shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Dilemma - VC Custom or Local Design Chosen by my GF?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Another Dilemma - VC Custom or Local Design Chosen by my

Well that was a good guess, I suggested Vatche after I saw your initial sketch. Ask Victor if he knows someone reliable that can set your stone into a Vatche setting in the US for you, if not then you could purchase the stone from him and get a reliable jeweller here to order that setting for you and set it or get it all done in the US. How much did they quote you for the setting here?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A couple of FYIs, Seeking Clarity -- and I swear I'm not trying to muck up matters!

* Vatché has no retail partners outside the US, not even in Canada. So although Vatché may offer a two-tone solitaire mounting that's remarkably similar to, maybe even mirrors, the one that's caught your fancy at Mondrian & you might prefer, for whatever reasons, to purchase a cast Vatché setting, you won't be able to do that with an Australian jeweler.

* Whiteflash has established policies that exclude the possibility of you ordering a Vatché mounting from WF and having WF set the VC diamond. WF will not set an "outside" diamond unless you first (a) provide proof of insurance covering the diamond, and (b) execute a waiver of liability. Also, the outside stone must be accompanied by an original lab report from GIA or AGS (which your VC stone has, so that component of their policy isn't a problem for you).
http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/whiteflash-policies/working-with-customers-diamonds-and-jewelry-875.htm

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If he has the measurements of the stone he can purchase the stone and the setting both from the US and have it set at an Independent jewellers in the US or here in Australia. And Mondial could very well get that setting unbranded from the US, and stamp Mondial on it, it might be made at the same place it might be made at a competitors casting business. A lot of settings here are cast and made overseas, as stated in my other posts most jewellery stores here do not have the skills, bench people or bench equipment to produce really high end settings, a large percentage outsource them. And the small handful that are left, there are a tiny few who are artists, but most make clunky, chunky heavy items or charge a lot of thin cheap mass settings pre-fabbed from China or places like Thailand. There are plenty of jewellers here that do work that is "nice" but you have to travel to Asia or the US to start seeing a lot of really high end items, and that elite quality of workmanship.

Unless you are a jewellery store or work in the Industry we don't have the same jewellery insurance here, the main way to get it is to have items listed on your household insurance, and you pay exceedingly more for that, and it has (to my knowledge) to be a complete piece, they won't insure a loose stone that is going to a jewellers.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1 said:
If he has the measurements of the stone he can purchase the stone and the setting both from the US and have it set at an Independent jewellers in the US or here in Australia. * * *
Are you thinking he should return the VC diamond and then make the complete purchase from Whiteflash? Or will Vatché fabricate a mounting without having the stone in hand, sent to them from one of their authorized retailers? That's not been my understanding based on a colleague's ring-buying experience & reading past threads here from, e.g., diamondseeker. But you or another PSer may know of a vendor who can make that happen.

Assuming that is possible, we don't yet know the respective prices of the Mondrian and a Vatché look-aline (or close to it), setting fees, who will set an outside stone without requiring Seeking Clarity to waive liability (as Mondrian would have him do) and/or have insurance on the loose stone. So it's not obvious to me at this juncture what advantage(s) there would be in ordering a Vatché mounting and having an independent jeweler in either Australia or the US set the VC stone in it -- instead of ordering the Mondrian one that Seeking Clarity has seen, thought it "quite beautiful", and knows it's captured his future wife's fancy.

What am I failing to consider?

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock

Acinom|1472676282|4071996 said:
Aha!! Fine detective work by Gypsy

I found these on the Vatche site:
But if you call or mail them they might immediately know what the specific design is.

The collective knowledge of settings on this board is impressive!

I think the 119 Royal Crown Round is the closest match, but I'm not sure it is a 100% match.

I thought the stone was set a bit lower and the tapered cathedral bits (please excuse my terminology!) off the shoulder did not touch the prongs. Another slight difference, if I can remember clearly, was that there was no inverted v between the prongs, the tip of which is making the 12 and 6 o'clock prongs in the 119. In fact, the prongs were rotated slightly so that they were at 3 and 9 o'clock and then evenly spaced with two in between on either side instead of at 12 and 6.

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock

MollyMalone|1472689491|4072058 said:
arkieb1 said:
If he has the measurements of the stone he can purchase the stone and the setting both from the US and have it set at an Independent jewellers in the US or here in Australia. * * *
Are you thinking he should return the VC diamond and then make the complete purchase from Whiteflash? Or will Vatché fabricate a mounting without having the stone in hand, sent to them from one of their authorized retailers? That's not been my understanding based on a colleague's ring-buying experience & reading past threads here from, e.g., diamondseeker. But you or another PSer may know of a vendor who can make that happen.

Assuming that is possible, we don't yet know the respective prices of the Mondrian and a Vatché look-aline (or close to it), setting fees, who will set an outside stone without requiring Seeking Clarity to waive liability (as Mondrian would have him do) and/or have insurance on the loose stone. So it's not obvious to me at this juncture what advantage(s) there would be in ordering a Vatché mounting and having an independent jeweler in either Australia or the US set the VC stone in it -- instead of ordering the Mondrian one that Seeking Clarity has seen, thought it "quite beautiful", and knows it's captured his future wife's fancy.

What am I failing to consider?

Mondial quoted about 10% higher than WF taking into consideration exchange rate and 10% GST upon arrival, but not shipping. They could essentially come out to be about the same with shipping. Mondial did mention that they only use a "premium" 18k white gold which will not yellow over time as the rhodium plating wears off. Does this help determine where the cast is coming from?

arkieb1 said:
If he has the measurements of the stone he can purchase the stone and the setting both from the US and have it set at an Independent jewellers in the US or here in Australia. And Mondial could very well get that setting unbranded from the US, and stamp Mondial on it, it might be made at the same place it might be made at a competitors casting business. A lot of settings here are cast and made overseas, as stated in my other posts most jewellery stores here do not have the skills, bench people or bench equipment to produce really high end settings, a large percentage outsource them. And the small handful that are left, there are a tiny few who are artists, but most make clunky, chunky heavy items or charge a lot of thin cheap mass settings pre-fabbed from China or places like Thailand. There are plenty of jewellers here that do work that is "nice" but you have to travel to Asia or the US to start seeing a lot of really high end items, and that elite quality of workmanship.

Unless you are a jewellery store or work in the Industry we don't have the same jewellery insurance here, the main way to get it is to have items listed on your household insurance, and you pay exceedingly more for that, and it has (to my knowledge) to be a complete piece, they won't insure a loose stone that is going to a jewellers.

If I'm not 100% certain the Mondial is a re-branded Vatche setting, is it still safe to assume that it is of decent quality? I'm guessing no...

Hopefully Alistair Kelsey is an exception to the rule and does not do clunky/chunky/heavy items! Some of the prongs on the few pictures that load for me off his website seem substantially thicker than VC (perhaps by design or the size of the stone that is being used as an example?), but others look much more refined. I did get a very promising response from Alistair and plan to call him today. He mentioned that his insurance policy will cover the stone in transit to him, during fabrication/setting and in transit to me. He also mentioned that the design should be hand fabricated, as the wires will need to be work-hardened.

Without any independent assessment of Mondial's fabrication quality, I am leaning towards VC or working with Alistair at the moment, will keep you all posted!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mondials rings are generally quite well made, they are not hand forged but they are fairly high quality compared to what else we see here. If the setting is slightly different and there is only that difference in price then I agree getting it set here using the Mondial setting is viable option as well. When I talk differences in settings, these are things the average person is never going to notice unless it's a really cheap piece of junk from Asia - which Mondial do not sell. See what Alistair and Victor come up with as options and then make the decision.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SeekingClarity|1472697336|4072100 said:
Hopefully Alistair Kelsey is an exception to the rule and does not do clunky/chunky/heavy items! Some of the prongs on the few pictures that load for me off his website seem substantially thicker than VC (perhaps by design or the size of the stone that is being used as an example?), but others look much more refined. I did get a very promising response from Alistair and plan to call him today. He mentioned that his insurance policy will cover the stone in transit to him, during fabrication/setting and in transit to me. He also mentioned that the design should be hand fabricated, as the wires will need to be work-hardened. * * *
The extent of Alistair Kelsey's insurance converge is terrific news!

Acinom has launched a number of themed threads on the Colored Stones forum (e.g., It's Electric... and Blue! Electric Blue Topaz Stories; Fabulous CS stones that are under 1250 dollars; Show your colors of the Rainbow! ) that are so much fun to watch unfold -- and serve as wonderful archives for future reference. Here's the link to The Alistair Kelsey collection, so you can see more of his pieces than the "sneak preview" of his work she posted for you earlier in this thread :sun:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-alistair-kelsey-collection.218921/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-alistair-kelsey-collection.218921/[/URL]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Go with the Mondial setting. If you do not, discuss it with her. Okay? You do not want to spend thousands and her reaction be..."but why didn't I get my setting!"

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock

The examples of Alistair's work are wonderful. After having a thorough conversation with him today, he is going to draft a new design based on our discussion and my sketch. Depending on how that turns out (I'm optimistic), I will either proceed to work with Alistair or have VC set the stone in the Gabriella setting. Unfortunately, it just seems like too much risk to have Mondial set the stone without it being insured for it to be a realistic option for me.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Or if those two options don't work you could buy the setting from Mondial take the risk of shipping it overseas (which should be fine) and ask Victor nicely if he would set it for you. If you do that you need to keep a copy of the receipt and email Victor a receipt so you could in theory not declare the setting part because it was technically manufactured (even if it wasn't, for the sake of Customs) here in Australia, since it came from Australia as country of origin if you purchase it here and you paid for it already, you should not have to pay anything on it, and even if you did have to pay any GST or duty on the setting, then in theory you could claim it back again (although they intentionally create a lot of red tape to do that).

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have read your post in a different thread stating that the ring is (almost) ready? That's great news!! We would love to see lots of pics :appl: :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results