shape
carat
color
clarity

Amazon Prime shows and other movies/series worth watching!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Amazon Prime shows and other movies/series worth watchin

redwood66|1487871781|4132619 said:
diamondseeker2006|1487548717|4130915 said:
My husband is a big fan of Man in the High Castle, but it's not for me. Will check out the others you mentioned, Missy!

I am watching all seasons of Downton Abbey now and love it! Another I may watch is Dr. Thorne which is by the creator of Downton Abbey. I have Poldark on my watchlist, redwood! I'll probably go over to Netflix and watch The Crown after DA is over, though.

I just watched Dr. Thorne and loved it. It is only 4 episodes long. Julian Fellowes wrote it based on a book written by Anthony Trollope. Might have to read his books. Mr. Fellowes does an intro and debrief for each episode.
Here is a review:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/03/04/doctor-thorne-review-fellowes-and-trollope-is-a-happy-marriage/

I love Ian McShane btw, we love the series Deadwood and he is an integral part. Beware though that series is chock full of bad language.

I have had Dr Thorne on my watchlist but haven't ever started it yet. I didn't realize it was based on a Trollope book. I've only read one but it was delightful.

siv1

Shiny_Rock

Another series I really liked was Mr Selfridge I seem to enjoy the PBS shows.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts|1487633434|4131407 said:
Braindead. It's HILARIOUS. Why is politics so polarized? Maybe it's because... alien bugs are eating our brains and controlling our actions! It has Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Aaron Tveit, Tony Shaloub, the grumpy old lawyer from The Good Wife, and more people you may recognize. And it's just one short season that wraps up at the end so you don't need to commit yourself to years of trying to watch all the episodes!

https://www.amazon.com/Insanity-Principle-Extremism-Threatening-Democracy/dp/B01H0KBH18/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487633163&sr=8-1&keywords=braindead

Distracts, THANK YOU for your recommendation of Braindead! We loved it! Hilarious and smart and yes zany but in the best possible way. And I am in love with the 2 main actors. Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Kyle Tveit. She is so smart and beautiful (I covet her hair her skin and her body) and he is so smart and charming and handsome and what a great couple. But I digress. My dh and I enjoyed this so much and also the fact that it had an ending! They did leave room to bring it back however and I sort of hope they do...or at least bring back these actors in another series. She reminds me of a young Maggie Gyllenhaal.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My dh and I almost finished an entertaining series-we have just one episode left and I'm saving it for a bit because I'll be sad when we are finished watching. Humans. Highly recommend! :appl:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Took a nostalgia trip and watched Terms of Endearment. I love Shirley MacLaine and Jack Nicholson. Oh the 80's dresses with all the frills!

I have Mercy Street and Justified in my watchlist. I bought the first Season of Victoria on DVD and like it very much.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Missy - I saw season one of Humans and thought it was great!

I just watched all of Showtime's drama Billions (I watched it on demand through directv, but I'm not sure if it's available on any other sites). It's only a few epis into season two so I'm just now current on it, and I'll definitely continue watching it. I really enjoy the characters; it's constantly full of moral dilemmas and it's kind of fun trying to decide who to "side" with.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Katharath, LOVED Billions! We saw the first season on Showtime and watching the current season on Showtime right now. So good. Yes ethical dilemmas all around and it is hard to know who the "good" guys are but I am siding with the orange hair fella. He's just so adorable yanno? :cheeky:

And I am glad you enjoyed Humans too! Do you have AMC? I found out season 2 of Humans is on AMC right now but we missed the first few episodes and I guess we can pay to watch those on Amazon but I hate throwing more money towards viewing TV lol. We have almost all the cable channels, Netflix, Amazon Prime and I hate paying $2.99 per episode of Humans season 2. We are TIVOing it now on AMC but I think we missed the first 4 episodes as I didn't realize the current season was on AMC.

We just binge-watched Z: The Beginning of Everything. LOVED it. Thank you Madelise for your recommendation! :appl:

Red, haha I don't think I will be able to convince my dh to watch Terms of Endearment again but it was a goodie. Thanks for your other suggestions too.

Siv, thanks for your recommendation. Will check it out.

Elizabeth, we loved Better off Ted. I didn't realize it is on Amazon. Will catch that again. Thank you.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

missy|1488806953|4137059 said:
Katharath, LOVED Billions! We saw the first season on Showtime and watching the current season on Showtime right now. So good. Yes ethical dilemmas all around and it is hard to know who the "good" guys are but I am siding with the orange hair fella. He's just so adorable yanno? :cheeky:

And I am glad you enjoyed Humans too! Do you have AMC? I found out season 2 of Humans is on AMC right now but we missed the first few episodes and I guess we can pay to watch those on Amazon but I hate throwing more money towards viewing TV lol. We have almost all the cable channels, Netflix, Amazon Prime and I hate paying $2.99 per episode of Humans season 2. We are TIVOing it now on AMC but I think we missed the first 4 episodes as I didn't realize the current season was on AMC.

We just binge-watched Z: The Beginning of Everything. LOVED it. Thank you Madelise for your recommendation! :appl:

Red, haha I don't think I will be able to convince my dh to watch Terms of Endearment again but it was a goodie. Thanks for your other suggestions too.

Elizabeth, we loved Better off Ted. I didn't realize it is on Amazon. Will catch that again. Thank you.

Missy - about Billions - yes, I generally always want Damian Lewis's character ("Axe") to prevail, even though he's the "bad" guy. I LOVE his character and also Wendy (Paul Giamatti's wife, can't think of her name). The only character I can't stand is Axe's wife, Lara. I hate it when she gets in between Axe and Wendy, even though she's his wife, lol. Which is kind of funny bc if it were real life, I'd probably side with Lara! Anyway...I *really* like the show.

About Humans - I do get AMC, but I didn't realize the new season was on, I'll have to see if I can get the epis on demand. Thanks for letting me know it was back!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

katharath said:

Missy - about Billions - yes, I generally always want Damian Lewis's character ("Axe") to prevail, even though he's the "bad" guy. I LOVE his character and also Wendy (Paul Giamatti's wife, can't think of her name). The only character I can't stand is Axe's wife, Lara. I hate it when she gets in between Axe and Wendy, even though she's his wife, lol. Which is kind of funny bc if it were real life, I'd probably side with Lara! Anyway...I *really* like the show.

About Humans - I do get AMC, but I didn't realize the new season was on, I'll have to see if I can get the epis on demand. Thanks for letting me know it was back!

OMG I hate Lara too. She seems like such a mean witch. But yes Axe all the way. He is so adorable when he is being ruthless. :cheeky: I cannot stand Paul Giamatti's character (but love Paul Giamatti!) but I agree that his wife is great. I just don't like his character. Rubs me the wrong way. Hence my rooting for Axe. 8-) The show is really entertaining. Watched the most recent episode last night. Wish we could save it up and binge watch but I have no self control lol. Glad you are enjoying it and Humans too!

katharath

Ideal_Rock

missy|1488920955|4137763 said:
katharath said:

OMG I hate Lara too. She seems like such a mean witch. But yes Axe all the way. He is so adorable when he is being ruthless. :cheeky: I cannot stand Paul Giamatti's character (but love Paul Giamatti!) but I agree that his wife is great. I just don't like his character. Rubs me the wrong way. Hence my rooting for Axe. 8-) The show is really entertaining. Watched the most recent episode last night. Wish we could save it up and binge watch but I have no self control lol. Glad you are enjoying it and Humans too!

Lol, it sounds like we pretty much feel exactly the same way about the show. I'm very happy to add it to my repertoire :). And on another topic, I'm so excited bc The Americans is back tonight!!! Do you watch that show?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

katharath|1488922174|4137771 said:
missy|1488920955|4137763 said:
katharath said:

Lol, it sounds like we pretty much feel exactly the same way about the show. I'm very happy to add it to my repertoire :). And on another topic, I'm so excited bc The Americans is back tonight!!! Do you watch that show?

Yes it is one of my dh's favorite shows. I enjoy it when it isn't being violent!

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Missy - (I'm just replying directly to avoid the big quote, lol). In my house, I'm the one who loves The Americans, while my DH kind of tolerates it :) It can be pretty violent though, so I hear you on that. That being said, one of the things I like about it is that it feels like the most realistic spy show I've ever seen. (I *love* La Femme Nikita and Alias, but The Americans feels the most like the real deal).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

katharath said:
Missy - (I'm just replying directly to avoid the big quote, lol). In my house, I'm the one who loves The Americans, while my DH kind of tolerates it :) It can be pretty violent though, so I hear you on that. That being said, one of the things I like about it is that it feels like the most realistic spy show I've ever seen. (I *love* La Femme Nikita and Alias, but The Americans feels the most like the real deal).

Yes I agree. And thanks for cleaning up the quotes LOL. Much better! Yes it feels realistic and I do enjoy the characters very much. I just hide my eyes when the violence is occurring. My dh looks out for me and makes sure to lower the volume or mute it during the violence and I just browse pretty bling during those short periods of time. Win win. :lol: 8) :halo:

katharath

Ideal_Rock

missy|1488923583|4137779 said:
katharath said:

Yes I agree. And thanks for cleaning up the quotes LOL. Much better! Yes it feels realistic and I do enjoy the characters very much. I just hide my eyes when the violence is occurring. My dh looks out for me and makes sure to lower the volume or mute it during the violence and I just browse pretty bling during those short periods of time. Win win. :lol: 8) :halo:

Lol, that sounds like a great plan for dealing with hard to watch scenes. Your DH sounds like a keeper ;-).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

katharath|1488924683|4137794 said:
katharath said:

Lol, that sounds like a great plan for dealing with hard to watch scenes. Your DH sounds like a keeper ;-).

Thank you Katharath and yours too! Just posting because I remembered another show we watch and enjoy. Not on Amazon but on cable. Homeland. Do you watch/like that show? Again my dh finds it more enjoyable than I do but I still enjoy it. Most of the time. Except for the violence. It is amazing how our country has no problem with violence yet nudity is verboten. Unless you are a female and then it is OK. But show the man's penis. Oh NOOOOOO. But yeah show blood and guts and all that gory gross stuff and that is A-OK. :knockout: We are a country desensitized to violence and afraid of nudity. But don't get me started. :doh:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay this isn't specifically amazon prime, but I don't see a 'tv shows' thread, so I'm adding it here lol.

"Making History" Part of the fox sunday lineup (with the simpsons, etc). ITS SO FUNNY. It has Leighton Meester (gossip girl) and Adam Pally (the mindy project, happy endings). Its about a guy (Pally) who works as a janitor/maintenance man in 2016, but has a time travel machine and travels back to the 1700s and uses his 'knowledge' of modern things to impress people. The first ep was the pilot, and I thought it was pretty good. I will continue watching it.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

missy|1488971590|4137963 said:
katharath|1488924683|4137794 said:
katharath said:

Thank you Katharath and yours too! Just posting because I remembered another show we watch and enjoy. Not on Amazon but on cable. Homeland. Do you watch/like that show? Again my dh finds it more enjoyable than I do but I still enjoy it. Most of the time. Except for the violence. It is amazing how our country has no problem with violence yet nudity is verboten. Unless you are a female and then it is OK. But show the man's penis. Oh NOOOOOO. But yeah show blood and guts and all that gory gross stuff and that is A-OK. :knockout: We are a country desensitized to violence and afraid of nudity. But don't get me started. :doh:

Ha! I almost mentioned Homeland to you yesterday too! Yes, I do like the show and I'm all caught up on it. I have to say though - I've been finding it difficult to watch this season bc of Quinn. I don't want to give away too much for people who may want to watch, but his poor character...I think it's heartbreaking.

I am completely with you on the nudity issue. That's one thing I like about the show Girls - I admire how they handle nudity.

(Oh and TY, yes my DH is a keeper too! :) )

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89|1488991570|4138027 said:
Okay this isn't specifically amazon prime, but I don't see a 'tv shows' thread, so I'm adding it here lol.

"Making History" Part of the fox sunday lineup (with the simpsons, etc). ITS SO FUNNY. It has Leighton Meester (gossip girl) and Adam Pally (the mindy project, happy endings). Its about a guy (Pally) who works as a janitor/maintenance man in 2016, but has a time travel machine and travels back to the 1700s and uses his 'knowledge' of modern things to impress people. The first ep was the pilot, and I thought it was pretty good. I will continue watching it.

Thanks for that rec telephone and yes I was hoping people would add any shows here that they recommend. I included it in the title of the thread but I guess I didn't make it clear. I thought it would be good to have a thread where all recommendations for movies and series worth watching could go that aren't Netflix since we have the Netflix thread for those recommendations.

Katharath, I LOVE Girls. I love Lena Dunham so I might just love anything she does LOL but I really love her show. I think it is smart and funny and real and I love how she embraces her nudity and loves her body just as it is! She is amazing and so young. OMG I wish all young (heck women of all ages!) women could accept themselves that way.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock

The OA on Netflix is one of the most interesting series I've come upon in a while. It's not super intellectual or witty, but it's quite compelling.
Of course,my husband won't allow cable in our house, so all I have currently is British Netflix, but they've come out with some great series lately. I had Amazon UK prime, but I dropped it because I found I wasn't using it. Maybe I'll have to reinstate..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We just watched this movie the other night. Room. Good performances and good movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3170832/

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just watched the entire first season of Z - The Beginning of Everything last night and it was great! Thanks Missy. The episodes are short but good. I have not read anything about F. Scott Fitzgerald's life so this was interesting. Will have to read up to see if this is true to life.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just watched the entire first season of Z - The Beginning of Everything last night and it was great! Thanks Missy. The episodes are short but good. I have not read anything about F. Scott Fitzgerald's life so this was interesting. Will have to read up to see if this is true to life.

Hey Redwood you are very welcome and I am glad you are enjoying it. Madelise recommended it to me though it was already on my list of shows to see she moved it to the front of the line for me. I found the series entertaining and like you I knew nothing about their personal life. Fascinating. And the styles of that era- LOVE.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Redwood you are very welcome and I am glad you are enjoying it. Madelise recommended it to me though it was already on my list of shows to see she moved it to the front of the line for me. I found the series entertaining and like you I knew nothing about their personal life. Fascinating. And the styles of that era- LOVE.

The styles! Yes. And I actually liked Zelda's style choices rather than the stiff suit style the Bankheads tried to get her to wear!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hadn't heard of Mercy Street but have added to my watchlist! I have Zelda on my watchlist and am glad to hear it is good!

Just wanted to mention that I recently watched the classic Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and it was good. Then I watched Emma, and I really enjoyed that one! It'd been many years since I had read the books, so it was fun seeing the videos.

I added Lark Rise to Candleford to my watchlist as it has very high ratings (another period drama).

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I wanted to add that I got Amazon Prime for the 2 day shipping! I order from them all the time! The Prime videos are just a nice bonus!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have gotten through 2 episodes of "The Collection" and it seems like it will be pretty good. It is not what I was expecting at all though. Darker. The costumes are great.

A gripping family drama and entrepreneurial fable, set in a post-war Paris fashion house. It exposes the grit behind the glamour of a rising business, spearheaded by two clashing brothers. The atelier staff survived one war, but others loom; rivalries and romances pitting family against family, protégés against mentors, the past against the future.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5239494/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We found a delightful series (on HBO) that takes place in my neighborhood. Don't know how we missed it when it came out a few years ago but glad we discovered it now. Entertaining. "Bored to Death" on HBO GO. We binge watched the first season already and are on the 2nd season now with another 3rd season after that. Some episodes are better than others but all in all a very enjoyable series IMO.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
1. Outlander
2. Poldark
3. Emerald City

3 of my obsessions as of late

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watched the premier of 800 Words last night. It was good and has potential to be great. Not available free on Prime yet. Widower moves his two teenagers from Sydney to a remote town in New Zealand. In the premier the kids are devastated to leave Sydney, the house dad bought via the internet was misrepresented and is a dump, and the boat bringing their furniture and personal belongings sinks. It's funny and poignant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results