shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite or Color change stone?

is it an alexandrite or a color change garnet?

• yes it is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no it isn't

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

muddy sparx

Rough_Rock
Hello im new here i live in Tanzania and im currently in posession of a gemstone the trouble is that im not sure whether its a color change garnet or alexandrite i have taken it to a local lab for testing but i was given two different readings it seems as though the lab tester himself doesnt really know becoz he characterized it as color change garnet but i think its an alexandrite it portrays a wide range of colors such as green and greenish blue in day light and in incandescent it displays a ruby red color ... also in candle light it displays a brownish orange carrot like color iv tested all physical colors of the stone and its clearly an alexandrite ... please someone help me on this

wx_camera_1494298433113.jpg

muddy sparx

Rough_Rock
This is how it looks in green state .... it depends on how u shine the light on the stone from different angles you get different colors

wx_camera_1494298915347.jpg

MissouriRiverSapphireCo

Rough_Rock
Trade
Tanzania produces both color change sapphire and alexandrite in small amounts. Both stones are dichroic, can occur in the same color ranges, and can exhibit color shift or change in different lights. There is also a chance it could be a tourmaline or ? Nobody can give you a positive ID based on a picture, or based solely on the color. And this piece is alluvial in origin, meaning no original crystal form is left to give us clues. Bottom line - you will need a gemologist or someone with those skillsets and equipment to ID this stone. What kind of "readings" did your local lab get, and with what instrument?

muddy sparx

Rough_Rock
According to him he said the differentiation is due to the density of both stones alexandrites density is 3.74 to 3.8 while color change garnet is 3.75 to above ... at first the reading read 3.94 and the second time it read about 3.8something thats where i'm befundled because he said (casually) "lets just put it in color change or malaia class" and the instruments he used were a bit local

muddy sparx

Rough_Rock
Oh and if there is somwhere or someone who you can recommend concerning this stone of mine please let me know even if an online trusted website or country anything concerning these type of stones .... thank you

muddy sparx

Rough_Rock
Tanzania produces both color change sapphire and alexandrite in small amounts. Both stones are dichroic, can occur in the same color ranges, and can exhibit color shift or change in different lights. There is also a chance it could be a tourmaline or ? Nobody can give you a positive ID based on a picture, or based solely on the color. And this piece is alluvial in origin, meaning no original crystal form is left to give us clues. Bottom line - you will need a gemologist or someone with those skillsets and equipment to ID this stone. What kind of "readings" did your local lab get, and with what instrument?
The lab used is an international lab called African minerals and geo-science centre (AMGC) its an international lab but my concern is why should he have got two different readings instead of 1 constant result also he was unsure of the results because he said to either classify it as a malaia garnet or change color garnet .. meaning he doesnt know his job i think . The lab is international but the personnel are local so ......

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are shining the same light, but from different angles, and seeing different colors, then it certainly is not a garnet.
Using specific gravity to identify a stone is very difficult especially on a small stone as you would need a scale that is accurate to 4 decimal places or more.

Polish a small flat on it and measure the Refractive Index. Could be tourmaline.

muddy sparx

Rough_Rock
It shines different colors from different angles by usong the same light . If not a garnet what is it?

muddy sparx

Rough_Rock
If you are shining the same light, but from different angles, and seeing different colors, then it certainly is not a garnet.
Using specific gravity to identify a stone is very difficult especially on a small stone as you would need a scale that is accurate to 4 decimal places or more.

Polish a small flat on it and measure the Refractive Index. Could be tourmaline.
Why do you say it could be a tourmaline? What are the characteristics that make it compatible or for you to think that its a tourmaline please elaborate

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tourmaline is very dichroic, and you could certainly see these two color depending on which axis the light is directed to. Also, I have seen may tourmaline from East Africa that look very similar to your photos. If you could polish a small surface and get a RI reading, it would almost certainly identify the stone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I have an East African alluvial tourmaline that shows those two colors...

muddy sparx

Rough_Rock
Tourmaline is very dichroic, and you could certainly see these two color depending on which axis the light is directed to. Also, I have seen may tourmaline from East Africa that look very similar to your photos. If you could polish a small surface and get a RI reading, it would almost certainly identify the stone.
Is it possible to give me your email or any app that you use so that i can send you a video of how the color changes in different angles with the same light

muddy sparx

Rough_Rock
Yep, I have an East African alluvial tourmaline that shows those two colors...
I would like some proffessional advices ... any one interested in helping please write down either email or number if your using whatsapp or wechat so that i can send a video of the stine maybe then you can help me clarify

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would like some proffessional advices ... any one interested in helping please write down either email or number if your using whatsapp or wechat so that i can send a video of the stine maybe then you can help me clarify

You think people are going to give you their personal contact details on a public forum?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you have been given some professional advice.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a forum for consumers who like gemstones; with few exceptions, this is not a place frequented by Trade members. If you want professional opinions, look elsewhere.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results