shape
carat
color
clarity

An internet Dating Profile for Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK Ladies (and Gentleman); here''s your chance to directly address the issue.

Below is a typical profile that I have used (and many variations on this theme emphasizing this or that at times). I have tried other things from time to time - but always seem to return to this concept:

-------------------------

Looking for more than just a date…

The best relationship is when people share a common goal of helping each other fulfill and achieve the other person’s needs and dreams.

We each have our own personalities, desires, and innate sense of values. I’d like to find my match.

I''d like to find a gal with a sense of self worth, values, and independence - who understands that two working together can achieve far more than each of us working alone; and understands that we will have to work together to achieve our dreams and goals.

At the same time I understand that you are unique, and I''m not looking to crush your uniqueness. Instead, I believe that two unique people can support each other in common goals - and also do some independent things as well.

Do you want just a date or a fling - or do you want a meaningful life?

I''m looking for someone who wants to live...

Ps. You don’t have to be perfect; I’m not.

-------------------------------

Things I like to do: Read a book, Museums, Parks, & Light Hiking
------------------------------------

Before you jump in a few things about me that you may not know.

I wish my partner to be independent enough that they can make a variety of decisions on their own about routine things. Example: I do not need a phone call asking me what to do about a flat tire when they are 200 miles away.

I wish my partner to be independent enough that they don''t have to do everything I do and I don''t have to do everything they do. They will have some things they do (and an independent set of friends) I will have some things I do with my set of friends - and some things we will do together.

I do have a side business (which I would like to become my sole souce of income) - and they have to be open to the concept of having a business. Not necessarily active participation; but at least emotional and moral support.

I only added the cat allergy line later to some of my profiles due to the number of ladies who were contacting me that had cats. I do admit now that it probably made little difference in the results. (and for those who thinks I can somehow easily solve my allergy problems: My combined allergy medication cost is in the thousands of dollars a month range - I''m taking the best stuff there is out there that $$$$ can buy (the key product is genetically engineered)).

So how about it Ladies. What would be a more effective profile?

Perry

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to cut your post in half.
The second half starts with, "Before you jump in a few things..."

I realize the first half was the profile and the second part was you just talking to us but the second half was much better than the first.

Read them both again.
The second half feels real, while the first one feels fake, as if staged for the camera.

Make your profile real, like the second half.
Write as if you are talking.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the other thread, I said that you have to indicate to her that you have an interesting and fulfilling life, and you should come off as confident, manly, and genial. I don't see how you are doing this /at all./ You have two sentences about yourself: a very brief list of what you like to do and your business. Everything else is about what you're looking for. The only thing you need to say about what you're looking for is that you would like to eventually be in a LTR if the right woman comes along. The rest of your profile should be about you, namely, how INTERESTING and FABULOUS you are (without bragging.)

People are self interested, and when they're looking at a profile, they're asking, what does he have to offer me? Your profile doesn't answer that question. A profile should arouse someone's imagination, and a good profile should make someone say, "wow, I'm jealous of how much he's travelled/accomplished" or "wow, I would like to get to know him." I may sound like a broken record with the interesting and fabulous line, but it basically boils down to these very few concepts.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock

Alright Perry, there is alot of good information there, but it lacks fun. It reads like a resume. Please do not take offence, I am just trying to help. I understand at this point there isnt much fun left in it and really you just want to get to the meat and potatoes of the issue, but when reading that I feel like it is a little dry. I am not sure that I personally would be able to help since I do not know you personally. Just my opinion, but maybe you could use some humor in it. I also would not start with l"ooking for more than just one date". Perhaps you could describe what you are looking for in another which you touched on, but briefly. Then talk about things that you enjoy doing, again only a little bit was on this. I know that you are looking for something long term, but it still needs to seem new and fun and unknown. Perhaps you could state that you would like companionship and it would be great if it turned into something long lasting. Talk more about the fun stuff that will attract someone to the profile and get to the dreams values and goals once you have conversed. Now dont get me wrong I am not saying that it needs to read like a teenager, just a little less ho-hum. I know that you are capable and you are not just a fuddy duddy who is allergic of cats.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I would pass up your profile. Too negitive - for example - the car tire and don't call me from 200 miles away. That line just doesn't sit well with me. If you worded it like, "I'm looking for an amazing gal who even knows how to fix her own flat tire - afterall, if you're 200 miles away I don't think my legs would make it in time!" Says what you want, why you want it and in a positive, light way. Another example would be the cats. You sound so bitter about the cats. I would say, "I know that pets are an important part of many peoples lives. I, unfortunately, have such a bad allergy to cats that I simply cannot be around them and no amount of medications have helped me. Please know that if we become serious I will not be able to live in the same house with cats." Once again, positive, states the important part (allergy), that you've tried (medication) and the point at the end (no cats). I understand being supportive of goals (as I currently live with a selfish twit........) and the idea of having each other to lean on really catches my eye. Last, if it were my profile (I know it's not!), but I wouldn't put the blurb about date, fling, etc. I would say (once again this is me personally), "I can count all my regrets on one hand - each day, person and event in life is like an opportunity to learn and create my own adventures! I'm looking for somebody to laugh with, to grow with, to learn with and to dream with. Somebody who realizes that a relationship is not "starting your life". It's a yummy chocolate fudge coating on top of an already yummy brownie!
9.gif
"

-Sparkly Blonde-

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I can''t say that I''ve ever read a dating profile so take this for what it''s worth.

If I was looking to date someone, I''d look for LOTS of info about them to see if I thought they could be compatible. I wouldn''t want someone telling me what I should be. Additionally, if we have TONS of things in common, life goals, business, etc, but I can''t change a tire...I wouldn''t respond to your ad. I think you need less info of what you want because when you get too specific, a lot of women are immediately out of the running. And, what''s the worst that would happen if you were with a woman who couldn''t change a tire? You could either teach her or she could be a AAA member.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, SB, that bit about the date/fling thing vs. a meaningful life didn''t sit well with me, either. I thought to myself, "who are YOU to say that my life isn''t meaningful just because I''m still dating?"

Same with the "I''m looking for someone who wants to live." Perry, she should already be living and THRIVING (or at least, pretending to.)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ok to be brutally honest Perry, I stopped reading as soon as I got to "Before you jump in a few things about me that you may not know."

Here''s why:

1) Please don''t use the word gal. That already created a negative impression in my mind. If I were looking at men''s internet profiles, I don''t want to pursue anything with a guy who''s looking for a "gal." Sorry, this ain''t 1950. Times have changed. Capiche?

2) A lot of this seems awfully condescending. I feel like you''re talking down to people who are reading this.

3) I just went and read the last half - ok, I know what YOU want and what YOU need. So how does this benefit me, if I were someone looking for a match? I''m seeing a guy who is basically saying that he won''t support me because he expects me to be "independent" but I need to support HIM... hmm...double standard much? Frankly, that kind of relationship doesn''t appeal to me at all, and I have a hard time imagining the type of girl who would be attracted to and want to pursue something under these rather demanding, condescending conditions.

So I am going to suggest:

1) A total rewrite. Start over. Fresh slate.

2) As you start over on your profile, work on some of your own issues. That might help you create a better profile later.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

OK Ladies (and Gentleman); here's your chance to directly address the issue.

Below is a typical profile that I have used (and many variations on this theme emphasizing this or that at times). I have tried other things from time to time - but always seem to return to this concept:

-------------------------

Looking for more than just a date…

Well, all relationships start out with just a date, so omit. You can be specific if you are looking for a one night stand, but otherwise, it's a given.

The best relationship is when people share a common goal of helping each other fulfill and achieve the other person’s needs and dreams.

Yes, blah blah blah, of course they do. Omit.

We each have our own personalities, desires, and innate sense of values. I’d like to find my match.

Of course you have your own personalities, desires, and values. Blah blah blah. Omit.

I'd like to find a gal with a sense of self worth, values, and independence - who understands that two working together can achieve far more than each of us working alone; and understands that we will have to work together to achieve our dreams and goals.

No one looks for someone with no self worth, no values and a clinger. Everyone writes this. We need to come up with something more interesting. But what will be the key is writing a description about yourself that draws these women in.

At the same time I understand that you are unique, and I'm not looking to crush your uniqueness. Instead, I believe that two unique people can support each other in common goals - and also do some independent things as well.

Do you want just a date or a fling - or do you want a meaningful life?

Blah blah blippity blah! Delete!! Delete!!
I'm looking for someone who wants to live...

Yes, because everyone just wants to live dead lives.

Ps. You don’t have to be perfect; I’m not.

No one's perfect, but let's not draw it to the forefront of someone's attention, shall we?

------------------------------

Things I like to do: Read a book, Museums, Parks, & Light Hiking

What kinds of books? What do you do in parks? Talk walks? People watch?

------------------------------------
Before you jump in a few things about me that you may not know.

Um, yeah, hello, I don't know you at all. That's why I am reading your boring profile.
I wish my partner to be independent enough that they can make a variety of decisions on their own about routine things. Example: I do not need a phone call asking me what to do about a flat tire when they are 200 miles away.

i.e., don't bother me because I will not be there when you need me.
I wish my partner to be independent enough that they don't have to do everything I do and I don't have to do everything they do. They will have some things they do (and an independent set of friends) I will have some things I do with my set of friends - and some things we will do together.

Yawn.
I do have a side business (which I would like to become my sole souce of income) - and they have to be open to the concept of having a business. Not necessarily active participation; but at least emotional and moral support.

i.e. I have something that is going to occupy my mind and time and take me away from you. But I'd like to be a vacuum and suck the spirit out of you because I need emotional support.

Perry, no. This profile is no good. At all. I'll come back and rewrite when I get rid of this darned fever.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your profile essentially reeks of you, you and you. If I read that, my first thought would be to run. You come off very selfish - everything is about what YOU want. You seem to offer nothing in return.

Start by talking a little about yourself (who you are, what you love to do, expand on your hobbies and interests etc) and then talk about what you can offer in return (support, enjoy a life together etc). And don't mention the whole 'goal' thing - it isn't a performance review at work. Life isn't all about goals - it's about living a happy, fulfilled and content life.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You sound kinda...boring...

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To clear up a little confusion I created:

1) That very last part was not part of a profile (before you jump in part). It was additional information

2) I literally cut and pasted the rest from a previous profile (I have most of them stored as word documents). It was not something that I rewrote based on previous comments. So yes, I would already eliminate the word gal in a rewrite.

----------------

As far as the other comments - good stuff. Keep it comming.

Perry

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perry,
Your profile is all about YOU!!! You and what YOU want. Meaning it comes off as well,
it''s all about ME!!!

I had a friend like that, and all of us dropped her.

In reworking and re writing the profile, I hope you look deep inside. Don''t re write it if you aren''t willing to do some self improvement.

I have always stuck up for you, but now feel the ick factor..........

I won''t lie, am honest to a T. I don''t mean to sound mean. But gosh, you really are pushing it.

AND stop using the word Gal!!!!
20.gif

I do wish you all the best. Just want to see some BIG changes in attitude from you.

What you have been doing in the past obviously hasn''t worked well for you.

THE KIND members of PS have given you great advice.

TIME to listen...

Really...
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perry dear, you sound like a sleazy used car salesman.

Speak from the heart. Don't try to sound like a kleenex commercial.

Just be casual and honest about your loves about life, interests, activities, etc. And then state that you are looking for someone who is interested in the possibility of a long term relationship. PERIOD. Nothing is needed about dreams, emotions, etc. Just the facts. You have a side business and are looking to develop it. You'd love to have someone who is interested in that possibility. You'd love a woman who is intelligent, enjoys taking weekend trips, and is interested in living a full life. PERIOD.

I'm with TGal on what to cut too. No offense but I would roll my eyes at that profile and pass it right over. I know you don't mean to, but it sounds like a used car salesman with slicked back oily hair trying to woo a woman.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know Perry, I recently wrote a profile for my dad. He's gotten over 50 responses. The man is basically swimming in women.

I'd take these ladies' advice. In fact, I'd try to help you out more, but really, I don't know enough about you.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Yup, pretty much all of the above.

I think your profile should elaborate about you, but what you have now are quite a few vague thoughts. I think you should be specific: name a few books you enjoy, activities you like, places you enjoy visiting. You don''t have to tell her you have a personality; show her. And stating in your profile that you would like to be called if your significant other has a flat tire...
33.gif
Why would you even say that? Even if I called AAA on the road 200 miles away from and without the help of my sig-O, I''d still call him to tell him what what was going on. And I think he''d want me to call him too. Why wouldn''t you want to know?

I agree with BEG- a fresh slate sounds like a good idea.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perry: Try turning the tables around. Would you respond to an ad that told you nothing about the writer and talked just about the relationship they''re looking for?

I''m guessing not. At best, you''d find a more interesting ad to respond to. At worst, you''d think they were needy nothings looking for someone to make them "whole."

I have to admit that I don''t have any particular expertise where personal ads are concerned, but I did just finish reviewing 50+ job aps, and I suspect there are some similarities.
2.gif
To me the winning formula would be: teaser/attention getting opening line (because it''s a personal ad, not a job ap!), I am/about me, what I am looking for.

BTW I hope you have fun some fun with the ad-writing part.... I suspect that will come through to the people reading and considering the ad!

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Oops, Neat freak is on to something...but forgot the scuffed white patent shoes and plaid polyester slacks.

Tgal...is a genius. She got right to the heart and MEAT of the entire profile. Her delete or omit choice of instrution is not mine...mine is "Flush it, flush it all".

Perry, I have watched you post over the years and you are a great guy. And a great asset to this community. But that profile is not you. And it is not going to SALE anything...including a 77 Ford Pinto with an eight track tape.

We love you Perry...got your back...but please listen to these women who are your friends...delete the profile now.

I want you to come back to this thread with 10 things...POSITIVE things about you. I want 3 dishes or foods you love. If you had an all expenses paid 10 day vacation ...or cruise where are your stops and what will you most be excited about seeing? What is the first page you read if you still read newspapers...or if you get your news on the internet...what is the first category you go to...WHY? What is the fondest memory you have a child?

No we aren't going to add ALL of it...but snipets here and there...can make you rugged, or burly, or intellectual, sensitive but mainly INTERESTING. You express what you know about YOU by painting a picture using the depth of our language.

If your profile was printed on a book jacket, Perry, be honest, would you buy the book, would you read it? Let's make your profile...a page turner...Make me want to know more about you. Intrigue Perry...Make me open the book!

Lets turn Neatfreaks used car salesmen and TGALS rewrite/edit into who you really are! Use Frekes proven track record and technique. Perry, lets show that you are one heck of great guy...with depth, and character, and chapters of intrigue! If this is what we want... ---->
13.gif

then we...
9.gif
1.gif
41.gif
21.gif
12.gif
3.gif
4.gif
your posse are going to help you get there...just give us something to start with...THE LIST PERRY, the list!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
So after you dress up Perry so that no one will recognize his ideosyncracies online, what are the plans once he opens his mouth?

Perry blew off the suggestion that his views and expectations were quirky and demanding in a couple of sentences. Do you really think he is going to find a sensible woman who will overlook the reality that is Perry? Perry is in denial IMO.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 9:23:11 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
I''m seeing a guy who is basically saying that he won''t support me because he expects me to be ''independent'' but I need to support HIM... hmm...double standard much?
Ding ding ding

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 11:25:26 PM
Author: purrfectpear
So after you dress up Perry so that no one will recognize his ideosyncracies online, what are the plans once he opens his mouth?

Perry blew off the suggestion that his views and expectations were quirky and demanding in a couple of sentences. Do you really think he is going to find a sensible woman who will overlook the reality that is Perry? Perry is in denial IMO.
Well, yeah...but we don''t know what he''s like when he opens his mouth. How about we recommend he types at no one??

But because I like a good writing exercise, here you go Perry. I took the park theme in your original profile and ran with it.

----

Someone once told me that if you listen, everyone has something interesting to say.

And people do. I like to kick back in the park and people watch. Ever done that? Kids really do say the darndest things. Big serious conversations happen on park benches. You can always tell the ones who are newly dating too, because they are oblivious to all the stuff that I’m noticing in the park. And there’s always, always laughter at the park.

Lest you think I’m a homeless person who lives at the park, I do have a great job I like. I also have a side business which may be my primary line of work someday.

Inspired by those runners in the park, I also like being active. This doesn’t mean python biceps and ripped abs. It means a bit of a beer belly since I like to have one here and there after doing some hiking. If you have ripped abs, I don’t think I’m going to be able to keep up with you. Unless you dangle beer in front of me when I run. I take my incentives where I can.

Speaking of you, do you like comfortable silence? Do you like engrossing, non-stop conversation at cafes where we’ve had 5 cups of coffee and neither of us wants to go to the bathroom, even when we need to? Do you have bad days at work, but can tell me about it in a way that cracks me up and compels me to make you laugh more?

I’d like to hear what you have to say…see ya at the park.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGAL: you''re a genius. And, um, I think I got knocked up by your ad. Who do I see about child support?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 11:38:30 PM
Author: decodelighted
TGAL: you''re a genius. And, um, I think I got knocked up by your ad. Who do I see about child support?
Ha ha Deco...you do need me to write an ad for you? Knocked up mama seeks sugar daddy....

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 11:42:18 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Author: decodelighted\
TGAL: you're a genius. And, um, I think I got knocked up by your ad. Who do I see about child support?
Ha ha Deco...you do need me to write an ad for you? Knocked up mama seeks sugar daddy....
I could have used you years ago for sure but I did I somehow manage to find my own Sugar Daddy anyhoo -- and the turning point in that internet dating connection: the time I called him when my car broke down and not only did he offer to come help me out -- he arrived with a car he'd rented for me because he knew the rental place would be closed by the time we got back to it together. Supporting an immaculately conceived internet love child, however, might be beyond his generosity.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 11:35:29 PM

Well, yeah...but we don''t know what he''s like when he opens his mouth. How about we recommend he types at no one??

But because I like a good writing exercise, here you go Perry. I took the park theme in your original profile and ran with it.

----

Someone once told me that if you listen, everyone has something interesting to say.

And people do. I like to kick back in the park and people watch. Ever done that? Kids really do say the darndest things. Big serious conversations happen on park benches. You can always tell the ones who are newly dating too, because they are oblivious to all the stuff that I’m noticing in the park. And there’s always, always laughter at the park.

Lest you think I’m a homeless person who lives at the park, I do have a great job I like. I also have a side business which may be my primary line of work someday.

Inspired by those runners in the park, I also like being active. This doesn’t mean python biceps and ripped abs. It means a bit of a beer belly since I like to have one here and there after doing some hiking. If you have ripped abs, I don’t think I’m going to be able to keep up with you. Unless you dangle beer in front of me when I run. I take my incentives where I can.

Speaking of you, do you like comfortable silence? Do you like engrossing, non-stop conversation at cafes where we’ve had 5 cups of coffee and neither of us wants to go to the bathroom, even when we need to? Do you have bad days at work, but can tell me about it in a way that cracks me up and compels me to make you laugh more?

+1, so awesome TGal. Fever or not, you were spot on, as always!!!!
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 11:53:16 PM

Date: 2/23/2010 11:42:18 PM

I could have used you years ago for sure but I did I somehow manage to find my own Sugar Daddy anyhoo -- and the turning point in that internet dating connection: the time I called him when my car broke down and not only did he offer to come help me out -- he arrived with a car he''d rented for me because he knew the rental place would be closed by the time we got back to it together. Supporting an immaculately conceived internet love child, however, might be beyond his generosity.
Your man is handsome and a sweetie. But I guess a guy has his limits.

What about if I offered to paint the child purple?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
T Gal,

Fun to read, but...

I don't know that Perry is a beer drinker.

Also, not sure I get the idea. I do think a profile is something you have to do yourself. The alternative is like a ghost writer writing your bio, and what's the general point to that?

Maybe it works for some people, but...this is Perry...who found deep value in working concentratedly through What Color is my Parachute, and...having done so...found out what he really did want to do for livelihood. So, I don't think there's a point to taking on this task for him.

That said...the profile could/should reflect the person...possibly including his (or her) view. It may be Perry's view is that he's about what he wants in the other person.

But...I think the criticism's can be seen in an objective way, Perry. When you're in school, and you take an English class...your teacher does the good job of working to direct you to improve your writing. Despite where you are motivated to go...I think the suggestions you've received here, Perry, are clearly spoken. Your mind has directed your view to "one end of the stick," and your friends here are directing you to look at the other end of the stick. There is no misdirection there. It is just one stick, and since it is your profile, the stick is you. I think you are correctly being directed to describe yourself...more.

Regards,

P.S. Hope the fever is gone....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 11:56:44 PM
Author: Regular Guy
T Gal,

Fun to read, but...

I don''t know that Perry is a beer drinker.

Also, not sure I get the idea. I do think a profile is something you have to do yourself. The alternative is like a ghost writer writing your bio, and what''s the general point to that?

Maybe it works for some people, but...this is Perry...who found deep value in working concentratedly through What Color is my Parachute, and...having done so...found out what he really did want to do for livelihood. So, I don''t think there''s a point to taking on this task for him.

That said...the profile could/should reflect the person...possibly including his (or her) view. It may be Perry''s view is that he''s about what he wants in the other person.

But...I think the criticism''s can be seen in an objective way, Perry. When you''re in school, and you take an English class...your teacher does the good job of working to direct you to improve your writing. Despite where you are motivated to go...I think the suggestions you''ve received here, Perry, are clearly spoken. Your mind has directed your view to ''one end of the stick,'' and your friends here are directing you to look at the other end of the stick. There is no misdirection there. It is just one stick, and since it is your profile, the stick is you. I think you are correctly being directed to describe yourself...more.

Regards,
Ira, I have no idea if he beer drinks or watches people at the park. He may stalk people at the park for all I know. My point is, if he is going to insist on keeping with online dating, he needs to write something more interesting.

I''m not suggesting he use the one I wrote, btw. I like writing as a hobby so I did one as an example. So I think ya missed what I''m sayin''...
2.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 11:35:29 PM

----

T-Gal -

this makes perry sound warm and friendly, funny, sharp and quick witted, like someone who can encapsulate what they want to say...and deliver it cleanly and directly. he sounds confident, ''on it'', and as tho he knows where he''s going. in other words...

he sounds like you. (which is probably why you''re happily married - and perry, not so much)

perry - the thing about writing one''s profile is that it *does* reveal who we are. if you feel your write-up reflects who you are, then leave it. while a few suggestions are fine, be careful that it still sounds the way you''re going to sound when you meet whoever responds...in real life.

good luck in finding someone special :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TG...can you please help me with my resume ?? i''m looking for a "SUGAR MAMA"
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results