shape
carat
color
clarity

Amethysts finally set

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
OK, so I bought two amethysts from Gary at Finewater gems.

0507.jpg 0432.jpg

My pictures don't do them justice.
ammiescam1.jpg ammiesphone3.jpg

Then I contacted a local jeweler/metal smith for settings. These are for my daughters whose birthday is today (or yesterday, depending on how you count it). I just gave him basic instructions (14ct gold, lacy basket), and here is the final product.
cropbothbestcolor.jpg croptrill2.jpg cropbothsides.jpg cropbothonrock.jpg

Since I didn't give him specific instructions on what to do, I didn't really know what to expect. I left it up to his artistic ability. They are a little chunkier than I thought they would be, but I like them. The 14ct white gold is not a matte finish, but it also isn't highly polished. I like that. They are less formal and more casual that way. My daughters should get them in the mail today. I hope they like them.

the jeweler's web site is http://www.gardnerfinejewelry.com/index.html

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I love them and I'm sure your daughters will too. I like the chunkiness.=)

kavnadoo

Rough_Rock
I'm sure your daughters will love them! Lovely pieces.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous!
the colors are amazing.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
They must be twins?

Lovely stones - Gary always does amazing work. And I love the pendants too! Any chance we'll get some neckshots?

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Yes, they are twins. They have both received notices from the post office that their packages have arrived and delivery was attempted. Guess we'll have to wait until Monday to hear their reactions.

Neck shots? I'll ask, but they may not comply. I didn't think to do it myself.

I'm not sure why some of my pictures make the gold so yellow. It's not that color at all, but it does look nice. In fact, when I saw the white gold for the first time, my first thought was that I should have just used silver. It would have saved lots of money. :naughty:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice choices for twins!
and remember: neck shots are mandatory!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love it!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stones, settings, and such a nice thing to do for your daughters - they absolutely will love them! :appl:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I really love these, and I'm sure your lucky daughters will as well! They look beautiful.

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
So pretty. :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are indeed lovely and I cannot imagine your daughters not loving them to bits. :appl:

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
They look great!!

mcmsinger

Rough_Rock
Very nice stones. Very good color. Very strong saturation. I'm sure she will like them. Good taste.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both lovely. And I readily admit that while I tend not to be a trillion lover, that one had me at hello!

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much, everybody! It's great to have your projects validated by the PS regulars. The daughter who has gotten hers says she loves it. She wasn't expecting it to be so big and was glad she chose a pendant instead of a ring.

The other daughter is busy in the lab working on a masters in winemaking at UC Davis and hasn't gone to the post office yet. She promised to go today.

The jeweler sent me some pictures last night that he took. They were good. One was a neck shot. (He must have used his wife as a model.) I probably shouldn't post those. If he puts pictures on his web site, I'll post the link.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Does the Namibian amethyst have both blue and red flashes? I think I see some blue in your pictures, I know that pictures are not always representative of real life.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious|1394037183|3627967 said:
Does the Namibian amethyst have both blue and red flashes? I think I see some blue in your pictures, I know that pictures are not always representative of real life.
IIRC, it had red flashes. Not much blue, although it looks blue in photos. IRL they both looked like grape jelly. I went back and forth over which one I liked better, but after they were set, the trillion won.

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Very different, and VERY pretty! I like the slightly matte look they have.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummy yummy! I am sure your other daughter will enjoy it immensely. I don't make wine but I would enjoy wearing it while drinking it! :)

estelle

Rough_Rock
Simply lovely. Very thoughtful gifts.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Great! Don't feel bad about the pictures. Amethyst is so hard to capture the color right. And it changes depending on which camera you use (Sony -> red; Canon -> blue).

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Love the settings and the stones. Congratulations on a great project.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results