shape
carat
color
clarity

An educated consumer...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
is a shady diamond's seller's worst nightmare!!! I would like to thank everyone on this site for all the help they have given us in our search for an engagment ring diamond. Yesterday, my boyfriend and I went looking for engagment rings at several places, one being a jewelry exchange. I cannot begin to tell you how some of the vendors tried to fib to me and then got completely turned off and upset when I called them on it- thanks to the knowledge I aquired here. One man told me that all SI1 and SI2 diamonds are eye-clean. I know that may be the case in some, but not all SI diamonds. I told him that, he said that was false. He showed me an SI1. I was able to find the inclusions on it, just by looking at it. He told me "NO way". I pointed out to him where I saw them, her took his loop, saw them too! Needless to say my boyfriend was impressed! Others told me good symmetry and good polish is the highest rating for them. Others told me that there was no cut above very good. The list goes on. It was great knowing that I have the knowledge to not be taken advantage of. Thanks!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good for you!!

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
In my (limited) experience I have seen that most of the salespeople truly just didn't know what they are talking about. It may not be that they are necessarily trying to rip you off, but in being uneducated they misrepresent false information as fact. In my opinion, this is actually much worse than a dishonest jeweler because they actually think they are trying to help you...

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2007 10:31:11 AM
Author: the other Jake
In my (limited) experience I have seen that most of the salespeople truly just didn''t know what they are talking about. It may not be that they are necessarily trying to rip you off, but in being uneducated they misrepresent false information as fact. In my opinion, this is actually much worse than a dishonest jeweler because they actually think they are trying to help you...
I''ve said this a few times before on this forum but I believe it''s still a reality. The emphasis is on "making the sale"
more than "educating the sales associates." This is particularly true of the major chains where employee turnover is high and
there are more part-timers than true career people. Also, there are very limited resources to send corporate trainers to the stores.
Most companies expect the store managers to educate and train but they''re so consumed with "doing their numbers" that education
takes a back seat. You''ll find better educated jewelers, in many cases, at the local level. The family owned "Mom and Pop" stores take
their business seriously and do a better job of educating their sales associates.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it''s a shame that some salespeople are so uniformed. That said it was at a "Mom and Pop" store that a female salesperson told me "not to concern myself with all the numbers" she just didn''t want to give me the stats. Was willing to spend time with me but didn''t think I needed to fill my little head with all that technical stuff. Went back another time and a guy gave me the info I wanted and answered my questions. If I''d bought that stone it would have been from him.

So sometimes it just depends on which salesperson you get at a store. Too bad really.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results