shape
carat
color
clarity

Alton Sterling and Philandro Castile

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one has posted the stories of Sterling and Castile here and I hesitated to do so because we've been there and done that. To ignore that there is an insidious disease running through the police departments in this nation is condoning the illegality of some of their actions. I agree with Rosenberg in the video. The police themselves have to be at the forefront of finding solutions to the blatant disregard of lives some of them have shown.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/falcon-heights-shooting_us_577dd795e4b0c590f7e8058f

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/alton-sterling-video_us_577d668ae4b0c590f7e7d2a7

https://twitter.com/Rosenbergradio?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/07/monitorial-citizenship-technology/490286/

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea, this has got to stop. Why are these murderers not being convicted when the evidence is so clearly in favor of it? We have two grand jurors here suing to get evidence unsealed that was deemed not admissible in the Mike Brown case. By all reports, it's not going to help the reputation of the prosecutor, who already appears to favor law enforcement.

And this nonsense about their cameras "falling off" in Louisiana? Yea, ok. I wanted to climb through my TV when I heard the one officer scream he's got a gun as he held an unarmed man, NOTHING IN HIS HAND, not even defending himself, laying flat with his back on the ground before shooting him six times in the chest. He probably hoped doing that would be the ticket to a self defense justification, and then there were other cameras trained on him that he was not expecting that captured the entirety of the situation. There's literally no explaining that one away. That was an execution.

But what's the explanation for Philandro Castile? Where's that body camera? I am not believing for a second that the officer thought he was reaching for a firearm. He had a gun on him. Why did he have a gun pointed on him when he was pulled over for a tail light? Someone please explain that to me. And now he's dead.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh I heard about Castile on the radio this morning driving into work. His girlfriend filmed the whole thing and live posted it to facebook. Now, to me, that is weird. But I'm not threatened when a cop pulls me over. I'm not 'randomly selected' to be carded while walking down a street doing nothing. If I say something happened, 'they' (whoever they is) are more inclined to believe me.
I'm glad she filmed it. I almost wish she caught the whole thing, which is morbid and disgusting, but at least there would be no 'he said she said'. There would be no 'it was self defense' or 'he was threatening' or whatever other bullshit excuse they will come up with.

I don't think a single officer who's shot and killed a black man/kid in recent years has even gotten time. That's IF they even went to trial. Like seriously, one was 12 years old! Castile's 4 year old kid was in the car. And they still shot him.

There is some serious shit going on, and it breaks my heart that law abiding citizens have to pay the price.
eta - Scratch law abiding citizen. Even if he had stolen a car, it doesn't give the cop a right to take his life. Someone steals a bag of skittles - doesn't give you the right to shoot them dead. In this case, he WAS law abiding, but I won't say it's suddenly ok when there's a petty crime involved.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is terrifying really. I watched the Alton Sterling video against my better judgement and it brought me to tears. That man was shot at point blank range in the chest. The intention from the onset was to kill him. And then the way those two officers just got up like nothing had happened. Absolutely disgusting. They clearly were satisfied with themselves and had no regard for his life. I cannot even imagine what his family must be going through. And I cannot imagine what it is like to be a black man in this country. This just keeps happening and the excuses are an insult to the intelligence of the citizens of this country.

I don't know what the solution is. How do you change the attitudes of the people responsible for protecting us? This is just devastating to read/hear about every day. I personally feel helpless and helplessness is not a catalyst for change. I would imagine many people feel helpless.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any answers but I hope we're starting to do a better job analyzing data, determining underlying problems, and begin crafting solutions. Here's some sobering data http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/2015/

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
puppmom|1467912728|4052645 said:
This is terrifying really. I watched the Alton Sterling video against my better judgement and it brought me to tears. That man was shot at point blank range in the chest. The intention from the onset was to kill him. And then the way those two officers just got up like nothing had happened. Absolutely disgusting. They clearly were satisfied with themselves and had no regard for his life. I cannot even imagine what his family must be going through. And I cannot imagine what it is like to be a black man in this country. This just keeps happening and the excuses are an insult to the intelligence of the citizens of this country.

I don't know what the solution is. How do you change the attitudes of the people responsible for protecting us? This is just devastating to read/hear about every day. I personally feel helpless and helplessness is not a catalyst for change. I would imagine many people feel helpless.
You said this very well. Better than I could've. I hate that we're just repeating the same history over and over. Every day sometimes multiple times per day, even. This lip service of "I have so and so and their families in my prayers" is ridiculous. No, you don't. If you did, and if you really cared, you'd ****ing fix it. To quote the Holocaust Museum, it's a "systematic, bureaucratic, state-sponsored persecution & murder" of an entire race. And "they"'re doing it in front of the victims' kids. It's insanity.

That link...that link is sickening.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Society is going to have to take care of this.

Professional policing in the US is out of control. The police in every place I've lived---California, Alaska, and Arizona---display their "Us versus them" mentality in blatant ways and because it was never addressed this has progressed to violence against people the police believe society does not care about: Kids, anyone of color, the mentally ill/homeless, and women.

I'm white, I'm educated, I'm well off financially. I'm not excitable or hysterical when I'm out and about, I'm not a criminal or a scofflaw, and I've been abused by police every.single.time I've had an encounter with them.

First when I was a student in Los Angeles crossing the street/in the crosswalk/with the light, noontime on a Saturday in Westwood. A police car paced me through the intersection with the lone male policeman leering at me the whole time. When I got to the curb he put on his lights and blipped the siren at me. He got out of the car and asked me for ID. I produced my student body card/USC and a driver's license. He told me to get in the car, that my ID was not correct. I said not until a female police officer was brought to the scene (this was when the Hillside Strangler was running loose in the Los Angeles and it was thought he might be a police officer). The policeman freaked out and started pulling on my arm to get me in the car. A group of elderly ladies sitting at an outdoor cafe saved me from this by coming over en masse and shaming him to leave me alone. When he left, they told me they were Holocaust survivors and they don't take SHIT from the police nor would they let an obviously scared woman on her own to be victimized that way.

I'll never forget those women and I try to stand up in public when I see things going wrong at the hands of the police.

I've had even worse encounters with the local police here in Chandler when I've called in for animal abuse at the home next door to mine. I gave the cops the assistance they needed when the SWAT team was setting up the neighbors for drug trafficking but when I wanted to discuss afterward the 3 dogs next door to be taken care of when the neighbors were hauled off to jail, I get told not to look at the officer I was talking to, that I'm not allowed to view his name tag, that he is going to put me on the curb and call for backup who will then mess me up, and when I ran for my door to try to call my husband, the officer followed me and pounded on my door and stuck his business card in it while screaming "This is who I am!"

Nope, I have no love for the police. I don't trust them to have my safety at heart. And that is how they treat white, educated, affluent people which is why I completely believe people of color, kids of color, the mentally ill and homeless when they described the violence and abuse and disrespect they get served up by the police. I get out of jury duty whenever I'm called because I am honest about my experiences with the police.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah this situation is out of control and has been for a long time. And while I have not had any bad experiences personally with the police I am scared of them. When there is a police officer around I usually get nervous and it's not because I have done anything wrong. I don't trust them in general and I don't want to interact with them if I can help it.

I am not saying all police are bad guys. Not at all. I am hoping the great majority of them are decent law abiding citizens who want to make the world a better place. However in this case the bad apples ruin the whole bunch and the poison needs to be weeded out for once and for all. This is not OK. They are here to serve the public and not abuse their power or the people they are serving. They have to abide by the laws just like everyone else.

When we were younger my parents had a very good friend who was a police officer (he died 2 decades ago) and he told us be careful because there were a lot of "bad" cops out there. His words not mine. And this was decades ago.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope these latest incidents, both of which appear to be clear-cut, will allow or force some people to see the need for the "Black Lives Matter" movement. I'm not naive enough to think it will change all minds, but surely some people who have been in denial about it will be forced to acknowledge that at least some in law enforcement treat Black people, and especially Black men, differently from others. (Please understand the my careful wording here. I'm regularly in contact with BL deniers and trying to think through how to discuss this with them. Presenting it in black and white terms - speaking now not of race but of extremes or absolutes - will not help.)

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I lived right by where the Castile shooting happened.

I actually unfortunately have encountered the officer who killed Castile. I had a traffic stop with him; absolute *******, so high and mighty, acted like a dick and said I could have killed somebody because I ran a yellow light (I didn't stop because I didn't want to have somebody rear end me). He seemed to have a lot of anger. When I saw the video, it sounded like him, but Diamond Reynolds (the girlfriend) said the officer seemed Chinese, so I wasn't sure. But the newspaper confirmed the officer as the one from my traffic stop from October 2014 and I'm livid and scared. I now know a murderer.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with everything written in this thread (although one cannot agree with living near someone or having encountered someone, of course).

I have to let you all know that in a world without the pressures of really bad crime and in a place where police officers can be cherry picked and expected to behave well, they do. Police officers in my town are really almost always polite and helpful. I even read about this phenomenon, the author making it a matter of humor, in a mystery novel recently. Greenwich, Connecticut cops are really courteous and nice. Usually. When you meet an angry one, you roll with it. But it's unusual. That used to happen to me once in a while when i was a teenager. Now it never does. I think this is on my mind because I keep having to call 911 for my father (who keeps falling) and the nicest policemen and EMTs keep coming over and petting my huge, black Newfoundland (not shooting him) and saying he's '"cool" and "the biggest Newfie I ever saw" and so forth. They are gentle with my dad. And I love those guys.

But back to the topic at hand.

AGBF

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pic of Alton Sterling and his arrest record:

9/09/96 aggravated battery
10/31/97 2nd degree battery
1/06/98 simple battery
5/04/00 public intimidation
9/20/00 carnal knowledge of a juvenile
9/04/01 domestic violence
5/24/05 burglary of an inhabited dwelling place
7/11/05 receiving stolen things
9/12/05 burglary of inhabited dwelling place
3/17/06 simple criminal damage to property, simple robbery, simple theft, drug possession, misrepresentation during booking, simple battery, aggravated battery
4/12/06 aggravated battery, simple criminal damage to property, disturbing the peace, unauthorized entry
4/04/08 domestic abuse battery
6/03/09 resisting an officer, drug possession, receiving stolen things, possession of stolen firearm, illegal carrying of a weapon with CDs, sound reproduct without consent
10/12/09 illegal carrying of weapon, marijuana possession
8/13/15 failure to register as a sex offender
4/08/16 failure to register as a sex offender
6/14/16 ecstacy and marijuana possession

Know all the facts and wait to see all the evidence before passing judgement.

alton_sterling.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1467961449|4052920 said:

1/06/98 simple battery
3/17/06 simple criminal damage to property, simple robbery, simple theft, drug possession, misrepresentation during booking, simple battery, aggravated battery
4/12/06 aggravated battery, simple criminal damage to property, disturbing the peace, unauthorized entry
6/03/09 resisting an officer, drug possession, receiving stolen things, possession of stolen firearm, illegal carrying of a weapon with CDs, sound reproduct without consent

You might make a good prosecutor if a judge allowed any old prejudicial evidence in, redwood. At a rape trial where it was clear that a woman had been raped, you would introduce a detailed history of her unsavory and totally unrelated sexual behavior in as "evidence". Nice work blaming the victim.

AGBF

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1467952094|4052887 said:

Wow, another interesting and disturbing article. Thanks Matata. A very tragic situation indeed. :cry:

On any given day, in any police department in the nation, 15 percent of officers will do the right thing no matter what is happening. Fifteen percent of officers will abuse their authority at every opportunity. The remaining 70 percent could go either way depending on whom they are working with.

It is not only white officers who abuse their authority. The effect of institutional racism is such that no matter what color the officer abusing the citizen is, in the vast majority of those cases of abuse that citizen will be black or brown. That is what is allowed.

But violence is never an answer to violence period. And ALL lives matter. I am sorry but what is happening in response is completely unacceptable and I think what other great men/women before us would have done and how they would have responded to this violence and never would it have been with more violence and more killing. :cry:

http://www.nationalcenter.org/P21NVGreenBlackLivesMatter90115.html

"Black Lives Matter" is a great slogan. As a black man, I agree that black lives matter just as much as the lives of any of our racial counterparts.

But chanting, marching and hashtag activism isn't going to work unless we also are willing to see the big-picture problems affecting black America.

Here's a hint: making black lives matter has little to do with institutional racism, white privilege and white cops.

One website organizing people pushing "black lives matter" calls it "a slogan under which black people can unite to end state sanctioned violence both in Ferguson, but also across the United States of America… to end the insidious and widespread assault on black life." It states "Black people make up a mere 13 percent of the U.S. population [but] make up more than a third of those killed in officer-involved shootings across the country."

Perhaps. But the virtuous goal of promoting the perceived value of black lives in the manner now demanded by radical community activists is tragically misguided.

Activism advocating that black lives matter could have much more moral authority, and could be taken much more seriously, if it focused on actions devaluing black lives. These have very little to do with white cops and everything to do with self-destructive black behavior.

There is a disparity regarding violent death in the black community. We are killing our own at an alarming rate. According to a U.S. Department of Justice analysis, most murders are intraracial and "93 percent of black victims were killed by blacks" between 1980 and 2008. Yet Attorney General Holder, President Obama and Reverend Sharpton haven't wanted a national conversation about this shocking figure.

In a black-white comparison, black homicide victimization rates were around six times higher than for whites. Furthermore:

Blacks were 47.4 percent of all homicide victims and 52.5 percent of offenders.

Blacks accounted for 62.1 percent of all drug-related homicide victims compared to 36.9 percent for whites. Over 65.6 percent — almost two-thirds — of all drug-related homicide offenders were black as compared to 33.2 percent being white.

Blacks were 44.1 percent of felony murder victims and almost 59.9 percent of the offenders.
It's not like things improved under Obama's leadership. According to FBI statistics for 2012, 2,412 of 2,648 cases of black homicide had a black perpetrator.

This, to me, qualifies as an "insidious and widespread assault on black life." Yet those claiming black lives matter fixate on Michael Brown and Eric Garner while virtually ignoring the thousands of black-on-black murder victims who remain largely nameless and faceless except to their loved ones.

The internecine war doesn't begin there. It actually begins in the womb. As deadly as black-on-black crime can be, the most dangerous place for a black child is still in the womb.

While blacks make up only around 13 percent of the American population, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported black abortions accounted for nearly 35.7 percent of all abortions performed in 2010. In Mississippi, blacks accounted for 71.7 percent of all abortions, despite blacks comprising only around 37 percent of the population.

Similarly, a report from the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene found more black babies were killed by abortion (31,328) in New York City than were born (24,758) in 2012 — totaling 42.4 percent of all abortions performed there.

Black lives matter? Not only is it questionable if black lives really do matter to blacks themselves, but one could also sincerely question if deep self-hate is responsible for motivating blacks to kill themselves off with the recklessness that seems to permeate our actions.

Combining the black victims of abortion and black-on-black homicides, we are facing an assault on black lives that has nothing to do with racist, white cops.

If we don't take our own lives seriously, why should we expect or demand that anyone else do so?

I believe black lives matter. It's more than an Internet hashtag to me. But black lives should matter to black folk at least as much as they matter to others. Black lives have to matter just as much when blacks take them.

Derryck Green, a member of the national advisory council of the Project 21 black leadership network, received an M.A. in Theological Studies from Fuller Theological Seminary and is currently pursuing his doctorate in ministry at Azusa Pacific University. Comments may be sent to [email protected].

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all over our news here. It just keeps happening. The treatment of the girlfriend who was filming after it happened was appalling. And there was a child in the car when the police officer shot Mr. Castile! To think one of those 4 (4!!!!) bullets could have gone astray.

puppmom|1467912728|4052645 said:
How do you change the attitudes of the people responsible for protecting us?

Long ago I dated a man who became a police officer while I was dating him. My father is normally a fairly passive man. He'd liked my boyfriend during the previous year we'd dated. When my boyfriend started training to become a police officer my father got scared and requested many times that I leave the relationship. According to my white, middle class, republican father there is nothing more scary than a police officer dating your daughter because of their propensity to act with violence first, think later.

At the time I was shocked my father thought such things. I understand a lot more now. The attitudes run deep and it seems to be getting worse rather than better.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had myself watch those videos thought I knew they would upset me. Honestly I don't know which one was more upsetting.
It hurts my heart to think a portion of this country live in a police state.
There's a local black lives matter rally and a friend of mine mentioned he would like to go but genuinely feels it would be unsafe for him to attend he event; being a large black man.

God bless that girlfriend and her composure. If someone shoty husband in a traffic stop, I would be screaming, crying, and flipping out. As a black woman she had the awareness to keep calm, and that probably saved at least her life, maybe her daughter's.

I don't have anything meaningful to say here. I'm very rocked by these, and I'm sad we have a presidential candidate who doesn't even think BlackLivesMatter should be a thing.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Niel said:
I had myself watch those videos thought I knew they would upset me. Honestly I don't know which one was more upsetting.
There's a local black lives matter rally and a friend of mine mentioned he would like to go but genuinely feels it would be unsafe for him to attend he event; being a large black man.

God bless that girlfriend and her composure. If someone shoty husband in a traffic stop, I would be screaming, crying, and flipping out. As a black woman she had the awareness to keep calm, and that probably saved at least her life, maybe her daughter's.

I don't have anything meaningful to say here. I'm very rocked by these, and I'm sad we have a presidential candidate who doesn't even think BlackLivesMatter should be a thing.

Right? I can't believe her composure. I was a puddle last night and I was crying and that was just because I found out that I have been in a traffic stop with the same officer.

I realized that could have been me.

The officer said I could have killed somebody.

I couldn't sleep last night and she's having all this composure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1467976600|4052979 said:

1/06/98 simple battery

You might make a good prosecutor if a judge allowed any old prejudicial evidence in, redwood. At a rape trial where it was clear that a woman had been raped, you would introduce a detailed history of her unsavory and totally unrelated sexual behavior in as "evidence". Nice work blaming the victim.

AGBF

So this is a trial you are conducting here?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marquise_Madness|1467981331|4052993 said:
Niel said:

Right? I can't believe her composure. I was a puddle last night and I was crying and that was just because I found out that I have been in a traffic stop with the same officer.

I realized that could have been me.

The officer said I could have killed somebody.

I couldn't sleep last night and she's having all this composure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MM, that gave me the shivers. It kinda puts it in for perspective for me (I live 5,000 miles away) that it's real and not just something I see on tv at a distance. Very scary for you!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

1/06/98 simple battery

Which of those crimes are punishable by death? Did his executioner kill him for these crimes or for selling CDs?

Where's your rap sheet on Philando Castile? Oh, thats right, he doesn't have one. But unfortunately he has the same coloring as some people who have rap sheets a mile a long and cause riots in prison...

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maria D|1467982503|4053000 said:

1/06/98 simple battery

Which of those crimes are punishable by death? Did his executioner kill him for these crimes or for selling CDs?

Where's your rap sheet on Philando Castile? Oh, thats right, he doesn't have one. But unfortunately he has the same coloring as some people who have rap sheets a mile a long and cause riots in prison...

No drama or judgment at all in your post. SMH

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1467981407|4052995 said:
AGBF|1467976600|4052979 said:

1/06/98 simple battery

So this is a trial you are conducting here?

Now it is I who am conducting a trial? Who started presenting "evidence" against the shooting victim?

OK. Have it your way. We'll go backwards. He was executed. Doesn't he have a right to a trial, albeit posthumously? Otherwise why did you present all that "evidence" of his wrongdoing years before his execution in cold blood, redwood? Hmmm? I think you were trying to try him in the court of public opinion. He was a criminal, so he got what was coming. An execution for no reason.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1/06/98 simple battery

Well Philando Castille had NO criminal record and in his place of employment he was beloved by both the kids and adults. What can the cops use to try to smear his reputation and imply he somehow deserved it? Pulled over for a broken tail light and shot dead. Unbelievable.

Redwood, I get that because of your career, you have seen a lot of violent criminals and thugs over the years. Things we probably couldn't even comprehend. But in these two cases, the police were wrong. Both of those men should still be alive today.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are trying the cops here is my point. Actually no you are declaring them guilty before the full story is out.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1467987984|4053053 said:
You are trying the cops here is my point. Actually no you are declaring them guilty before the full story is out.

And when you found it disgusting that police were murdered in Dallas, how was that different? Did you think they were accidentally shot? You didn't wait for a medical examiner's report.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1467989768|4053077 said:

And when you found it disgusting that police were murdered in Dallas, how was that different? Did you think they were accidentally shot?

Finding it disgusting and deciding someone is guilty are the same thing?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1467989876|4053080 said:

And when you found it disgusting that police were murdered in Dallas, how was that different? Did you think they were accidentally shot?

Actually the title of your thread is, "Coward Cop Killers" so you did find someone guilty.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1467990153|4053082 said:
redwood66|1467989876|4053080 said:

Actually the title of your thread is, "Coward Cop Killers" so you did find someone guilty.

Yep you got me there. Good one for you. Hiding in a building to shoot cops is not a coward.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results