shape
carat
color
clarity

All-Clad, is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Is All-Clad stainless worth the high price? I would like to add a really nice set of stainless cookware to our registry and I was wondering if I should go for the All-Clad or not. Don''t worry I am not expecting our guests to actually spend that much money on us, I plan on buying it myself!
2.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I registered for a set and we actually received it, since then, we''ve added some pieces. I think it is totally worth it.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you''re thinking of getting All-Clad, make sure you try picking up the heavier pots by the handle. People either like the AC handles or they don''t. If you like the handles, they can be great pots and pans. Personally, I find the All Clad handles uncomfortable on the larger size pots. It''s as if they are upside down and the edges dig in my hand. My small All-Clad saucier, however, is fabulous and the handle doesn''t bother me because it''s small and nothing heavy goes in it. So try them for yourself, especially the big ones because they better simulate the weight of the pot or pan with food in it.

I''m also a big believer in having the right pot for the right activity so have a mix of various brands of pots and pans rather than have every pan be the same brand and style. But that''s me.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you're buying it for yourself, no way is it worth it. go to a restaurant supply store and buy their tri-ply, or Tramontina (at Wal-Mart.)

for a gift, perfect.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are too heavy for me.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2009 3:14:48 AM
Author: rainwood
If you''re thinking of getting All-Clad, make sure you try picking up the heavier pots by the handle. People either like the AC handles or they don''t. If you like the handles, they can be great pots and pans. Personally, I find the All Clad handles uncomfortable on the larger size pots. It''s as if they are upside down and the edges dig in my hand. My small All-Clad saucier, however, is fabulous and the handle doesn''t bother me because it''s small and nothing heavy goes in it. So try them for yourself, especially the big ones because they better simulate the weight of the pot or pan with food in it.

I''m also a big believer in having the right pot for the right activity so have a mix of various brands of pots and pans rather than have every pan be the same brand and style. But that''s me.
Yeah, many people, but men especially it seems, are inclined to not like All-Clad for the handles. They''ve got those thin edges that cut into your hands when using the heavier pots/pans. My man simply won''t have them because of that. And I overheard another woman in Williams Sonoma one day saying that her husband hated the handles.

I too have a mix. I have a tiny All-Clad one-quart sauce pot, and I just LOVE the Calphalon copper tri-ply I have - a 5.5 qt stock pot - just the right size for the amount of soup we make for 2 for a couple or three days, and a 3 qt shallow sauce pan w/lid. We also have several sizes of cast iron that see quite a bit of work, and I even have a Revereware 3.5 qt pot that has both a steamer and a double-boiler insert. But our big workhorse is the Calphalon One 10" pan. Has the little handle on the side opposite the big handle. Husband LOVES the handles - big, rounded, comfortable.

I personally would recommend the Calphalon tri-ply. It doesn''t have to be the copper - they don''t make that many sizes in that type anyway. The stainless tri-ply would be fine I suspect. And I do recall it being cheaper. And like others, I recommend buying only the pans you need rather than sets.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
If you decide to look at the Caphalon, check out Analon as well. They are made in the same factory with the same materials.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 9:50:20 AM
Author: EricaR
If you decide to look at the Caphalon, check out Analon as well. They are made in the same factory with the same materials.

I love my Analon! I got a whole set for the price of one or two All-Clads.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have pieces from different lines as i think they serve the work purposes better: a couple of small All-Clad''s, lots and lots of Calphalon anodized, and some Le Creuset. i cannot fry an egg in my All-Clad or Calphalon and use my old cast iron skillet for that.

movie zombie

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I''m having this dilemma as well right now. I''m looking for stainless steel pots.

I only want in stainless steel:
1 saute pan
1 sauce pan
1 frying pan

I have lots of Le Creuset enameled cast iron pots - and I mostly use those, but I feel as though I need another material for sauces and other things that would not require cast iron.

Right now, I''m deciding between All Clad stainless steel and the new(er) line of Le Creuset stainless steel (which is getting great reviews - some users even declare this a better line than All Clad) - has anyone tried any pieces from Le Creuset''s stainless line???

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry - I totally thread-jacked
4.gif

But to answer your original question - everyone who actually OWNS All Clad will say that it''s worth it - I have two dear friends who received All Clad pots when they were married and they love them - although, they are not very big cooks - they MAYBE make spaghetti out of a jar once a week - I find that a set of that caliber will be useless if it''s intended use is "light" cooking - only the hard-core cooks will fully utilize a set like this.

I love cooking - I cook all the time - but I''m not so sold on the "is it worth it" part....Le Creuset - TOTALLY worth it - no question in my mind....but a $200 sauce pan, hmmm - I''m not quite so sure - but - I AM still considering this line...

I''m also interested to see what others say.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t tell you my experience with All-Clad but I did consider buying the set. Somehow I just couldn''t justify spending the $$$.

Instead I got the Sam''s Club Full-Clad set (such a generic name, lol!). I''ve had them for years now and I still love them. They still look brand new too.

cara

Ideal_Rock
I found All-Clad totally worth it as an upgrade from cheap Faberware. Haven''t compared to Calphalon tri-ply, but that also gets good reviews. To save money, we went with the All-Clad MC line which has the same stainless cooking surface but the exterior is brushed aluminum. If you are looking at AC partly for the aesthetics of stainless, then you will want to stick with the standard stainless line.

As others have said, you might want to mix and match lines based on what you are buying. Le Creuset for some bigger, heavier pieces; Something nonstick (either coated nonstick or cast iron nonstick) for egg-frying. Uncoated stainless is not really for eggs. AC does have some nonstick pieces but we went with Calphalon nonstick. We have two Demeyere pans (a 9" saute pan and a covered chef''s pan) that are also "clad" pans similar to All-Clad but heavier and prettier than the MC. They are really really awesome pans and really expensive. They first time my husband used it to cook a piece of chicken he was in shock at how easy it was to get the chicken perfectly browned on the outside and then cooked through without burning or overcooking anything. I''m sure its possible in other pans it was just easier with a nice solid piece of cookware. If we could afford it we would get more.

One thing you might consider is signing up for Cook''s Illustrated (two weeks free) and reading a bunch on their testing results on pots and pans - that really helped me when registering.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 9:53:48 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 1/8/2009 9:50:20 AM
Author: EricaR

I love my Analon! I got a whole set for the price of one or two All-Clads.
My parents live the town over from the factory and once a year they have a big sale. Each December I give my mom a wish list and I get a big box of stuff. This year I got a whole new set of Analon cookware that she bought for 80% off of retail price. Score for me!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I''m another one who hates All-Clad handles. They really hurt my hands when I played with them in the store, even though the pans were empty. I do LUURRRVVVEE my Calphalon One pans, though. The handles are much more user-friendly, IMO, and they''re so easy to cook with. I don''t know if they were "worth" the price, since that''s something that really varies person-to-person, but I''m definitely glad to have them. In general, though, I think that good cookware is worth it regardless of which brand feels right to you -- my parents have cheap stainless cookware and it''s so hard to cook with, I burn everything whenever I go to visit them!

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
We recently used a friends and family coupon at Macy's to get an on-sale 10-piece set of the polished stainless all-clad at a decent discount (using wedding gift money). So, we obviously thought it was worth it. We love to cook, and I always had good experiences with the set of all-clad my parents have. That said, I completely agree that there are different pots and pans for different uses. Cook scrambled or fried eggs in an all-clad pan, and you're going to have lots of fun cleaning it up when you're done. However, the all-clad heats really evenly (great on our electric burners), which makes them fantastic for sauces, browning meats, etc. I browned some breaded chicken the other night and was amazed at how perfectly even they came out. I've also managed to cook rice w/o it burning/sticking for the first time.

So, the collection of pots we have (that I actually do/will use regularly) include:

New All-Clad set - includes 8" and 10" fry-pans, 2 and 3qt saucepans with lids, 3 qt saute pan with lid, and 8qt stock pot with lid
Enameled cast iron dutch oven - LOVE this thing for soups, pot roasts, no-knead bread, etc
Old farberware aluminum stock pot that's great for pasta because it heats up so quickly (especially since we aren't too concerned about cranking the burner all the way up)
Cast iron skillet - new christmas gift, but I can't wait to start using it
Some old farberware non-stick skillets that I'd like to replace in the near future. I find it's useful to have at least SOME non-stick in the house for recipes that just aren't very forgiving.

All-clad pros: Very even heat distribution and give us great temperature control on our crappy electric stove. They're all metal, so they can go in the oven, under the broiler, etc. Oh, and they're pretty!
All-clad cons: Expensive. That pretty finish can require some care if you want them to STAY pretty. The shiny finish shows water spots and scratches fairly easily, and the smooth interiors show scratches if you use metal utensils (which is why all-clad says no metal utensils...). Cleaning tip - Bar Keepers Friend powdered cleaner will do wonders for removing heat/food discolorations, spotting, etc on your stainless cookware.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I guess my advice is it really depends on your personal priorities, what kinds of food you cook, etc. We make a lot of recipes where sauteing, browning, and lifting the glaze off the pan are essential to the flavor and sauce. We don't make nearly as much requiring non-stick.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I actually have to say I love the one piece I have - it just knocks my other SS cookware out of the park (Cuisinart and a couple of no-name pieces). I can''t wait to buy more pieces - I plan to build a collection of that plus keep replacing cheap non-stick frying pans as necessary, I think its the best combo possible.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2009 11:16:07 AM
Author: Cleopatra
I'm having this dilemma as well right now. I'm looking for stainless steel pots.

I only want in stainless steel:
1 saute pan
1 sauce pan
1 frying pan

I have lots of Le Creuset enameled cast iron pots - and I mostly use those, but I feel as though I need another material for sauces and other things that would not require cast iron.

Right now, I'm deciding between All Clad stainless steel and the new(er) line of Le Creuset stainless steel (which is getting great reviews - some users even declare this a better line than All Clad) - has anyone tried any pieces from Le Creuset's stainless line???
the point of SS, IMO, is for its nonreactive surface. if you use a frying pan to fry, SS is a waste of money. aluminum has better heat conductivity, and cast iron has better heat retention.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2009 5:28:22 PM
Author: JulieN
the point of SS, IMO, is for its nonreactive surface. if you use a frying pan to fry, SS is a waste of money. aluminum has better heat conductivity, and cast iron has better heat retention.
and, i thought until i read a response above, another advantage to SS was the ability to use metal tools?!

movie zombie

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was surprised that someone selling All-Clad would say not to use metal utensils. I always use metal utensils with my stainless pans. Who cares if the inside gets scratched? I like the swirly patterns.

I''m also a big fan of Barkeeper''s Friend. It can clean up anything. And one of the great things about stainless is that you can let something that''s stuck or burned on soak for awhile with warm water and make the cleanup pretty easy. I started cooking with stainless, moved to nonstick when it became really popular but didn''t like that it scratched, didn''t ever get really clean, and shouldn''t be used on high heat for things like stir fry. And eventually became stick rather than non-stick. Now I use nonstick only for things like eggs, and buy cheapies so I can throw them away when they get kind of grotty.

To address one other point, most of the good stainless cookware has stainless on the outside but has several plys of other better heat conductive materials like aluminum or copper on the inside. I don''t like cooking with straight aluminum pans because they react with acidic foods like tomatoes, wine, lemon juice, etc. My very favorite pan is a 5-qt. Tramontina stainless tri-ply saute pan that I bought at Costco a few years ago. If there was a fire and I could only save one thing from all my kitchen stuff, I would run out carrying that pan. I use it probably 75% of the time.

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
I have what my FI calls a "ridiculous" amount of of All-Clad Copper Core, a small set of the All-Clad non-stick, and a bunch of the Le Creuset. If you''re going to spend your money on All-Clad, make the splurge for the Copper Core. The Copper Core heats so much more evenly than the regular stainless steel. They are heavy as can be, but I''ve gotten used to it. I haven''t noticed that the handles are uncomfortable. They do get hot on both sets of All-Clad and the Le Creuset.

While I like my Copper Core, I have a friend who doesn''t like hers. She misses her old Calphalon set. Of course, I cook everyday and sometimes find that four burners aren''t enough. She isn''t much of a cook. My FMIL has Copper Core and also loves it. FMIL uses hers on one of those flat-top electric stoves (that look like induction but aren''t) and I use mine on gas. Copper Core can''t be used on induction cooktops. That is something to keep in mind.

I tend to use my Le Creuset for soup, stew, braising, and frying. Everything else I use the Copper Core for.
While All-Clad and Le Creuset can be expensive, I''ve gotten amazing deals on NIB ones on eBay.

One drawback to both All-Clad and Le Creuset is that the lids aren''t see-through like some other brands. It takes a little more effort to check for a simmer (I have to get my ear really close!)

I hope this helps.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
My whole cooking set is the all-clad stainless steel and I love it! I cook a lot so I really do use it all the time. Its sturdy, and can go in the dishwasher. It always looks great, although I recommend purchasing some barkeepers friend to keep it looking like new. I also have a le creuset dutch oven (7.25 quart) that I use a lot too. I have two AC non-stick skillets 8", 10" in addition to a regular skillet b/c sometimes you just need non-stick.

Before registering I went to Williams-Sonoma and had the pots and pans lady thoroughly go over every type of cookware with me and this was what I decided on, plus a lot of the food network chef''s use it too.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 9:41:16 AM
Author: appletini
My whole cooking set is the all-clad stainless steel and I love it! I cook a lot so I really do use it all the time. Its sturdy, and can go in the dishwasher. It always looks great, although I recommend purchasing some barkeepers friend to keep it looking like new. I also have a le creuset dutch oven (7.25 quart) that I use a lot too. I have two AC non-stick skillets 8'', 10'' in addition to a regular skillet b/c sometimes you just need non-stick.

Before registering I went to Williams-Sonoma and had the pots and pans lady thoroughly go over every type of cookware with me and this was what I decided on, plus a lot of the food network chef''s use it too.
Appletini - I think if you put your all clad in the dishwasher it actually voids your warranty - I remember reading that on their website!

I have All Clad as well and I definitely think it''s worth it! I cook a lot too, and everything that everyone has said about even heat distribution, browning, sauteeing is all true. There are 2 of us at the house and I find I use our 3.5 quart sauce pan and the 2 quart saute pan the most. I have a 10" fry that I use, but I find it to be too small a lot of times. I have a le creuset 5.5 quart pot so I tend to use that for soup and sauces, so I don''t use my 6 quart all clad stock pot too often. The handles - I guess they are a little uncomfortable, but other than getting it out of the cabinet, I find I''m not really grabbing the handles too much (and if I am, I usually have an oven mitt on!) I love that I can move them straight from the cook top to the over - perfect for searing meats and finishing them in the oven.

I had gotten the 7 piece set and received the extra 3.5 quart sauce pan as my bonus (Macy''s). I bought a 2 quart saucier in addition and my hubby got me a 20 quart stock pot for my b-day one year (which actually is the perfect size to brine our turkey every T-day, but I also use it to make huge batches of tomato sauce or any Ina Garten soup recipe). I''d really like the 13" french skillet and possibly another 3.5 quart sauce pan since I find that a very versatile size.

They are heavy, but if you want a quality pot whether it''s all clad or not, it will be heavy.

And I definitely recommend bar keepers friend - it will remove anything effectively, and I have started using it all over my house (seriously even in my bathtub to get rid of soap scum) - it''s a great find overall!

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
ha - I stand corrected - I just went to their website and the stainless line IS dishwasher safe. None of the other ones are though. They also say that metal utensils are fine - I guess if you are worried about scratches on the inside of your pots, you should use plastic. I personally don''t care.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 10:50:01 AM
Author: *~*Danielle*~*
ha - I stand corrected - I just went to their website and the stainless line IS dishwasher safe. None of the other ones are though. They also say that metal utensils are fine - I guess if you are worried about scratches on the inside of your pots, you should use plastic. I personally don''t care.
That''s why I got the all stainless because it should be able to stand lots of wear and tear and last forever.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a big fan of the All-Clad handles--they hurt my hands. I LURVE the Demeyere Atlantis line, though. They have it at Sur La Table if you want to go check it out.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
The all clad copper core is great [especially when you need a pan that distributes heat very evenly]. Unfortunately, they do not make all of the pieces they make in stainless in the copper core. As far as the stainless goes, I can''t comment because I have never tried it.

1895femme

Rough_Rock
I love it and think it is absolutely worth it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, according to Consumer Reports, just because cookware is very expensive, it doesn''t necessarily mean it is that much better than everything else! I did some research and settled on a Cuisinart set with a couple of Analon pieces (frying pan and deeper pot that I cook stews and spaghetti sauce in). I do have a cast iron pan but I never use it.

There is a fabulous deal on one of the sets now at Amazon...read the reviews, they are pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Classic-Stainless-Steel-10-Piece-Cookware/dp/B00008CM68/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1231554663&sr=1-3

This is all I''d want to spend if I was only looking for a set to last 5 years or so. I am pretty sure the Cuisnart was rated higher than Caphalon, but it has been awhile since I did that research. I think the Sam''s set was pretty highly rated as well.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Umm, I want to say yes, because I adore my all-clad stuff, but I''m not sure if it''s worth the money. I got mine at the semi-annual factory sale (it''s in western PA, if anyone''s local) so it came much much cheaper than if I had bought it in a store. It was definitely worth the outlet price!

I do think it''s probably worth it at the end of the day, even if you pay full retail price, because it''s something you''ll have forever. You''d probably do well to buy a piece a year (after you have a few basics) to spread out the cost.

They''re great cookware and you''ll definitely get a ton of use out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results