shape
carat
color
clarity

Alex Park

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's an odd looking old european cut - he does his own settings. He has some really awesome stones pop up!! Follow his lab page too - some great ones on there if you like lab stones

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's an odd looking old european cut - he does his own settings. He has some really awesome stones pop up!! Follow his lab page too - some great ones on there if you like lab stones

I'm not sure if its because I had a J colored stone first, now an E, but I certainly love the warmer color diamonds. Now, I realize I like OECs too, well at least this one :)

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree that it looks like an odd OEC. Suggest looking through his previous posts and some other vendors (Old World Diamonds, Jewels by Grace, etc) to learn what you like / don’t like in old cuts. IMO, the profile of this one is gorgeous, but the top down view doesn’t make me swoon. As @musicloveranthony mentioned he has lab diamonds in old cuts that are really beautiful if you are open to lab diamonds.
Alex can do a variety of settings. I have a necklace he made and am very happy with the quality of the finished piece and it was completed on time.
Since you haven’t worked with Alex before I will mention that his prices are very good and he provides a good, basic level of customer service. I’ve been pleased with all my transactions with him, he is friendly and courteous, and I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from him again. But, if you want a vendor who will hold your hand through the sales process, spend a lot of time helping you create a custom design, go down a rabbit hole to find a unicorn, etc; then you might prefer a more “boutique” style vendor. Of course, premium service often comes at a premium price.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Agree that it looks like an odd OEC. Suggest looking through his previous posts and some other vendors (Old World Diamonds, Jewels by Grace, etc) to learn what you like / don’t like in old cuts. IMO, the profile of this one is gorgeous, but the top down view doesn’t make me swoon. As @musicloveranthony mentioned he has lab diamonds in old cuts that are really beautiful if you are open to lab diamonds.
Alex can do a variety of settings. I have a necklace he made and am very happy with the quality of the finished piece and it was completed on time.
Since you haven’t worked with Alex before I will mention that his prices are very good and he provides a good, basic level of customer service. I’ve been pleased with all my transactions with him, he is friendly and courteous, and I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from him again. But, if you want a vendor who will hold your hand through the sales process, spend a lot of time helping you create a custom design, go down a rabbit hole to find a unicorn, etc; then you might prefer a more “boutique” style vendor. Of course, premium service often comes at a premium price.

Thank you so much, I actually did reach out inquiring about the setting. He quicky responded and mentioned that it probably wouldn't look the same with my smaller measurement diamond. I appreciated that.

I actually feel quite ... I don't know, overwhelmed with choosing a setting right now. I've been down a few paths and they just aren't turning out how I expected. One was my own 'idea' that became complicated to execute, the other was quite simple, but for some reason, the details of a simple setting also seem hard to relay or get 'right.'

Now, I have my upgraded stone with no setting :lol:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes it can be easier to see a completed setting than trying to create something. antiqueengagementrings.com has antique pieces, but also takes a mould of those pieces and can caste them in different metals, finishes. They cannot do major tweaks as they are working from a mould, not CAD (at least that was the case when I used them). You can contact them with the dimensions of your diamond and they will respond with a list of the styles that will fit that diamond. I used them once when I wanted an antique feel for a tourmaline, but needed a “modern” buttery yellow to work with the stone color. I am pleased with setting and detail. IMG_2099.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2106.jpeg
    IMG_2106.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 12

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes it can be easier to see a completed setting than trying to create something. antiqueengagementrings.com has antique pieces, but also takes a mould of those pieces and can caste them in different metals, finishes. They cannot do major tweaks as they are working from a mould, not CAD (at least that was the case when I used them). You can contact them with the dimensions of your diamond and they will respond with a list of the styles that will fit that diamond. I used them once when I wanted an antique feel for a tourmaline, but needed a “modern” buttery yellow to work with the stone color. I am pleased with setting and detail. IMG_2099.jpeg

Oh, where can we see your tourmaline ring pls? The profile looks delicious.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you so much for this! And you are totally right about seeing a set in person, there aren't many great options here in Toronto/Ottawa Canada, at least that I'm aware of. We have the regular big box stores with not so great quality, and the few that had more options, again not the best quality but they also don't set outside stones.

There's just been such a big mish-mash of ups and downs trying to figure out my setting, I actually think I may go ahead with CVB's Jovyn ring in platinum. I don't know how to explain it, but I'm so sensitive to basket/shoulder proportions, there is this like, perfect harmony that I feel needs to happen lol... anyway, her ring is just :kiss2: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/230...=e8bf18d0&ref=shop_home_active_19&frs=1&cns=1

It's a little more than I wanted to spend given the USD conversion with custom's fees, but the proportions and craftmanship is out of this world pretty. I have been really drawn to another one of her settings, butttt its just a wee-bit more than I wanna consider right now lol.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider a stock setting? I don’t know if any jewelers where you are carry Stuller but a lot of PS’ers have been happy with those settings. You could use it as a temp until you save up for a forever setting. Just a thought. One benefit to stock is you can see exactly what it will look like so it takes some of the guesswork out.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Would you consider a stock setting? I don’t know if any jewelers where you are carry Stuller but a lot of PS’ers have been happy with those settings. You could use it as a temp until you save up for a forever setting. Just a thought. One benefit to stock is you can see exactly what it will look like so it takes some of the guesswork out.

I did recently think to do that actually, the few that I looked at were still around $1500... not sure if stuller is similar? I took a quick look at their site a while back and I don't believe they had pricing. CVB quoted 2k for the jovyn in platinum, which would also include variations to the band width/shoulder... although it would be a bit more in exchange, I think that is fairly reasonable?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did recently think to do that actually, the few that I looked at were still around $1500... not sure if stuller is similar? I took a quick look at their site a while back and I don't believe they had pricing. CVB quoted 2k for the jovyn in platinum, which would also include variations to the band width/shoulder... although it would be a bit more in exchange, I think that is fairly reasonable?

Stuller has to be ordered through a jeweler, I’m pretty sure if you get a simple setting, no side stones etc it would be less than $1500 although we are talking Canadian currency so I know things tend to be more expensive there. This can take a lot of the stress out of finding a setting though.

I’m not going to comment on the CVB pricing because I’m not a custom person and mainly buy vintage and antique, so everything to me is expensive lol!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Stuller has to be ordered through a jeweler, I’m pretty sure if you get a simple setting, no side stones etc it would be less than $1500 although we are talking Canadian currency so I know things tend to be more expensive there. This can take a lot of the stress out of finding a setting though.

I’m not going to comment on the CVB pricing because I’m not a custom person and mainly buy vintage and antique, so everything to me is expensive lol!

Ugh I hear ya. I think the main problem IS the exchange, because while something can be fairly reasonable in USD, add the exchange and duties, then you’re already at the 2k mark. Maybe that’s why my impression of 2k doesn’t seem so far off of everything else :lol:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Jovyn is gorgeous! The gentle swoopiness and proportions are perfection. What size is your diamond and have you posted a thread on it?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might consider moving this thread from antique/vintage over to Rocky Talk. There will be more eyes on it and you might get more ideas for settings there.

If you decide to do this then just hit report concern under your original post and ask the thread be moved. Beautiful diamond btw!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
You might consider moving this thread from antique/vintage over to Rocky Talk. There will be more eyes on it and you might get more ideas for settings there.

If you decide to do this then just hit report concern under your original post and ask the thread be moved. Beautiful diamond btw!

Thank you! I feel it may be slightlyyy too big, but I’m getting used to it.

I think I have my eyes set on the CVB Jovyn! There isn’t one detail that I dislike, whereas all the other rings had something I wanted to modify more than just shank millimetres for example.

She sent me some photos of one with the exact same stone dimensions and it was just :love:

I am going to discuss it with my spouse this afternoon, he absolutely doesn’t care lol, but I feel like I want his feedback.

Also, I know this does not matter, but I enjoyed actually chatting with her back and forth. It put a personal component to the process.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for this! And you are totally right about seeing a set in person, there aren't many great options here in Toronto/Ottawa Canada, at least that I'm aware of. We have the regular big box stores with not so great quality, and the few that had more options, again not the best quality but they also don't set outside stones.

There's just been such a big mish-mash of ups and downs trying to figure out my setting, I actually think I may go ahead with CVB's Jovyn ring in platinum. I don't know how to explain it, but I'm so sensitive to basket/shoulder proportions, there is this like, perfect harmony that I feel needs to happen lol... anyway, her ring is just :kiss2: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/230453061/the-cvb-id-jovyn-classic-six-prong?click_key=6248f9892bc35d19d0c38eeba4c894b66794245c:230453061&click_sum=e8bf18d0&ref=shop_home_active_19&frs=1&cns=1

It's a little more than I wanted to spend given the USD conversion with custom's fees, but the proportions and craftmanship is out of this world pretty. I have been really drawn to another one of her settings, butttt its just a wee-bit more than I wanna consider right now lol.

Check put Atelier Dacko in Toronto.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I feel it may be slightlyyy too big, but I’m getting used to it.

I think I have my eyes set on the CVB Jovyn! There isn’t one detail that I dislike, whereas all the other rings had something I wanted to modify more than just shank millimetres for example.

She sent me some photos of one with the exact same stone dimensions and it was just :love:

I am going to discuss it with my spouse this afternoon, he absolutely doesn’t care lol, but I feel like I want his feedback.

Also, I know this does not matter, but I enjoyed actually chatting with her back and forth. It put a personal component to the process.

Being comfortable with a designer is so important. I really love CVB’s designs, the dahlia has always been a favorite of mine, the Jovyn is very elegant, you are better off to buy exactly what you want. So many times people will buy something “good enough” and they end up spending more than if they had just gotten what they really wanted in the beginning.

Oh and that size will grow on you quickly!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Being comfortable with a designer is so important. I really love CVB’s designs, the dahlia has always been a favorite of mine, the Jovyn is very elegant, you are better off to buy exactly what you want. So many times people will buy something “good enough” and they end up spending more than if they had just gotten what they really wanted in the beginning.

Oh and that size will grow on you quickly!

I did eye the Dahlia too, the Ivy is also incredible! Her work is so flawless, I'm always amazed what human's can do.

You are totally right, I felt like I was playing in the "good enough" zone for a little while. I kept thinking I was too picky and maybe I just needed to settle for something with a few details that weren't perfect. Whether the basket was too low, prongs were too high, I kept wanting to adjust little details. When I actually tried the custom route, finessing those minor details was actually quite challenging. The uncertainty of it not turning out also bothered me further, so yeah... this has been quite the process lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results