shape
carat
color
clarity

Amazing 3 carat ring from 1920''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We were in Tiburon today and I stopped at this store we found last time we visited..called Old Gold (not Good Old Gold..but plain regular Old Gold!), where they normally have a few unusual older pieces, and very cool modern mens bands. My purpose was to price out the mens wedding bands..but of course I found myself straying to their shop window where they put the really eye-catching diamond items. Last time we were there they had a 3+ carat old mine cut diamond in a beautiful filigree setting that I tried on. Too big!

Today they had a gorgeous 3 carat ring from the 1920''s by Shreve and Co. Of course I tried it on, this thing was massive but it sure was beautiful! The stone was a modern round brilliant according to the saleslady, though I thought that Old European cuts were still more prevalent around the 1920''s timeframe than the true modern rounds, but it sparkled amazingly. However, the setting was the true beauty. I''m a fan of old antique settings, and this one was stunning. The band was very slim, about 1mm with light filigree all the way around, and there were three small bead set diamonds on each side of the shoulders of the ring. The stone was being held in the old-fashioned basket head, with pave diamond work all the way around in a very subtle way. The ring felt very fragile and light in my hands.

The piece was amazing. The saleslady told me that they can replicate the setting for $5k because they could not die-strike the setting, but rather would have to do it all by hand. The last time we were in, we had a great conversation about die-struck molds with the owner of the store. Fun!

One of the things that I keep noticing is that many of the old pieces from around the 1920''s timeframe have very thin bands, 1mm seems to be the rule rather than the exception. I love thin bands so I like this style, but how is it that back then it was acceptable for a 3 carat stone to be held on a thin 1mm piece of platinum? Our jeweler advised us against anything less than 2mm when we discussed our ring design with him. This ring we saw is not the first one I have seen with such a thin and delicate band holding up a huge stone and it obviously has survived 80+ years of wear!

Anyhow I wish I had a picture of the ring, but I didn''t have my camera with me. However, it was a gorgeous piece, and it could be yours for $30k if you are interested. If you are ever in Tiburon I highly recommend this small store in the downtown area, they don''t have many items, but what they do have is very unique and definitely worth a try-on!
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was probably 3mm in 1920
1.gif

Actually platinum was very expensive compared to average wages then, and the styles of the day were thin and delicate.

It has usually been that white styles were thinner than yellow designs.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If the diamond was truly a Modern Round Brilliant Cut, then the ring was either a reproduction or the diamond had been replaced.

A 1920's ring would have a European Cut or Old European Cut in it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I wonder who would have owned such a large piece in the past.

When she said 1920's I thought old Euro cut but she said no. However, I wasn't really interested in scrutinizing the piece as I obviously had no intention of buying and didn't want to give her too hard of a time for no sale!
1.gif
I did comment that the table looked a little large and she said that it was due to the size of the 3c stone. I didn't ask for specs. But it was a stunner!

IMO the thin metal compliments the beauty of the stone, the setting does not detract in any way at all from the diamond. However I'd definitely be worried about knocking that thin 1mm baby on a corner somewhere and plink plink plink away goes the 3c stone!
errrr.gif

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Mara:
Do you mean Tiburon, California? Like you, I like antique rings with thin bands, and am looking for one to buy or have made. Whereas you didn't have a photo of the amazing ring you describe, can you provide any leads on places to look, either on the net, or to actually look in North American and Western Europe? Lastly, what style would you consider rings from the 1920s?

Thanks,
Goldenringlets

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Golden..yes Tiburon CA....some popular early 1900 styles would be reminiscent of mostly platinum, some filigree, basket filigreed heads, thin bands (sometimes) or filigreed bands. Almost similar to the Tacori modern styles that they have as replicas but more delicate feel. It's not JUST 1920's style necessarily, but alot of the rings that I have seen that I like were around that period in time....early 1900's in general. There are other types of jewelry around this time..but of course all the ones I like look almost the same!
1.gif

If you are in N. CA ..there is an amazing antique jewelry store in Carmel, CA...called Fortuane's Jewelers on the main street in downtown. I adore this store, we go there every time we are in Carmel and I just try on ring after ring after ring. They have some real antiques and some replicas, and their stuff is amazing. They even carry watches, all types of stones, and other items.

Check out www.faycullen.com for some beautiful early 1900s style replicas...

1.gif

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Dear Mara:
Excellent tip - I live in Europe but am coming to California for Thanksgiving. When growing up, my grandparents lived in Carmel, so I know it well! Now, I don't suppose you know any great shops in So Cal? (that's where the Turkey's being served....)

GoldenRinglets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results