shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite dealer on ebay - someone was asking about last night

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 5:57:19 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 3/26/2009 1:47:30 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 3/26/2009 12:44:47 PM
TL, didn't shaundrice's alex's come back as authentic? I believe that was the thread that disappeared and I didn't get to read all of it, but I was very interested in the outcome of that one.
Yes, his alex's came back as 'natural' deemed by the GIA. This thread and another one, in which he made some inappropriate comments, were deleted by the moderators.
Thanks TL. The last I saw the thread, someone asked why one of the Alex's GIA reports seemed covered in the comments section. He posted a closeup of the comments, but it was the other stone's report. It did seem obviously covered to me, so I was curious if he did post what it said (if anything). I don't doubt he got it certed and it came back natural, but wanted to know if the GIA said anything further.
Ooooooo I missed all this! Note to self: pay more attention!!! I'd be interested to hear what happened as well.

Stupid question (and I genuinely don't know the answer to this)...... if somebody submitted a doublet for certification what would come back on the report????? I'm not suggesting for a moment that this is what happened to Shaun's. Just a random thought process!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 5:57:19 PM

Date: 3/26/2009 1:47:30 PM

Date: 3/26/2009 12:44:47 PM
TL, didn''t shaundrice''s alex''s come back as authentic? I believe that was the thread that disappeared and I didn''t get to read all of it, but I was very interested in the outcome of that one.
Yes, his alex''s came back as ''natural'' deemed by the GIA. This thread and another one, in which he made some inappropriate comments, were deleted by the moderators.
Thanks TL. The last I saw the thread, someone asked why one of the Alex''s GIA reports seemed covered in the comments section. He posted a closeup of the comments, but it was the other stone''s report. It did seem obviously covered to me, so I was curious if he did post what it said (if anything). I don''t doubt he got it certed and it came back natural, but wanted to know if the GIA said anything further.
If I recall, the report stated "Natural Alexandrite" and gave the color change (green to red/purple).

It is possible it came back as natural alexandrite, but I am unaware if the GIA has the ability to tell some of these highly deceptive synthetics. I know you had to have your synthetic pad tested by an x-ray spectography machine at the AGTA. Again, I hope someone in the gemological profession can chime in and give information about what/how much the GIA can detect as far as colored gems are concerned.

I would send a diamond, especially a colored diamond, to the GIA. However, it''s not the first and foremost lab for colored stones. Colored gems are such a different ball of wax.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL - do you know what happens if the stone is a doublet? Sorry, but I posted the question on the previous page and you may not see it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 6:04:27 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
TL - do you know what happens if the stone is a doublet? Sorry, but I posted the question on the previous page and you may not see it!
No I do not LD, sorry. However, I would imagine a doublet is extremely easy to detect and it would state this on the GIA report. A synthetic alexandrite is another story. I had hoped SR would send the alexandrites to the AGTA, and I had mentioned this to him before, but he opted to send them to the GIA instead. Well maybe it''s enough, but I don''t know.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 6:07:03 PM

Date: 3/26/2009 6:04:27 PM
No I do not LD, sorry. However, I would imagine a doublet is extremely easy to detect and it would state this on the GIA report. A synthetic alexandrite is another story. I had hoped SR would send the alexandrites to the AGTA, and I had mentioned this to him before, but he opted to send them to the GIA instead. Well maybe it''s enough, but I don''t know.
Yes I agree, a doublet would be easy to detect but I wondered what a report would say? Presumably it would state natural Alexandrite and the colour change but I presume it would then have to state that it was a doublet that''s assuming that they would even do a report on a doublet????? If I recall Shaun said his were most definitely not doublets.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL for the info!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, Shaun insisted from day one they were natural alexandrites. He made that very clear to me when I questioned him about it the first time. I was just showing concern because he had obtained them from ebay.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 6:15:50 PM
No, Shaun insisted from day one they were natural alexandrites. He made that very clear to me when I questioned him about it the first time. I was just showing concern because he had obtained them from ebay.
I remember it vividly TL!!!!!
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember reading that thread too TL. I guess some just like to show, but don''t care for people on this forum watching out for them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For that price, I would probably have the stone taken out and sent to the AGTA. Sorry.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 6:27:09 PM
Author: soberguy
I''m not sure if whoever this is for is reading it, but i found this, and WOW!

http://www.rauantiques.com/29-1694.html
Goodness me, what a rip off! Daft money and certainly not realistic and the colour change doesn''t look fantastic either! Maybe I should sell them my 3ct Alex!
31.gif

I agree with you TL - That''d be straight to AGTA! Mind you, I wouldn''t buy it at that price!

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to all who might be curious or interrested i have bought a lot of alexandrite off of ebay-have gotten good prices-have met many good people-all my stones have been appraised and verified as real-this is an alex pendent with 4+cts of alex & 4+cts of catseye-the green shows pretty well & under proper light it changes to a purpley-reddish color-again the real stuff...

m004a.JPG

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
the appraisers i use have seen quite a lot of synthetic by people who have had the stones in family for many years and were told it was real only to find otherwise-the items still look good but the sweetness has been lost by reality of what they actually have. i notice that a lot of sellers do tell what they are selling but in a lot of descriptions the word lab or synthetic seems to be hidden in text or given out on questioning further about the item for sale-one has to do homework but good deals are there to be had...for what its worth-my 2cents...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Steve,
Nice to see you around. There are very obvious synthetics and simulants, I agree. However, there are some great synthetics out there that are even fooling the experts. In the gem world, you really need to be on top of all the latest treatments and synthetics in order to not be duped.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
TL-a friend-i have noticed recently that the chinese are selling a lot of treated stones-paraibas-tanzanites-tourmalines are begining to show signs of treatment-not just the chinese-but a few bad guys out there are dumping lots of questionable stuff on the market-almost anything one buys on 2-days market should be checked by an independent prof. just for peice-of-mind. as you know-alot of gems-of-the-earth are nothing more than poop-on-the-shoe-just be aware-enjoy...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the information Steve. You''e a very nice person.
emsmile.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 6:54:58 PM

Date: 3/26/2009 6:27:09 PM
Author: soberguy
I''m not sure if whoever this is for is reading it, but i found this, and WOW!

http://www.rauantiques.com/29-1694.html
Goodness me, what a rip off! Daft money and certainly not realistic and the colour change doesn''t look fantastic either! Maybe I should sell them my 3ct Alex!
31.gif

I agree with you TL - That''d be straight to AGTA! Mind you, I wouldn''t buy it at that price!
Such a huge and expensive piece. The vendor is certainly reputable and high end, and I''m sure the prospective buyer would prefer a AGTA cert for that alex too. I''d make them pop that puppy out for testing with that price. I know capturing colour change on camera is a difficult task so I''d give them the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results