shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I over analyzing??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
I need your opinions. As you know, my latest project is now trying to get my wedding band together (as well as my fiance''s) before we get in further with our wedding planning. As with everything else, you have to decide whats important & whats not. Well, the bands are important. Flowers die after all. And a diamond wedding band will "live" forever.
appl.gif

What I''m looking for: .15 to .20, VS-2 to SI-1, F-G. I had looked at both prices, very good cut versus ideal H&A cut.

NOW, my question is this, do you feel that a very good cut .20 (lets use that size as its probably the one I''m getting) is just as good as an ideal H&A cut of that same size? Would you realistically even notice it? Should I concentrate on VS-2 G, instead of SI-1 F? Yep, I''m a bit brain drained right now & should be in bed for my 2nd 12 hr shift but I''m up obsessing about this now.
eek.gif

The H&A (ACA, engraved & AGS certed) stone is about $110 more per stone than the .20 very good cut from another vendor.

The snob in me wants it, but the practical snob in me says go for the very good cut. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, what now??

Ice, can you email me your email addy. I''m interested in an Artcarved or Oro Diamonti band for my fiance. I have some questions. Naturally.
love.gif
I was talking to Jackie & she recommended I call you. I did try to email you but the email addy I had was wrong.

Judy
:)
ccuheartnurse @ yahoo.com

If I sound stunned, just email me & ask me what the heck I was trying to find out. haha

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Cut / Proportions seems to be important regardless of size so we'd be inclined to snatch that ACA... What's a hundred bucks over the course of time? Nothing. But that nagging feeling that you settled for a hundred bucks will nag at you forever.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps NiceIce is correct; but, from a practical viewpoint, once set (I assume in a low band setting) your eyes will not see a great visual difference.

I would choose not to spend the extra money; and, I'm pretty picky. Do get a well cut brilliant faceting melee though.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I doubt you'll see much difference, if any. The question is, how will you feel down the line?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You probably won't see THAT much difference...but it depends on what 'very good' cut means when placed against an ACA. We always hear about how ACA is not just an 'ideal', it's a SUPERIDEAL. What does that mean anyway?
2.gif

I am very 'particular' like you. I would spend the extra money (esp because I have become enamored with the pix of ACA's I've seen around here!!).

How many stones are going to be in the band? Are we talking something like 5? In which case you are only spending an extra $500-600 for the ACA's and IMO that's worth it. You also mentioned that flowers will die and the band lives forever. I would want to make it the best ring possible if you are alread sacrificing something in the wedding for the making of the ring. It sounds like it's pretty important to begin with, so go all the way!
1.gif

If you are feeling the hit on the $$, drop the clarity a bit and stay with G...get SI clarity, you will not see a difference in a .20c stone as long as it's eye clean. Plus then you can pick out inclusions with a loupe, WAY MORE FUN than a small VS stone. Hee Hee.

My two cents.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
ACA's symmetry is super-ideal, but did you try them on HCA?
The crown angle is often bigger than 34.5, and that with pavilion angle of 40.8, 40.9...
I prefer other branded or non-branded H&A's.
My 2 Eurocents...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stephan..since you mention it, what sort of effect does a steeper crown angle and pav around 40.8 etc have on a stone as opposed to an unbranded H&A with a more inline crown angle? What sort of differences do you see between the two stones?

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I find the stones with steep crown (more than 34.5) AND pavilion angles (more than 40.
4.gif
very white (white light return), but the scintillation (and perhaps even the fire and the life of the diamond) is (are) not the best.
A combination as 34.1 40.8 is better for my eyes, perhaps it depends on your taste, I don't know...
2.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
sorry 40
4.gif
is 40,8
2.gif

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Judy, what a predicament because you're at a crossroads. I think it would be cool to see a band that consisted of one diamond from each vendor, a sort of best of the best. Too bad you can't audition a band with ACA's and a band with good make stones. Good luck in your quest. Welcome safely back, btw!
wavey.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
Thank you for your opinions. The snob in me really likes the idea of the ACA stones. I'm actually going to give one store a chance to give me a quote for the stones locally. I know I'm a psycho but its rather amusing to see that they arent even coming close to the prices I'm finding in the U.S. Besides, its great to be able to show proof to my fiance that we have to take a special drive to Buffalo.
appl.gif

Tonysgeko,
Hello!! It has been a long time. I'm not around very often & I'm glad to see you're still hanging around too.
wavey.gif

Judy

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Huh. If ACA can get you something that's comparable to local non-ideal diamonds, then I think that's a lovely way to justify ACA!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You're right Hest. I did actually get an email today from a local vendor that a friend of mine got his bands from & the price for non-ideal was almost $800 MORE than the ACA H&A, certed & laser engraved by AGS. I know that cant be beat! When I told the fiance, all he could come up with was "oh". Yep, looks like a sale is in the future. He said
"do you really need that kind of quality for those tiny stones?" I was like, hell yes! I'm doing 95% of the wedding planning & decisions (he lives an hour away) so thats how I'm justifying it. haha Wrong or right, thats how it is.
naughty.gif

Stephan,
I dont have a problem with the crown being greater than 34.5, or pavilion being 40.8. My 1.55 is 35.0 & 40.8. I guess then the ACA's will match it beautifully. I know everyones eyes are different, but my stone shoots off chunks of colours that sometimes it freaks me out.

Mara,
You are correct girl! You get those ACAs for your band too. hahaha I have realized in the last week that yes, my band is very important to me. Many things about May 1st, 2004 will end once we leave the hall, but those bands (his & I) will be worn every day for decades (I hope).

Judy

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
CCUheartnurse....Judy

Whichever you decide to buy
Go for sparkle and for fire
One who works as hard as you
Deserves her hearts desire!
2.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
appl.gif
Heyjud !

Yes, Judy, ACA's are top-quality, and I think that they will look whiter than other brands. It's a question of what you like. I like shallow ideal cuts, but all my friends prefer my deeper ideal diamonds. Just a question of taste...
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results