shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite Real or Synthetic?

Rae50

Rough_Rock
This was my class ring from high school, back in 1987. I just came across it as I was cleaning out old boxes. I was told that it was a real alexandrite, but am now realizing that most are not. It doesn't always look this color. This is how it looks in the house, under regular lights. When I use to go to church as a teen, the lights there would make it look purple with blue... like it was reflecting the light and colors out of the stone. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see it in the sunlight again.

Attachments

• IMG_6085.jpeg
    IMG_6085.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 73

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
How much was it?

Highly likely to be synthetic.

Rae50

Rough_Rock
How much was it?

Highly likely to be synthetic.

I paid $400 in 1987. According to inflation calculators that would be about $900 in 2020. But I don't know the cost inflation of the alexandrite since then.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I paid $400 in 1987. According to inflation calculators that would be about $900 in 2020. But I don't know the cost inflation of the alexandrite since then.

No way it's natural for that price

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most likely synthetic color change corundum which was very prevalent back then in school rings.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexandrite is green/ blue in daylight and purple/ red under incandescent lighting.
Alexandrite are not only a rare gem, they are very very expensive.
In 3 carat plus sizes, $30,000 a carat or more.
Virtually all Class rings use lab grown sapphire as these lab gems are economical to use and high on Mohos (9) so less prone to abrasion. 2A4E5DB7-86AF-45D8-AF52-CB012BE04897.jpeg 95FF289A-0B1F-4E2C-BA55-9D4372A9B297.jpeg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of those style of rings have synthetics/lab created stones in them...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ive never seen a class ring except in the movies
yours is very pretty
I hope you still wear it, synthetic or not

Rae50

Rough_Rock
Ive never seen a class ring except in the movies
yours is very pretty
I hope you still wear it, synthetic or not

I can't wear it... doesn't quite fit over the knuckle anymore. I was wondering if the stone was worth enough to make sense to place it in a new setting. But I guess not. Back into a box it'll go. :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't wear it... doesn't quite fit over the knuckle anymore. I was wondering if the stone was worth enough to make sense to place it in a new setting. But I guess not. Back into a box it'll go. :)

Oh that's so sad
Do you have a daughter ?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It’s not too expensive to have it resized, made a little bit bigger. They just add a small amount of extra gold and then you can enjoy wearing it again.

Rae50

Rough_Rock
This is the ring in daylight. I tried to take the picture of the stone from the front instead of the side, but the picture didn't look like the color I was seeing until I accidentally snapped it from the side (Thats why it was blurry, I was actually putting my phone away frustration) , but the color seen here is what it looks like to me when outside in natural light.

IMG_8858.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want confirmation one way or the other you could send the ring off to AGL for a report, but for larger size gems set in a ring it’s expensive, like $445.
You could try finding a jeweller or Pawnbroker with a Presidium gem tester. While this can’t confirm the gem is an Alexandrite, if the gem tests as Spinel or Sapphire (as in lab grown material) it is indicative that the gem definately isn’t Alexandrite.
Natural Alexandrites are rare and very expensive in larger sizes and given that the ring is in 10kt gold and a Class ring, I think very unlikely that the gemstone will be a natural Alexandrite.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results