shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite - I'm not satisfied with the appraisal & inconsistencies...

alexAnnduh

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,
I want to start with these questions: What is this Alexandrite stone worth? Is it truly natural/earth-mined? And what is the total value of the ring? (Pictures below)
Other advice is welcomed on how to proceed. Please note I have sent the ring back to the seller as they are finding an "unbiased gemologist to do a second appraisal at no cost to me."

Background: I bought the ring simply because it is beautiful & would love to wear it with my future wedding band. I am not buying this ring as a return on investment and have no plans on selling it. BUT, I want to make sure that this is worth the price I paid. I became a little......well temperamentally freaked out that I overpaid. With research came more questions and I also want to believe that this is a natural/earth-mined Alexandrite and not synthetic/lab-grown. I stumbled upon this forum and read up on this thread from 2012.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ly-got-an-alexandrite-read-this-first.179784/

GIA Gemologist Appraisal: My first thought after purchasing it was "I should have an appraisal done" - I did just that. I went to a GIA-certified gemologist in my local town. The result is the first picture. Based on the 2012 thread there are some confident markers such as the gem-only being .63 carat, Eye clean yet has inclusions, To my eye the Alex is emerald green in daylight, but won't photograph green. It is purple at night and is probably cut from an older stone since it is heart-shaped and the IGI certificate says 2018. the refractive index falls within the 1.741 - 1.760, but the range is higher on the appraisal report. I also found out that Brazilian Alexandrites take on a more blue tone which is what mine is claiming to be. So that lines up.

Inconsistencies: The first inconsistency that I noticed was with the IGI certificate that came with the ring. I looked up IGI reports and modern-day ones didn't match with this one. I also was not able to find the report on the IGI website UNTIL I contacted the seller. Based on the 2012 thread regarding inclusions: synthetics have gas bubbles, curved striations, or even feathers. Mine looks to have all of those. And lastly, any more information on mining in Brazil? I still assume this gemstone was cut from a previous stone. That kind of freaked me out to wonder if I had something authentic.

GIA-certified Gemologist Appraisal
20240126_130300.jpg

Striation pictures
striation.JPG
striation 2.JPG

The certificate that came with the ring - notice that the weight is .62 versus the .63 on the appraiser. This means either I got a bonus of .01 carat or the appraiser made mistakes which drives me crazy.
certificate.JPG

The certificate appeared on IGI.org after I called the seller.

new cert.JPG

Other pictures (using a flashlight at various angles)

purple 1.JPG purple 2.JPG pink 1.JPG gray blue.JPG green blue.JPG

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
I can’t answer the more technical aspects of your question, but if you’re concerned that you may have a synthetic, I would send it off to AGL. They are the gold standard when it comes to colored stones. Can you get a refund from the seller if you aren’t satisfied with your purchase?

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
"I want to start with these questions: What is this Alexandrite stone worth? Is it truly natural/earth-mined? And what is the total value of the ring?"

First off, gemstone pricing is all over the place. You will pay the most at brick & mortar jewelry stores in any country but also any internet dealer that sales at those prices too.

So, no one can tell you what the ring is worth, but it might help greatly if you tell us what you paid.

Market prices are all over the place depending on the demographic incomes of a city, a state (rural or urban) or a country.

If not sure whether the stone is earth mined it should go to a dedicated lab, not an appraiser and again that appraiser will only appraise the ring for their market area and most likely insurance purposes which is always higher than retail replacement prices.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BUT, I want to make sure that this is worth the price I paid. I became a little......well temperamentally freaked out that I overpaid.

Fellow alex: we all overpay and for almost everything. The questions are: is it genuine and untreated, and do you love it?

Most "appraisals" are completely useless. Yours looks remarkably sophisticated. That does not mean it is accurate but it helps. Your appraised weight was a mounted estimate. I don't know how one does that for a heart but getting within 1% seems pretty good!

If yours is truly "emerald green" in daylight, as you write (and if you have seen a lot of emeralds), it must be among the world's finest. I seriously doubt that someone would waste a boatload of material to cut a heart-shaped stone from world-class rough. So we may have differing expectations going in.

I agree with sending it to AGL. But even that will not tell you if you got your money's worth since it's all about the two colors.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly you need a reputable gem lab not another random gemologist. The main reason being the facilities and testing equipment available and used by a reknown and reputable gem lab.
Alexandrite is difficult to photograph unless you use a controlled environment with light sources with the specific wavelength frequency for daylight and incandescent. Most cameras, especially mobile phone cameras, auto adjust. With my Russian Alexandrite using my iPhone I have many different photos and none are the same. It seems that both time of day and time of year affect the photo result.
A .01 difference is carat weight is inconsequential as you don’t know if it was a calculator rounding issue ie 0.624 vs 0.625 resulting in 0.62 vs 0.63. Furthermore unless a gemstone is assessed out of its mounting, carat weight will be assumed using dimensions and known Specific gravity.
Alexandrite are expected to have some inclusions, it’s a gem characteristic. And yes, there is lab grown colour change chrysoberyl that with all standard tests can’t be differentiated from natural. Again, a large reputable lab can run additional sophisticated testing to determine whether natural or lab grown.
I would recommend sending to AGL, they can assess it in the setting though a full report will require you to de mount the gem prior to sending it off for assessment and then having it reset after its return. Additional costs maybe $200 depending on your jeweller.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Firstly you need a reputable gem lab not another random gemologist. The main reason being the facilities and testing equipment available and used by a reknown and reputable gem lab.
Alexandrite is difficult to photograph unless you use a controlled environment with light sources with the specific wavelength frequency for daylight and incandescent. Most cameras, especially mobile phone cameras, auto adjust. With my Russian Alexandrite using my iPhone I have many different photos and none are the same. It seems that both time of day and time of year affect the photo result.
A .01 difference is carat weight is inconsequential as you don’t know if it was a calculator rounding issue ie 0.624 vs 0.625 resulting in 0.62 vs 0.63. Furthermore unless a gemstone is assessed out of its mounting, carat weight will be assumed using dimensions and known Specific gravity.
Alexandrite are expected to have some inclusions, it’s a gem characteristic. And yes, there is lab grown colour change chrysoberyl that with all standard tests can’t be differentiated from natural. Again, a large reputable lab can run additional sophisticated testing to determine whether natural or lab grown.
I would recommend sending to AGL, they can assess it in the setting though a full report will require you to de mount the gem prior to sending it off for assessment and then having it reset after its return. Additional costs maybe $200 depending on your jeweller.

you don’t have to unmount it to get an origin report. AGL will tell you the strength of the color change, which along with origin, factors into the price.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
+1 to getting a lab report from a reputable gem lab. If you’re wanting to know whether it’s a natural alexandrite, I believe either AGL or GIA would work well.

(note, this is not sending it to a GIA trained gemologist. it’s sending it to GIA for a lab report)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. The online IGI report shows up when I type in the report number. That would lend me to believe it is a natural Alexandrite, but as other forum members have advised, it would be a good idea to send it to AGL for piece of mind.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
? I still assume this gemstone was cut from a previous stone.
Why?

GIA-certified Gemologist Appraisal
Did they unmount the stone? Accuracy of weight and measurements can’t be expected/had if still mounted?

The IGI lab report would bug me just for the fact their picture on reports used is generic?

I have sent the ring back to the seller as they are finding an "unbiased gemologist to do a second appraisal at no cost to me."
The seller paying the appraisal doesn’t make it unbiased.
I understand you are wary of overpaying - but not sure how the seller getting another appraisal will help?

Previous suggestions for AGL/GIA lab report - which is just the beginning to go to an independent appraisal for their opinion on value. Which may or may not meet up with your sellers retail price.
How many other rings that are similar and available for sale you can find for comps?

alexAnnduh

Rough_Rock
I can’t answer the more technical aspects of your question, but if you’re concerned that you may have a synthetic, I would send it off to AGL. They are the gold standard when it comes to colored stones. Can you get a refund from the seller if you aren’t satisfied with your purchase?

Thank you for the information. It does seem like based on the other responses sending it off to AGL would be the best bet. I can get a refund, but time is ticking. I only have until the seller has the appraisal completed. It seems my course of action is to ask the seller to send it off to AGL and if they refuse to return it.

alexAnnduh

Rough_Rock
Why?

Did they unmount the stone? Accuracy of weight and measurements can’t be expected/had if still mounted?

The IGI lab report would bug me just for the fact their picture on reports used is generic?

The seller paying the appraisal doesn’t make it unbiased.
I understand you are wary of overpaying - but not sure how the seller getting another appraisal will help?

Previous suggestions for AGL/GIA lab report - which is just the beginning to go to an independent appraisal for their opinion on value. Which may or may not meet up with your sellers retail price.
How many other rings that are similar and available for sale you can find for comps?

I agree with you on these points. The stone was unmounted for the appraisal. And it did bug me to on the IGI report. And I don't believe having another appraisal will help, it was more so confirming that this was others' opinions.
I haven't been able to find other rings exactly like this. I've mostly been looking at GemsNY.com to compare the gemstone prices.

Anyway thank you for taking the time to respond it looks like sending to AGL is the best way to go.

alexAnnduh

Rough_Rock
Since I can't edit my post & for anyone searching in the future. My ring came back as $13,500 in appraisal. I feel okay since I paid $10k, but more of a lesson going forward to wheel and deal a bit more.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be basing value not on an appraisal obtained through the seller (if I'm understanding correctly?) but from reliable sources such as Multicolour. For some reason, heart-shaped alex while not common, do pop up from time to time. Here is a link to one of the Brazilian alex hearts from MC: https://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1461293827

I love Brazilian alex and I hope you love your ring!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Paging @LD

Reactions: LD

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appraisals are retail value only and provided for insurance purposes. The value of what you could sell it at is typically much much lower.

Agreed. I think comparison to somewhere reputable like multicolor is a much better way to figure out true value

Reactions: T L

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Usually Alexandrite will glow red under UV light, your report says "inert". I would tend to think you may have either a color change sapphire, or a lab created color change corundum to imitate alexandrite. Every piece of lab gown alexandrite I have seen has a very strong UV red reaction.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so first of all thank you for reading the thread I posted about how to know if you have an Alex. It’s reassuring to know that I don’t have to go over everything again!

So let’s first of all make sure this is a genuine Alex. From what you’ve said I would think it is BUT there are a couple of things that make me pause ie the inert comment (as picked up by @PrecisionGem above) because typically Alex fluoresce red due to the chromium content. So I would suggest you send it to AGL because you need 100% confirmation.

Just to explain why you need surety, not only have you paid a high price for this, you need to make sure of what you have. The stone by itself, IF it were eye clean with a superb colour change would probably be around $5000 but that’s for top quality. The thing that goes against your stone is that it’s under 1ct so there’s a ceiling as to what people will pay. The colour change is THE most important factor. If you look at my avatar that’s been mistaken for an Emerald in daytime but at night it’s a gorgeous purple red with the occasional pink flash. If the stone has areas that doesn’t change then that affects the price as well (as well as clarity and cut of course).

I once bought an Alex heart that came from a reputable dealer. I had a gut feeling it wasn’t right. It looked like an Alex but something made me hesitate. I showed it to two gemologists who both thought it was real but the only way to be sure was to send it off. It turned out to be a synthetic colour changing sapphire (an incredibly good one but definitely not an Alex). So the people who have been looking at your stone won’t have the equipment to put it through its paces! So you need to get AGL to look at it. That way you’ll have peace of mind.

If it’s a blue green then it may well be from Brazil so it might be worth asking AGL to comment on locality (although locality is less important than with other stones).

So if this then turns out to be an Alex have you paid too much? I have only skimmed the comments above but I think you paid over $10k If that’s correct then yes, in all honesty you’ve paid a premium unless the ring is platinum with lots of diamonds. However there are very few Alex hearts on the market so it’s not a stone you’ll be able to compare easily on a like for like basis. If you love the ring and it turns out to be an Alex then forget the cost and just love that you have a unique and rare piece of jewellery on your finger!

As for the valuations? £13,500 for a .63/.62ct Alex ring is very high. However I suspect it’s for insurance purposes (so normally inflated). If you were to try to sell this you probably would only get $4,000 - which is depressing but I’m afraid the sad fact about resale of jewellery.

Good luck and I’m looking forward to hearing if you get it checked out.

alexAnnduh

Rough_Rock
Thank you for taking the time to look at my posts and type up your comments. I really appreciate that & completely agree the only peace of mind I could truly have is by sending it to AGL. That is the end all be all. And that was a great point by PrecisionGem on the color changing sapphire. @LD @PrecisionGem
My last question based on the AGL price list, what level of report do you think I would need?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is very personal because it depends what you want to do it for. If it’s just for identification (so you can return it) there’s no need to get an expensive report. I think what I would do is ask them to run the Gembrief option but if it is identified as an Alex to then do one of the more expensive reports so you always have it with the stone and don’t have to send it to AGL again.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That refractive index measurement of 1.773 is too high for alexandrite.

Definitely fits with corundum but the range on the GIA appraiser’s report is wrong so I’m wondering if they actually carried out any tests? If they didn’t then …… this might be an Alex based in the IGI report!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Definitely fits with corundum but the range on the GIA appraiser’s report is wrong so I’m wondering if they actually carried out any tests? If they didn’t then …… this might be an Alex based in the IGI report!

But even the IGI refractive index is out of range for Alexandrite. Should be 1.746 to 1.755
combine that with inert response to UV light I would really question this being alexandrite.

I wonder how the GIA Gemoligist came up with the specific gravity measurement. Was the stone removed from the setting? The SG is inline with alexandrite, but if the stone wasn’t removed, did they just add the correct value with out actually weighing the loose stone?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it’s tricky without a good reliable lab report.
I have 5 colour change gems from the gem haul. They show an appropriate colour change for Alexandrite, the SG is within range, they react to UV (can’t check refractive index myself) however there’s no way they could be Alexandrite. I figure older type lab grown Alex which isn’t common but exists. So you can think all your “ducks line up” but not necessarily. Because Alexandrite is so expensive I definitely think a reputable lab report is required to be certain.
IMG_1891.jpeg IMG_1888.jpeg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But even the IGI refractive index is out of range for Alexandrite. Should be 1.746 to 1.755
combine that with inert response to UV light I would really question this being alexandrite.

I wonder how the GIA Gemoligist came up with the specific gravity measurement. Was the stone removed from the setting? The SG is inline with alexandrite, but if the stone wasn’t removed, did they just add the correct value with out actually weighing the loose stone?

Totally agree which is why I’m wondering just how accurate this “appraisal” is and I’m leaning more towards the IGI report being more accurate. If so, that would be good news for the poster.

alexAnnduh

Rough_Rock
"I wonder how the GIA Gemoligist came up with the specific gravity measurement. Was the stone removed from the setting?"

Yes the stone was removed from the mounting with the $4000 GIA Gemologist appraisal. The NYGLab $13,500 appraisal the stone was NOT removed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results