Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I on solid ground?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dstudent

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a pair of diamonds for earrings (.80 ctw, F, VS2) with platinum backings for about $2,500. I did the requisite research, shopped around, and ultimately decided to go with a small jeweler/member of the GIA rather than a typical retail outlet. I did not ask whether the diamonds were certified but I assume they are not. He indicated that the cut was good (better than the russians are doing??). What does this mean? Am I on safe ground? Do you have suggestions for appraisal, etc.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi dstudent,

Basically, your merchant was trying to tell you that your diamonds are finely cut. Basically, russian cuts were
reputed to be a very good cut. I would still reccomend
having your stones appaised by an expert just to make sure.

Congrats!

Kirk

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
Basically, your merchant was trying to tell you that your diamonds are finely cut. Basically, russian cuts were
reputed to be a very good cut.
----------------
Of course this is assuming that the merchant was being straightforward about the diamond being "finely cut"... A short time ago a woman brought a pair of diamond earrings into us for appraisal, she had purchased them from a jeweler who told her that they were "very high quality" - they were I-2 in clarity and M-N in color... I guess "quality" is a term relative to the person using it. Get those puppies appraised by an independent GIA Graduate Gemologist so that you can rest easy.

dstudent

Rough_Rock
thanks for the feedback and tips . . . will get an appraisal just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.