shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite -- blue green to purple

kah42

Shiny_Rock
Hello all! I'm a June birthday, so one of my birthstones is Alexandrite. After seeing a few in person, I've become quite interested in them -- but I don't know the first thing about buying one! I'm thinking about eventually putting together a ring, simple but probably with some antique flair, with the star of the show being a vivid, deep alexandrite that changes from blue-green to purple. Does anyone have any tips on places to search for this kind of stone?

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Start with the recommended sellers list, set your parameters (shape, % color change, carat weight) and most importantly set a realistic budget (you won't find a 3 carats alexandrite for 200$). Buy a certified stone (some here think GIA has lax criteria for alexandrite in the sense that they call any colour change chrysoberyl an alexandrite, I agree with them, still GIA is an excellent and reputable lab). Russian origin must me backed up by a certificate as it commands a premium price (historically good material). Ask for pictures (a good seller will accommodate you even though alexandrite isn't easy to photograph). Don't expect a lot of precision/custom cuts, alexandrite is cut for maximum display of colour change and weight retention.
Make sure the seller has solid return policy and pay with a secure method like PayPal.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Alexandrite is hard to find. It is expensive.
Firstly be aware that there are some excellent looking lab grown Alexandrite, so you are needing a reputable lab report. Reputable is key. Don’t be fooled by a stated “Russian” label. Origin is extremely difficult to determine, it requires identifying inclusions that are only attributed to Russian Alexandrite and such inclusions may or may not be present. So buy on quality not supposed origin.
Alexandrite is colour change Chrysoberyl, usually blue / green to purple / red but also yellowish green to brownish.
Size is a key driver of price. Alexandrite over 2 carats is rare and very expensive. Most important criteria is strength of colour change and % of change. Very few gems are close to 100% change.
Most gems tend to look better in either normal light or incandescent light yet most inside light sources can be a combination of the two light frequencies and you end up with a “meh” looking colour.
Always buy from a vendor who will allow you to return the gem if after viewing it in person and in your lighting conditions the gem doesn’t appeal. What you see on websites and in photos / videos can be misleading.
There isn’t a huge selection of vendors who sell Alexandrite, it’s a rarer gem, so you might need to be patient with your search.
Enjoy your searching, it’s fun.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What us your budget for just the stone?

kah42

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the help so far!

What us your budget for just the stone?

I'm still in the very early stages of the project so I don't have a set budget for the stone, but I was tentatively thinking around 2k. I don't need a very large stone, my bigger focus would be on the colors.

Is there a big visual difference (or in strength of stone) between lab and natural?

Thanks again!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the help so far!

I'm still in the very early stages of the project so I don't have a set budget for the stone, but I was tentatively thinking around 2k. I don't need a very large stone, my bigger focus would be on the colors.

Is there a big visual difference (or in strength of stone) between lab and natural?

Thanks again!
For $2k, it will have to be a very small stone to get strong color shift and good color ways.

Lab stones are nice, especially in smaller sizes. We’re really not supposed to discuss synthetic stones on this forum, so I cannot go too in depth.

kah42

Shiny_Rock
For $2k, it will have to be a very small stone to get strong color shift and good color ways.

Lab stones are nice, especially in smaller sizes. We’re really not supposed to discuss synthetic stones on this forum, so I cannot go too in depth.

Thanks for the help -- I'm just starting to look into this project so I am clueless about general pricing. Do you know about how much a decent stone would be in the 1/2 to 1 carat range?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the help -- I'm just starting to look into this project so I am clueless about general pricing. Do you know about how much a decent stone would be in the 1/2 to 1 carat range?

Would probably just be faster for you to start looking at some vendors to get an idea of price. I'm providing a link to a reputable seller who specializes in alex. I searched for alex between .5 and 1 ct and these are the ones he has, apparently nothing under $2,000, unfortunately:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about that! For some reason, it just made it a generic url to his website. But its easy for you to navigate to alex from there - and then, at the bottom of the page, refine your search to the parameters you seek. Please come back with eye candy if you have any stones you're considering!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@minousbijoux best me to it. ;-) She provided a reputable alexandrite vendor and searched the prices on his site for you.

kah42

Shiny_Rock
Oh, that is a great site! Thank you both :) Looks like I need to increase the budget, which may stall the project for a bit (I do have a big birthday in 2 years). In the meantime, I'll be able to watch the inventory, drool a bit, and figure out more of what I like. :dance:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It ought to be fun to see some stones, just to get a feel of the colors and change. There are never many alexandrites around, and I have not heard of a new find for years - likely because I have lost track of such news. Much that I remember, having one of the colours look its part in the expected light - as opposed to tinted brown or slate, is already rare & intensely coloured stones with both strong colors and stark change are difficult to pass up - see one before buying anything, IMHO. The most memorable stone I have seen was on someone's hand - unusually light tone, but wonderful change - lilac to bluish green!, not small & a perfect cushion. There must be more & the light colors might be much less than the stratospheric - classic tones, but I have not seen another [without inquiring]; relatively light & clean moss green / russet is more possible & there is a beautiful one talked about here. [TMI!]

This should be fun.

Intrigued - www

One more - www

& There must be some small cat's eye alexandrite around to play with.

2p

Last edited:

kah42

Shiny_Rock
It ought to be fun to see some stones, just to get a feel of the colors and change. There are never many alexandrites around, and I have not heard of a new find for years - likely because I have lost track of such news. Much that I remember, having one of the colours look its part in the expected light - as opposed to tinted brown or slate, is already rare & intensely coloured stones with both strong colors and stark change are difficult to pass up - see one before buying anything, IMHO. The most memorable stone I have seen was on someone's hand - unusually light tone, but wonderful change - lilac to bluish green!, not small & a perfect cushion. There must be more & the light colors might be much less than the stratospheric - classic tones, but I have not seen another [without inquiring]; relatively light & clean moss green / russet is more possible & there is a beautiful one talked about here. [TMI!]

This should be fun.

Intrigued - www

One more - www

& There must be some small cat's eye alexandrite around to play with.

2p

I stumbled across this one that has the more lilac color -- it is gorgeous! I definitely would want to see one in person to view it in different lighting situations before purchasing. Some definitely seem to get "muddy".

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lab Alexandrite we need to discuss in the Fabulous Fashion jewellery but the colour change is distinctive but “artificial perfect” in my opinion.
Natural Alexandrite of good colour change is expensive, for $2,000 probably about .50 carat.
I will say this though, all over eBay and on Etsy there are many so called “certified natural Alexandrite” for very very cheap. 99% of these gems are fakes, the certificates are also totally fake. Only buy from reputable sellers with reputable lab certificates.
Here are some eBay examples at around $3,000US, these aren’t with certificates though. The first one is .60 carat but as you can see the daylight light colour is murky and not all green/ blue. The incandescent light photo is much nicer. The other eg is bigger and has a lovely daylight colour but the incandescent is orange brown.

Attachments

• CFF6639C-1705-4F87-BC20-25CCF1304ED5.jpeg
    CFF6639C-1705-4F87-BC20-25CCF1304ED5.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 79
  • CC017CDD-6267-4AAD-BA45-B484E99B7D53.jpeg
    CC017CDD-6267-4AAD-BA45-B484E99B7D53.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DB42A4E9-F073-484B-800C-2FA4170A8250.jpeg
    DB42A4E9-F073-484B-800C-2FA4170A8250.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 32
  • CD471037-7CF5-4E69-84A1-45F4779D5143.jpeg
    CD471037-7CF5-4E69-84A1-45F4779D5143.jpeg