful dispersion and can give off pink flashes of color.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Besides the window (or should I say door!), it isn't very saturated. Cornflower blue it ain't, unless my monitor needs some serious adjustment.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, it's so light in tone, it's not saturated, but I don't think it's as overly grey as some spinels I've seen. I actually like very light toned spinels like that, but I think some better cutting would help the color if the window were to close up. A heavy basket, or gallery could help it out.

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1309295334|2957296 said:
A great example of a window the size you could drive a truck through! All windowed gems will have a similar appearance i.e. empty and it's not limited to spinels I'm afraid.

So THAT's what that is! Funny, I can spot the smaller ones but the ones that take up the whole door just escaped me. I'm glad I asked! I've seen some really interesting colors that look like this but just stayed perplexed.

TL "bubbles" I getcha. Good advice and maybe I'll take a chance on one that I just have to have and see how it looks.

Thanks everyone :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Peter Torraca (www.torraca.net) has a nice asscher blue spinel that looks like it has some purple to it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results