shape
carat
color
clarity

Already married but no rings - what to do?!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If your tastes lean towards vintage or classic you may consider a bezel setting in an art deco style as a stand-alone ring. You'll find rings with plenty of sparkle and nice filigree detailing on the band. Don't be shy about considering art deco rings with sapphires or emeralds as accent stones.

Shoney

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous ring ideas here!
I totally agree that you should get what you really, really want, even if it takes awhile to figure out what that is exactly. Being married 15 years with all you've been through is a huge accomplishment!!
My engagement ring has some negativity attached to it and there are days I actually hate wearing it. So now hubby and I have sorted it out and am getting a new stone and setting. It does seem a little odd at times, but I'll have a ring I love, which means more to me than I realized.
Looking forward to pics!

mort1980

Rough_Rock
Shoney|1477762832|4091805 said:
It does seem a little odd at times, but I'll have a ring I love, which means more to me than I realized.
Looking forward to pics!

Yes, exactly! We do not have a lot of jewelry store options in my area (mostly just mall chains) but I did go try on a few things to get an idea. I surprised myself by liking the eternity ring option much more than I thought I would! I tried on some absolutely stunning engagement rings of various styles but there was something so timeless and elegant about the eternity band which I just loved.

But who knew there were so many eternity ring options!!! So many different types of settings (shared prong, U-prong, pave, channel, etc) and they all have a different look to them. And it's hard to find them in real life to look at too.

Ugh...I'm feeling like this decision could take some time.

Shoney

Rough_Rock
Eternity rings are awesome. I have one in 14k white gold with tiny stones and a milgrain edge. It's perfect for my short fingers.
Take your time! It's a process to enjoy. :)

mort1980

Rough_Rock
Ugh. I'm not having much luck. I have seen some really beautiful options and I think they're gorgeous...until I put them on my hand. I just haven't liked the way any of them looked and/or felt on me. I've talked to custom jewelers in my area - based on my lifestyle and the fact that I'm hard on my hands and my rings, they said they wouldn't recommend an eternity ring for me. Which, of course, is the only option so far that I've really liked. I honestly did not expect this process to be so difficult. I guess maybe I was trying to rush it for the holidays and our anniversary but I've decided it's better to wait for the right ring than to try to force it and wind up unhappy. We are about 3 hours from a Tiffany's and I'd like to go look there in person but likely won't get around to it until the new year. That's kind of where I'm at for now. I appreciate everyone's help. :)

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do a search on "gypsy set eternity rings." There may be something you like there. Gypsy set is probably the safest of all settings.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mort1980|1480959638|4104942 said:
Ugh. I'm not having much luck. I have seen some really beautiful options and I think they're gorgeous...until I put them on my hand. I just haven't liked the way any of them looked and/or felt on me. I've talked to custom jewelers in my area - based on my lifestyle and the fact that I'm hard on my hands and my rings, they said they wouldn't recommend an eternity ring for me. Which, of course, is the only option so far that I've really liked. I honestly did not expect this process to be so difficult. I guess maybe I was trying to rush it for the holidays and our anniversary but I've decided it's better to wait for the right ring than to try to force it and wind up unhappy. We are about 3 hours from a Tiffany's and I'd like to go look there in person but likely won't get around to it until the new year. That's kind of where I'm at for now. I appreciate everyone's help. :)

When you go to Tiffany's try on the channel set eternity. It's gorgeous, low profile and great for those who are hard on their hands. The channel of platinum will protect the diamonds but you still get the eternity look of bling ::) . I have a channel set eternity and am super tough on my hands and it's been great (mine's not Tiffany). Good luck, keep us in the loupe!

http://www.tiffany.com/collections/celebration-rings/tiffany-diamond-wedding-band-GRP00906?fromGrid=1&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+616859-s+5-r+101323340-t+-ni+1-x+-lr+0-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+5095+9&search=0&origin=browse&searchkeyword=&trackpdp=bg&fromcid=616859&trackgridpos=87

http://www.tiffany.com/collections/celebration-rings/tiffany-jazz-graduated-band-ring-GRP02152?fromGrid=1&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+616859-s+5-r+101323340-t+-ni+1-x+-lr+0-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+2050+9&search=0&origin=browse&searchkeyword=&trackpdp=bg&fromcid=616859&trackgridpos=35

mort1980

Rough_Rock
That's actually one of the rings at Tiffany's that I want to look at. This one:
faf8f33606b8c5336aa5554025dad040.jpg

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just chiming in to say I am so happy for you! I can't wait to see what you choose, definitely find something that makes you happy!!!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Tiffany ring you show here - especially as a wedding band with an engagement ring. However, for I stand alone ring I prefer something a bit wider like the Etoile. I have one and love it so much. However, your ring has to obviously be what YOU love and what looks best on YOUR hand etc etc. etc :)

mort1980

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to update this thread... I opted to have my original antique engagement ring recreated by a local custom jeweler. (It had been lost to me probably 8 years ago now...) It certainly took longer but it was worth it to have exactly what I wanted, made just for me. I just got it yesterday and it looks so much like the original that having it is like finding something precious that I lost. I've paired it with a plain 3mm 18k white gold wedding band, effectively recreating my original set.

Specs
platinum head
18k white gold shank
.40 E VS2 center
.05 and .04 H-F VS sides

Thanks to everyone for their help. You really helped me narrow things down and hone in on what I wanted.
IMG_2764.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I read your story and I am so happy that in the end you got what you truly wanted. I hope that this ring is associated only with happy emotions moving forward! :)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's really lovely and looks beautiful on your hand. I'm glad you found the option that sang to you and feels right

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy to read that everything's worked out for you. The ring looks just perfect on your hand, and I hope will be worn in good health and happiness.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful and looks wonderful on you. Congratulations on getting exactly what you want.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on both the ring but also the (now more than) 15 years of marriage!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that's beautiful! I love the elegant, timeless look of the setting and the gorgeous diamonds!

Getting what truly makes us happy is worth taking the time to figure out. Not an easy decision with all the incredible options available when it comes to settings and stones (diamonds, coloured stones).

Thank you for the update and the photo of you wearing your beautiful ring. It looks perfect on you!

Wishing you and your DH many years filled with love, laughter and joy!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is stunning! Sometimes you really have to take your time and see what sings to you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That turned out so pretty! Congratulations on "finding" your original ring!:appl:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely! Congrats!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!
It's a beautiful ring and really suits you.
I hope you have a wonderful future together.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. Your new ring looks great.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Happy ending!:appl::love:

cheers--Sharon

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful and you deserve it!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow that is so pretty! :love: Looks beautiful on you, really glad everything worked out so well!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh that is beautiful and timeless. Really good job.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, like before they walk down the aisle... :mrgreen:
Me included DF... (twice :whistle:)

To the OP: Congratulations on 15 years of marriage! It's a huge accomplishment! Also congratulations on your hubby staying strong and being sober for a year now! You've got a lot to celebrate!
I can't wait to see what you will finally choose! So exciting to be shopping for a ring after not having one for so long! Personally, i would choose a beautiful engagement ring and a plain band and i'd wear them as a set! I love the five stone rings that other members suggested but as right hand rings.
Good luck in your pursuit of the perfect ring:appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results