shape
carat
color
clarity

Another ethics question.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More good points brought up. Thank you to everyone who has shared their thoughts here - it's been an interesting read. I'm sorry I haven't responded to everyone individually - at first I was too frustrated, then too distracted, and now I'm honestly just too tired.

Haven - you were actually the first person I thought of who might "get" the protective defensiveness of one's jeweller, having followed your journey, seen your sketches, heard about the designing and creation - rational or not. I've certainly cooled since yesterday, but that first surge of "dude, WTF just happened?" is - well, irreconcilable, though apparently transient.

Amy, Twinkle - yeah, no doubt the bracelet trouble certainly doesn't help, but I understand that mistakes (albeit incredibly frustrating ones) do happen. I also understand that people may feel I'm being unfair with my feelings regarding BGD, but at this point I feel what I feel and I'm entitled to those feelings - I didn't pull them out of thin air afterall, given that I had a fantastic experience with BGD earlier in their career. I am VERY careful about keeping vendor fan-ism or personal grievances out of my RT posts, and I think I do a good job there, so I don't feel I have anything to feel guilty over or apologize for. It kinda is what it is at this point, y'know? And... that's okay.

But, I'm quite happy to let this be the end of it - I don't think more discussion is going to lead anywhere productive, and I've quite exhausted the strong feelings anyway! Twinkle - your story is interesting, makes clear how different people really can and do come up with very similar things totally on their own. Yes, a lot of work and thought went into it on both sides.

Thanks MP ::) I'm really glad to see that Rosetta is not taking it personally, that was one of my biggest concerns.

ETA: Twinkle - This is getting tiresome. To repeat yet again: this IS NOT ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE OWNING THE SAME DESIGN. If I truly had a problem with that, why on earth would I have gleefully posted about it becoming a stock design - such that it's easily accessible to anyone who wants it? I'm neither a fool nor a masochist, seeing that the hand and ring in the WF website photos belongs to someone else gives me nothing but pleasure - to know that someone else loved it enough to choose it.

Kindly consider that you don't know me at all, and note that I would very much appreciate you keeping to yourself any unsolicited speculations of alternate motives to the ones I present.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Am I missing an offensive post twinkle made? I'm not twinkle, but I said the same thing about maybe being upset someone else has the same. This just doesn't seem like anything you'd get upset about, which led me and several others to speculate that some other issue was at the root. But you say no, and I believe you. I'm glad you've calmed down and are getting over it.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like Yssie stated, she is honored to have people want her design. She excitedly shred the news with us when they asked her to make it a stock setting. I guess her ethics question can really be asked if all replicas.... At what point is a "copy" not fair ?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Amy. That's it exactly.

Thing - apparently the half life of this particular debate, for me, is about a day!

Twinkle - I apologize. That portion of your post was uncalled for, but my reaction rather was as well. I spent a good hour before posting trying to figure out what the root of my concern was, and when I felt I'd nailed it I posted just that - nothing more, nothing less.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1314101747|2997264 said:
Like Yssie stated, she is honored to have people want her design. She excitedly shred the news with us when they asked her to make it a stock setting. I guess her ethics question can really be asked if all replicas.... At what point is a "copy" not fair ?

Sorry about typos, on my iPhone

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie--Yes, I totally get it. I would definitely be defensive if I were in your situation. Warranted or not, I think your reaction was totally normal. Heck, I flipped my lid when someone on RT said that my ring wasn't hand forged, so I'm definitely protective.

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better about this whole thing.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1314117731|2997463 said:
Yssie--Yes, I totally get it. I would definitely be defensive if I were in your situation. Warranted or not, I think your reaction was totally normal. Heck, I flipped my lid when someone on RT said that my ring wasn't hand forged, so I'm definitely protective.

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better about this whole thing.

Threadjack- I missed that thread and am now going to go back and read all about it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Whaa? Why would someone say that?!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1314118845|2997482 said:

I was trying to find that thread the other day, Haven if you recall it can you post it? Unless you would rather forget :Up_to_something: It was an award winning lid flip!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1314118997|2997484 said:

I was trying to find that thread the other day, Haven if you recall it can you post it? Unless you would rather forget :Up_to_something: It was an award winning lid flip!

Oooh yes please-I want to read Haven's lid flip too! :cheeky:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1314119107|2997486 said:
Dreamer_D|1314118997|2997484 said:

Oooh yes please-I want to read Haven's lid flip too! :cheeky:

Me too! I've been searching for it but I can't find it!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, fine. Here it is:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-explain-in-laymans-terms.158739/

It isn't pretty. You've been warned. :Up_to_something:
I should thank Gypsy again for her contribution to that thread. She articulated what I couldn't in my very agitated state.

I'm calmer now, no worries. :bigsmile:\

ETA: It looks like the poster on whom I flipped my lid finally added a company name to his profile. However, I can only find a Facebook page with that company's name. Still not a satisfying declaration of identity for a trade member, IMO.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha Haven, that is a fantastic lid flip-thanks for linking!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven- I think you were classy- def felt your aggervation but you also explained importance of weighing your words before posting.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Thing and Amy.

That might be the most heated I've ever been on PS. I tried to write things that I wouldn't later regret, but it was difficult and I still cringe when I reread that thread.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I am of the school of thought that there are truly no unique jewelry designs left in the universe. I didn't used to be this way... It all started when I started browsing antiques on 1st dibs and Lang Antiques. Any time I think a piece is oh so unique from a particular designer, surprise I see something shockingly similar on an estate site later.

THAT SAID...

If I saw a (current) ring design that I *HAD* to have, then I'd go to that designer. I was dyinggggg for a James Meyer ring. Sadly, this was around the time he stopped accepting outside stones. Despite how much I loved his pieces, I didn't go to to other designers asking for a copy. It wouldn't be the same so why bother? I just told a few designers what I wanted. Bezels, milgrain, etc. and let them run with it. Every designer has their unique point of view. I figure, why stifle it? I am so particular about settings that I don't think I'd be happy with accepting any design as-is anyway. There is always something I'd want to change namely the profile or special touches/flourishes.

I can understand hurt feelings when you spent hours pouring over images, pinpointing what elements make your heart flutter. I just think it is a huge gray area since so many ideas/designs have been recycled for centuries. My perspective: I wouldn't care if someone else got an exact copy of my ring from a different designer. I just wouldn't do it because I'd worry that something would get lost in translation and I wouldn't be happy with the results. If I fell in love 100% with a design, I'd have to have that person do it or pick a different design.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1314098794|2997257 said:
Am I missing an offensive post twinkle made? I'm not twinkle, but I said the same thing about maybe being upset someone else has the same. This just doesn't seem like anything you'd get upset about, which led me and several others to speculate that some other issue was at the root. But you say no, and I believe you. I'm glad you've calmed down and are getting over it.

Agree with the bolded.

And to clarify, I wasn't speaking of another poster having a copy, but that another vendor copied that design. Like I said, because it was done by another vendor that was not personally commissioned by you initially to do the ring.

True, you are entitled to your opinion, but you also started this thread asking others of their thoughts. I posted mine --- like many others did.

Yssie|1314108650|2997333 said:
Thanks Amy. That's it exactly.

Thing - apparently the half life of this particular debate, for me, is about a day!

Twinkle - I apologize. That portion of your post was uncalled for, but my reaction rather was as well. I spent a good hour before posting trying to figure out what the root of my concern was, and when I felt I'd nailed it I posted just that - nothing more, nothing less.

I see your apology & I, too, apologize if you are upset.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Every single time someone here asks for a ring, says it is gorgeous, then goes to any other vendor other than the original one (e.g. tacori inspired, leon inspired etc etc) You say inspired, I say copied. This scenario repeats itself.

No biggie. It is actually impossible to prevent.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results