shape
carat
color
clarity

Airline Advice? Flying US to France

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a great trip planned for June but so far have not made plane reservations because we can't decide on a flight.
I want safety and comfortable seats, my DD wants the distraction of wifi [almost no wifi available]. We fly out from Raleigh and are going to Paris. Any advice would be most appreciated! It's confusing because ALL the airlines to France get some bad reviews. Our friend in France said just take the cheapest because there is really not much difference...

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I've never travelled to France from the States, but have from Canada. My MIL lives in the UK so we make a trip over once a year and check out a few other countries while we're there.

I would go with a European carrier over a North American one for sure. Air France is pretty decent. Upgrading to premium economy can be worth it depending on the flight. Check seatguru.com for seat configuration, pitch, obstructions etc.

I haven't seen WiFi on a long haul flight. For some reason it is much more common in flights within the US.

All airlines get bad reviews online. Flying isn't exactly enjoyable (well maybe business class is, I wish I knew!). You can experience delays, annoying passengers, and broken entertainment systems with any airline. Also some people just like to complain and leave bad reviews about the stupidest things. I saw someone say "don't fly KLM, they will move your blanket to do seatbelt checks during turbulence.". Um OK...sounds safe to me, plus they mention leaving seatbelts visible at all times during their takeoff speech.

I think your friend is right. Book something affordable and assume there will be some hiccups. I always pack something to entertain myself (have had dead entertainment systems on a few flights). I would also suggest bringing some snacks and picking up a bottle of water after security. That way you are comfortable if cabin service is delayed for any reason. The best airline can have poor service if you're in turbulence for an hour.

Most of all have fun on vacation!!!!!

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
I haven't flown that route, but in my international flying experience (once every few years), all the airlines are pretty similar. I like to go with the "economy plus" sort of seat so that I have a bit more room and comfort. I assume you'll have to connect thru DCA/IAD or LGA/JFK from RDU? After price, my next priority would be flight time/layovers.

As for wifi, if the plane doesn't have it, I would bring an iPad and load it up with as many books, games, and movies as possible. What's more important to me than wifi is getting one of those seats that has an outlet so I can charge my devices! I had that on a Delta flight from JFK to Stockholm -- so useful.

So jealous that you're taking a vacation to France. Have so much fun there!

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Chemgirl has a good point about the European carriers. I did enjoy my KLM flight much more than my international Delta flight. Better customer experience for sure. If it came down to price, though, I'd still go with the cheaper option.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, both!
this is such helpful info.

I can tell DD no wifi, and will look into economy+
We've been looking at an Air France flight over that has a Delta return.

We are very lucky. My DD hosted a lovely person from France who in turn invited us to his parents' home. I have never been to Europe and am braving the trip to accompany my daughter and to at least see one European country, which truthfully, as a homebody, I never thought I would do.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
we're flying SAS next week to Copenhagan and my advice that would be relevant for your trip is to check baggage limits/requirements for whichever French airline you select.......carryon dimensions for baggage is smaller and weight for checked baggage can be less as well when compared to US domestic flights.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What Chemgirl said about European carriers. Love KLM, BA, etc. Air Canada has a some perfect itineraries, but I like to fly European carriers where possible.

cheers--Sharon

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal|1430583411|3871184 said:
HI:

What Chemgirl said about European carriers. Love KLM, BA, etc. Air Canada has a some perfect itineraries, but I like to fly European carriers where possible.

cheers--Sharon
Air Canada has not been the same since united took them over.
It seems like every couple years they get worse and worse.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1430621511|3871399 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

I really like them--but did not always feel that way. My experience is that they are better now!

But let's not quarrel! :bigsmile: :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
HI:

cheers--Sharon

I've had good experience with Air Canada, but prefer WestJet for travel in Canada.

Rouge, Air Canada's discount line, is another story. I avoid at all cost.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Air France is appalling. I would never fly them again after our last experience. Complete nightmare at Charles De Gaulle - they had overbooked the flight by 60 or 70 people and were letting everyone through. We were told that one or all of us may not make it on board, even though we were flying in Premium Economy, or that we might be downgraded. The gate was like a riot scene. And the seats are the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in. Never again.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All very interesting.
The posts here show how confusing it is to choose an airline.
MissKC, that sounds totally awful! thanks for posting your experience.
edit: and then I had to go back & read Gladys' whole thread [again] one of the pitfalls of a diamond website LOL : )

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal|1430621789|3871401 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

I really like them--but did not always feel that way. My experience is that they are better now!

But let's not quarrel! :bigsmile: :wavey:

cheers--Sharon
naw not gonna quarrel maybe they did get better in some routes/areas.
Chicago to Halifax is much worse however.
Air Canada was always on time other than weather related,clean, had friendly people and decent seats.
Now it is always late, multiple gate changes, dirty, much worse seats, and not as friendly people working there and gets worse every couple years.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, I just wanted to tell you that I had a similar experience to your daughter back in the dark ages! I went on an 8 week trip to France with my French class in high school the summer before college. The first 10 days, we stayed with families. As it turned out, the oldest daughter in the family I stayed with came to stay with my family for a few weeks the next summer! I would probably connect with some kind of tour for the rest of your trip aside from the family visit. I would not travel in France alone with just a daughter now.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS,

Do you think it's not safe? We are staying overnight - or two nights in a hotel and then taking the train to our friend's house.
Then back to Paris for one or two nights before heading home. If my DD stays out in the country I may be in Paris alone for a day or two.
I thought if I stayed in the 18th district it would be OK? I'm not planning to visit tourist places, just eat/walk/sleep : )

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne, I went to Paris with my husband in June of 2013. We had a fabulous time and I felt nothing but safe walking around without him sometimes. (He was unfortunately under the weather for part of our week there.) I made the journey to Versailles myself and went out after dark in the 18th near Sacre Coeur and was just fine. I LOVED the 18th Arnd. La Grenier a Pain at 38 Rue de Abbesses, not far from the Abbesses Metro, was by far the best pain au chocolat I had on our entire trip. And Creperie Broceliande at 15 Rue de Trois Freres was incredible! Highly recommend the dessert crepe with the blueberries!

As for airline, we flew Air France Premium Economy and had a great experience overall, save the 2 hour on-tarmac delay on our return departure. Fortunately we had a direct flight and didn't have to worry about missed connections. It is significantly more expensive, though, I caution you. Or at least it was for us! I also flew Economy Plus on Delta to and from London last spring and found that to be a surprisingly positive experience. It's not nearly as pricey of an upgrade as the AF Premium Economy, and you're really just paying for more leg room, but that can make a huge difference...especially when trying to sleep on an overnight flight on the way there!

I hope you have a wonderful time with your daughter! I also did a home and home exchange in high school--mine was with a student in Germany for about 10 days--and it was one of the best experiences of my teenage years! Bon Voyage!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vc10um, Lots of good recommendations and reassurance! Wow, you really did have a fantastic time : ) I can hear it in your voice.
Thanks!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DH and I were in Paris in 2013 and 2014 and I always felt very safe. We stayed in the 11th and 2nd ARRs and I wandered around alone quite a bit with no issues. I don't remember which airlines we flew, but honestly, all international flights are terrible these days and I would base my decision on layovers and price. My biggest piece of advice is to learn a few very basic French phrases - "Do you speak English?" "Where is the bathroom?" "Which way to the train station?" are key. Most French people speak English and I have found if you even attempt to speak to anyone in French they will respond helpfully in English. Have fun! :wavey:

ETA: One other thing, make sure and give yourself a good 2-3 hours at the airport flying back to the US. French airlines (no matter who you fly) are not as efficient checking in as at US terminals and I was VERY concerned we would miss our flight the first time we came back.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
liaerfbv|1430741778|3871848 said:
ETA: One other thing, make sure and give yourself a good 2-3 hours at the airport flying back to the US. French airlines (no matter who you fly) are not as efficient checking in as at US terminals and I was VERY concerned we would miss our flight the first time we came back.

I second this! I was at CdG last summer, flying home after two weeks in Europe and that airport was the most stressful part of the whole trip (we flew into Dusseldorf, Germany--a breeze compared to CdG!). Give yourself plenty of time to get your boarding pass, get through security, and get to your gate. We gave ourselves about 2 hours to get from our apartment in the heart of Paris (the Marais) to CdG and it felt very rushed.

I would also add that Paris felt very safe to me, even with police in riot gear out in the streets on at least one occasion (we were there last July during the protests, though the protests were nowhere near where we stayed, we were in the Jewish neighborhood so extra security was in force). Just use common sense like you would in any large city--be aware of surroundings, watch how others are reacting/behaving, keep your valuables at home, don't carry a lot of money you can't spare to hand over, etc.

I suggest getting or using a cross-body purse with a flap closure for any kind of travel, because you can carry it on your front, keep your hands mostly free, and rest an arm or hand over the top to keep money/credit cards safe if you're in a crowded area where pickpockets/purse snatchers may be, something like this (a thick strap is good because it's hard to cut through): http://www.verabradley.com/product/mailbag-crossbody/classic-black/1002223_184400.uts

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, Just a thought. I think you should send Joy to me so I can take care of her while you are in Paris. i promise to clean her daily and send you videos of what she is up to. :wavey:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
: )
she said she would love it.
Can she bring Puff, Issy, Mr.Monet, Camille, Bo, Gypsy, Pom, Yikka, Moe, Eva and Sam??? :naughty:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course! I will need to build a barn for the ones who can't come in the house.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1430761894|3872012 said:
Of course! I will need to build a barn for the ones who can't come in the house.
Callie, you are so good to us : )

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I live in EU - bordering France and it's very safe. Far safer than most areas I've lived in the US.
Use the same caution in Paris as any other major metro area, and enjoy yourself. Transportation hubs and tourists spots are always vulnerable spots for theft, but the French are unfailingly polite and certainly no more malicious than the rest of the world.

Aside from that, most EU carriers have US affiliates and service depends upon the flight, eqipment, and crew.
For example KLM is part of the Delta network so you'd likely fly KLM if you booked Delta. I agree w/ your friends in FR. I've had some really pleasant flights and some annoyingly long ones....just get the best deal you can for the ammenities you want.

enjoy your travels!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The New York Times travel section has done several recent write-ups on Paris and one focused on specifically on safety.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Karl - I would just like to clarify that Air Canada and United Airlines are separate airlines. They are both member of the Star Alliance and therefore they code share on certain flights. The aircraft may be owned and operated by UAL but with an Air Canada flight number or vice versa. I much prefer the Air Canada aircraft and personnel compared to United.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I avoid United as much as possible; more likely to get older planes with power ports that do not work, awful entertainment options and frequent delays. France seems fairly safe to me as many walk around town well after dark!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you are flying Business or 1st Class, flying is terrible and getting worse. There is little difference in American carriers. United and American compete to be the worst carriers. We fly on the cheapest ticket possible and one which we can rack up frequent flier miles (code shares). We look for nonstops and landing in the better airports. We always fly coach and unless you get an aisle or window, be prepared for 8 plus hours of Hell. There is no leg room and the aisles are narrow. I don't know if it is the new electronics, but it seems that there is a metal box under the seat in front of you (where you put your legs )so putting a bag there will give you no leg room. Airbus has the worst overhead compartment design so hopefully you will be flying Boeing. I have not flown on a flight that was not full to capacity in a very long time. The food is inedible. People and crew are crabby. It used to be that the American carriers would have free alcohol for international flights (to compete with the international carriers) but now that is not the case. Be prepared to pay for alcohol. On occasion,they allow a free wine or beer with dinner but one can not predict. We have flown a lot of international carriers and the European carriers are learning the crap ways of their code share partners in the USA. Swiss Air used to be great (prebankruptcy) and now...eh. Luftansa is really bad now. We have flown Ryan Air (the Greyhound of European skies) and you get what you pay for. But you know what the rules are and the upcharges so there are no surprises and it is a great airline. Air India had OK food. We have flown most Asian carriers and they are all right. The best flight I ever had is on Emirates (UAE). The worst was on a domestic Aeroflat pre-1990. We are flying ANA to Japan this summer-should be interesting. Bottom line? Get the cheapest flight, bring your own food and entertainment, and have a few cocktails before boarding and try to sleep. It is not that long of a flight and you are landing in a great place. Bon Voyage.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Jimmianne|1430647853|3871469 said:
All very interesting.
The posts here show how confusing it is to choose an airline.
MissKC, that sounds totally awful! thanks for posting your experience.
edit: and then I had to go back & read Gladys' whole thread [again] one of the pitfalls of a diamond website LOL : )

Ha ha!!! Now I have to go and read her thread... Again!

In terms of safety, Paris and France in general are pretty safe. But I would just caution against wearing too much jewellery in Europe. Most Europeans wear a lot less jewellery than Americans and Australians tend to - many women don't even have diamond engagement rings. I have a number of French and Italian and German colleagues from previous roles and almost none of them wear diamonds.

I have two friends that were mugged on the Champs Elysees and both lost jewellery that was sentimental to them. When in Paris I now only wear my wedding band, or a silver band and cheapish, small earrings. And a plain black (non-designer) handbag. I just feel it's better to make yourself less of a target and blend in as much as possible, if you know what I mean!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
misskittycat,

thank you for the reminder about jewelry. I had decided to go just a little [too] blingy...but now it's simple sterling all the way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results