shape
carat
color
clarity

Another but Different GIA vs AGS Question

southLA504

Rough_Rock
I've done some research and I know these are the top 2 labs for grading.

I've seen GIA is a little more strict on color than AGS, with AGS being more strict on cut grades.

I know the typical thread about which diamond cert should I look for when buying a diamond?

Instead, I have a personal uncertified diamond which I'd like to get inspected for the fun of it.

From this aspect, would choosing either of these 2 different labs have a difference of the value of the stone since they grade differently?

For example - Would it be better to get the GIA cert because cut or clarity has a higher value in effecting the price than color does? Or does this not matter?

I know there are a bunch of jewelers that like to get EGL because the cert will sometimes say it's graded a G stone, where if u had it done by GIA it could come back as an I color.

Thanks for the help, i'd just hate to lose money on the stone's value if I ever decided to sell it, or if it was lost from having chosen the wrong lab and gotten a worse grade.

PS. I had the diamond inspected by a certified GIA inspector so would getting it certified be a waist of money or is it worth it to have the actual certificate?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some folks would agree with your line of thinking and yet some of the expert vendors here would disagree.

My opinion is that AGS gives you a much better assessment of cut quality but for resale purposes, GIA will probably be more recognized.

If you are planning to sell or trade it, then having it certified would be a big plus. If it is a stone you plan to keep regardless of the certificate, then I might not worry with it. An independent appraiser could give you a very good idea of the specs of the stone.

I don't know who the GIA person you are referring to is but without a cert, his opinion is just an opinion.

southLA504

Rough_Rock
MissGotRocks|1444700737|3937673 said:
Some folks would agree with your line of thinking and yet some of the expert vendors here would disagree.

My opinion is that AGS gives you a much better assessment of cut quality but for resale purposes, GIA will probably be more recognized.

If you are planning to sell or trade it, then having it certified would be a big plus. If it is a stone you plan to keep regardless of the certificate, then I might not worry with it. An independent appraiser could give you a very good idea of the specs of the stone.

I don't know who the GIA person you are referring to is but without a cert, his opinion is just an opinion.

Thank you for ur post. And no I don't plan on getting rid of it ever, I just wanted to know the exact specs on it for the fun of it. Like how good is it's light return, what is it's depth to table measurements, and so on and so on. An appraiser can't do that can he? Just an actual lab itself I thought.

But if I plan on keeping it regardless I guess it would just be a waste of money lol.

If I send it to GIA do they automatically do the ideal scope or AGS do the ASET or does that cost extra? Thanks!

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Look for an EGL G and a GIA I with similar proportions and see what their prices are. I'm willing to be the GIA will still cost more even though it grades lower.

If you happen to have an ideal or super ideal cut stone then I would send it to AGS to have them verify the light performance. But if it were such an ideally cut stone then I imagine it would have already been certed by GIA or AGS.

Do you have any idea what it's proportions are? Depending on that it may be better to send it to one or the other. However, I'm guessing it's not an ideal cut so you are probably better off sending it to GIA. I'd also have GIA or AGS inscribe it as that will help add some value should you choose to sell it since a potential buyer can more easily match the cert to stone.

If you want an ASET or IS then find an appraiser who can supply images for it. And even the H&A views too while you're at it.

southLA504

Rough_Rock
solgen|1444702637|3937681 said:
Look for an EGL G and a GIA I with similar proportions and see what their prices are. I'm willing to be the GIA will still cost more even though it grades lower.

If you happen to have an ideal or super ideal cut stone then I would send it to AGS to have them verify the light performance. But if it were such an ideally cut stone then I imagine it would have already been certed by GIA or AGS.

Do you have any idea what it's proportions are? Depending on that it may be better to send it to one or the other. However, I'm guessing it's not an ideal cut so you are probably better off sending it to GIA. I'd also have GIA or AGS inscribe it as that will help add some value should you choose to sell it since a potential buyer can more easily match the cert to stone.

If you want an ASET or IS then find an appraiser who can supply images for it. And even the H&A views too while you're at it.

Great post and thank you!

I thought the ASET or IS had to be done at the actual lab? An appraiser has ASET or IS equipment on hand or at their location? As in instead of having to mail it to GIA or AGS I can just bring it to him and have him do it in person?

southLA504

Rough_Rock

The GIA appraiser said it was excellent cut, J color, SI-1 clarity. I get confused with the different cut grades from GIA and AGS. Isn't excellent the best cut for GIA and Ideal for AGS? So if he does it's excellent cut according to his GIA standings maybe I should send it into AGS?

IDK lol.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some FYIs for you:
* GIA does not certify diamond inspectors-appraisers. Like a college diploma, GIA's Graduate Gemologist diploma is not a true certificate (GIA itself purposefully avoids using the word "certificate" for either its diplomas or its lab reports) or like a license that requires testing of any special niche of gemological expertise - and GIA does not include any appraisal training whatsoever as part of its diplomas' coursework.

* As a private individual, you yourself cannot order a lab report from AGS; you would need to find a AGS retail jeweler willing to handle the transaction for you. See FAQ #3 here:
https://www.americangemsociety.org/ags-labs-faqs

* Yes, there are independent appraisers who have an IdealScope & the AGS ASET software -- and much more! For example, see this round-up of the equipment, tools, and resources that David Wolf, an appraiser in NYC who holds the Master Gemologist Appraiser Certificate from the American Society of Appraisers, has:
http://www.justappraisers.com/appraisal-services/our-laboratory
That isn't true of everyone who holds themselves out as an independent appraiser, but the list gives you an idea of what a true pro, with excellent credentials and the willingness-ability to invest in his/her chosen profession, can offer.

Hope this helps :wavey:

southLA504

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1444708795|3937703 said:
Some FYIs for you:
* GIA does not certify diamond inspectors-appraisers. Like a college diploma, GIA's Graduate Gemologist diploma is not a true certificate (GIA itself purposefully avoids using the word "certificate" for either its diplomas or its lab reports) or like a license that requires testing of any special niche of gemological expertise - and GIA does not include any appraisal training whatsoever as part of its diplomas' coursework.

* As a private individual, you yourself cannot order a lab report from AGS; you would need to find a AGS retail jeweler willing to handle the transaction for you. See FAQ #3 here:
https://www.americangemsociety.org/ags-labs-faqs

* Yes, there are independent appraisers who have an IdealScope & the AGS ASET software -- and much more! For example, see this round-up of the equipment, tools, and resources that David Wolf, an appraiser in NYC who holds the Master Gemologist Appraiser Certificate from the American Society of Appraisers, has:
http://www.justappraisers.com/appraisal-services/our-laboratory
That isn't true of everyone who holds themselves out as an independent appraiser, but the list gives you an idea of what a true pro, with excellent credentials and the willingness-ability to invest in his/her chosen profession, can offer.

Hope this helps :wavey:

Thanks a ton and yes this definitely helps!

Is there a way to find an appraiser locally like a David Wolf with excellent credentials or are they few and hard to find? Or is my best bet to just go to the jeweler where I purchased the stone and get them to send it to GIA and have it graded for me? They told me they wouldn't mind but it would cost around $200 dollars.

southLA504

Rough_Rock
Also thanks to everyone for helping nd sorry for my ignorance, I'm sure you all have answered this question more than once.

southLA504

Rough_Rock
For example, AGS has a tool on their website that helps u find a certified gemologist appraiser (CGA).

Would this work? They have one 3 miles from me.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
You can call various appraisers and see if they have the equipment to provide ASET and Idealscope images. Maybe they can do a SARIN or helium scan too so you can get an idea of the proportions of the diamond. It'll give you a better idea on just how well cut it is.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
southLA504|1444710948|3937706 said:
For example, AGS has a tool on their website that helps u find a certified gemologist appraiser (CGA).
Sounds promising! 'Cause look at the necessary qualifications, including having an AGS-accredited gem lab:
https://www.americangemsociety.org/independentcertified

Take a look at that local CGA's web site and also see if there are reviews on Yelp and/or here on PS. One of the things I (and Yelpsters) value about David Wolf is that he wants you to have a greater appreciation of the appraisal process & your stone or jewelry, so a session with him is like having your own personal tutor. Think it would be great if you too could have that :))

southLA504

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1444712290|3937712 said:
southLA504|1444710948|3937706 said:
Sounds promising! 'Cause look at the necessary qualifications, including having an AGS-accredited gem lab:
https://www.americangemsociety.org/independentcertified

Take a look at that local CGA's web site and also see if there are reviews on Yelp and/or here on PS. One of the things I (and Yelpsters) value about David Wolf is that he wants you to have a greater appreciation of the appraisal process & your stone or jewelry, so a session with him is like having your own personal tutor. Think it would be great if you too could have that :))

Awesome, I looked into them on yelp and they have a 5 out of 5 star rating, but I don't believe they are an ICGA because u can't sell jewelry, which they do, if you are but they are a CGA.

IDK if that makes a difference because I'm sure they don't want you to sell jewelry and do appraisals if your buying from them because it could skew your grading of the diamond but since I already have the diamond maybe it would be ok?

southLA504

Rough_Rock
solgen|1444712196|3937711 said:
You can call various appraisers and see if they have the equipment to provide ASET and Idealscope images. Maybe they can do a SARIN or helium scan too so you can get an idea of the proportions of the diamond. It'll give you a better idea on just how well cut it is.

Great advice, thank you!

southLA504

Rough_Rock

I do know the proportions, or at least the measurements. He measured it and it was 8.2 x 8.3 - This was done by a hand tool so i'm sure the measurement wasn't exactly precise, which he told me, but he said it was very close. Now if ur asking about the table or depth, no I have no idea and he said it would have to be sent into the lab to find that out.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I was talking about table, depth, crown and pav angles, star ad lower girdle facet lengths, etc. If you don't care about those then an appraiser who can provide the ASET or IS images will probably suffice. I'm also overly paranoid so I like the laser inscription services so just in case I take it in for a cleaning I can be sure they don't try swapping the stone.

southLA504

Rough_Rock
solgen|1444713881|3937721 said:
Yeah, I was talking about table, depth, crown and pav angles, star ad lower girdle facet lengths, etc. If you don't care about those then an appraiser who can provide the ASET or IS images will probably suffice. I'm also overly paranoid so I like the laser inscription services so just in case I take it in for a cleaning I can be sure they don't try swapping the stone.

Haha i don't blame you at all.

As far as my story goes, I got the diamond uncertified, which I know is a mistake. I trusted the appraiser with the GG diploma from GIA and went ahead and bought the stone. I know that's a mistake but it was before I knew about this site, but still no excuse. For what I paid, the stone is very big, white, and has beautiful brilliance and to the naked eye I can't see any inclusions at all. Because of all this I guess that's why I was ok with buying it because some J stones have a slight yellow tint, this one faces up remarkably white, it's an SI2 and has no visual inclusions I can see, and for 2.07 carats it looks very large. So my logic of reason was that if it faces up white as a J stone, and shines like crazy and has no visual inclusions with an SI2 grade what better could I ask for? I know you should always buy a diamond with a certificate but I really good deal, or at least I think I did lol.

Also when I bought the stone, there was an EGL diamond of the same size with an H grade and SI1 clarity, and the uncertified stone I got blew it out of the water in terms of color whiteness, clarity and brilliance.

I guess as long as i'm happy with it, it doesn't matter, until I find out I got ripped off and then it will matter lol.

Is it possible to buy an un certified diamond and then get it certified and find out it's actually worth more than what you paid or does this never happen?

For example, the jeweler has an uncertified stone and thinks it's worth 5,000, sells it for 6,000 dollars and then u get it certified and it actually should have sold for 7,000?

southLA504

Rough_Rock
I have non photoshopped pictures of the stone I could post but it's prob impossible to tell a diamond's color or value from some pictures.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
southLA504|1444715150|3937722 said:
* * * Is it possible to buy an un certified diamond and then get it certified and find out it's actually worth more than what you paid or does this never happen?
For example, the jeweler has an uncertified stone and thinks it's worth 5,000, sells it for 6,000 dollars and then u get it certified and it actually should have sold for 7,000?
I'd say it's very unlikely that someone who sells diamonds for a living would be duped in that fashion. ;))
(I'll venture to say it's more probable that the stone had a report from EGL-Israel that he didn't produce in case you might know, or figure out pre-purchase, what a worthless piece of paper that is.)

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MollyMalone|1444716616|3937724 said:
* * * Is it possible to buy an un certified diamond and then get it certified and find out it's actually worth more than what you paid or does this never happen?
I'd say it's very unlikely that someone who sells diamonds for a living would be duped in that fashion. ;))
(I'll venture to say it's more probable that the stone had a report from EGL-Israel that he didn't produce in case you might know, or figure out pre-purchase, what a worthless piece of paper that is.)
Around a year ago Rapaport banned diamonds with EGL reports from their B2B trading network.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rapnet-bans-egl-reports-from-trading-network.205934/
Polygon, a smaller B2B service, did the same.

I'm in jewelry showrooms with regularity. EGL was always known to be soft; ludicrously so from some of the overseas locations. The Rap ban has stopped many jewelers from seeking those reports and caused some to fire-sale what they have, re-paper their EGL graded diamonds or, as Molly suggested, sell them on the diamond's merits with no paper.

As for value increasing when submitted: Yes and no. Labs are not totally consistent. Some results come back higher than expected. Some lower than expected. The way a diamantaire stays in business is by being more accurate than the lab in the long run - especially those who purchase rough and polish it pre-grading, but also those who buy/trade over the counter with no reports. The more accurate you are, personally, the better you'll do in the long run.

SouthLA, I'd suggest a professional appraiser. In case you want to qualify them to do all you want, it sounds like you desire the following components: (1) Standard color, clarity and fluorescence assessment - do you want clarity plotted? (2) 3D Sarin Scan for all cut information: Millemeter measurements + Table% + Depth% + Avg Crown & Pavilion angles + Avg Star and Lower half lengths + Crown Height + Pavilion Depth + Girdle thickness + Culet. (3) Polish and Symmetry assessment. (4) Estimate of GIA Cut Grade via Facetware (or Sarin plugin). (5) Estimate of AGS Performance Grade via AGS Proprietary Grading Software (licensed PGS eval). (6) Photos, including Ideal-Scope, ASET - what about clarity micrograph?

David Wolf, suggested above, is terrific. I'm not sure if he is a licensed AGS PGS user; you can ask him. Neil Beaty, who posts on the forum as DenverAppraiser, does long-distance work, meaning you send him the diamond. He is an AGS ICGA appraiser and does it all. Other resources have been suggested. When contacting potential appraisers I would suggest you use the menu I listed above, modified as you wish, as a checklist. Appraisers who do all of those things are rare but do exist and, from what I know, charge pretty modest fees for their thoroughness.

Let us know what you find out. It sounds fun.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
I guess as long as i'm happy with it, it doesn't matter, until I find out I got ripped off and then it will matter lol.

Is it possible to buy an un certified diamond and then get it certified and find out it's actually worth more than what you paid or does this never happen?

Sometimes ignorance is bliss and it's better to just leave it as be.

I think it's rare than an uncerted stone will be undervalued. Why would the cutter or dealer not get the stone certed and increase it's value significantly if they know it's a great diamond? Especially with a 2ct diamond. They'd be leaving thousands of dollars on the table.

Another reason to get it "certed" by GIA or AGS is for insurance purposes. A 2ct stone is nothing to sneeze at so I'd imagine you might want to get it insured.

You could post pics as well as people here might be able to comment on cut or appearance though you'd have to take it with a grain of salt.

southLA504

Rough_Rock
John Pollard|1444742727|3937787 said:
Around a year ago Rapaport banned diamonds with EGL reports from their B2B trading network.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rapnet-bans-egl-reports-from-trading-network.205934/

I'm in jewelry showrooms with regularity. EGL was always known to be soft; ludicrously so from some of the overseas locations. The Rap ban has stopped many jewelers from seeking those reports and caused some to fire-sale what they have, re-paper their EGL graded diamonds or, as Molly suggested, sell them on the diamond's merits with no paper.

As for value increasing when submitted: Yes and no. Labs are not totally consistent. Some results come back higher than expected. Some lower than expected. The way a diamantaire stays in business is by being more accurate than the lab in the long run - especially those who purchase rough and polish it pre-grading, but also those who buy/trade over the counter with no reports. The more accurate you are, personally, the better you'll do in the long run.

SouthLA, I'd suggest a professional appraiser. In case you want to qualify them to do all you want, it sounds like you desire the following components: (1) Standard color, clarity and fluorescence assessment - do you want clarity plotted? (2) 3D Sarin Scan for all cut information: Millemeter measurements + Table% + Depth% + Avg Crown & Pavilion angles + Avg Star and Lower half lengths + Crown Height + Pavilion Depth + Girdle thickness + Culet. (3) Polish and Symmetry assessment. (4) Estimate of GIA Cut Grade via Facetware (or Sarin plugin). (5) Estimate of AGS Performance Grade via AGS Proprietary Grading Software (licensed PGS eval). (6) Photos, including Ideal-Scope, ASET - what about clarity micrograph?

David Wolf, suggested above, is terrific. I'm not sure if he is a licensed AGS PGS user; you can ask him. Neil Beaty, who posts on the forum as DenverAppraiser, does long-distance work, meaning you send him the diamond. He is an AGS ICGA appraiser and does it all. Other resources have been suggested. When contacting potential appraisers I would suggest you use the menu I listed above, modified as you wish, as a checklist. Appraisers who do all of those things are rare but do exist and, from what I know, charge pretty modest fees for their thoroughness.

Thank you so much for your detailed response, I would love to find out how much it would charge to get DenverAppraiser to appraise it for me! How can I get in touch with him?

Thanks!

southLA504

Rough_Rock
southLA504|1444771064|3937953 said:
John Pollard|1444742727|3937787 said:

Thank you so much for your detailed response, I would love to find out how much it would charge to get DenverAppraiser to appraise it for me! How can I get in touch with him?

Thanks!

I agree with the ignorance is bliss comment.

Here are some pictures of the ring on my giant hand haha, 1 is in direct sunlight and 2 are not.

The GIA GG appraiser said 2.07 excellent cut J color SI2, the last picture of the 3 is prob the best to look at.

img_42851.jpg

img_42861.jpg

img_42871.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
southLA504|1444771348|3937956 said:

You're quite welcome.

Neil Beaty: American Gem Registry
http://www.americangemregistry.com/

Nice photos. If you want a thorough assessment it will have to come out of the setting, btw.

southLA504

Rough_Rock
John Pollard|1444771818|3937961 said:

You're quite welcome.

Nice photos. If you want a thorough assessment it will have to come out of the setting, btw.

Thank you!

And as for Neil, all I can say it he took the time to talk to me for around 30 minutes on the phone giving me his honest opinion on things that should be done and even recommended me sending the stone to GIA to get it certified when he could have simply said send it to me instead. Great guy, and helped me a ton! Took time that he didn't have to, to help me and answer every single question I had and he didn't rush me off the phone once.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
southLA504|1444851291|3938265 said:

You're quite welcome.

Thank you!

And as for Neil, all I can say it he took the time to talk to me for around 30 minutes on the phone giving me his honest opinion on things that should be done and even recommended me sending the stone to GIA to get it certified when he could have simply said send it to me instead. Great guy, and helped me a ton! Took time that he didn't have to, to help me and answer every single question I had and he didn't rush me off the phone once.
Nobody here will be surprised to hear that! Not only is he generous with his time, he is super qualified and experienced.
Like the others in this thread who have given their time to provide helpful advice and commentary, this is a community that truly wants to help newcomers.

It's wonderful to be able to see this side of an industry that is often considered full of sharks. Which it also is, by the way. :|

southLA504

Rough_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1444862667|3938333 said:
southLA504|1444851291|3938265 said:

You're quite welcome.

Thank you!

Nobody here will be surprised to hear that! Not only is he generous with his time, he is super qualified and experienced.
Like the others in this thread who have given their time to provide helpful advice and commentary, this is a community that truly wants to help newcomers.

It's wonderful to be able to see this side of an industry that is often considered full of sharks. Which it also is, by the way. :|

agreed, great community here. And good to know you can get honest opinions here without the fear of being taken advantage of.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results