shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I being too picky? Halo setting not flush...

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
I'd really appreciate some advice - my boyfriend and I are having a diamond set in a custom halo design loosely based on LM. We have already gone through one round of "revisions" as the stone was set way above the halo, which neither of us like (and we specifically requested it "flush" with the girdle of the stone). Now, after reworking it, we're being told that to move the stone further down to get it around the girdle, the whole setting would have to be remade :(( Also, that the diamond needs light and not to be buried for maximum sparkle. I know the second statement is a bunch of bologna as it is an excellently cut stone (my #1 criteria) and the four sides of the setting are open...

Please take a look and tell me if I'm being too picky/if this will bother me in-person? I realize it's hard to tell so blown-up and we don't have the option to see the ring in-person before final approval/payment...

HaloEnoughAlready11.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you also give us a headon shot also? From the side it doesnt look bad to me but if it looks like its bursting out
of the halo from the top well...I wouldnt be happy with that.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveMunkie said:
I'd really appreciate some advice - my boyfriend and I are having a diamond set in a custom halo design loosely based on LM. We have already gone through one round of "revisions" as the stone was set way above the halo, which neither of us like (and we specifically requested it "flush" with the girdle of the stone). Now, after reworking it, we're being told that to move the stone further down to get it around the girdle, the whole setting would have to be remade :(( Also, that the diamond needs light and not to be buried for maximum sparkle. I know the second statement is a bunch of bologna as it is an excellently cut stone (my #1 criteria) and the four sides of the setting are open...

Please take a look and tell me if I'm being too picky/if this will bother me in-person? I realize it's hard to tell so blown-up and we don't have the option to see the ring in-person before final approval/payment...

LoveMunkie - I'm not sure what you mean by girdle flush w/ the halo. Do you mean like bezel set stones, where the halo and the girdle are on exactly the same plane?

I am not a designer, but I don't see how they could put in prongs and have the girdle on the same plane as the halo like a bezel, and have no airline - the prongs take up a certain amount of space, and the diamond needs to sit inside the prongs (in cutouts called "seats) to be held in place. Which, in turn, necessitates either a large halo and an airline to accomodate the prong widths, or that the diamond sit slightly above a halo that is small enough that no airline is visible (smaller than the girdle diametre, I mean) and that the prongs come outward from the halo to hold the diamond...

haloflush.png

I do think they could've lowered the entire thing - so that the diamond is lower, culet closer to finger, certainly. It has been my experience that a well-cut stone will not demonstrably benefit from a very open setting, though certainly by the numbers an open pavilion can't hurt.

Not sure whether to bring this up, but since it's RT, not SMTR, and you're asking for opinions... that shank looks very, *very* thin - and it's riddled w/ holes to clean the melee. But thin, holey shank = asking for problems down the road w/ warping, going out of round, melee falling out because of the warping... [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/page-2[/URL]

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1302555555|2893505 said:
LoveMunkie said:
LoveMunkie - I'm not sure what you mean by girdle flush w/ the halo. Do you mean like bezel set stones, where the halo and the girdle are on exactly the same plane?

I do think they could've lowered the entire thing - so that the diamond is lower, culet closer to finger, certainly. It has been my experience that a well-cut stone will not demonstrably benefit from a very open setting, though certainly by the numbers an open pavilion can't hurt.

Not sure whether to bring this up, but since it's RT, not SMTR, and you're asking for opinions... that shank looks very, *very* thin - and it's riddled w/ holes to clean the melee. But thin, holey shank = asking for problems down the road w/ warping, going out of round, melee falling out because of the warping... [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/page-2[/URL]

Thanks Yssie! I don't mean a bezel but do know that I've seen a couple of halos where it seems to go "around" the girdle a little more but with prongs. I'm hoping this is just me being picky since it's already been adjusted once.

I do think you're right about sitting it lower, I was hoping the base of the basket would be more narrow as well as the entire head mounted closer to the band if that makes sense? I honestly don't know how thin the shank is, the jeweler is a close friend of my boyfriend's and while I've tried "offering" him as much knowledge as possible, I've only been able to get so far without going out and finding my own vendor to work with ;-) I'm hoping it will be okay for a while until I get get my "upgrade" and dream setting in a few years - this is a "good enough for now" ring. Plus, my boyfriend is in insurance so is going to take care of a very comprehensive coverage plan...

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Mayk! You're ring is one of the ones I drooled over deciding which way to go with my setting! That makes me feel a lot better about where it sits on the halo!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I think the whole top of the ring needs to be remade. There should be a very small doughnut at the base of the halo part so that a wedding band can sit relatively close to the e-ring. Here is a thread that shows how it should be made. I urge you to not settle because of the friendship. It needs to be done right. As a matter of fact, Frankie had Leon make her mother a ring that she was not satisfied with and then had Steven Kirsch remake the entire head with much more minor problems than this one has. I suggest you print out these pictures and show him how you want it to be. let him remake it. It is very bad publicity for him if you wear a ring that has problems anyway. And for future reference, don't let a friend make your ring unless your friend is someone like Leon, Steven, Doron, etc.!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-steven-kirsch-ring-project-prototype-t159127.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-steven-kirsch-ring-project-prototype-t159127.html[/URL]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll attach some of Frankie's photos from Steven Kirsch here so people can see the difference in the head/halo design.

frankie2c.JPG

frankie2b.JPG

frankie2.JPG

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes. I definitely wouldn't settle for a "good enough for now" ring, regardless of who's making it.

I agree with the others that you should have all of your concerns addressed before you pay for this setting. If your BF's friend cannot create the ring you desire, I think you should have someone else make it.

What does the designer say about the super thin shank and the huge donut?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My initial setting had a smaller halo. The larger halo definitely gives the illusion of a larger stone. I didn't like the stone up so far. I think I know nothing but I knew what I liked. And when it came back with a larger halo I was in love. :love:

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1302555555|2893505 said:
LoveMunkie said:

I am not a designer, but I don't see how they could put in prongs and have the girdle on the same plane as the halo like a bezel, and have no airline - the prongs take up a certain amount of space, and the diamond needs to sit inside the prongs (in cutouts called "seats) to be held in place. Which, in turn, necessitates either a large halo and an airline to accomodate the prong widths, or that the diamond sit slightly above a halo that is small enough that no airline is visible (smaller than the girdle diametre, I mean) and that the prongs come outward from the halo to hold the diamond...

haloflush.png

Yssie, had the right idea. The prongs have to go inside the halo cup a bit. The opening has to be made a hair smaller than the center stone so that you won't see the opening. The diamond ends up going to almost halfway the thickness of the prongs not just to their edge. Here's a pic to help you. The yellow color represents the diamond, the orange its opening.

HairLine.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Victor.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I am a rough rock. Actually very rough. It's a little like a "Internet Phd". Scary. But when I looked at settings for halos I noticed there were both high set stones and lower stones (not bezeled). Am I wrong to think it is a matter of preference. If the stone is excellent the stone is going to be beautiful in a bezel or set up in prongs. Or am I just wrong. It's ok to he wrong. That is how I learn. I looked at the Ritani website and their halo sets range from up high to lower set. I just know when my halo was a few stones larger and my stone was a little lower (hopefully less likely to get caught on things). I liked it. I also like bezels so maybe I am already swayed to a lower setting. I love their endless love three stone halo set. But these pictures might help you talk about what you like and want and also it never hurts to visit them in real life. I love putting on the big one and dreaming.

http://www.ritani.com/view_collection/masterwork

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I would not be happy with the ring. Other than the diamond placement, the halo isn't even in thickness. It just doesn't look well made with the fine craftmanship of what we see from Leon and others.

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! I'm so frustrated right now. I realized his friend wasn't who I wanted doing the setting for us from the beginning but my bf insisted that we did cause its his friend and to save money. Now, he wants to "get what he asked for" and I want to ask for our down payment back. I'm super picky and knew better, we just don't have a ton of $$$ right now so he thought this was a good compromise and I agreed against my better judgement...I'm so sick of arguing about it and being stresssed about it-I thought this was supposed to be fun!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am also a very picky person. I have been disappointed every time I tried to save a few bucks ... always end up spending more because I go back to what I wanted to begin with. I have learnt my lesson to just for it to begin with!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
LoveMunkie--I'm sorry you're so frustrated right now.

I have to agree with Charmy that the setting doesn't look well made. You mentioned earlier that you didn't think this would be your forever ring, so now I'm wondering if it might be best to have your BF's friend set your stone in a very simple setting (perhaps one that is cast so you'll know what quality you're getting) with plans to change the setting in the future and have someone else make it. Of course, this would only be something to do if you absolutely cannot get out of having your BF's friend make your ring, if he won't return your down-payment, for example.

The best solution might be to get out of this deal altogether, and take your stone to another jeweler--is that an option for you?

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
Haven|1302578171|2893827 said:

I have to agree with Charmy that the setting doesn't look well made. You mentioned earlier that you didn't think this would be your forever ring, so now I'm wondering if it might be best to have your BF's friend set your stone in a very simple setting (perhaps one that is cast so you'll know what quality you're getting) with plans to change the setting in the future and have someone else make it. Of course, this would only be something to do if you absolutely cannot get out of having your BF's friend make your ring, if he won't return your down-payment, for example.

The best solution might be to get out of this deal altogether, and take your stone to another jeweler--is that an option for you?

That's a GREAT idea Haven! I agree with both you and Charmy on the setting quality... Now for the confusing part: When we started this process, this stone with this setting is what we could afford. I agreed it was more important to get it "now" then to make the next price jump up to a 1.6-1.7 stone (this is an H, VS2, 1.35 cushion, 1:15 ratio)... Well, that was almost 6 months ago (long story). Now that we FINALLY have the ring done, and it's such an issue, I'm confused what to do!

My bf wants to let him try one more time to reset, I want to trade it ALL back to him (if he won't give us our $$$ back), add enough $$$ to our budget to get the stone I REALLY wanted (his friend was able to find us a nice stone with the criteria I gave him), and set it in a stock/cast setting for now until we can afford a custom setting we both like.

I've left it up to my boyfriend to decide, it's his relationship to deal with and I need to respect that... More drama to share shortly!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh boy,,, please cut ties with this jeweler/friend making your wedding ring... I know you said its YOUR BF's relationship, but you are invloved as well because it is YOUR ring that you have to live with. To keep this going is really asking for trouble and heartache and more $$$ that could go to something that you've been dreaming of.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveMunkie|1302627359|2894146 said:
Haven|1302578171|2893827 said:

That's a GREAT idea Haven! I agree with both you and Charmy on the setting quality... Now for the confusing part: When we started this process, this stone with this setting is what we could afford. I agreed it was more important to get it "now" then to make the next price jump up to a 1.6-1.7 stone (this is an H, VS2, 1.35 cushion, 1:15 ratio)... Well, that was almost 6 months ago (long story). Now that we FINALLY have the ring done, and it's such an issue, I'm confused what to do!

My bf wants to let him try one more time to reset, I want to trade it ALL back to him (if he won't give us our $$$ back), add enough $$$ to our budget to get the stone I REALLY wanted (his friend was able to find us a nice stone with the criteria I gave him), and set it in a stock/cast setting for now until we can afford a custom setting we both like.

I've left it up to my boyfriend to decide, it's his relationship to deal with and I need to respect that... More drama to share shortly!

Um. Your engagement ring is about YOU and YOUR BF, not BF and his friend. And he's dead set on throwing good money after bad, apparently..!

Get out before you're embroiled in an even bigger mess, before all this drama causes his relationship with his friend turns sour beyond repair, and before diamond prices double again if you're wanting to change your stone.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry your going though this. What makes it WORSE is when you were shopping 6 months ago prices hadn't increased like they have now :blackeye: If I were you (and you're able) use whatever funds you can't get back from him to get an AGS or GIA ideal cut stone and then get a simple setting that is inexpensive until you can afford a custom setting that is just what you want.

There's a saying on PS (can't remember how it goes) but it pretty much says that you're not supposed to use "friends" for for e-ring purchase. It's all fun and games (or so they think) until they realize they've spent a ton of $$$$ and didn't get what they want. THEN you have hard feelings involved bc you're "friends" but with the $$$ you would save going though them it's not worth the chance that they don't get it right (like in your case). I love the setting idea you chose but the setting does seem poorly made.

Just wondering...have you seen the beverly K halo setting? They are fairly reasonable in price (or at least were prior to the major price increase) and you can probably get one for under 2k or find an estate setting that is what you want and put your stone in there. If you are able to scrap the whole process you may want to check out. (You can see them at www.goodoldgold.com or though pearlmensjewelers)

www.jewelsbyericagrace.com they have a lot of beautiful halo style rings and can do any budget (and they also do custom work and can source you a stone). Just food for thought. Good luck!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Don't settle. If you're not happy about an aspect of your setting, it will only continue to bug you forever.

I learned my lesson the hard way. A family friend recommended her jeweler to design my ring. In the end, it didn't look enough like the setting I wanted, and I scrapped it for a new setting.

Another friend did my wedding band. As people here know, a stone fell out, and during the repair, my ring was bent out of shape and the diamond fell out AGAIN. The price I paid for the replacement stone was double what was charged to me from the vendor who created my new wedding band. My old band was completely scrapped b/c it was too bent out of shape to properly repair it (it became a football).

Find a different vendor whom you have no problems with making honest comments to. It's a little difficult to outright tell a friend that you're not happy with their work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, I'd print out those pictures I posted above and say that you want your ring to look exactly like that, and if the guy can't make it, then you will have to try someone else (like Steven Kirsch who made that ring). Honestly, looking at the pictures you provided, I do not think this person is able to do it. I surely wouldn't give him another penny. I'd rather have a plain solitaire than a poorly made halo. Good luck!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1302641556|2894367 said:
Seriously, I'd print out those pictures I posted above and say that you want your ring to look exactly like that, and if the guy can't make it, then you will have to try someone else (like Steven Kirsch who made that ring). Honestly, looking at the pictures you provided, I do not think this person is able to do it. I surely wouldn't give him another penny. I'd rather have a plain solitaire than a poorly made halo. Good luck!
Great idea. Will your BF's friend give you a refund of the deposit? If so, I'd do exactly as DS recommended, here.

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
Again, thank you everyone for your advice... If it weren't me involved with this whole thing, it would be a lot easier! :loopy:

With that being said, I am usually VERY direct/bossy with my boyfriend and for once, am trying to let him be part of the decision-making process since this is about him too after all (I know, I know, what a bad time to start, lol). He is also really laid back so it's been hard to light that fire under him to have "that" conversation with his friend until today. We have two options at this point:

1. The vendor says he didn't listen to us because he was really busy and being a friend he thought he "knew" what we wanted. now that we're putting our foot down and my bf has been clear we are not happy, he swears he can make us a ring based on the Steven Kirch photos above and also ones I found on Erica Grace that I love.

2. We can scrap the halo idea and set it in a simple stock setting for now and then re-set it if/when we want to down the road.

The issue is that I don't want to spend the money on a custom setting from another vendor for this stone (the setting his friend is doing is free), I'd rather put it toward getting a bigger diamond if it boils down to that. But if we do choose one of the two options, I already have an issue with the size of this stone so I'm scared it will really bother me without a halo. Either way, money is an issue now (it wasn't as much of one before) and so we either go with 1 of his 2 options, have him find us a bigger stone/set it stock, or cut all ties if he will actually give us our money back (we've already paid for 2/3rds of the stone)

If he will, it will be awhile before we can afford a bigger stone from a different vendor and neither one of us wants to wait much longer.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveMunkie|1302645801|2894424 said:
Again, thank you everyone for your advice... If it weren't me involved with this whole thing, it would be a lot easier! :loopy:

With that being said, I am usually VERY direct/bossy with my boyfriend and for once, am trying to let him be part of the decision-making process since this is about him too after all (I know, I know, what a bad time to start, lol). He is also really laid back so it's been hard to light that fire under him to have "that" conversation with his friend until today. We have two options at this point:

1. The vendor says he didn't listen to us because he was really busy and being a friend he thought he "knew" what we wanted. now that we're putting our foot down and my bf has been clear we are not happy, he swears he can make us a ring based on the Steven Kirch photos above and also ones I found on Erica Grace that I love.

2. We can scrap the halo idea and set it in a simple stock setting for now and then re-set it if/when we want to down the road.

The issue is that I don't want to spend the money on a custom setting from another vendor for this stone (the setting his friend is doing is free), I'd rather put it toward getting a bigger diamond if it boils down to that. But if we do choose one of the two options, I already have an issue with the size of this stone so I'm scared it will really bother me without a halo. Either way, money is an issue now (it wasn't as much of one before) and so we either go with 1 of his 2 options, have him find us a bigger stone/set it stock, or cut all ties if he will actually give us our money back (we've already paid for 2/3rds of the stone)

If he will, it will be awhile before we can afford a bigger stone from a different vendor and neither one of us wants to wait much longer.

I find this difficult to believe. The issues with your current ring aren't just styling - they're quality issues: the quality of the setting this friend made is not of the same standard as the rings in the pictures you showed him. If he was your friend and being a friend was foremost in mind when creating your ring, and he was capable of creating masterpieces like you've pointed out, wouldn't he have gone out of his way to ensure that the *quality* is top-notch, the best he could do?

This isn't a slight on him or his skills, mind. Rings of the quality that you printed out - JBeG, Steven Kirsch - don't come cheap, and you always get what you pay for. This sounds rather like a champagne tastes on a beer budget situation, and if that's the case then I do think you're better off putting all the money into the stone and getting a temp setting, as lower quality goods will likely just disappoint - especially now that you 'know what you're missing' so to speak.

I have to ask - what are you looking to get from thread? You're asking for informed opinions, we're giving them, yet you appear to be no closer to making a decision one way or another than you were when you first posted. You have two clear choices: either get the ball rolling on something else or sit back and cross your fingers - both choices have obvious pros and cons, but either way you're better served choosing and sticking to that, and believing you did the best you could given what you knew at the time, than continuing with this agonised waffling.

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
I find this a decision one way or another than you were when you first posted. You have two clear choices: either get the ball rolling on something else or sit back and cross your fingers - both choices have obvious pros and cons, but either way you're better served choosing and sticking to that, and believing you did the best you could given what you knew at the time, than continuing with this agonised waffling.[/quote]

You're absolutely right and I appreciate everyone's advice, I've shown my bf the responses and it has helped him see my point (i just want to try and get our money back/dont think we will get what we want with this vendor) versus what his friend is telling him but we still disagree on what to do. I will let you all know the outcome.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd get a refund. Tell the jeweler friend that you don't want to ruin the friendship continuing to do business with him and you really shouldn't have done the transaction to begin with, taking the blame. I'd then put whatever you can into the stone of your dreams and set it in a plain temp setting until you can save enough to have a halo made from a high quality maker. Please don't settle on your e-ring b/c things got sticky with a jeweler friend. I know it might not be easy but if he really is a friend he'd want you all to be happy and be understanding if you choose to take your business elsewhere. Even if you don't get as good a deal, you'll have more leverage if something goes wrong. Best of luck to you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrssalvo|1302657093|2894576 said:
I'd get a refund. Tell the jeweler friend that you don't want to ruin the friendship continuing to do business with him and you really shouldn't have done the transaction to begin with, taking the blame. I'd then put whatever you can into the stone of your dreams and set it in a plain temp setting until you can save enough to have a halo made from a high quality maker. Please don't settle on your e-ring b/c things got sticky with a jeweler friend. I know it might not be easy but if he really is a friend he'd want you all to be happy and be understanding if you choose to take your business elsewhere. Even if you don't get as good a deal, you'll have more leverage if something goes wrong. Best of luck to you.

Yes to all of this. If you can put your money into a great quality diamond from one of these vendors with a good upgrade policy, your best bet would be to get a diamond now and set it in a plain solitaire and later when you can afford it, upgrade the stone and then reset it into a high quality halo.

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
Update: We're going with another designer for my setting! Because the jeweler is a friend and realizes he can't do what we want, he's sending our stone to a designer who does awesome work and paying the difference! He just wants to do right by us and feels awful about the situation. I'd have rather done it on our own, but this is what is best for our situation. This time, we will send pictures and descriptions of what we want, get on the phone to discuss it with the designer so he can ask questions, get CAD renderings done to approve prior to the design, final pictures before final payment, etc. If, in the end, we don't like it, the jeweler will sell it and we'll get our money back so we can go somewhere else...

So, CAD rendering and more information to come! I'm getting excited again!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results