Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Another AVC opinion needed.

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
210
Hi everyone. I would love some opinions on the stone from other Pricescopers. I just put this AVC on hold today-

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8585/

It is my 20th anniversary today and my husband was really hoping I had picked out an upgrade diamond by now (he was hoping to propose all over again on our anniversary). I am an obsessive researcher however, and have spent countless hours (plus weeks and months) looking at all of my options. I am having a hard time making a decision, but given rising prices and the fact that our anniversary is here, I really want to make a choice. I fell in love with antique cushions once I found my way to the site and after drooling for days on end at all of the beautiful bling here on pricescope, I knew I wanted an old cut for my new ring. What do you guys think of this stone?
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
moosemom|1314239707|2998825 said:
Hi everyone. I would love some opinions on the stone from other Pricescopers. I just put this AVC on hold today-

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8585/

It is my 20th anniversary today and my husband was really hoping I had picked out an upgrade diamond by now (he was hoping to propose all over again on our anniversary). I am an obsessive researcher however, and have spent countless hours (plus weeks and months) looking at all of my options. I am having a hard time making a decision, but given rising prices and the fact that our anniversary is here, I really want to make a choice. I fell in love with antique cushions once I found my way to the site and after drooling for days on end at all of the beautiful bling here on pricescope, I knew I wanted an old cut for my new ring. What do you guys think of this stone?
it says it is purchased...did you buy it?
 

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
210
Not sure why it says that - I did just put it on hold, but it does say I purchased it. I double checked to make sure too. I requested a video to compare that stone with a few others in their inventory - hopefully that will be available in the next day or two. From what I understand I can hold it for three days.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
moosemom|1314240379|2998841 said:
Not sure why it says that - I did just put it on hold, but it does say I purchased it. I double checked to make sure too. I requested a video to compare that stone with a few others in their inventory - hopefully that will be available in the next day or two. From what I understand I can hold it for three days.
maybe it is just an error in the website...it also says it has 'beed purchased' instead of 'been purchased'

anyway I think it's gorgeous but you will likely notice some color. are you looking for a warmer stone?
 

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
210
I like warm stones. Seriously, I like all higher colored stones too ... but really I am not too sensitive to colors. I have been looking around at antique stones in estate jewelry stores and antique shops and warmth in an older cut looks fine to me. I guess it is just when I am about to shell out a lot of moolah I am obsessing over it. I am also looking at a I colored antique cushion with Perry/Leon and I am torn between the two. Here is a link to the other diamond ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQRWu4bC-Lc

This diamond seems beautiful too and it is a few color grades higher. I have to admit though, I am attacted to the optics of the AVC. My husband, who is an engineer, also loves the characteristics of the AVC, but he is not sure of the color. I am thinking of getting the stone set in the Sophia setting by Victor Canera and says he can match the sidestones to the color of the center stones. I think with this vintage looking setting, the warmer colored stone would look more appropriate - at least to my eye. If I went with the larger stone I would probably just have it set in a solitaire and add a band later. I may end up tossing a coin :)
 

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
2,975
moosemom|1314242739|2998875 said:
I like warm stones. Seriously, I like all higher colored stones too ... but really I am not too sensitive to colors. I have been looking around at antique stones in estate jewelry stores and antique shops and warmth in an older cut looks fine to me. I guess it is just when I am about to shell out a lot of moolah I am obsessing over it. I am also looking at a I colored antique cushion with Perry/Leon and I am torn between the two. Here is a link to the other diamond ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQRWu4bC-Lc

This diamond seems beautiful too and it is a few color grades higher. I have to admit though, I am attacted to the optics of the AVC. My husband, who is an engineer, also loves the characteristics of the AVC, but he is not sure of the color. I am thinking of getting the stone set in the Sophia setting by Victor Canera and says he can match the sidestones to the color of the center stones. I think with this vintage looking setting, the warmer colored stone would look more appropriate - at least to my eye. If I went with the larger stone I would probably just have it set in a solitaire and add a band later. I may end up tossing a coin :)
My M color Sophia set by Victor with matched sidestones is ridiculously white- there's something about that setting that's very flattering to lower colored antique cuts, much more so than melee. I'd go with the AVC, personally, they really do have excellent optics and look awesome even dirty. Which mine gets frequently!
 

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
387
Hi Moosemom

Both diamonds are very pretty and i can see why you are torn!

With the Leon diamond i can see something on the diamond-a possible inclusion which may or may not be visible to the naked eye (that would really bug me) so maybe check to verify if eye-clean and from how far away.

With the AVC I would check also because it is an SI1-just to be sure. I personally love SI1 stones, but they have to be totally eye-clean!

As far as color goes only you can answer that but I will tell you my story. I have an E, a G an I RBs and an M OEC, and did have an M AVC (which i traded in for the OEC) and I personally LOVE the warmer colors with the old cuts more than the RBs with "better" color. The warm color combined with the chunky facets that throw rainbows are gorgeous!!!! The AVC did show more body color that the OEC and it never was white-always vanilla with blue and green highlights.The OEC is different it can face up really white, sometimes creamy vanilla but mostly a very light antique lace color and it also throws rainbows. I loved the M AVC and of course I am crazy for my OEC. Each stone has its own unique personality. I did have an I AVC which was pretty but I really loved the M more.

Also-here is a link that has a beautiful L AVC set in a halo that I am crazy for! To me the color of the AVC together with that setting is perfection!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/were-engaged.164678/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/were-engaged.164678/[/URL]

Good luck, happy anniversary and I hope you love the diamond you choose.

edited to change link.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Verify that both stones are eyeclean to your standards. I think they're both gorgeous and you can't go wrong!
 

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
210
LGK - your beautiful ring is one of the reasons why I contacted VC in the first place. I just love your setting along with some of the other tapered french cut settings on Pricescope. I love the vintage look of your ring and the warmth of your stone seems perfect for the setting.

Kasey3 - Thanks for your story about your diamonds - it is good to hear other's experiences. I am glad you love your M OEC. The link you posted for the L AVC set in the halo is really pretty too. My husband noticed the same thing on the Leon stone as you did. Perry says it is eye clean, but I understand definitions of eye clean vary so I need to find out from what distance it is eye clean. Here is a still picture of the stone.

1-1.72%20I%20SI1-CUSHION%20perry.jpg

As for the AVC - Sarah said that if you stare at it very close (a couple inches) and turn the diamond a certain way you can pick up the inclusion, but otherwise it is eye clean.

I am leaning towards the AVC but the jury is still out.
 

renogirl

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
303
Congratulations on your anniversary!!! I think both diamonds are lovely, and you should get what you love.

I absolutely wanted an AVC and the Canera Sophia setting...Victor's work is flawless by the way - and the French cut sides are succulent! You can always have the AVC sent to you (you have to purchase) but there is a return period. It's worth it to see the diamond and make sure you love it before you have Victor create the setting around the diamond. That's what I did because paying to ship the diamond back would have been much cheaper than a trip to NY =) . I don't know what the other vendor's return policies are, but when spending that kind of money, you might want to see the stones in person before you decide.
 

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
210
Thank you Renogirl - your ring is beautiful and another one of rings I have been drooling over. I think I am going to have the AVC shipped to me so my husband and I can see what we think of the color in person. You are right - the cost of the shipping if I do not like it is a lot less than a trip to NY - although a trip to NY might be more fun and productive.

Not sure of the return policy of the Perry/Leon sourced stone - I think if I decide to go with that one it has to be more of a "trusting" the eye of the artist type of thing. I think I could do that with a diamond from Leon - my feeling is that he is an artist, very particular and I have a gut feeling he would only recommend a stone if it is beautiful. First step though I think is to see if I like the warmth of the L given that it is less expensive and has all of the added bonuses that an AVC cut gives.
 

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 11, 2008
Messages
723
slg47|1314241214|2998855 said:
moosemom|1314240379|2998841 said:
Not sure why it says that - I did just put it on hold, but it does say I purchased it. I double checked to make sure too. I requested a video to compare that stone with a few others in their inventory - hopefully that will be available in the next day or two. From what I understand I can hold it for three days.
maybe it is just an error in the website...it also says it has 'beed purchased' instead of 'been purchased'

anyway I think it's gorgeous but you will likely notice some color. are you looking for a warmer stone?

The "beed purchased" spelling has been there for years. :loopy: Think no one bother to tell them since we only care abt diamonds. Anyway, I noticed that this diamond has put on hold a few days ago, reappeared yesterday and now is "been purchased" again. It really is lovely that's way I was tracking it. :naughty: I've an L RB, creamy buttery in certain lightings, white in others. I'm not sure how L AVC look like in person but would love to own one to find out.
 

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
13,166
Happy anniversary!

I really don't think you can go wrong with your decision, here. Both of these stones are gorgeous. The pronounced Maltese Crosses in the AVCs really bothered me for a while, but now I find that I'm warming up to them. It sounds like you're going to have Jonathan send you the AVC so you can see it in person. I predict you are going to fall in LOVE!

I have an O/P OMB and I absolutely adore it. My original stone was an EGL G, so it was a bit of a jump down in color for me, and I couldn't be happier.
 

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
210
Thanks Haven ... and your ring is to just die for! Every time I have googled antique cushion diamonds in the past few weeks your beautiful ring shows up in images. I love watching the you tube video of it too. My husband thinks I am crazy - then again everytime I see him watching a you tube video on rock crawling with a Jeep I think he is nuts. We all gotta have our amusements though, right? It is good to hear that you have never regretted going to a warmer color. I kind of like the maltese cross, so I am looking forward to seeing that in person. I do so hope I like the color of the AVC. The other stone from Perry/Leon is just gorgeous too so if I do not like the L colored stone, and the other one is still available, then I don't think it is such a bad fall back position to have.
 

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
13,166
Oh, I agree--you definitely have a nice fall back option going on here!

I really think you are going to love the L color in your stone. I had no idea my stone was an O/P when I first saw it because it wasn't yet certified, so I think that had something to do with the way I interpreted its low color at first, but man oh man! I cannot tell you how much character it has! It looks different every time I move into a new lighting condition, and it's just a pure joy to look down and see which new personality she's flashing at the moment. I wouldn't trade her in for a higher colored stone that was otherwise identical, I really wouldn't.

I just googled "Antique cushion diamond" and it's pretty shocking that my ring shows up in Google images! Yikes! I have been having fun overloading those Youtube videos, though, that's for sure. See--these low stones are so fascinating, I'm not tired of looking at her yet!

I can't wait to see photos of your AVC!!!!

P.S. Who is your Moose child? My nickname is Moose, so when I first saw your name I thought "Mom? What are you doing on PS?" :cheeky:

ETA: Thank you for your kind words about my ring. ::)
 

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
210
Haven - it is good to hear you haven't got tired of looking at your beauty yet. To answer you question - Moose is my very small, but larger than life, tuxedo kitty given to me by my husband and daughters for my birthday a couple of years ago. He is only about 9 pounds but he swooped into our home and thinks he owns the place. My 90 pound Chocolate Lab Chopper especially loves him.

Emily's%20Classroom%20Pictures%20038.jpg
 

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 12, 2011
Messages
4,609
I love the picture of Chooper & Moose... oh yeah.. and I love your new stone... I can't wait to see it!!! :love:
 

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
13,166
Oh, Moose and Chopper are gorgeous! I love that picture. Thank you for sharing. We have kitites and pups in our house, and I love it when they cuddle up together.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the AVC once you get it. We'll need lots and lots of pictures here on PS to help you make your decision, of course. :devil: :bigsmile:
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top