shape
carat
color
clarity

Ahhh! The grass ate my ring.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so mad at myself. Today I was taking a picture of a ring (vintage of course) outside under some tall bushes and just as I was finishing up the last picture, I dropped the ring into the pile of leaves under the bushes :eek-2:

Of course genius me decided it's best to rake the leaves to find the ring but in doing that I now had this huge leaf pile to sift through. Here I am sifting through leaves and combing the grass with a comb, all to no avail. Then I read you can wait until it gets dark and go out with a flashlight since the ring will shine in the dark. Except it rained so now EVERYTHING shines under the flashlight...Arghhhhhhh!

So I guess we will try again tomorrow. Anyone else lose a ring to the grass gods or some other unfortunate circumstance?

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I am so mad at myself. Today I was taking a picture of a ring (vintage of course) outside under some tall bushes and just as I was finishing up the last picture, I dropped the ring into the pile of leaves under the bushes :eek-2:

Of course genius me decided it's best to rake the leaves to find the ring but in doing that I now had this huge leaf pile to sift through. Here I am sifting through leaves and combing the grass with a comb, all to no avail. Then I read you can wait until it gets dark and go out with a flashlight since the ring will shine in the dark. Except it rained so now EVERYTHING shines under the flashlight...Arghhhhhhh!

So I guess we will try again tomorrow. Anyone else lose a ring to the grass gods or some other unfortunate circumstance?
Hope you find it!:cry2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! I am sure you will find it. It cant be anywhere but under that bush.
The flashlight after dark is a great idea, maybe after things dry out?
I was having trouble when working on jewelry at my bench.
I was constantly dropping stones, beads, bits of silver, and all manner of tiny things on my lap and in turn into the carpeting that is under the bench.
And then I would be on my hands and knees under the table combing through the stupid carpeting! It is surprising how far tiny objects will bounce.
Then I got a bright idea. I put a shoe box lid on my lap to catch anything that falls. A "lap tray" is what it is called. Problem solved. I also have a plastic floor thingy too, the kind of thing that goes under an office chair.
So I say to you Miss Stephanie, to put something under your jewelry when shooting outside. Like an old towel, spread under the area where you are shooting. Just to be safe!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've done that....i was a kid playing in the yard and for some reason wearing a gift from a relative....a pretty little yg band with tiny rubies and diamonds. My mom was so upset at me...never found it! I wish you much better luck! =)2

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
The other day I was cleaning a vintage brooch i bought that had a gem in it. The qtip got a little too close and to my surprise, the gem popped off! It completely disappeared and it was so small that I didn't hear it drop. I combed the area around and the ground multiple times. It wasnt until I complained to my fiance and enlisted his help that I finally saw it as soon as he walked over.

I hope you find yours soon!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 you best believe I won't be making this mistake again but I do love your idea of putting something underneath, makes so much sense. Of course hindsight.....

@bludiva, sorry that your lost your ring, it is a terrible feeling losing a piece of jewelry but I have not given up yet!

@Rubymal, I'm glad you found your gem! DH has really been a trooper helping me find it but of course he had to say "you really shouldn't have raked the leaves under the bush" yeah yeah

On the flip side now he knows the best way to get me to do yard work :lol-2:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m so sorry you lost it! Do you have a big ‘blue light’ flashlight?. Even if the stones in your piece aren’t fluorescent, different types of lighting might help you because eyes love novelty. I hope you find it! Good luck!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lilmosun, it is looking like that might be my only hope!

@PreRaphaelite there are no stones in it, but we have tried using a flashlight to no avail, thanks for the suggestion though.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
go.with the metal detector idea
i had a workmate that had one and he was akways finding stuff in the sand
he found an older ladies 3 ring wedding set and she was sooooo happy and it was so quick

you know you read those stories about rings lost in the garden turning up years latter with a carrot grown around it and other weird things ...you could be waiting a long time for it to turn up
put thr word out for a metal detector

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn, if you got your hands on a metal detector, it might be life altering. I have often thought about getting one myself, but I live in the wrong part of the country. All I would find out here in NM would probably be bullet casings and door hinges.
In fact, I once bought a box of bullet casings and other metal bits some guy found while metal detecting in these parts. (There were also Native american pottery shards and arrowheads too, so I'm not completely off my rocker!)
But you, in CT, that's a different story!
Jewelry, old coins, ....did I mention jewelry?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm you do have a good point @stracci2000 it just irks me to spend more money to find something but then if you consider all the time spent to try to find it thus far, I'm already deep in the hole!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you ask someone with a metal detector to help I'm sure they will.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gloria27, we actually found a friend that has one but they are moving and they packed it! I think I might just make a trip to some local pawn shops and see if I can find one myself this weekend.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gloria27, we actually found a friend that has one but they are moving and they packed it! I think I might just make a trip to some local pawn shops and see if I can find one myself this weekend.
You might find some crazy stuff in your own back yard!
How old is your house? Who lived there before you?
Was your neighborhood once farmland or always houses?
I go to a detector website once in a while, where they post photos of their finds. In many places in the northeast, people are finding British coins, colonial buttons and buckles, and lots of other things of historical interest.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Lost a ruby and diamond tennis bracelet that I loved doing yard work, normally took it off and I forgot that day. Good luck.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 our house is actually the newest on our block built in 1970 but the other houses are antique colonial. We have lived here 15 years and actually found something very strange when we moved in. In the shed was a grave marker for a young child, it's still in the shed, so sad. I really don't know what the land was before the house was built but we do have a ghost so who knows what stories the land will tell!

@natasha-cupcake, OMG do you know that I just bought one today from Cheers! Thank you so much though and I am horrible at checking my email but I did get your message and I will be writing you back shortly, didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. The pollen count has been so high, allergies are terrible, it has been a week!

@caolsen, so sorry about your bracelet, that really stinks. Losing a piece of jewelry is such an emotional rollercoaster I swear.

So quick update, I have a metal detector now and a chandelier (yay!). It was almost dark when we got home but we gave it a quick go and turned up the remainders of two aluminum cans, oh well it's a start. Will work on it more this weekend and hopefully come back with some good news!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@stracci2000 our house is actually the newest on our block built in 1970 but the other houses are antique colonial. We have lived here 15 years and actually found something very strange when we moved in. In the shed was a grave marker for a young child, it's still in the shed, so sad. I really don't know what the land was before the house was built but we do have a ghost so who knows what stories the land will tell!

@natasha-cupcake, OMG do you know that I just bought one today from Cheers! Thank you so much though and I am horrible at checking my email but I did get your message and I will be writing you back shortly, didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. The pollen count has been so high, allergies are terrible, it has been a week!

@caolsen, so sorry about your bracelet, that really stinks. Losing a piece of jewelry is such an emotional rollercoaster I swear.

So quick update, I have a metal detector now and a chandelier (yay!). It was almost dark when we got home but we gave it a quick go and turned up the remainders of two aluminum cans, oh well it's a start. Will work on it more this weekend and hopefully come back with some good news!
good luck
i can't wait to see what it looks like when you find it

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any updates??

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing yet @Matthews1127. We have been running around this morning trying to find parts for a chandelier we bought yesterday so hopefully later today we will do some treasure hunting in the backyard.

Btw you guys are not going to be too excited, this ring is a rather plain white gold ring. It's just the fact that it's out there and I can't find it that's driving me crazy!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing yet @Matthews1127. We have been running around this morning trying to find parts for a chandelier we bought yesterday so hopefully later today we will do some treasure hunting in the backyard.

Btw you guys are not going to be too excited, this ring is a rather plain white gold ring. It's just the fact that it's out there and I can't find it that's driving me crazy!
Best of luck finding it!!
No matter how luxe (or not) it may be!!! ;)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

we are going to love that ring like a long lost adopted child !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i once lost a silver belcher (sorry i have no idea how to spell that) carrying a shopping back on the way home along a very pretty little track i used to use beside a stream
my boss let me have time off to look for it in better light but i reacon the council lawn mower probably ate it
i wish i had thought of a metal detector
shame because i had lost a little cheap little glaas beaded braclete the same way on the same track also carrying a bag and i found that one
i kind of hope my silver one got found by someone and given to their sweet heart or mother
it was a really nice thick braclette and i had had to put it on layby to buy it

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I had a metal detector expert out and everything. We never found it :( thankfully, it wasn’t a heirloom, or a family piece - just something I had bought at an estate sale.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Like a long lost adopted child" that gave me a good laugh @Daisys and Diamonds

It is raining today AGAIN (like have we become the new Seattle?!) and my allergies are killing me so we will keep looking when we can but my hope is dwindling. How much you want to bet that once we stop looking we will find it. I will definitely update with any new developments!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results