shape
carat
color
clarity

An alternative to the Tiffany Legacy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TFurgeson

Rough_Rock
I am looking for an engagment ring. I know my GF really likes the Tiffany Legacy ring, but unfortunatly there are none in my price range currently available. I am guessing this is because they sold a lot during the holidays and because V-day is coming up. I found a similar ring at Ben Bridge that is a 1 carat princess cut, with 3/8 carat in halo and side diamonds. I don;t remember the other specs for the ring because they really don''t mean much to me, but I have been to view it and I really like it. It actually looks better in person than in the pictures. (below) Here are my questions;

1) Do you think this is a good alternative to the Legacy? I don''t know much about rings or diamonds, so I guess I just want reassurance that the two are similar, ie someone that likes the Legacy would also like this ring?

2) The ring is priced at $7k, but they also sell the setting for $2,500 w/o the center stone. They told me I could go up to 1.5 carat for the center. Would it be wise to buy the Ben Bridge setting and get a slighlty larger center stone, from Blue Nile or somewhere similar, and possibly save a little money? If I bought a center stone seperately would it have to be a princess cut? Would it look strange if I used a cushion cut diamond?

If anyone has this ring please tell me what you think of it. Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
10501138.gif

10501138_1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty.

I believe the Legacy is bezel set, not prong set. A minor detail, but it does give a different feel.

The Legacy is my favorite cushion setting.

TFurgeson

Rough_Rock
You''re right and I definitley prefer the Legacy for that reason. But I''ve had a hard time finding something similar and this is the closest I can find in my price range. I''ve thought about having a custom ring made, but how long does that usually take? A few weeks? A month? Has anyone here commissioned something similar?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/6/2007 2:45:37 AM
Author:TFurgeson
I am looking for an engagment ring. I know my GF really likes the Tiffany Legacy ring, but unfortunatly there are none in my price range currently available. I am guessing this is because they sold a lot during the holidays and because V-day is coming up. I found a similar ring at Ben Bridge that is a 1 carat princess cut, with 3/8 carat in halo and side diamonds. I don;t remember the other specs for the ring because they really don''t mean much to me, but I have been to view it and I really like it. It actually looks better in person than in the pictures. (below) Here are my questions;

1) Do you think this is a good alternative to the Legacy? I don''t know much about rings or diamonds, so I guess I just want reassurance that the two are similar, ie someone that likes the Legacy would also like this ring? The Princess cut is an opposite of the Legacy cushion in all respects. The Legacy is a rounded soft shape vs. the Princess is a sharp square, the princess is cut for maximum fire and light return vs. the Legacy for its subtle appearance.

2) The ring is priced at $7k, but they also sell the setting for $2,500 w/o the center stone. They told me I could go up to 1.5 carat for the center. Would it be wise to buy the Ben Bridge setting and get a slighlty larger center stone, from Blue Nile or somewhere similar, and possibly save a little money? If I bought a center stone seperately would it have to be a princess cut? Would it look strange if I used a cushion cut diamond? i am certain you can find a jeweler who can produce a mounting to complement a cushion shape instead of a princess cut. But take into consideration that the appearance of the diamond will look significatly different, after all, the Legacy is a patented cut that is only available at Tiffany''s, and its appearance is different from the Cushion shapes on the market.

If anyone has this ring please tell me what you think of it. Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
10501138.gif

10501138_1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dunno. This is for LIFE. And the only reason you''re not getting the Legacy is because they''re temporarily out of stock in the size you want?? Did they call all the stores in the US? How ''bout the world? When will they be back "in" stock -- it''s not uncommon to have to wait 6-8 weeks for a custom ring to be made ANYWAY. By that time, the Legacy''s might be back. Maybe you can order one in the size you want.

If it were me, and I was hoping for/expecting a Legacy -- I would be pretty dissapointed they were just "out of stock" when you wanted to propose.
15.gif

I WOULD NOT say it''s a safe bet that someone who likes the Legacy would want a PRINCESS CUT in a halo from Ben Bridge.
14.gif
Very different looks/feels/quality. At least in my opinion.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with deco. If a gal is expecting the Legacy then that's what you should get her and I know Tiffany can get one in in the size you need. There are more reasonably priced Legacy *inspired* rings out there if SHE is open to that idea. You'd definitely be able to get a larger center stone for you $. Pearlmans has this one with a radiant center stone which looks closer...

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/whisper-collection/rings/16WW1/0/

radiantlegacy1.png

TFurgeson

Rough_Rock
I should clarify that my GF does not EXPECT a legacy, I just know that she likes it and likes that style of ring. Someone from Tiffany has searched for me and they really don''t have any Legacy rings anywhere in the world in my price range. And apparently I cannot order one and they have no idea when more will be available. Anyway, thanks for the input.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, I''d definitely not buy from Tiffany, because you will get a much nicer center stone by buying elsewhere. I''d personally get Jonathan at Good Old Gold to find my cushion, and others have had success with cushions with Mark at Engagement Rings Direct. Then I''d look at all their available settings to see if there is one similar to the Legacy, and either could custom make a similar setting if necessary.

What is your budget for the ring?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you have a budget to go custom, I know both Goodoldgold and Mark T at engagementringsdirect have turned out some beautiful custom work and I think it's always a plus to get the stone and setting from the same place if possible..

londonblue had this Tiffany legacy inspired ring made and it turned out beautifully IMO..

halo_ering10.jpg

TFurgeson

Rough_Rock
I''d like to spend $6 to $10k. Tiffany actually had a legacy for less than 6, but it seemed a little to small for me. Another option I have contemplated is getting a smaller legacy for now and then upgrading to a larger stone later in life, but it seems that with a halo/bezel that may not be possible. Is that right?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What is the lowest price legacy that Tiffany''s have? In Diamonds?

TFurgeson

Rough_Rock
At the Tiffany''s I''ve been dealing with they have a 34 point VVS1, G, with 10 point side stones, for just over $5k. Which looked small to me, but maybe only because it''s displayed next to much larger ones.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
please oh please don''t buy diamonds on ebay. Do a search here, almost ALWAYS if it sounds to good to be true it is. IMO, only those who know what they are doing should even attempt to buy there and even then it''s iffy to me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually Vatche has one of the nicest Legacy ''inspired'' settings I''ve seen. And the price is reasonable too. The Princess Grace. When I asked the price Excel Diamonds qouted me around 2200 in platinum. I would totally get this ring if I wanted a Legacy style setting.

Vatche Princess Grace1.jpg

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I have a Tiffany''s Legacy "Inspired" ring and I LOVE IT!
Presently, there is a cushion cut diamond in mine...but I''m working on a little switcharoo in the near future...but my setting is Beeeautiful! I wouldn''t change a thing about it! It''s from ''European Jewelers'' in Canadia. (sorry about the size!)

Ring-profile-Net.jpg

thering.jpg

TFurgeson

Rough_Rock
Thank you all, I really appreciate your help, since I really have no idea what I am doing. However, someone from Tiffaney has located a few rings in my price range. One has a .47c center stone and another has a .72c center. Anyone here own or a least seen the legacy in those or similar sizes? How do they look?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
what size finger does your girlfriend have?

TFurgeson

Rough_Rock
Size 6 and fairly small hands.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 5:35:09 PM
Author: TFurgeson
Thank you all, I really appreciate your help, since I really have no idea what I am doing. However, someone from Tiffaney has located a few rings in my price range. One has a .47c center stone and another has a .72c center. Anyone here own or a least seen the legacy in those or similar sizes? How do they look?

here''s a thread full of under 1 carat diamonds. I''ll try to hunt down something similar and keep in mind the halo will make the ring/stone look bigger..

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PSA: nearly every guy considers his gf to be petite with small hands.

3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s Jessesgirl''s .87 stone with a halo..

ololo.JPG

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 12:55:32 PM
Author: TFurgeson
I'd like to spend $6 to $10k. Tiffany actually had a legacy for less than 6, but it seemed a little to small for me. Another option I have contemplated is getting a smaller legacy for now and then upgrading to a larger stone later in life, but it seems that with a halo/bezel that may not be possible. Is that right?
You could do a trade-up with Tiffany itself. I believe their policy is that the new engagement ring must be at least double the price of the old. Also, they'll take a 10% cut off the original price.

If your girlfriend really likes the Legacy, she might be happy with a smaller one. That's how I ended up with my baby Lucida.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
ebay seller diamondsbylauren makes a lovely legacy type setting. their website is diamondsbylauren.com. the setting is gorgeous and VERY reasonably priced.

ekruse31

Rough_Rock
mrssalvo: Where did you get that ring from? its beautiful. Is londonblue the store name? i tried to find that ring on the web, but had no luck. can you tell me where to find it?

thank you

widget

Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results