shape
carat
color
clarity

ALL ABOUT JADE

Dynasty

Rough_Rock
WELCOME EVERYONE,

I've loved jade ever since I was a child. I am currently wearing my jadeite bangle everyday and really enjoy it.
I'm hoping that I can meet people who loves jade, to share stories, experiences, pictures and learn more about this precious stones.

Dynasty

Rough_Rock
Silvermom|1403850916|3701912 said:
Thanks for starting this thread. Hope to learn more about jade as I love the stone.
Hi SilverMom,
Congratulations on your Edward Black, is BEAUTIFUL! Looks great together with your Yukon Snow.
Would love to see some more picture of your gorgeous jade bangles when you have a free time :appl:

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
And my newest is the Edwards Black a nephrite jade. The Edwards is a Black jade and the green one is a Yukon Snow which is also a nephrite jade. All my others are jadeite.

_19451.jpg

makeable

Shiny_Rock
Wow, beautiful collection Silvermom!

I love jade but know very little about what makes a piece valuable. Looking forward to reading about and seeing more jade. :appl:

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
So glad to meet you on this forum. A few years ago, I did not even like jade. Then I started learning all about it and grew to love jade. I did not even know there were different colors of jade as I thought jade was only green or lavender. Then one day someone told me about icy jade and that started me on my quest to get all kinds of colors. How did you get interested in jade makeable? We can all learn together. Glad you can join us.

makeable

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the warm welcome Silvermom.

I've never heard of icy jade. Fascinating! I got interested in jade because my mother loved jade. She didn't own much jewelry. Aside from her wedding ring, a simple green jade pendant on a strand of pearls and a red jade and pearl pin, were her beloved pieces. She also had an intricately carved green jade snuff bottle that she kept in a locked display cabinet. When I was a child she would let me hold it and I was mesmerized by the vibrant color. From that early age, I was hooked!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yummy collection, Silvermom! I love jade too but have only one small cab. 8.98 ct from Dana Reynolds:

I'm planning to ask Sally at HoW to use it for a pendant like this:

Can you post photos of yours, Makeable? We LOVE PHOTOS!

--- Laurie

_19568.jpg

il_149.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

makeable

Shiny_Rock
I wish I could post a photo but I don't own a single piece of jade :((

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Makeable, Jade is very fascinating. It is cold to the touch and changes when you wear it a lot. People say that the more you wear it the deeper the color gets and it get more translucent too. That is why they call it a living stone. I didn't know much about jade and when I got a few pieces I was hooked. I find that they do get shiner and the color gets deeper truly. You may not have many pieces now but you have a whole lifetime to collect and learn. We will all learn together. Dynasty the girl that started this thread has a beautiful collection. I hope she will post so you can see what I mean. I didn't think I would ever like jade but here I am. I will post a picture of icy jade for you now.

p1010024.jpg

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
OOOOOOOOOOOOO so lovely this piece Jewelfreak. Can't wait to see it done up in this adorable pendant. When you get it done can you please post it for us to see. I know I am going to be soooooo jealous. Thanks for sharing. LOVELY

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
OMG Thank you so much Chrono! That article was mucho interesting! I learned a lot. Thank you for sharing. We love learning more about jade. :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silvermom|1403880181|3702065 said:
People say that the more you wear it the deeper the color gets and it get more translucent too.

I hear this a LOT in the Asian community but this is a myth. The only way for jadeite to change its colour is if it has been acid bleached or stained by oxide rust.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, I never ever believed it myself but when I got my jade bangles it really really did change. My lavender one is getting much deeper in color and my brown one is getting more shiny. I can't explain it because how could it but it really is. They say that some people have the ability to change it more than others. I don't understand how it happens. I think the more translucent it is the greater chance for change. My girlfriend's husband who is a professor at a university and studies rocks says it might be because oils and stuff seep into the crevices much like granite when it gets stained. I just know it happened to mine. When I say it changes color I don't mean that the color changes to another color, I mean it gets deeper in color. Thank you so much Chrono, hope we can all learn together. Love getting everones opinions.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silvermom|1403880901|3702078 said:
Chrono, I never ever believed it myself but when I got my jade bangles it really really did change. My lavender one is getting much deeper in color and my brown one is getting more shiny. I can't explain it because how could it but it really is. They say that some people have the ability to change it more than others. I don't understand how it happens. I think the more translucent it is the greater chance for change. My girlfriend's husband who is a professor at a university and studies rocks says it might be because oils and stuff seep into the crevices much like granite when it gets stained. I just know it happened to mine. When I say it changes color I don't mean that the color changes to another color, I mean it gets deeper in color.

If so, wouldn't washing hands in soap, showers and baths remove the oil? I believe it is a myth to make lesser quality jadeite more marketable because not everyone can afford the finer translucent green material. Yes, granite stains but their stains are yellow/brown oxide stains.

http://www.masonkay.com/faq.php#time
Per MasonKay, which is highly regarded, jade is impervious to oil.

Quote:
Will the color of jade change with time?
In the Orient, jade is considered a living thing that is young, then matures and grows green with age. It was said that some people had the ability to make jade turn green more quickly, and that this was a virtue of their mind and body and soul. Alas, interesting myths notwithstanding, this simply will not happen!

Many people even today believe that in times of good health, one's jade grows richer in color, while trauma or illness will drain the color (and absorb the travail). The wearing of jade close to the body was said to ensure health. Interesting though these thoughts may be, there is no evidence that jade will change color. Quite the contrary, jade is impervious to oils, perfumes and most cold acids. Its color is constant, for better or worse.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
One would think so Chrono but it hasn't happened to me. Maybe like my girlfriend's husband says it gets stained. When my kitchen counter granite got stained, I tried everything to bleach it out but it didn't work. Finally I just got black permanent ink and colored over the portion that was stained with the green marker ink. Maybe that's what happens with jade but I am not sure. I think too the more translucent the jade the more chance it has to get deeper. My chinese relatives say that if there is a vein then the jade will change to a deeper color too. I think that jade is so very wonderful, love learning about it. Thanks so much for sharing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1403881084|3702082 said:
Silvermom|1403880901|3702078 said:
Chrono, I never ever believed it myself but when I got my jade bangles it really really did change. My lavender one is getting much deeper in color and my brown one is getting more shiny. I can't explain it because how could it but it really is. They say that some people have the ability to change it more than others. I don't understand how it happens. I think the more translucent it is the greater chance for change. My girlfriend's husband who is a professor at a university and studies rocks says it might be because oils and stuff seep into the crevices much like granite when it gets stained. I just know it happened to mine. When I say it changes color I don't mean that the color changes to another color, I mean it gets deeper in color.

If so, wouldn't washing hands in soap, showers and baths remove the oil? I believe it is a myth to make lesser quality jadeite more marketable because not everyone can afford the finer translucent green material. Yes, granite stains but their stains are yellow/brown oxide stains.

http://www.masonkay.com/faq.php#time
Per MasonKay, which is highly regarded, jade is impervious to oil.

Quote:
Will the color of jade change with time?
In the Orient, jade is considered a living thing that is young, then matures and grows green with age. It was said that some people had the ability to make jade turn green more quickly, and that this was a virtue of their mind and body and soul. Alas, interesting myths notwithstanding, this simply will not happen!

Many people even today believe that in times of good health, one's jade grows richer in color, while trauma or illness will drain the color (and absorb the travail). The wearing of jade close to the body was said to ensure health. Interesting though these thoughts may be, there is no evidence that jade will change color. Quite the contrary, jade is impervious to oils, perfumes and most cold acids. Its color is constant, for better or worse.

Chrono, I know that Mason Kay believes that it doesn't change but I can only go by my experience. I do so respect Mason Kay and in fact have just purchased a piece from them.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1403881759|3702094 said:
This is a very deep rooted belief amongst Chinese which I've been trying (in vain, and in my long one one person quest :lol: ) to dispel in my family and friend circle.

Lots more pictures of lovely jadeite owned by other PSers, including a brief discussion about treatment (Type A, B, etc).
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jade-bangle.184281/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jade-bangle.184281/[/URL]

Chrono, You are truly AWESOME! Thank you for sharing. I will read this when I get back. I know I am really going to enjoy it. Sorry, I have to leave for a bit but I can't wait to read this. So glad to meet you and please post so we can learn more. Talk to you later. Hugs.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1403875627|3702019 said:
Welcome to the CS section. Thought you might find this article interesting. :wavey:
http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/jade_burma_part_1.htm

I love this link.

I don't have anything to add to this thread but I once saw a stunningly green piece of jade set in a ring at a museum. It can be very, very beautiful. I like the lavender jade and lighter toned jade as well the fine green that is super expensive.

Dynasty

Rough_Rock
SilverMom,
Your collection really is BEAUTIFUL! All the color are gorgeous, do you have one of your favorite that you wear more?
Thank you for sharing

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Dynasty|1403889022|3702179 said:
SilverMom,
Your collection really is BEAUTIFUL! All the color are gorgeous, do you have one of your favorite that you wear more?
Thank you for sharing

Thank you Dynasty, Please post your bangles too. Would love to see them. My favorite is this Red one.

p1010020.jpg

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
LoversKites|1403888440|3702172 said:
Chrono|1403875627|3702019 said:
Welcome to the CS section. Thought you might find this article interesting. :wavey:
http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/jade_burma_part_1.htm

I love this link.

I don't have anything to add to this thread but I once saw a stunningly green piece of jade set in a ring at a museum. It can be very, very beautiful. I like the lavender jade and lighter toned jade as well the fine green that is super expensive.

LoversKites, No matter that you don't have anything to add, please join us so we call all learn about jade too. All the colors are beautiful.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1403881759|3702094 said:
This is a very deep rooted belief amongst Chinese which I've been trying (in vain, and in my long one one person quest :lol: ) to dispel in my family and friend circle.

Lots more pictures of lovely jadeite owned by other PSers, including a brief discussion about treatment (Type A, B, etc).
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jade-bangle.184281/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jade-bangle.184281/[/URL]

This thread was very interesting. Thank you for pointing it out to us Chrono.

Silvermom

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1403890585|3702202 said:

Chrono, you always point us to the most interesting articles and threads. Thank you so much. If you have any jade pieces, could you please post them for us. We would LOVE to see your pieces. Don't you just love jade. I have come to love them more than any other gemstone.

Dynasty

Rough_Rock
About jade and color changing, I read it online and it said that fake jade ( Grade B, C ) does change color, after wearing them.
For a while it will become less interesting in color and look dull ( less shinny )
For Grade A quality people that wear their jade for a long time, they say that their jade becomes more translucent.
But not all people that have Grade A jades experience this, say if you had six people with Grade A jades maybe just one or two of them experience the jade becoming more translucent.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, may I join the fun?

Here are some pictures of my Jade pieces.
this one is lighter color with even color.
jaded_b.jpg
another one with little bit of dark spot, but I found a prefect ring to go with.
bangel_redd.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results