shape
carat
color
clarity

Another dress shopping excursion - pics too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 1:02:46 AM
Author: swingirl
I like #2 and #5. You look fantastic in #2. It is very becoming and gives you that hour-glass-tiny-waist look. #5 is very nice too and in your size I think the gathering would relax some. The bodice is very becoming on you. The V elongates your neckline. The straight across strapless style can give the illusion of broadness.
Hi Swinggirl!
35.gif
thanks so much - as i check back here in the morning, #2 seems to be a lot of people's favorite - i knew it would be. I will have to go back and try that one on again, because as much as i understand that it looks good, i am just not sure how much i like it. Also, the beading under my arms at the top really bothered the inside of my arm a bit within the 10 minutes i had it on. Do you (anyone) think this will be a problem throughout the evening?

The Casablanca 1831: i was really excited to try this on because it seems to look really good on so many people around here. My mom DID NOT like it, and i was kind of "meh" about it, at the time. This one was WAY too small on me and i couldn't get it to come down enough on my waist - i think the sillhouette should be more like the maggie, but the saleslady was holding it really tight up around my natural waist. I really really have to find another place with a size that i can see what i'd look like....that part is frustrating. i love the idea of a vneck though....thanks!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the maggie on you. It gives you such an hourglass silhouette. I like the casablanca on you too.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the Maggie the best, but I also wanted to mention another style Maggie dress for you. It''s called Vernice and has a similar shape to the one you tried on, but with a sweetheart neckline and no beading. I almost got this dress, but went with another one at the last minute. Here''s a link with pictures from my dress search. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-found-my-dress.80060/

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Deelight! I really really liked the maggie too - it was extremely comfortable and easy to move in (it was a silk dupioni) and i like that it doesn''t have a big train. It was, however, out of my price range
38.gif
- i am a dummy for trying it on because i really liked it
28.gif

Gypsy - thanks for the honesty! i am not sure that it''s the dresses doing nothing for me - it might just be me
33.gif
? I have had some trouble finding ones that i like on me (these are just a few of the many i have tried on and NOT photographed).

Katamari and Gypsy - regarding the dip in the neckline or a sweetheart neckline - i usually agree. I have tried on a similar sottero and midgely and it had a sweetheart neck - i usually love those, but this one was much LESS flattering at the top than the others. I''ll post the two later on so you all can decide. Oh and Katamari, my mom and i are going back to look for #7 at the other store, because she liked the pictures of it too - i am sure it is gone now, because it was on clearance and $179....but were going to check anyway.

Thanks VR Beauty! these two seem to be very popular
9.gif

PilsnPinkysMom: Thanks so much! Don''t worry, i''m rarely offended - i really appreciate the honest responses. Quite frankly, it''s easy to get the criticism here because you all are anonymous and i like the feedback and the responses. What am i looking for? Well, i really think i lean toward the form fitting dresses (i agree with you there) but i am curvy and half of them i think look good, and half of them really don''t. It doesn''t help that i seem to be around a size 12/14 and many of these are a size 8. I''m sure i''ll be back with more!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another note about the Maggie. The silk Maggie''s are often offered in synthetic (but really nice!) taffeta for about 50% less. The Vernice was $850 list, but if I got the Vernice Marie, the taffeta version, it would have only been $399. Additionally, you can get Maggie''s (and possible Casablanca) through places like RK Bridal or Pearls Place.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 1:21:35 AM
Author: fleur-de-lis
#2 gets my vote. It looks great on you, Violet.

(#1, #3, and #4 sit too high on your torso IMO. I like #5, but it is not as flattering on your figure as #2. #6 might be pretty, but that fabric photographs terribly-- which is not a trait one wants when one is spending thousands of dollars on event photography.
2.gif
)

Curious to hear how you're leaning!
f-d-l
Thanks Fleur-de-lis!!! This is interesting and i am glad you posted this! I thought the material in real life was the prettiest i've seen (in a satin, that is) and i liked how it photographed, although that is with the flash and without it wasn't as irridescent. I think it's the color...it's called pearl, and that's exactly what it looked like. Oh! i have another photo in a different color with different lighting - this one wasn't my size....but i'll post for you so you can see if photographs any better than the last one.

The only ones i really really am attached to at all are the Maggie #3 - it felt great on and i felt really good in it - but its a little out of budget, so i am hoping to find something similar for a cheaper price. And the Alfred Angelo #6. But i am not married to the idea of either of them, so i like hearing what people think.

alfredangeloothercolor.JPG

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clairitek: you and i must have the same tastes - those were my two favorite also - my sister''s favorite is the Alfred Angelo, mine (only slightly) was the maggie. The Alfred Angelo is half the price of the other
39.gif

EM1 - thank you! overall i''ve liked the maggies a whole lot in terms of fit....

Thanks Bee! I kept trying on dresses like yours because i liked the mermaidy look, but this slim A line is a little more forgiving on me i think and i didn''t look so hot in some of the others - your''s is so pretty!

Hudson Hawk: this is so helpful! I sent the Vernice to a friend of mine - same shape! i do want to try it on, and THANK YOU for telling me about the fabric. I honestly had no idea about that. I will call and see if this limited edition comes in that fabric too - what a help!
36.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK all! this is from a different shopping trip. The sillhouette SHOULD be very similar to the other maggie - i think the cuts are the same. It has the sweetheart neckline - sorry it''s pink! Anyone who voted for the maggie, let me know if you like this one more or less b/c of the fit and the neckline. I didn''t like it as much when i looked back at pictures of the two, but i want to hear what you think!

p.s. note - they didn''t have one of those platform thingies and i didn''t have shoes on, so the bottom doesn''t flare out the same as in the other picture. I''ll do front and back. I had been considering this one before....

sotteroandmidgleypinkfront.jpg

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the back...

weddingdressviolet1290.jpg

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is that the Vernice in pink? It looks like it, but I can''t tell...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is. I really like it on you. I think the sweetheart neckline is more flattering and the asymmetrical rouching makes your torso look long. If you try it on again, have the lady pull the corset strings around your ribs a bit tighter for a smoother effect.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 8:39:20 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Is that the Vernice in pink? It looks like it, but I can't tell...
nope - it's sottero and midgley - no name, SSM5049. see here: http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=SM5&keywordType=any&pageSize=96&style=SSM5049

Ok all - i am gone til about 9 pm - thanks for all the help - i look forward to any more comments you all have! have a great day!

p.s. if anyone likes this one, you can call it #7 or just call it the pink one - i wouldn't order it in pink though!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
3 and then 2. I think the Maggie is really pretty and gives you a wondrful figure. I like 2 too, but then you wrote the skirt was really heavy and everything, so I kind of mentally crossed it off my list, but it''s definitely up there.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, they''re really similar.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Violet If you really like the Maggie I would definitly do a massive call around and see if you find it within your budget :), it wouldn''t hurt.

I still can''t pick between the two I like I still think they both look beautiful on you.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
I like the maggie and # 5. the best.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I like both Maggies on you. (I had to look again, but I think I like the first one I bit more). I also enjoy the Alfred Angelo dress on you.

I know someone mentioned to call around to determine if another boutique had the dress at a lower price. Sorry to slightly thread jack, but do some stores offer dress at that much of a price difference? If so, thats great news for me too!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
My top 3 favorites on you-

Reminder of oncewed.com for preowned if the maggie is where your heart lies. Also, RK Bridal in nyc will let you order online and often have a sig. discount for the same dresses salons carry.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
violet, I looooooove the Maggie on you!!! I think it''s super flattering, and it doesn''t look like "any other dress". A lot of the others are super traditional and gorgeous, but don''t stand out for me the same way!

The last dress is gorgeous too, even pink!! But I do love that #3!

oct2009

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 7:52:58 AM
Author: violet3
Also, the beading under my arms at the top really bothered the inside of my arm a bit within the 10 minutes i had it on. Do you (anyone) think this will be a problem throughout the evening?

Just wanted to chime in, YES. If it bothers you for the 10 minutes, it will really bother you for an entire evening. I tried on a dress with beading that bothered my arm, and I had a rash for three days from it. I can''t imagine what would have happened if I''d had it on for an entire day.

That said, I think the first Maggie looks great!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 9:03:55 AM
Author: BeachRunner
I like both Maggies on you. (I had to look again, but I think I like the first one I bit more). I also enjoy the Alfred Angelo dress on you.

I know someone mentioned to call around to determine if another boutique had the dress at a lower price. Sorry to slightly thread jack, but do some stores offer dress at that much of a price difference? If so, thats great news for me too!

Pearls Place and RK Bridal really do offer huge discounts on dresses. No one really knows why that is. PP is in Louisiana and RKB is in NY. Both have on-ground stores as well.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I love both the Maggie and the Sottero & Midgely dresses. The slanted rouching just does wonders for accentuating a waist! Gives such a lovely silhouette.

I prefer sweetheart necklines so I am drawn to the Sottero and Midgely. Both of the dresses look great on you so its a tough choice! I think the fit in the back on the Maggie is a little better but I am not sure if its enough to trump the sweetheart neckline.

You can''t go wrong with either choice if you love what you''re choosing.
1.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 10:45:01 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Date: 2/11/2009 9:03:55 AM

Author: BeachRunner

I know someone mentioned to call around to determine if another boutique had the dress at a lower price. Sorry to slightly thread jack, but do some stores offer dress at that much of a price difference? If so, thats great news for me too.

Pearls Place and RK Bridal really do offer huge discounts on dresses. No one really knows why that is. PP is in Louisiana and RKB is in NY. Both have on-ground stores as well.

Its amazing how much cheaper dresses can be at either of these two places. I bought my $1800 list price Marisa at Pearl''s Place for $1189. The cheapest I had found it in a salon was $1500 at a place having a trunk show. I ordered the Watters BM dresses for my friend''s wedding from PP too... cheapest we could find in a salon in our area was $175 but PP gave them to us for $140 shipped!

I have no experience with RK Bridal but I have heard similar things about their pricing. Definitely worth giving them both a call Violet (and BeachRunner!)!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 1:10:41 AM
Author: Gypsy
The Maggie is the only one I like. And I too would like the neckline softened with a dip. The others do nothing for you IMO, I'd say keep looking.
Ditto ditto DITTO! It is sooo flattering on you, the others, not so much. I would definitely sweetheart it too.

ETA: Didn't read until the end...I still like the shape of #3 better than the pink one, but I do like the sweetheart better. #3 makes you look so long which is good! I think we have really similar body types, so apologies if I seem harsh at all. I'm trying to think of what makes me look shorter and wider vs. taller and thinner!
1.gif

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
Ok, after seeing all of them now I STILL say the maggie (dress #3) does the most for your figure. It gives you a great shape while also appearing to have more "slimming action" than the other dresses. Personally, slimming action is pretty much all I ever look for when trying to find something fabulous to wear
2.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 8:37:09 AM
Author: violet3
OK all! this is from a different shopping trip. The sillhouette SHOULD be very similar to the other maggie - i think the cuts are the same. It has the sweetheart neckline - sorry it''s pink! Anyone who voted for the maggie, let me know if you like this one more or less b/c of the fit and the neckline. I didn''t like it as much when i looked back at pictures of the two, but i want to hear what you think!

This one, the Maggie with the sweetheart neckline. It gets my vote!

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
# 2. I love it. It looks the most flattering on and has the best detail. My second choice is #6 only because it reminds me of number 2and I like the way it fits you, not too sure of the shinyness to it, but I think it could look good in Dec. :)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the Maggie!! The famous casablanca looks great on you too and I think that''s my second choice.

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Hi violet my favorite is the maggie #3 it looks so beautiful on you. I also like #5 its elegant sexy if you know what I mean right? All of them are lovely on you but those two are my favorites
1.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
The Maggie looks amazing on you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results