shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Dilemma - VC Custom or Local Design Chosen by my GF?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Another Dilemma - VC Custom or Local Design Chosen by my

And this is what she wanted? Do you have pics of rings she likes or expressed her interest in? Yeah I agree with Gypsy I'd just be getting either a solitaire you think she would like, a Mark Morrell ring or maybe something from Vatche or Whiteflash or Brian Gavin. If you really want to attempt to make that basket someone like Grace from Jewels by Grace, Brilliantly Engaged or Caysie from CVB, or indeed the Whiteflash or Brian Gavin benches are all possible options. If someone with Victor's skill doesn't want to make it I shudder to think what they will do with it trying to make it here in Australia....

A nice pre-existing solitaire from Victor would be my first choice because you are purchasing the stone from him and it's going to be a whole lot easier, possible suggestions are show one of her friends or family members asking them specifically to keep it a secret a few of his rings and see if they like anything he has.

You need to think about durability and cleaning issues (getting in underneath to clean the diamond) with your design as well and the proportions of your stone to the metal, ie is that type of setting going to "swamp" the stone.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy said:
Get the original setting she wants. It's just a solitaire. I sincerely think that's the best way to go.
I agree. Sometimes I think we try to push people the way we would go.

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock

shaggy1 said:
Gypsy said:
Get the original setting she wants. It's just a solitaire. I sincerely think that's the best way to go.

Is it worth the risk of not having the diamond insured during the setting process? That has become my biggest concern now as I've already bought the stone.

arkieb1 said:
And this is what she wanted? Do you have pics of rings she likes or expressed her interest in? Yeah I agree with Gypsy I'd just be getting either a solitaire you think she would like, a Mark Morrell ring or maybe something from Vatche or Whiteflash or Brian Gavin. If you really want to attempt to make that basket someone like Grace from Jewels by Grace, Brilliantly Engaged or Caysie from CVB, or indeed the Whiteflash or Brian Gavin benches are all possible options. If someone with Victor's skill doesn't want to make it I shudder to think what they will do with it trying to make it here in Australia....

A nice pre-existing solitaire from Victor would be my first choice because you are purchasing the stone from him and it's going to be a whole lot easier, possible suggestions are show one of her friends or family members asking them specifically to keep it a secret a few of his rings and see if they like anything he has.

You need to think about durability and cleaning issues (getting in underneath to clean the diamond) with your design as well and the proportions of your stone to the metal, ie is that type of setting going to "swamp" the stone.

Victor did not think it was worthwhile to make by hand; however, the original is cast and then the stone is "hand set" (which makes me think it's just the prongs). Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the actual ring. I saw it with a 1.09 ct diamond and it looked quite beautiful.

A good friend has had very positive feedback on Victor's Gabriella! But I think Gypsy's point was to just get it locally set.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well you need to weigh up your options, the Gabriella versus the local ring. Do you know where the local ring was made? If it was something they imported and then they set for you or if they made it themselves? A lot of items here are imported and made cheaply from Asia and then just set here.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

shaggy1|1472626501|4071769 said:
Gypsy said:

Sometimes we push them the way "we would go" for a good reason.....If you saw how badly made and how expensive relative to what you get, most of the settings are here in Australia you would fully understand that comment.

hmhmhm

Rough_Rock

This could be completely impractical, but what about purchasing the setting from Mondial (in a size appropriate for a stone in the size that you have bought) and sending that setting to Victor for him to set the stone in? There are probably too many issues with this option (tax, shipping and insurance costs, etc), but just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone thought this would be viable...

I would not risk getting the stone set while it isn't insured, but I am risk adverse. However, my ring itself isn't insured because the premiums are so high that it wasn't worth it to me (it worked out that if I paid 12 years of premiums, I could buy a whole new ring!).

hmhmhm

Rough_Rock

And I agree with those posters who suggested showing your girlfriend Victor's website and real life photos of his rings.

Or if you don't want her to know about the impending proposal, consider proposing without a ring. I used to think you MUST propose with a ring, otherwise it's not a proper proposal. But I realised that the substance of the proposal is what makes the proposal special.

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock

arkieb1|1472628166|4071777 said:
shaggy1|1472626501|4071769 said:
Gypsy said:

Sometimes we push them the way "we would go" for a good reason.....If you saw how badly made and how expensive relative to what you get, most of the settings are here in Australia you would fully understand that comment.

Yikes! As someone who has experienced VC's quality and compared it to other jewelers around town, I'm becoming a bit concerned about going with the local setting (or having anything else made here, for that matter).

I have no idea where the ring is actually made, though they did indicate it would be 5-6 weeks from receipt of the diamond (which seems slow). They did mention they only have one jeweler that makes this particular design though.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hmhmhm|1472630856|4071789 said:
This could be completely impractical, but what about purchasing the setting from Mondial (in a size appropriate for a stone in the size that you have bought) and sending that setting to Victor for him to set the stone in? There are probably too many issues with this option (tax, shipping and insurance costs, etc), but just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone thought this would be viable...

I would not risk getting the stone set while it isn't insured, but I am risk adverse. However, my ring itself isn't insured because the premiums are so high that it wasn't worth it to me (it worked out that if I paid 12 years of premiums, I could buy a whole new ring!).

To my knowledge Victor will not set his stones in outside settings, and financially that makes no sense either because he would then be up for 10% import duty on the setting he purchased from here when it re-enters the country.

Yeah that sounds to me like they probably import that setting from overseas it could be a cheap Asian made setting or it could be something they get from the US, or it could be a 3rd party that casts things here, many jewellers here are like that they only do very basic bench work themselves. I think save yourself drama and go with the Victor setting, they are beautiful and well made, I doubt she is going to be disappointed with it.

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock

arkieb1|1472632050|4071794 said:
hmhmhm|1472630856|4071789 said:

To my knowledge Victor will not set his stones in outside settings, and financially that makes no sense either because he would then be up for 10% import duty on the setting he purchased from here when it re-enters the country.

Yeah that sounds to me like they probably import that setting from overseas it could be a cheap Asian made setting or it could be something they get from the US, or it could be a 3rd party that casts things here, many jewellers here are like that they only do very basic bench work themselves. I think save yourself drama and go with the Victor setting, they are beautiful and well made, I doubt she is going to be disappointed with it.

That is quite depressing to hear. Is this a common practice for vendors that are not explicitly known to be hand made (cast or otherwise)? I'm guessing even the more reasonably priced setting recommended on here are all cast, but would they be cast in-house or mass produced from a 3rd party? I'm guessing labels like Tiffany's uses mass production casting...

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Reading through you thread I would let Victor create a setting but I would first look through his site, FB page and the thread here on PS with real life pics, together with your GF. I would also explain that the local jeweller is not an option because of the insurance dilemma to manage expectations. Victor's work is top notch and I hope your GF loves the designs.

Victor will not set in outside settings I guess...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Actually seeing Acinom's post just gave me an idea, email your sketches to Alistair and see if he could make a version of that ring for you;

http://alistairkelsey.portfoliobox.me/white-diamond

You could buy the stone from Victor and have him set it as another option.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can recommend both Victor as well as Alistair Kelsey (who is located in Australia!). Not sure though whether your stone would be insured if Alistair sets it. You would have to contact him.

Is it correct that the six prong solitaire from Mondial is not shown on their website? It would help if we know what design you are referring to exactly.

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock

I will look into Alistair's work tonight and reach out to him via email!

Correct, the six prong solitaire is not on Mondial's website, aside from the splash page. There are two rose/white gold rings there and I believe it is the solitaire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SeekingClarity|1472645967|4071828 said:
* * * Correct, the six prong solitaire is not on Mondial's website, aside from the splash page. There are two rose/white gold rings there and I believe it is the solitaire.
Can you capture it for us via a screen shot? I'm not seeing it & my curiosity is piqued! ;)) (ETA there are designs which really are better suited for casting)

I myself would not assume that an estimate of 5-6 weeks means the Mondial setting is a cheap casting from China or elsewhere, not locally fabricated. Especially since you yourself have seen the ring & it apparently did not strike you as being lightweight or of shoddy quality. There are any number of a jewelers/benches here in the US who give a 4-6 week estimate to "turn around" a ring of their own design which they themselves cast and finish before setting the center stone.

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock

MollyMalone said:
* * * Correct, the six prong solitaire is not on Mondial's website, aside from the splash page. There are two rose/white gold rings there and I believe it is the solitaire.
Can you capture it for us via a screen shot? I'm not seeing it & my curiosity is piqued! ;)) (ETA there are designs which really are better suited for casting)

I myself would not assume that an estimate of 5-6 weeks means the Mondial setting is a cheap casting from China or elsewhere, not locally fabricated. Especially since you yourself have seen the ring & it apparently did not strike you as being lightweight or of shoddy quality. There are any number of a jewelers/benches here in the US who give a 4-6 week estimate to "turn around" a ring of their own design which they themselves cast and finish before setting the center stone.

Here's an image I was able to capture from their website. It's from a very steep angle, so the design is not readily visible, but it has elements from the 3 stone design.

abc089154c85ed16ed0556e4784c74af.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd say they either use a casting place in the US or a specific person here in Australia that casts that does that. Few places here have the skills to do that properly. Yssie made a 3 stone like it three times and even then she sent the final one back to redo bits here is the link, Whiteflash made the end/final model;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/[/URL]

I can see why Victor doesn't want to make it, it's a piece that needs to be cast. Email Whiteflash and get a quote from them.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah, that is a very specific design.
Arkieb and others: do you think Brilliantly Engaged could make a CAst version of the trellis solitaire? And do they insure outside stones?

Here are some six prong styles that Victor does, but your GF might hate or love these:

_5538.jpeg

_5540.jpeg

_5541.jpeg

_5542.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Other styles by Victor:

_5543.jpeg

_5544.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some solitaire styles by Alistair Kelsey. Show him the one your GF picked as well to see whether he can create anything similar.

At this point I would do some eye candy shopping with your GF (after checking out the insurance) to see whether she loves the other styles as well. If not, then the search begins for a CAD/CAST bench that can create something similar to the one your GF loves.

_5545.jpeg

_5546.jpeg

_5547.jpeg

_5548.jpeg

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock

arkieb1|1472652557|4071852 said:
I'd say they either use a casting place in the US or a specific person here in Australia that casts that does that. Few places here have the skills to do that properly. Yssie made a 3 stone like it three times and even then she sent the final one back to redo bits here is the link, Whiteflash made the end/final model;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yssies-new-ring-is-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/[/URL]

I can see why Victor doesn't want to make it, it's a piece that needs to be cast. Email Whiteflash and get a quote from them.

Wow, three times to get it right? The final outcome is brilliant, but I'd be a bit wary about the time and effort involved for a project of that magnitude. I'm guessing that since Mondial has been around since the 50's, they've been casting this specific design for many years. Practice makes perfect?

Would WF be able to set a VC stone? Is it normal to have Victor send one of his diamonds to WF?

I've emailed Alistair, but based on this feedback it sounds like he'll have a similar response to Victor. It's great how on his site he actually shows images of a ring from start to finish (though a number of the images for finished pieces don't display for me).

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for sharing all the inspirational images, Acinom! The Gabriella is my front-runner from VC, though the 6-prong crown basket and sapphire (?) ring both look lovely as well. I'm slightly concerned that these designs may not look as elegant on a 1.27 ct stone.

For some reason, I wasn't able to view more of AK's rings on his website. The last one you posted is very fluid and almost a futuristic/modern take on what I'm looking for (with 3 fewer prongs). I'm curious to see what he says about my conundrum.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1472642221|4071819 said:
Actually seeing Acinom's post just gave me an idea, email your sketches to Alistair and see if he could make a version of that ring for you;

http://alistairkelsey.portfoliobox.me/white-diamond

You could buy the stone from Victor and have him set it as another option.

Off-topic, but...

oh, my - that swoopy alistair ring...

Drool! :love: :cheeky:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

SeekingClarity|1472650884|4071842 said:
MollyMalone said:

Here's an image I was able to capture from their website. It's from a very steep angle, so the design is not readily visible, but it has elements from the 3 stone design.

That is a Vatche setting. Go to the Vatche website. Go to WF. If that's the setting your lady wants. Vatche has it. They are probably a Vatche dealer.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

SeekingClarity said:
shaggy1 said:
Gypsy said:

Is it worth the risk of not having the diamond insured during the setting process? That has become my biggest concern now as I've already bought the stone.

I have an uninsured 22k usd stone that I've had a local jeweler set a couple of times. The 'we aren't responsible' language is standard procedure IMO and it wouldn't bother me since you have independent confirmation that the jeweler is trustworthy, but only you can say if you're comfortable with it.

I would ask if the stone would be leaving the premises though.

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy said:
SeekingClarity|1472650884|4071842 said:
MollyMalone said:

That is a Vatche setting. Go to the Vatche website. Go to WF. If that's the setting your lady wants. Vatche has it. They are probably a Vatche dealer.
Since it's a vatche setting, that eliminates concerns about it being a cheap casting.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry - never mind!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aha!! Fine detective work by Gypsy

I found these on the Vatche site:
But if you call or mail them they might immediately know what the specific design is.

_1377.png

_1378.png

_1379.png

_1380.png

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Or these?

_1382.png

_1383.png

_1384.png