shape
carat
color
clarity

All this talk about cut quality, any guess on my ER? GIA

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hi :)
So many discussions about quality of cut has me thinking. I just purchased a new diamond which has a phenomenal cut. Yah :) Taught me well PSers!

I know my original ER isnt the best of the best and has a tiny bit of spread (always loved it tho). The GIA is from 1998 & does not have a lot of technical info on it. When I was considering trading it in, the jewelers told me they thought it was either a good or a very good cut. One of them asked me to send the diamond to GIA for a recert. before buying. I ended up keeping my org. since @ hock I was offered 2k/3k. NEVER.

Curious...any guesses on if it is a G or VG cut? Not sure there is enough info to know. Doesn't matter either way to me. I always loved the stone (and enjoyed the spread, it's shallow)

6.84-6.91 x 3.88mm. 1.1 RB
56.4% debth
64% table
Polish VG
Semmerty Good (oops)
Girdle. Very thin to medium
Small cutlet

(Side note, unpolished girdle)

I, VS2

Thanks for a peak!

2015-08-18_08.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be good if you could type all that info starting with measurements. Some of it is hard to read.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a well cut stone...big table, no crown height, very thin girdle and very shallow cut.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1450974280|3965780 said:
Not a well cut stone...big table, no crown height, very thin girdle and very shallow cut.

Lol...I know that :) ....prob a good? Poor? Well, if any guesses are a poor cut, I must say I love(ed) that poor cut for 15 years :). We didn't have two dimes to rub together. Size was important to me. My mom knew a man who sold second hand rings and we bought this preowned. :)

Hi Diamondseeker, added the info in an edit! Thanks....sneaky feeling it may be a "poor". It I was always very proud of this diamond and loved it for years and years. Of course now I know what a knockout Diamond looks like. Definitely a substantial difference between my new one and my old one. So is the price paid.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am right there with you! Back when I got engaged, diamonds were hardly graded at all! So we had no idea what we were doing! That's why I was so thrilled to find PS when my husband said he'd get me a new one for an anniversary!

Your old diamond is a good pendant stone. That's what I'd probably do with it.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1450975148|3965790 said:
Your old diamond is a good pendant stone. That's what I'd probably do with it.

Lol! So PC :) :) Gentle... :) I appreciate not bashing it! :) :)

For now, I'm going to keep it as a ring and wear it whenever I feel I want to be lower key. Not sure I would wear a pendant often? Of course someone posted a pendant the other day that was a total knockout! Who knows....probably will just be a right hand ring.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondseeker, I meant that sincerely. I think you were trying to say that it was not a very well cut diamond, to say the least, in a polite way. I honestly do appreciate that :) :)

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
There's actually a fair cut grade in between poor and good. And as depth decreases the table size increases. But that's a spread of a 1.20ct stone i suppose. A five dollar bet that stone has a fish eye. Some consolation: if i had to select a poor cut stone that's exactly the kind of cut i would prefer rather than deep stone. Spread is better than height, its a brilliant cut not a bullet cut.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks gr8leo87...I would prefer a spread vs. deep cut also. I tease now that I am "educated" and call it my fish eye. Not as bad as some fish eyes I have viewed online if iy does have one. I do see a small circle of sorts (not very dark). Unsure if I am seeing the cutlet. Who knows. Maybe it is a fair cut. Glad to know there is a cut inbetween good and poor. Poor thing :( Sometimes knowledge is not a good thing lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results