shape
carat
color
clarity

Amethyst solitaire and question about two-toned metals

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I had a precision cut amethyst that I had Dan M set in a simple bezel style. I decided to go two-toned and bezel it in 14k yellow gold with the rest in silver. If gold weren't so crazy high right now I would have probably done the entire ring in YG. I got it today and it is really pretty! The only thing though is that I admit to feeling some disappointment in that I hardly see any contrast between the silver and the gold especially from the top down where it matters the most imo. It blends so much that I was thinking I should have just done all silver which would have saved some on the cost. :???:. You see the distinction most in the side view, and even then it's more evident in pics than irl.

My question to the group is, do you think the contrast will become more evident with wear as the metals tend to become less shiny over time?

I don't want to seem critical of the designer who did exactly what I asked him to do and the execution is great. I just didn't expect for the colors to look the same.

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
What an absolutely beautiful amethyst, I think that the loveliest I’ve ever seen. I think you’re right about the colours seeming more differentiated after a bit of the shine rubs off. Especially the silver will dull down fairly quickly. I think it a couple of months it will look quite different anc very striking.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
What an absolutely beautiful amethyst, I think that the loveliest I’ve ever seen. I think you’re right about the colours seeming more differentiated after a bit of the shine rubs off. Especially the silver will dull down fairly quickly. I think it a couple of months it will look quite different anc very striking.

Thank you! I am hoping that will happen. And yes I loved this gem; took a chance on a new-ish Etsy seller who also cuts them. It was more of a lighter lavender color which I loved.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that amethyst is amazing and it’s my birthstone too so I’m picky! Also love the design of the setting, sorry that you are a bit disappointed about the lack of contrast between the metals.

It is possible with a little patina on the silver that the contrast will be more evident, not totally sure though.

Do you mind sharing the Etsy shop you got the amethyst from?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that amethyst is amazing and it’s my birthstone too so I’m picky! Also love the design of the setting, sorry that you are a bit disappointed about the lack of contrast between the metals.

It is possible with a little patina on the silver that the contrast will be more evident, not totally sure though.

Do you mind sharing the Etsy shop you got the amethyst from?

No problem! It’s a AndrewsEnchantedGems: https://etsy.me/2YtWzGq

A while back I had posted a picture of the loose stone and the vendor stone in that thread about comparing your pictures to the vendor’s.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much! Beautiful stones, he has a 3.5 carat round amethyst that is SO pretty. I do not need to buy loose stones though, that is a rabbit hole ;-)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a precision cut amethyst that I had Dan M set in a simple bezel style. I decided to go two-toned and bezel it in 14k yellow gold with the rest in silver. If gold weren't so crazy high right now I would have probably done the entire ring in YG. I got it today and it is really pretty! The only thing though is that I admit to feeling some disappointment in that I hardly see any contrast between the silver and the gold especially from the top down where it matters the most imo. It blends so much that I was thinking I should have just done all silver which would have saved some on the cost. :???:. You see the distinction most in the side view, and even then it's more evident in pics than irl.

My question to the group is, do you think the contrast will become more evident with wear as the metals tend to become less shiny over time?

I don't want to seem critical of the designer who did exactly what I asked him to do and the execution is great. I just didn't expect for the colors to look the same.

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

Sterling silver? Yes you will see more patina over time if thats what you want. I have some issues with SS and have to opt for the more pure stuff. (I have a ring in SS that I gave to my niece as I could not wear it without getting a rash)

Your ring is very lovely!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Amethyst is really lovely, thanks for sharing! :kiss2:

With regard to the ring itself, would it be possible to redo the head, to have a wider metal-only halo in yellow gold, or even rose gold, to provide a better contrast that you sought?

DK =)2

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Sterling silver? Yes you will see more patina over time if thats what you want. I have some issues with SS and have to opt for the more pure stuff. (I have a ring in SS that I gave to my niece as I could not wear it without getting a rash)

Your ring is very lovely!

Thank you! Yes sterling. Luckily I don’t react to it.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The Amethyst is really lovely, thanks for sharing! :kiss2:

With regard to the ring itself, would it be possible to redo the head, to have a wider metal-only halo in yellow gold, or even rose gold, to provide a better contrast that you sought?

DK =)2

That would have been a good idea had I thought of it at the time haha. This was more of a budget project as amethyst isn’t an expensive stone so I don’t think it would be worth it for me to finance a re-do.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought an amethyst from that same vendor, thanks to you @Mreader ! Thanks !

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Sprinkles&Stones I remember you searching for a light colored asscher and I just saw that it was an amethyst you purchased so I’m guessing from this vendor. I really can’t wait to see it I love asscher cut stones.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

Its very pretty
i do prefer amethyst in white metal
But
sometimes i forget how stunning it looks in gold
I wonder if the gold will show up more in fifteen lighting ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

Side on the colour difference is more noticeable
I like DK's idea of redoing the head
but its a beautiful ring
that colour is TD4 !

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Stack the amethyst and tourmaline to free up a finger...lol! I hear you, hence I size up my rings.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the cut of your amethyst and the setting is perfect! Your family of rings is gorgeous! :love:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
@Sprinkles&Stones I remember you searching for a light colored asscher and I just saw that it was an amethyst you purchased so I’m guessing from this vendor. I really can’t wait to see it I love asscher cut stones.

Yes! I will definitely post a thread when I get it :)

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Could be just the pictures but from the top down it actually looks like the silver is picking up/reflecting your skin tone which makes the whole ring blend … I’m laughing because it’s actually because you have such a beautiful skin tone that this illusion is happening.
In some regards it almost looks reversed in the first two pics - like the band is rose gold and the bezel is white…. It’s not something I would worry about (actually the opposite -I really love trick of eye jewellery so this would just make me love it more). Its a stunning ring - you have lovely taste (and you have lovely hands).

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Could be just the pictures but from the top down it actually looks like the silver is picking up/reflecting your skin tone which makes the whole ring blend … I’m laughing because it’s actually because you have such a beautiful skin tone that this illusion is happening.
In some regards it almost looks reversed in the first two pics - like the band is rose gold and the bezel is white…. It’s not something I would worry about (actually the opposite -I really love trick of eye jewellery so this would just make me love it more). Its a stunning ring - you have lovely taste (and you have lovely hands).

Awww thank you!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring! Perfect stone, unique cut and elegant stylish design. You have great eye.

As glitterata and Beautiful-disaster have said, the metal is reflecting its surroundings. The bezel is being neutralized a bit by the purple stone and the sky. But it still subtly enhances the colour of the stone. The shank is being 'warmed' by your skin.

Reflections are tricky. A wider bezel may or may not have made a difference. You would hardly guess from the top view of this heliodor ring that the bezel is white gold while the shank is 18k yellow with white inserts.

I can't comment on dulling. But for sure, gold, even 18k yellow gold, isn't strongly yellow. It needs the right contrasts to make it look so.

Your ring is fabulous. Enjoy it.

HeliodorTopC.jpg HeliodorSideB.jpg

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I think your ring looks beautiful! The thin bezel is a thing of beauty because it gives the ring a delicate feel despite the size. If the yellow gold doesn’t pop enough, how about having Dan add some very small yellow gold beads on either side? Or even yellow gold chevrons? I imagine this wouldn’t require a reset?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I think your ring looks beautiful! The thin bezel is a thing of beauty because it gives the ring a delicate feel despite the size. If the yellow gold doesn’t pop enough, how about having Dan add some very small yellow gold beads on either side? Or even yellow gold chevrons? I imagine this wouldn’t require a reset?

Nah I'm loving it more everyday and less bothered by the blending. The more bothersome element of it was the extra cost when visually it doesn't look gold because hey, I can be cheap. :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results