shape
carat
color
clarity

Jade Bangle

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Moved to this forum :)

This is gonna be a tough one to answer methinks.

I've recently become enamored with Jade. I live in a province with a lot of darker jade, and have several nice pieces. The lighter color of jade (Burmese? Chinese?) is starting to get my attention.

I know you can pay many thousands for a great quality jade bangle (heck, one made of local stone can be 6.5k). I'm a firm believer that jewelry doesn't have to be expensive to be pretty, but when it comes to jade bangles, do I have to accept that a nice, pretty bangle will cost me several hundred, to several thousand? Is there an online source for those of us who want something pretty, but can't afford those big price tags. Will such a bangle just be a phony dyed mess of blechiness?

Where would I start my education? No bricks and mortar stores where I live for such a thing...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any advice for buying online...in my limited jade buying experience, I learned that the most important thing was 1) whether the jade was treated (filled with glass or dyed). It should ring like a bell if you strike it against another stone. and 2) whether you like how it looks or not. The other thing about it is that once you start to wear it, the colors seem to intensify and become more translucent as it adapts to the wearer. Chinese tradition says that jade is alive, and if it is filled with artificial enhancements it won't have the same glowing effect, and it will also lose its "protective" effects (another topic altogether).

I saw a lot of the Burmese jade and I believe that was the more intense green. I ended up buying a white jade bangle. It's also known as "mutton jade" but it's actually never white when I wear it. It varies between a pale mossy green and a glowy light green (to the point where I had a coworker ask if I was wearing a glow-in-the-dark bracelet :lol: ).
_2154.jpg

I really wanted a translucent light green bangle but couldn't find one my size or in my price range. Also because if you buy bangles that are already translucent, those are going to be the most expensive. Most will become more clear as they are worn but it is hard to see that potential "off the rack" so to speak.
_3058.jpg

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I purchased some nephrite in the past. Mutton fat with some green streaks. Bought it from an estate sale.

"Jade" is sort of interesting in that the chemical structure of tradtional "Jade" is "nephrite," while fine Burmese "Jade" was highly prized later on. Although superficially similar, Burmese Jade turned out to be comprised of a different chemical: "Jadeite!" Now "Jadeite" comprised Jade is far rarer and more valuable, but both chemical structures count are "Jade."

My impression is that both chemicals come in all manner of colors. Go with Nephrite to save your pockets the loneliness. Purists may disagree...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please be very careful and only buy from a reputable seller. There is a flood of "Chinese" Jade on the market at the moment that is not actually jade (but looks like it) :(sad

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jadeite comes in various hues, tone and saturation, no matter the origin. It is true that a good quality piece, even though small, can cost several thousands. I've seen both good quality and poor quality jadeite from Burma. Actually, a lot of jadeite comes from China but is advertised as being from Burma. My caution with online purchases is that there are many pieces that are not jadeite but simulants and/or low quality jadeite (grade B and lower, and those that opaque, etc). It seems to be a cultural myth that jadeite will become clearer and the green intensifies as I've not heard or read about this outside of the Far East.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Sigh. I once had a ring with a piece of very high quality translucent green jade in 22k gold and I lost it! Someone gave it to me when I was 19, and it was loose on my finger but I wore it anyway. I guess I wasn't as responsible with my jewelry back then as I am now. Sad.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Jade and jadeite are greatly similar, but different minerals. They are composed of elements. They are not chemicals.

" Historically, the term jade was applied to any of a number of ornamental materials that could be carved, but most importantly amphibole jade, or nephrite. The rich green material subsequently found in Burma proved to be composed primarily of a different mineral (a pyroxene) and was named jadeite (see Box B). In this article, jade encompasses both jadeite and nephrite in those instances where the general carving material is being referenced, but jadeite or jadeite jade will be used to refer to the rock that is predominantly jadeite, where appropriate." -Richard Hughes

The OP has stated that she lives in a Province with a lot of darker Jade, (nephrite), since it is a province I would guess British Colombia. Her interest seems to be now in the more translucent, better colored green Jadeite.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1358164735|3355104 said:
Jadeite comes in various hues, tone and saturation, no matter the origin. It is true that a good quality piece, even though small, can cost several thousands. I've seen both good quality and poor quality jadeite from Burma. Actually, a lot of jadeite comes from China but is advertised as being from Burma. My caution with online purchases is that there are many pieces that are not jadeite but simulants and/or low quality jadeite (grade B and lower, and those that opaque, etc). It seems to be a cultural myth that jadeite will become clearer and the green intensifies as I've not heard or read about this outside of the Far East.

I was pretty skeptical of these qualities as well, but then I tried on a bangle at a department store. After about a half hour, the crystals seemed to become more clear and there was a green vein that was previously faint and had become more distinguishable after it had been on my arm!

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the correction, VL. Yes, different "minerals" is the correct term and not "chemicals." They have a different "chemical composition"--that would be the proper way to state the difference using the term "chemical."

The OP mentioned they were a). interested in Jade and b). didn't want to spend a fortune getting a nice piece. c). Was looking for a a lighter color, unlike the dark green (presumably often found in BC).

So I suggested they consider Nephrite--which was predominantly the mineral originally designated as Jade, is called Jade, and is macroscopically nearly identical to the mineral jadeite. So a) Nephrite is Jade, b) it is more reasonably priced, and c). It comes in all manner of colors, although perhaps the BC variety tends toward the dark.

But perhaps the OP meant they wanted "Jadeite" exclusively, in which case this might not help, but since they were asking for some information about Jade, I thought I'd give some very basic facts about the stuff known as "Jade" (which has two different chemical compositions--while one is rarer and more expensive).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my jadeite bangle, it was an engagement present from my mother. We bought it with the help of my aunt who specializes in jadeite and nephrite as a collector and already had a lot of connections in the trade. I wouldn't be brave enough to try on my own, lol.

photo_161.jpg

photo_162.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Best trusted jadeite dealer in this country is Mason Kay. They are wonderful and can answer all your questions. As with any stone certification from a reputable lab is a must. In reality, there is no such thing as a good deal for fine jadeite.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Got me.

Except Columbia with a u :))

Small exception: all forms of "jade" are beautiful to me, and I am hesitant to call one form a better color than the other. I get what you meant anyway.

Sigh...your bangles everyone. Sigh.

If I were to get engaged again, I'd forgo the engagement ring and get the best quality jade bangle I could - whatever tickles my fancy be it jadeite or nephrite. I saw a BC nephrite jade bangle the other day that was jaw-dropping. Sure it was darker, but that green was without comparison. That's why I don't compare.

Come tourist season, they can't keep those bad boys on the shelf, where they will go to their new home and be called local jade in a far of country :lol:

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I read that BC jade can be jasper from china.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Well that would make it more expensive than Emperial jadeite/nephrite :lol:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Jasper from China is still Jasper, though some unscrupu louse may try to pass it off as jade.

I think your best bet for finding a good deal will be in a vintage piece, but I would really stress the need to have a good lab report.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I second the vintage idea. Can one get an AGL brief for Jade, or is there some other avenue for Jade verification (and quality reporting, as there are various levels of treatment)?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the link, VL, that helps.

I've seen pictures of "apple jade", and I think AN's ring falls into that category.

Sotheby's and Christies frequently have jade (since the Asian market has become lucrative) pieces, if anyone's interested.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those who are interested to know about jadeite (history, culture, origin, treatment, simulants and more), the linked article is very comprehensive.
http://www.cigem.ca/pdf/jadeite.pdf

Another link from the well known MasonKay, on jadeite and also disputing the myth about jadeite getting greener or more vibrant over time.
http://masonkay.com/faq.php

MTG,
Your bangle is fantastic! Love the colouration and translucency.

jade_bangle.png

jade_earrings.png

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
My sister and I have inherited some jade pieces that belonged to my Mom. She must have collected them in the 60s and 70s. I know she didn't spend a lot of money on them.

How can I tell if it's real jade?

Even if they aren't worth much, they cannot be replaced because my Mom wore them and loved them. Green was her favorite color.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have met the Mason brothers and they are great folks.
I live 45 minutes south of Burma so I see a lot of Jadeite and a lot that is not, as well as much that is in between. Once they lift the ban about selling it again then we can get excited. Currently I have been busy hoarding it as prices are a little down, plus, word is that lifting the ban will cause renewed interest and will raise prices. Bear Williams has a great lab for testing Jade called Stone Group Lab in Missouri. Best regards, Lee

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I understand that the Mason bros are reputable (according to you guys) but what is the science behind the non-existent color change? I wish they would explain that on the website because that would be interesting. Because I have definitely seen it with my own eyes. I don't believe it's anything to do with body spirits/aura but likely a temperature thing. A friend's grandmother used to keep her bangle in the freezer before she wore it because the color would change more drastically.

Chrono that's a pretty bangle and earrings!

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Bear Williams' lab (SGL) only does testing for the trade, at least according to their website.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGL in NY tests jadeite.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
From what I've read grade a jadeite does not change color.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh. I've also heard that jade is sensitive to being overly dry. Maybe the color change with wear is related to oil or sweat over a long period?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heart, heart, heart ArtNouveau's ring. Stunning. As for the bangles, I love the ones that are not one consistent color, like the white ones with the bright green, like evergreens growing in the snow...

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1358371810|3357173 said:
I heart, heart, heart ArtNouveau's ring. Stunning. As for the bangles, I love the ones that are not one consistent color, like the white ones with the bright green, like evergreens growing in the snow...

I love this Minousbijoux! So true and what a lovely way to describe it :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results