shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I getting a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

m1155

Rough_Rock
I'm in the process of buying a diamond with the following specs -- but still have time to change my mind and get another stone.

1.70 ct round brilliant H&A, D color VVS2 clarity (nothing visible whatsoever under 10x), measurements 7.76-7.80 x 4.74 mm
GIA cert, depth 60.8%, table 56%, girdle thin-medium, no culet, med. blue fluor, symmetry VG, polish VG
Crown angle 34.6%
Pavillion angle 40.8%
This is a "DeBeers Milennium Diamond," which as far as I can tell just means that it's well-cut and comes with a fancy box. It may or may not warrant some sort of premium on the stone, would love to get opinions on that.

Price is $21600 -- about $12700 per ct. Is this fair? From Pricescope it looks like I could save a little money by buying off the internet, but I'm one of those old-fashioned people who insists on buying things like this in person.

For what it's worth I would ideally like to go slightly higher in size but there seem to be very few well-cut stones available in the 1.7 - 2.0 ct range -- I have seen tons that are subpar.

I don't know what the Millenium Diamonds sold for when they first came out so I don't know if this is a good price for that brand as sold in a brick and mortar store. Some dealers, I think, may be trying to get rid of old stock of these diamonds. Not sure.

It is possible that you could buy a similarly cut diamond that is unbranded or other-branded in a brick and mortar store and pay less.

----------------
On 7/26/2002 11:47:35 AM

1.70 ct round brilliant H&A, D color VVS2 clarity (nothing visible whatsoever under 10x), measurements 7.76-7.80 x 4.74 mm
GIA cert, depth 60.8%, table 56%, girdle thin-medium, no culet, med. blue fluor, symmetry VG, polish VG
Crown angle 34.6%
Pavillion angle 40.8%

Sound like a very nice stone. I would question the medium blue Fluor. on a D stone though (and I'm a self proclaimed Blue Fluor lover)

Price is $21600 -- about $12700 per ct. Is this fair?

Sounds high - but this is a very high quality stone.

I'm one of those old-fashioned people who insists on buying things like this in person.

I am also, but I think you may be able to have your cake and eat it too. Some e-diamond dealers will send a stone to a jewelry store for you to look at in the stone. If you are paying a premium for your stone, I would not settle on just one that is "in stock" in the jewelry store. They should bring ones in for you to look at. Also, a good jewelery store selling diamonds will also be on the trade nets - a great way for them to look for a specific stone.

For what it's worth I would ideally like to go slightly higher in size but there seem to be very few well-cut stones available in the 1.7 - 2.0 ct range -- I have seen tons that are subpar.

Have you thought about going to a stone of lesser color standard (like G) or of lesser clarity? No one looks at your stone under a scope. If you keep your %'s to ideal (with verification of crown angle, etc) You could expand your options w/ larger stones. Are you buying the stone solely for investment? ..or will it be mostly for wearing and enjoyment. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. This is just to wear and enjoy, not for investment. The store in question actually has brought in a number of stones for me to look at, and in fairness my preferences have changed a bit over the 2-3 weeks that I've been working with them. After checking out probably 10+ serious candidates this one, which is from their stock, ended up being the one I liked the most -- to their surprise and mine. I am willing to pay a little bit extra for that, just want to make sure it's not too bad a deal . . .

With regard to the fluoresence, I compared it against a E color stone with no fluoresence in bright sunlight and didn't see any difference -- certainly no oilyness/chalkiness/milkiness. It remained crystal clear, although I also didn't see any of the faint blue glow that I've sometimes heard described. Why does the fluoresence concern you more in a D color stone than it would in something else?

----------------
On 7/26/2002 8:51:49 PM

Why does the fluoresence concern you more in a D color stone than it would in something else?

You are probably asking the wrong person as I am a huge fan of Fluor. In the world of diamond dealing, Fluor on a colorless (DEF) stone is discounted. You will have to ask someone more experienced than me as to why - my guess would be it could conflict w/ the brightness of the stone. And, yes the concern is milky, oily stones. Did you take it out in sunlight - that is when you will notice it.

The reason I questioned your choice of such a high graded stone is personal. When we became engaged 20 years ago, quality was of utmost importance (and bought the great stone) It was about 3/4 ct. Most of my friends received 1 ct plus and it was a tad disheartening when people would ogle over their poor quality big stone. I remain steadfast w/ our decision and enjoy the stone reset on my left hand. But, fast forward 20 years, I went for the big stone of good quality. 3.02 ct - I (faces up to H w/ med. to,I think, strong Blue fluor. no milky or oily look in daylight) SI1 (eye clean- no feathers) of premium cut. ...just wanted to make sure you had the opportunity to weigh you options. Go with your personal preference.

good luck.
----------------

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP