shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I the only person to have a bad James Allen Experience?

Geremy

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

I've been lurking of price-scope for about 6 months looking to buy my engagement ring. Learning about diamonds, settings, cut clarity etc.

Most of my friends have purchased from Blue Nile and have been very happy and even though there seems to be some negative experience around, I was pretty much set on but a 1.1 - 1.2 VS1-VVS1 H-E coloured round Excellent cut.

Last month my boss sees me on Blue Nile and immediately goes into detail about his fabulous experience at James Allen dot com.

I do my research, here in particular, seems that the stones, service etc are all better, so I add James Allen to my "Watch List".

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. My girlfreind has decided to take a 3 month work program in Cambodia, she Leaved on the Third of August.

The diamond search picks up intensity and I finally settle on this:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=5146958070

From James Allen.

They Didnt really have the setting I wanted, so I enquired about the stone and requested a gemologist inspection.

I immediate get back this great response:

Thank you so much for your diamond inquiry, and it's my pleasure to answer your questions about the diamond you selected (380471) This 1.21 G Internally Flawless Round Brilliant is a gorgeous option. The brilliance, brightness, and fire all appear to be spectacular. I know you had a particular concern about fluorescence and it's effect on the diamond's performance. In my experience as a gemologist, Medium Blue Fluorescence most likely will not have any negative impact on brilliance or the overall appeal of a diamond. Usually I can detect if there is any cloudiness or haziness just by looking at the 360 diamond video, and I am not seeing any visible impact. In fact, in G color diamonds, the Medium Blue fluorescence may actually improve the overall face-up color of the stone and make it seem whiter. We can have the diamond inspected by a gemologist but this will take about 3-5 business days, and I'm confident the results will be the same as my observations!

Sold. Completely. I ordered the diamond and asked about payment methods and delivery time.

Here is where I've obviously made a mistake.

I live and work in Australia. I have 3 business partners and we do business with a few larger companies operating out of NYC, Toronto and Manchester in the UK.

As such, my business partner is in new york until the 23rd of July. So I enquired if I could have the stone shipped to him or have it picked up. No problem according to JA, easy, they'll even ship it to Jersey to Avoid the 8.5% tax in NY.

Great.

I need is ASAP, can I pay with a credit card ? Yep, no problem assures the sales assistant.
Can I pay with my business partners credit card? Yep no problem assures the sales assistant.
So I have my business partner on the phone with me, give the credit card information, charge the card.
Anything else? No, thats all I need assures the sales assistant.

Great. Diamond purchased, picked up by partner next thursday, off to see a Jeweller about a setting.

4 Days later I get a "Request for Additional Information Order" from JA.

They want me to confirm Identity of cardholders email.

Confirmed mine and my business partners Email Address, Home Address, Mobile Phone numbers, Work email addresses.

They then asked for photocopies of Drivers Licence and Credit card of my partenr.

I sent them -> high resolution, both sides.

Time is ticking, I rang and checked what was going on twice.

Then this morning.

Good afternoon Geremy,

Unfortunately, we are unable to move forward with your purchase from JamesAllen.com. We provided the additional information you provided for verification to our review department and they have denied the fulfillment of the order. The Visa card has been authorized rather than charged and that authorization will be released. I would expect those funds to be available again in the next 3-5 days.

Best wishes,

Eileen Thomas

I have rung, spoke to multiple people, asked what the issue is, how it can be resolved, can I repay with cash, can I provide more information, anything. This is my engagement.

Nope. Order is cancelled we decline to tell you why.

Can I purchase again, in another way?

No explanation.

No reason, no explaination, nothing.

I am disgusted, offended and at this point unable to even organize another stone, because I am petrified of trying to buy a diamond online again. Our bank declines transactions regularly for fraud detection, they did not even blink at the 10k plus charge, what is it that James Allen needed? I would have provided anything they asked. Everything I did, I did at their recommendation??
If they had said, wire transfer was required, I would have done a wire transfer?
If they had said my partner could not pick it up I would have shipped it?

How can they in good conscience decline legal tender with no explanation?

Am I going to have the same problem at blue nile?

I'm lost. Not to mention even if I had the confidence to try and buy a similar stone on BN I can't even find one as good for a similar price.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Am I the only person to have a bad James Allen Experienc

I am so sorry, but we have read of problems with international orders before. James Allen generally is a better choice than BN due to having the videos of the diamonds. I don't think it is anything personal. It just has to do with whatever their parameters are for international sales.

Jim Allen often will come here and explain or intervene when there are problems. I am just not sure what they would be able to do in this situation.

Best of luck to you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just FYI, please come here before ordering another stone, because that one is not one we'd recommend for a few reasons. It is too deep and the crown angle is a bit too high for the pavilion angle.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have no idea how to resolve the situation with JA but the diamond you selected is too deep and would appear small for its weight. It's a blessing in disguise that it was rejected so that you can repurchase now instead of wasting time shipping to and back when you are on a tight timeline.

Geremy

Rough_Rock

Wow, thanks for the advice guys :)

If anyone could make a recommendation for a budget of 8-9k USD that would be amazing!

I know I'm probably being ridiculous, but I'm really set on VS1+ really eye-clean with a nice color.

That forms part of the frustration though. I would have gladly spend more with JA and or provided whatever they wanted and I'm treated like a criminal with no explanation or suggestions on how to not have this happen again.

Geremy

Rough_Rock

Also depending on other factors 1.2 carat+

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi!

Could be a good stone, but the crown angle is a bit steep at 36 degrees. For diamonds that have medium or strong blue fluorescence just verify that there are no negative affects like haziness or milkiness.

I think that if you want a really clean stone in terms of clarity you could definitely go with a VS1. VVS1 is a bit overkill and you will pay a premium for it. If it's a total must, then it's a must. But if you just want a nice, clean stone with no visible inclusions a VS1 (and even a VS2) will be perfect. That way more of your budget can go to size or color.

Here are some parameters to help you vet stones:

Table: 55-58%
Depth: 60-62.3%
Crown angle: 34-35 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.6-41 degrees

Geremy

Rough_Rock

So I should not be using HCA?

That stone

Selected: 62.5% depth, 53% table, 34° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish
HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003. - See more at: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca#sthash.GEYFOr8I.dpuf

Came out as

FactorGradeLight ReturnExcellentFireExcellentScintillationExcellentSpread
or diameter for weightVery GoodTotal Visual Performance0.9 - Excellent
within TIC range - See more at: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca#sthash.GEYFOr8I.dpuf

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Geremy said:
So I should not be using HCA?

That stone

Selected: 62.5% depth, 53% table, 34° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish
HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003. - See more at: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca#sthash.GEYFOr8I.dpuf

Came out as

FactorGradeLight ReturnExcellentFireExcellentScintillationExcellentSpread
or diameter for weightVery GoodTotal Visual Performance0.9 - Excellent
within TIC range - See more at: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca#sthash.GEYFOr8I.dpuf

Those numbers aren't the same as the ones in the GIA link you provided. :confused:

Geremy

Rough_Rock

Hah, whoops.

I'll keep looking. I have like 20 GIA reports open, should probably close some tabs.

Sorry!

Geremy

Rough_Rock

Thanks, I'll have a look :)

Looks like I might need to increase my budget to get something g/f in a 1.2+

Geremy

Rough_Rock

Is this better?
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=6202182578

http://www.bluenile.com/au/diamond-details/LD06094066

I'm still really frustrated.
I'm now even more annoyed.

The diamond JA won't sell me performs really well on the HCA.

For $8300 USD it is the perfect stone for me.

Selected: 62.9% depth, 55% table, 36° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle
HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003. - See more at: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca#sthash.OcP0EPsl.dpuf

Return - Excellent
Fire - Excellent
Scintillation - Very Good
Spread - Very GoodTotal
Visual Performance - 1.9 - Excellent

Ridiculous, there must be a way I can buy this diamond!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Geremy said:
Is this better?
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=<a<a href="tel:6202182578">6202182578</a>

http://www.bluenile.com/au/diamond-details/LD06094066

I'm still really frustrated.
I'm now even more annoyed.

The diamond JA won't sell me performs really well on the HCA.

For $8300 USD it is the perfect stone for me.

Selected: 62.9% depth, 55% table, 36° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle
HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003. - See more at: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca#sthash.OcP0EPsl.dpuf

Return - Excellent
Fire - Excellent
Scintillation - Very Good
Spread - Very GoodTotal
Visual Performance - 1.9 - Excellent

Ridiculous, there must be a way I can buy this diamond!

That BN stone is a bit deep so it will be hiding some weight in the depth and the crown angle is too steep.

The JA stone you're bummed about isn't a perfect stone. It's also deep with a steep crown angle.

The score of less than 2 on the HCA doesn't guarantee a well performing stone.

Try to find a diamond with the specs in the ranges I gave you. They are ideal proportions that increase your chance of a gorgeous well performing diamond.

Geremy

Rough_Rock

I will, thanks for your help mate, much appreciated :)

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

If you are set on the JA stone (even thou the numbers are not great) why not have someone else friend, family member try buying it, see if they have the same problem. Maybe the diamond was already sold and JA did not want to say. Strange if the money was in the bank why they would not sell it :wall:

Geremy

Rough_Rock

The story changes now, Apparently they dont even have a record of my name on the order. It looks like someone there changed the account name to my partners name on the card? So now they have no record of me on the order, yet i have an email trail from multiple people emailing me addressinge by name to my email address which is [email protected].

I'm just flabbergasted that so many people can have such a good experience, then this happens. James Allen from most sources I've read sets the standard for quality and customer service.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Geremy|1437554091|3905977 said:
The story changes now, Apparently they dont even have a record of my name on the order. It looks like someone there changed the account name to my partners name on the card? So now they have no record of me on the order, yet i have an email trail from multiple people emailing me addressinge by name to my email address which is [email protected].

I'm just flabbergasted that so many people can have such a good experience, then this happens. James Allen from most sources I've read sets the standard for quality and customer service.

I think many people had good experience with JA as it was a straightforward transaction. If they communicated with you and you paid with your own cc but asked for it shipped to your family/friend, that's still a common occurrence. But you had your partner paid first which was why JA was concerned. If you email their high up and clarify with them, I'm sure they will be helpful. I think you previously emailed people lower in the chain who couldn't make such decisions. These people have to follow their company's protocol. I can't remember the name of their boss but if you can get him and explain your unique situation, it should be fine.

Please look at diameter of well cut 1.1ct and 1.2ct. I suspect your deep JA stone has diameter more like 1.1ct. As such, the price is reflective of its cut. Your budget can buy you this 1.2ct that faces up like 1.1ct or it can buy a well cut 1.1ct.

Geremy

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the advice :)

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Geremy|1437566605|3906010 said:

The first link isn't working. No go for 2nd diamond - cut not good hence performance not good.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am an Aussie too. The issue is you are asking them to ship it to one person and to an address that does not line up with the name and address on your credit card so therefore they can't verify who you are. I have been through this myself, a lot of vendors will not take credit cards at all from international customers.

If it is a well known vendor I trust I always just wire them the cash, ask them if that would work. If not, Blue Nile has an Aussie branch too;

http://www.bluenile.com/au/

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am overseas as well (Europe). I normally use Paypal, which is fast, save and smooth. That might also be an option (if JA has it as a payment option) as wiring sometimes takes a while in my experience.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please stick only with vendors who provide images of the stones especially since you are out of the country. You were given some measurements to go by in an earlier post. Do not go greater than 62.3 in depth or the stone may appear smaller in diameter for its weight. I would not have bought that first stone. I do think it was to your advantage that order was cancelled.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

If time is getting short, maybe you need to be dealing with a vendor who already has the diamond in-house. Blue Nile is a drop shipper, and James Allen is also, to some extent. Not all stones shown on site are even in USA, as I recall. Some could be at the cutter or wholesaler overseas? (I just skimmed all these posts. I may have missed a few details. lol)

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Time is running out & you need to get a move on it. I'm not downplaying your negative experience, but rather, focusing on the bright side. You are looking for a diamond for your lady. ;))

I would check out either Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds (whom I think is having a VIP sale & so you might have to register on their site for this). Both have awesome trade up policies should you need that in future & both are in Texas which will help save you a bit of money on the taxes, & because they are out of state, you can have your package sent directly to you. I did a search from 1.1-1.3, F-G-H, VS-1 - VS-2. Your budget is a bit low for the super high colours & clarity. But like I mention, they each have great trade up policies (Whiteflash maybe a bit better than BGD but both are good). Do your calculations, go with your gut & pick one. You can't make a mistake.

I would also NOT omit a VS-2. They can & mostly are, eye clean. All these stones are extremely well cut & can buy with confidence.

WhiteFlash..

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/search.aspx

Brian Gavin..

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/brian-gavin-hearts-and-arrows/

All the best...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Victor Canera has a few diamonds in stock in his Ideal hearts and arrows signature line, that might work some in your price range some a bit higher, I have never had any issues dealing with him and I am sure he could sent the diamond to your friend or you could get someone to pick it up from him he is in CA if needed.

www.victorcanera.com

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results