shape
carat
color
clarity

Another E-ring thread...help needed (blue sapphire)

joebox

Rough_Rock
So I've decided to propose to my girl friend this coming Easter. We met abroad and quickly fell in love. I know it's cliche to say 'you just know', but I knew from our first date that she would be the woman I marry. I actually went home that night and wrote down everything I could remember so that I could show her one day that I knew from the first night it was her. A few weeks ago, I met with her parents and got their blessing. Now all I need is a ring! I've been browsing this site for a month now and I feel more prepared to make a purchase.

So this gives me 2 months to get the right ring! She wants a blue sapphire and so far I've really liked what I've seen from Jeff White. However, he does not have any princess or cushion cuts in a square shape at the moment. :| I was hoping that members here could help me to locate a square cushion sapphire? How reputable are the following sites?

1. SimplySapphires
2. Gemfix
3. PlanetaryGems
4. Richard Homer
5. Jeff White

Any other sites I can check out to purchase a sapphire?

This is what I'm looking for in the following order:

1. Color. Royal blue with no violets. But I also really like the blue of this stone that belongs to DianaBanana!
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-sapphire-project-with-jeff-white.107505/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-sapphire-project-with-jeff-white.107505/[/URL]
2. Cut. Cushion Square cut. Wish I could get Jeff White. Anyone know if he will recut a stone?
3. Dimensions. My gf has a size 9 ring finger. She doesn't want anything gaudy, but I think she'll need decent coverage.
4. Treatments. Heat treatment is ok.

I decided to go with a cushion square cut in an antique setting. Something along these lines.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Sophie-Solitaire/12794511_dg9wL#792954190_YJGXU

Any suggestions plus things I may have overlooked are welcome. I really need to get going on this if I'm going to have it by April 23rd to propose! :D

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a rough budget in mind?

Congratulations on finding the woman of your dreams! I also 'knew' the day I met my husband - and torment him with the fact that I can remember almost every detail of the weekend we met and he has the memory of a sieve!

Another couple of websites are Art Cut Gems - Rick Martin is great to work with, and Finewater Gems - the owner is away at them moment on a buying trip so it might be worth your sending him an email to see if he can find what you're looking for...

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Pala Gems is another great source you can look at. You can search for stones on their site (www.palagems.com) I just did a search, and many of the stones that I thought may fit your criteria did not have photos attached. They do not sell directly to the public (unless you happen to live in the San Diego area, than you can buy directly through their store). So you will have to work with another vendor to get their prices. I know Wink Jones works with them, he works with Richard Homer as well, so he may be a good place for your to start.

How much finger coverage are you hoping to get? The ring you have linked is a fairly large diamond (I believe it was 4cts). Sapphires tend to face up smaller than diamonds, so keep that in mind. When I am looking at colored stones for myself, I usually look at them in terms of their diameter in mm vs their actual caret weight. For example, my sapphire is a 1.7ct cushion that is fairly shallow (62% deapth) but it measures about 6.6x6.7mm which is about the same spread as my 1.15 ct round diamond.

I second the vendor recs Pandora made. I just recently made a purchase from Rick and he was wonderful to work with. But Gary at Firewater is a wonderful vendor as well.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to recommend that you consider a halo setting for your sapphire. With your budget, you will not get the finger coverage with that solitaire setting. You'd need a 3 or 4 ct. sapphire to look right in that setting on a size 9 finger, in my opinion.

This is my favorite setting (from Singlestone) and I hope someday to either put a cushion sapphire or cushion diamond in it. Unfortunately, great sapphires are harder to find than diamonds!

singlestonering.jpg

joebox

Rough_Rock
Thank you again for your help. Coverage is a concern of mine, but she has stressed repeatedly that she does not want anything gaudy and does not want diamonds. She did say if I couldn't find what she wanted that she would relent to free trade diamonds. But she prefers a blue sapphire.

I have been browsing all of the sites and does anyone have an opinion on planetary gems? Their prices seem too good to untreated "kashmir" sapphires.

And I love that setting and thanks for recommending Palagems. I am in CA and frequent the So Cal area so my next trip I will make a stop at their location. Thanks so much!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
You really are in a time crunch, if you need the ring by the end of April, especially since you only want a square cushion. If you have contacted any or all of the vendors you've listed, I'm sure you have realized that by now!

I agree with DS2006 that a halo might be one way to maximize coverage for a size 9 finger. Sinking more than half your budget into the setting (the JbEG setting you linked to) also restricts your options. Once you find a stone you like, you might contact someone like MichaelE. from Gem Shoppe to help you find a stock setting that you like. This would cost considerably less, and would allow you to put more of your budget into the sapphire.

Keep us posted on how your search is going.

joebox

Rough_Rock
Yes, I do realize how much of a time crunch I am in. I've actually been contacting vendors for 4-5 weeks with little success. Thank you for the suggestion and I may have to go with another setting.

I did find what might be a suitable gem which measures in at 6.5 x 7.3 mm. Would this be a decent coverage for a size 9? Doesn't seem to be an exact square cushion, but I do like the cut and it seems close to a square. I do want to stay away from pauve or diamonds if I can. Diamonds are actually much easier to purchase! But she is worth it!

SAP012.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
joebox|1298472635|2857812 said:
Yes, I do realize how much of a time crunch I am in. I've actually been contacting vendors for 4-5 weeks with little success. Thank you for the suggestion and I may have to go with another setting.

I did find what might be a suitable gem which measures in at 6.5 x 7.3 mm. Would this be a decent coverage for a size 9? Doesn't seem to be an exact square cushion, but I do like the cut and it seems close to a square. I do want to stay away from pauve or diamonds if I can. Diamonds are actually much easier to purchase! But she is worth it!

SAP012.jpg

This is not an available sapphire, it is from Jeff's gallery of sold stones. I can't remember if this stone belongs to a PS'er or not.

To get an idea of coverage, you can do a search online for a chart that shows coverage for difference shape stones. I'll come back with a link if I can find it.
http://www.tripps.com/chart.htm

and
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/pdf/stone mm dimensions.pdf

E B

Ideal_Rock
There's a finger coverage chart here (its searchable, but I'm not sure how to attach it from my iPad) that shows a 7.5mm stone on a size 9 finger is equivalent to a 6.5mm diamond (1 carat) on a size 6 finger, which is the 'average' finger size.

joebox

Rough_Rock
Oh goodness, I see now on the link that the gallery is for sold sapphires. That one probably would have fit the mold.

Anyone have any feelings on planetarygems.com? Their prices seem very good, but I wonder if the quality is for genuine unheated sapphires as I thought they would be much more expensive.

Also does Jeff White recut stones? I may purchase one off another vendor and ask him to work his magic.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Have you run a search on this forum for Planetary Gems? If not, I suggest you do so. You might find it very informative.

Especially with corundum, you get what you pay for, and if your interest is unheated, only a lab report from a reputable lab is acceptable. In the US, labs that can verify that a sapphire is likely to be untreated are AGL and GIA. A report from AGL is preferred because of the additional information available.

Jeff White may recut stones, but I doubt he could do so within your time frame. You might want to contact him to find out.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
E B|1298473830|2857830 said:
There's a finger coverage chart here (its searchable, but I'm not sure how to attach it from my iPad) that shows a 7.5mm stone on a size 9 finger is equivalent to a 6.5mm diamond (1 carat) on a size 6 finger, which is the 'average' finger size.

Here is a 6.5mm cushion sapphire in a solitaire on my size 6 finger. I think to get 7.5mm you would have to go well into the 2.5ct range which is pricy.

IMG_0448_1.jpg

What about having the sapphire that is set in a "halo" that has engraving instead of diamonds? That would add finger coverage, give the ring an antique look, and allow you to not have diamonds. This is just an idea of what i am talking about, I could not think of an antique ring off the top of my head to show. If it was a darker stone, I would do prongs instead of a bezel. This would allow you to get a nicely colored stone in the 6.5-7mm range which is probably more realistic for your budget.

HOWgoldhalo.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Have you checked out NY estate jewelers? They have several cushion cut sapphire rings

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I just thought of something. You mentioned that you don't like diamond pave, and everyone keeps mentioning how a halo would add more finger coverage. So, how about a french cut sapphire halo kind of like this one (but with a sapphire center stone instead of a diamond):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ART-DECO-1ct-CU...5?pt=Vintage_Fine_Jewelry&hash=item25591889e9

I think Fay Cullen might be able to make a similar setting, but I'm not sure the turn around time would work within your time frame... Here's a link to some of their Art Deco settings:
http://www.faycullen.com/Art-Deco-Ring-Settings/

SB621

Ideal_Rock
oops I almost forgot my favorite one!

Edwardian Style 2.08ct Ceylon Sapphire & Diamond Platinum Ring

Price: $4,200.00
#: 1777ABSS

DSCN6806E.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can nudge up your gem budget a little, Gemfix has a gorgeous certified untreated blue sapphire cushion (top row, far left) - and if you are in the SoCal area, Gemfix is in downtown San Diego, near the Gaslamp Quarter area - here's the link:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html.

I wear a size 9 ring on my middle finger - all my RHRs are size 9 (and the majority are solitaire settings with just a center gemstone) - that Gemfix sapphire above is a 2.40ct, 9x7mm rectangular cushion which would give very nice coverage, especially if you go with the simple and refined Sophie setting which really allows the gemstone to be the star.

Gemfix also has some other sapphire cushions which show treatment as heated - but these are not listed as certified, and I'm not sure you would have time to have them checked out before your timeline. I've bought several stones from Gemfix and have been very happy, so if you're going down to Pala maybe you want to make a day of it and hit Gemfix too.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Aoife|1298557305|2858427 said:
Spectral Gems has one listed on the home page, as well as several others in the for sale gallery:
http://www.spectralgems.net/

Here I am cursing that all the great gem cutters live on the east and west coasts and here is one that lives in my backyard?! Roger Dery is about 15 minutes from me...

E B

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1298550948|2858400 said:
If you can nudge up your gem budget a little, Gemfix has a gorgeous certified untreated blue sapphire cushion (top row, far left) - and if you are in the SoCal area, Gemfix is in downtown San Diego, near the Gaslamp Quarter area - here's the link:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html.

That one's a great size, and if you decide on it, you can get a classic solitaire and have it hand engraved. Anything pre-engraved is going to be harder to find without diamond melee.

joebox

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input! I am going to San Diego in a week and will definitely be stopping by. I did notice that particular gem on the site and it is more than my allotted budget, but if I see it in person and it's too good to pass up then I'll have to tighten my belt and purchase it. Still hoping against hope that Jeff White finds me something as I love his cuts.

Will keep you updated and will take pics of the stones in person though the quality will be limited to my iPhone.

Thanks again everyone!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are planning a San Diego road-trip to check out gems, just so you make the most of your time I'd contact the vendors you are going to visit beforehand, just to give them a head's up that you're coming down and that you're specifically looking for a blue sapphire (and the additional stone specs you've deemed important) - this way they can pull out the stones that fit into your criteria to have at the ready for your visit - I think both Pala and Gemfix of course display stones but also have large inventories "in the back". Good luck with your search!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1298738005|2859936 said:
If you are planning a San Diego road-trip to check out gems, just so you make the most of your time I'd contact the vendors you are going to visit beforehand, just to give them a head's up that you're coming down and that you're specifically looking for a blue sapphire (and the additional stone specs you've deemed important) - this way they can pull out the stones that fit into your criteria to have at the ready for your visit - I think both Pala and Gemfix of course display stones but also have large inventories "in the back". Good luck with your search!

Pala is about 1 hour north of San Diego. I would call ahead, but they can access any stone you want to look at. You do have to ask to see most of their loose stones as they do not keep them on display.

AFlyOnTheWall

Rough_Rock
Trade
There are lots of US Faceters and I think that Jeff won't hate me if I recommend a few:

Roger Dery is Spectral Gems http://www.spectralgems.net/

Matt Dunkle http://gemstonesbydsign.webs.com/

Jeff Hunt http://www.oneworldgemstone.com/category/artists/jeffrey-hunt/

Stephen Kotlowski at Phenomenal Facets http://www.phenomenalfacets.com/

...and:
One World Gemstone offers great eye candy http://www.oneworldgemstone.com

When working with custom faceters remember that they are gem cutters not web designers...so contact them and ask if they have what you are looking for.

...and I have to say thank you for thinking of using a custom cut stone - it will bring you joy every time you look at it.

HOWEVER - if you find yourself in a crunch:

this is a simple setting with millgraining and just a few diamonds - giving a bright look with the simple floral feel of the setting you were looking at: http://www.faycullen.com/Rings/9175/ (it can be sized and I am sure a larger sapphire wouldn't be an issue)

Not sure this could be sized up - but an East-West setting will give you better coverage http://www.faycullen.com/Rings/9297/

...a little pricey - but this one has a great vintage look AND a custom cut center stone...http://www.faycullen.com/Rings/9364/

OK - have fun shopping and congrats!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Its the one I've been drooling over for a while. Someone said they had it sent to them and it was slightly darker than pictured (that the color was very much like the color at 11 o'clock and 4 o'clock on the stone as its pictured) but had pretty bright blue flashes in the right light. I'll try to find the thread.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Liane's Description from the other thread.

Liane|1297708652|2851641 said:
It's tough to describe, and I'm not sure this is going to be at all accurate/useful because your monitor's likely calibrated differently from mine, but... overall I'd say the body color that I saw in most lights was about the color shown on the photo at 11 o' clock or 4 o' clock, i.e., a deep royal blue. Not dark enough that you'd mistake it for black, but a very deep blue. It gave off a lot of bright blue flashes when it caught the light, which I liked.

The Portuguese "petal effect" generally only showed up in parts of the stone at a time, depending on how it was rotated. What I saw in person looks a lot like what I see in the photo at 11 o' clock and 4 o' clock in that the facet pattern is visible if you look hard, but it's obscured by the depth of the color. I was looking for a stone where I could clearly see all the petals all the time, and I couldn't do it with that sapphire, so that's why I sent it back.

joebox

Rough_Rock
Decided to go with the sapphire by Andrew Gulij and my fiance absolutely loves it. The cut is indeed amazing, and I'm surprised by the price as well! It is darker than pictured above, but has an ocean quality where it looks as if the sun is glistening on top of the water. Now we just need a setting! She doesn't want any pauve, halos, or diamonds. Just a simple and clean setting to show off the stone. We walked into a family owned store and the woman suggested this setting to go with the stone.

In the store I did like it, but now I'm not so sure. Any other solitaire settings that might have a floral theme and show off the stone? My fiance likes it because it shows off the stone and lets light in from all sides.

I can't seem to upload pics from the server at the moment, but here is a link to a site that carries the setting we saw in the store.

http://www.stuller.com/products/150100/3013952/?groupId=7708

Opinions or suggestions?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results