Votes: 35 62.5%
  • Three-stone reset.

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Show me the results.

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
To celebrate the birth of my second child in July, I will be getting a jewelry related gift. My conundrum is which option to choose from two appealing possibilities. I am torn because this will be my only jewelry project for a long long time and I am drawn to both options. It is only the old "birth of a child" excuse and the $100, 10k posts gift from Andrey (thanks!!) that is making DH even remotely open to either option at this point ;)) :halo:

Note, these "baby gifts" and for mememememe and will not be passed on to any kids in the future ;)) Until I die that is.

Option 1: 4mm scattered diamond band from WF. I have always wanted one, and would wear it stacked with my half eternity that I got when Hunter was born on days I don't want to wear my big bling. There are some pics of the look here in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...bands-no-e-ring.146850/?hilit=scattered plain. Cost to me: ~$600. Pros: unique symbol of my second child, relatively small cost to me. Con: would I regret not getting my reset that I have been hankering for for three years? Will I feel I "wasted" the money by spending it on something other than the main project I have been working on for three years (e-ring)?

Option 2: Reset my solitaire into a three-stone using my new .70cttw studs as side stones. Cost to me: ~$1300. Obviously been wanting this for a long time. Pros: Seems like a good opportunity to finagle some jewelry money for the reset, I will not get another opportunity to spend money for... two years? Con: Slighly higher cost. Will I regret not having a stand alone piece to commemmorate my second child?

Thoughts?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should get a stand alone piece for the baby's birth and save the reset for an anniversary! That way you get both!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ooh this is tough. can you get your *dream* 3-stone ring for ~1400? If so that is what I would suggest but I thought you wanted slightly larger side stones? I personally think your earring stones are the perfect size for your center stone but if you want larger ones to be happy then I would wait to get larger side stones and the setting you really want.

have you been wanting the scattered band for a long time? I really like the scattered band too, especially stacked with the eternity band

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1302667842|2894725 said:
I think you should get a stand alone piece for the baby's birth and save the reset for an anniversary! That way you get both!

My 5 year anniversary is next year :halo:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1302667919|2894726 said:
ooh this is tough. can you get your *dream* 3-stone ring for ~1400? If so that is what I would suggest but I thought you wanted slightly larger side stones? I personally think your earring stones are the perfect size for your center stone but if you want larger ones to be happy then I would wait to get larger side stones and the setting you really want.

have you been wanting the scattered band for a long time? I really like the scattered band too, especially stacked with the eternity band

I could get one of WFs stock settings. I waffle on whether I want to try a custome three-stone setting, which would cost more, or just set the darn things. As for bigger sides... waffling again. That would delay things of course, and add cost to the project that I don't know if I want to add. In a way, I would sort of consider this setting a "temp" in the sense that I would go simpler and it would allow me to wear and enjoy a three-stone ring and figure out how I felt about the proportions for sure on my hand -- like you I do think these sides are prefect, but also think bigger would be nice too :halo: I doubt doing it now or later would change the setting I got. Before spending big bucks on a setting I would want to be 100% certain about proportions, and to do that I think I would need to wear it. So anyways, if I set it now it would be a-okay. This would be my "temp" setting, which I know I would love because I have tried one on very similar and it is a lot like my present ring: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...ois-brillant-diamond-engagement-ring-1426.htm

I have been wanting the scattered band since I found PS three years ago! I tried on the Tiffany etoile and really love it. I just wonder if I will regret not taking this chance to get my three stone finally. I have wanted that for three years too 8)

happybear

Shiny_Rock
I voted for the scattered stone because a stand-alone piece would be nice.....
Besides, your 5 year anniversary is just next year, so.... :naughty:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I voted scattered band, because I like the idea of a stand-alone piece to commemorate the birth of your child. Plus, I know you've wanted a scattered band for a long time, so it's not like this is an impulse piece that you would regret adding to your collection. I think the three-stone reset is a great way to celebrate an anniversary.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for the stand alone piece. It is a beautiful ring and you will have it forever but I am not convinced your 3 stone will always stay the same after its next reinvention!! :Up_to_something: :-o :devil: ;))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree...and you can stack it with your other baby ring. Save the reset for later.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to echo everyone else and say the scattered band. That will ALWAYS make you think of your child when you see it--there wont be any regrets. If you reset the ring, then your memories will be mixed up between the 2 wonderful occasions. That doesnt SOUND bad, but you want each piece to represent the different special times in your life....both wonderful experiences that should each have their own symbol representing it. I would save the reset for an anniversary.

Whatever you decide--congrats on a new baby!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the reset. No matter how much you like the scattered diamond band, you like the idea of the three stone ring more! You have your mind fixed on this for a very long time and i don't see you changing your opinion about it. You mentioned that you won't be able to spend any more money on jewellry for the next two years. That means that in a year, when your five-year anniversairy comes, you might not be in the position to go ahead with the reset, especially if you spend more money right now on a different project. I am absolutely sure that having the three stone ring on your finger - and fast - will make you much much happier than the band... :halo:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also voted for the scattered band. I recently got mine (ok, so I didn't brag.....am lazy and need to take the required pics!!!) and I LOVE it! I haven't been wanting one for a long time, but it is perfect. It would look great stacked w/your other ring. Plus down the road (say at your 7th anni? or a fun birthday) you can get more stackers or add to the 3 stone sparklie fund!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there is no way that you will not eventually get the reset Dreamer! So if you get the band, it is really just having one
more piece. Your DH knows that a reset is in your future, but if you get it now he may not be so crazy about getting the scattered
band real soon. (That is, if he has reached his jewelry spending threshold).

I would go with the scattered band and wait a bit for the reset. You'll have a beautiful piece to commemorate your new baby,
and it will give you hubby a chance to get mentally ready for your higher cost reset! :naughty:

Are you going to have the baby's name engraved on the inside with a little pink or blue sapphire?

How could your hubby deny you such a thing, after all the months and the final push?

Although I have to say after 5 kids I didn't get a single push present. I remind him ever time I buy a piece of jewelry! I think it is getting
a bit old!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I think that you should just go with your heart, and get whichever piece that you want the most deep down. Both sound like beautiful options. I can't wait to hear what you choose, and to see pics of the finished product!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, i ditto scattered band because it is a stand alone piece. I think if the three stone reset was a "for sure" permanent reset then I would have said go for it and get your new baby's name engraved in it or something. But because you aren't sure if you want larger side stones and you aren't sure if you'd like to get a more custom elaborate three stone setting down the road, then I have to say go with the scatter band!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer, I voted for the scattered band because I also think you should have a separate piece to represent your second child. I got mine from e-weddingbands and absolutely LOVE it. Mine was supposed to be a 1-year anniversary gift, but hubby turned it into a birthday gift because he knew I wouldn't be able to wait until October to start wearing it. You won't be sorry - it's simple, yet has those tiny sparklers so it's not boring. :razz:

Like others have said, you can do your 3-stone reset for one of your later anniversaries. If you do it now, you'll also have to give up those lovely studs! So you'd be sort of losing your earrings and a scattered band to get your 3-stone.

You have a hard decision to make, and I can't wait to see what you decide! Good luck!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree! This way, you end up with both in the end. :devil:
I'm the type that likes to prolong satisfaction for as long as possible, though. When I near the end of a book I really enjoy, I'll often force myself to read only a few pages every night. It's agony, but I love it!
Besides--won't the time fly once you have another baby on your hands?

So excited that you're in the market for something new! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
sandyandisaac|1302706947|2894945 said:
Dreamer, I voted for the scattered band because I also think you should have a separate piece to represent your second child. I got mine from e-weddingbands and absolutely LOVE it. Mine was supposed to be a 1-year anniversary gift, but hubby turned it into a birthday gift because he knew I wouldn't be able to wait until October to start wearing it. You won't be sorry - it's simple, yet has those tiny sparklers so it's not boring. :razz:

Like others have said, you can do your 3-stone reset for one of your later anniversaries. If you do it now, you'll also have to give up those lovely studs! So you'd be sort of losing your earrings and a scattered band to get your 3-stone.

You have a hard decision to make, and I can't wait to see what you decide! Good luck!

have you ever posted photos of your scattered band Sandy? I would love to see them.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
susimoo|1302698199|2894842 said:
Another vote for the stand alone piece. It is a beautiful ring and you will have it forever but I am not convinced your 3 stone will always stay the same after its next reinvention!! :Up_to_something: :-o :devil: ;))
+1 (no offense intended!!!!)

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1302711449|2895005 said:
have you ever posted photos of your scattered band Sandy? I would love to see them.
No, I haven't posted (I know, bad PSer!) it yet. I've been meaning to, but just haven't taken any pictures. I'll try to take some tonight if I can find my camera's memory card. It's the 4mm version from Benchmark with 12 0.02ct diamonds. It's so comfortable too!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1302711943|2895011 said:
susimoo|1302698199|2894842 said:
+1 (no offense intended!!!!)

Of course no offense taken. I have no desire for a "forever setting" for my ring :rodent: , so you are both likely correct.

Lots of good food or thought people! Thanks! :wavey:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I read your words you seem a little more excited to get the reset. So I voted for that - why put off til later what you can have now?! Plus, not sure if you saw my thread recently, but my sz 4.5 knuckle got mysteriously injured. I have the Etoile and 3 other eternity bands that cannot go over my knuckle and cannot be resized - so I'm biased now b/c that happened and I NEVER saw that coming. It's been a few months and I'm still holding out hope, but I'm also being realistic.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the scattered band also, for all the reasons already stated, plus one. If you go with the reset now you'll be losing a beautiful set of earrings. Do you really want your ears to feel so unloved?

Just an FYI, I've got some loose stones coming my way in the sizes you've talked about wanting for your side stones. If you want I'll tale pics of them next to my big stone since it's the same size as yours. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
Lula|1302693752|2894820 said:
I voted scattered band, because I like the idea of a stand-alone piece to commemorate the birth of your child. Plus, I know you've wanted a scattered band for a long time, so it's not like this is an impulse piece that you would regret adding to your collection. I think the three-stone reset is a great way to celebrate an anniversary.

I would agree with this too. Of course both options are win-win situations so you're good! Your 7th year anniversary is a big one too - representing a complete cycle - so a reset then, if you don't mind waiting, would def come in with open arms I'm sure!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I vote scattered too and save the reset for 5 year anniversary (or a little later if necessary). I think it would be nice to have a stand alone piece to celebrate baby #2, and it's likely your reset would be temp and not really what you wanted, that doesn't feel like the kind of project you want to celebrate a baby ;))

Plus I :love: the WF band (and am already schemeing how I can get one or an OEC :Up_to_something: )to celebrate when B joins our family AND you can enjoy your earrings for a while longer and get your money out of your current ering setting which is quite lovely...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you get a jewelry present for the first baby? If you did and you want another 'keep forever' gift then the scattered band would fit the bill.

HOWEVER, I can't help but feel that what you would really want is the reset. If you use your earring stones to flank the center stone, then you can say each one represents a child. I love being sentimental over jewelry and understand that if a piece represents a child you might want to keep it forever. However, we clearly were not very sentimental about our erings as we've traded them time and time again! I am guilty as a dog of this - ha!

I have the Tiffany etoile band that I wore for a few years before I got the Tiffany bezet. I kept it thinking I would wear it alone sometimes and you know what - I never have done that! It's a beautiful ring and I'm just thinking of selling it because I never wear it. There has just never been a time when I wanted to forego my diamond ring in lieu of it. You might be different but something to think about.

Anyhoo, there are two examples that would both fit for symbolism for the kids. While we all love different resets for rings, I like the choice of the one you are looking at. When I think about resetting my current ring which I roll around all the time, I always hear Dancing Fire in my ear saying 'it's just a holder for the stones - keep it plain and simple and the focus on the stones'. I guess the other layer of this advice is not to spend a king's ransom on the setting.

He makes an excellent point!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dreamer!

I am going to vote for the reset, because I truly feel that that's what you really want. I think that the reset can mark the baby's birth just as much as a separate piece of jewelry would. So, that's my vote!!!! ;))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted reset because it's something you really want and it will be a cherished piece that you will associate with celebrating the birth of your second child.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
sandyandisaac|1302712531|2895030 said:
Dreamer_D|1302711449|2895005 said:
No, I haven't posted (I know, bad PSer!) it yet. I've been meaning to, but just haven't taken any pictures. I'll try to take some tonight if I can find my camera's memory card. It's the 4mm version from Benchmark with 12 0.02ct diamonds. It's so comfortable too!
Here's a couple of quick shots - not that great, so let me know if you want different angles. The rings are kind of dirty too.

si_scatter1.JPG

si_scatter2.JPG

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do I feel like a few weeks from now you're going to be showing off a stunning baby gift pendant, or bracelet, or anything *but* reset/scattered band? 8)

That said.. you've voiced concerns about the size for resets a couple of times now, so I vote band (which looks awesome on S&I w/ her solitaire!!), and save the reset for a little longer and do it *right* instead of sacrificing now just to get it done.

Much as it pains me to vote against the threestone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results