shape
carat
color
clarity

Another ebay rollercoaster -- french cuts

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look lovely Gemfever. It would be hard to let any of them go. I really like the parcel of 7 that you have together. I wish I could help you with your decision but I think it's a call that you will ultimately have to make by what you are seeing. Good luck!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks bright ice! I can't want to see your frenchie band when it's finished!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1366221647|3429046 said:
Junebug -- Wow, your avatar pic is looking mighty bright and beautiful! :love:

Oops :oops: Just saw this - thanks so much GemFever! Yeah, I thought the old girl turned out particularly purdy in this pic :cheeky:

Wow, these stones are beautiful! They look so cool all lined up. I'm not much help, but I think the parcel of 7 stones looks really nice. Maybe the jeweler making the ring can offer some advice?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks junebug! I'm sure I'll make up my mind by the time I have to ship them to NYC next week. It's just sometimes I think -- smaller is cuter, and small tables are sexy! But then I think -- bigger is better and bigger tables show more of those signature triangular facets! Then I line them up. Then I move them around. Then I accidentally mix them up and... it starts over :lol:

Couple more pics :rodent:

img_8887.jpg

img_9058.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1367723652|3440553 said:
Thanks junebug! I'm sure I'll make up my mind by the time I have to ship them to NYC next week. It's just sometimes I think -- smaller is cuter, and small tables are sexy! But then I think -- bigger is better and bigger tables show more of those signature triangular facets! Then I line them up. Then I move them around. Then I accidentally mix them up and... it starts over :lol:

:lol: Too funny! And I see what you're saying, this is more involved than I thought...I guess I my initial thought was to just choose the biggest ones that were also closest in size! :cheeky: You've got plenty of time to play with them and figure it out - it's going to be beautiful!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thanks junebug! ::)

Decided to go through the pics I took initially and organize them after all. Stone profiles. I like how they're all different, it's like each one has its own personality. This isn't very obvious without magnification, but magnified diamonds are fun! :D

4-1.jpg

_6059.jpg

4-3.jpg

4-4.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
What a fabulous find! Those diamonds are gorgeous. I can't wait to see what you do with them, so exciting :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great pics!

To me the table size and those nuances don't matter, the fact that they are hand cut is more meaningful to me than perfect calibration. My focus would be on having the stones be the same L-W.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks woofmama! I should have my ring completed by the second week of June. :bigsmile:

Dreamer, I think you're right in that it's best to sort by proportions. My current plan (hatched 3 minutes ago :rodent: ) is to pick out the biggest for my own ring, and get the rest polished and slightly adjusted so they are all nice 3x3mm squares.

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my!

I'm now obsessed with French cuts. They're so pretty gem!!! I want a French cut band now too!!! ;-)

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
gorgeous! did any of them have fluoresence???

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Fabulous. What are you planning on doing with the remainder. Consignment?

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Those are so cute! I can't wait to see them set. What a great find! :lickout:

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
OMG I love them, and this thread makes me love frenchies even more!

GAH, look what you started! 8-) :naughty:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lin_ny -- Thanks! They are quite lovely ::) But Frenchies are a frustrating obsession. I don't know why they're so hard to find for a decent price :(sad I'd say these cost a pretty penny, it certainly didn't feel like one of those ebay "steals."

hippi_pixi - thank you! Nope, surprisingly not a single one had fluorescence. I haven't been having much luck finding fluorescent stones. Maybe all my fluoro luck is building up to come out in one perfect antique cushion with medium-strong fluoro... it's waiting for me, somewhere!

misskittycat - I'm not sure what the plan is for the rest of the stones. Getting some of my money back would be nice, but... when will I come across frenchies again? I'll think for a while whether I can use a parcel of 3mm stones in some other project. If I feel like I can't find a great project for them, I might list them through Pre-Loved or go the consignment route.

valmanin -- thank you, I can't wait to see them set myself :bigsmile: I'm so excited to work with the jeweler I chose that almost half of the fun is in seeing what he comes up with for the setting.

two_little_birds -- that's how I feel after seeing every other frenchie thread on PS :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, those are awesome pics! Those stones look so pretty *sigh*. And I agree with picking out the largest and best matched in terms of dimensions, that was my first thought!

GoldFish8

Shiny_Rock
oooOOoohhh "Mr. Biggest and Handsomest" is my FAV!!! such a stud! :love:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GoldFish8|1367783861|3440806 said:
oooOOoohhh "Mr. Biggest and Handsomest" is my FAV!!! such a stud! :love:

hahaha, thanks GoldFish! Indeed he is :naughty:

OK, done sorting! I chose the 6 biggest and prettiest for myself :lickout: Mr. Stud is in there, front and center :bigsmile:

I won't be getting my parcel polished. Only one stone has noticeable (under 30x magnification) abrasions on the table, but I'll live with it. But the other 10 stones are going to get polished, and man it's gonna cost me a pretty penny. But hey, it's for a good cause.

I think my next update will be with the ring already, in about 5 weeks. Whoohoo!

Some "glamor shots" below :cheeky: Noticeable color difference between my OEC and the frenchies.

img_0202-2.jpg

img_900.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
your parcel looks fabulous!!!! Can't wait to see the finished ring!!!

Midsommer

Rough_Rock
I love the ones you have selected - really work well together. How exciting!! Looks forward to seeing the end result.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results