shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS color and clarity grading

Sahar

Rough_Rock
What are your thoughts on AGS color and clarity gradings? I hear mixed reviews that they tend to be more lenient on color and clarity then GIA and I’m curious if anyone ever sent to double certify have seen anything else. Thanks

Reactions: Kya

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It varies over time because gia drifts slightly over time and agsl is chasing gia to stay in sync.
Right now from what I am hearing agsl is more consistent with the main gia lab than gia is consistent worldwide with gia in many ranges.
In other words agsl is with in the margin of error of gia worldwide.

Sahar

Rough_Rock
It varies over time because gia drifts slightly over time and agsl is chasing gia to stay in sync.
Right now from what I am hearing agsl is more consistent with the main gia lab than gia is consistent worldwide with gia in many ranges.
In other words agsl is with in the margin of error of gia worldwide.
D0A473AC-5CA6-4E2A-B4E7-FA32405EDD28.jpeg
Than you so much! @Karl_K Wat do you think of my diamond I’d love your opinion! It’s an F vs2. AVA.
I want a diamond with crazy fire! Love all of your posts!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AVA?
Can you post the report # so I can see the entire report?
Any images?

Sahar

Rough_Rock
AVA?
Can you post the report # so I can see the entire report?
Any images?

@Karl_K yes. The images should be out next week its a new diamond ill post the images when I get them I hope this helps thank you soo much

Attachments

• 51E6FF75-CE84-45CE-BF2B-0F71D8555191.jpeg
    51E6FF75-CE84-45CE-BF2B-0F71D8555191.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
@Karl_K The images should be out next week its a new diamond ill pst it when it in hope this helps thank you soo much

Mine is VERY similar in clarity as far as the amount of inclusion as well as what kind of inclusions they are. Mine was also graded VS2 by AGS. When I asked my vendor (CBI - super ideal also), they said it was a "high" VS2. Unlike mine, yours has "pinpoints not shown" - but those are not a big deal. I believe yours is a nice VS2. For the color, one would need to see a video.

Sahar

Rough_Rock
@daisygrl@daisygrl thank are ‘pinpoint not show” mean its not noticeable?is that why its not on plot gram? Do you think F is a good color to go for what’s yours?

Last edited:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
@daisygrl thank are ‘pinpoint not show” mean its not noticeable that why its not on plot gram. Do you think F is a good color to go for what’s yours?

Generally, F color is very white. You can ask the vendor if it is a "high" F or "low" F or ask them to compare to other Fs.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Generally, F color is very white. You can ask the vendor if it is a "high" F or "low" F or ask them to compare to other Fs.
The f range is very narrow either its an f or not.
Same with D and E
By comparison the I J K ranges are huge.

Sahar

Rough_Rock
The f range is very narrow either its an f or not.
Same with D and E
By comparison the I J K ranges are huge.

@Karl_K thank you good to know! What are your thoughts on the diamond? As far as the fire I’ve attached the full report. Also, are “the pinpoint not shown” marks something of concern?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The plot looks like an honest vs2, ask to verify the crystal is eye-clean since you dont have images yet. Likely it is. Otherwise it looks fine.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K thank you good to know! What are your thoughts on the diamond?
I can't say that per the board rules but I can help with technical stuff.

Sahar

Rough_Rock
I can't say that per the board rules but I can help with technical stuff.

@Karl_K can you speak to CA and PA and table size stars and LF? By chance? Also, are pinpoints not shown a concern on a report ? if not no worries just curious about your thoughts really respect your perspective!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I want a diamond with crazy fire!
This comment always concerns me with what the expectations are for the diamond.
In the right lighting a well cut mrb can have very crazy fire but they are more of a brightness cut than a fire cut.
If someone is expecting fire all the time then they will be disappointed. Other cuts produce fire in a wider array of lighting than the mrb but with them also the lighting has to be right for fire.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K can you speak to CA and PA and table size stars and LF? By chance? Also, are pinpoints not shown a concern on a report ? if not no worries just curious about your thoughts really respect your perspective!
The table and angles/lgf% are fine and I have never seen pinpoints not shown to be an issue. If there is a bunch of them grouped together its called a cloud.
Clouds not shown would need further investigation.

Sahar

Rough_Rock
The table and angles/lgf% are fine and I have never seen pinpoints not shown to be an issue. If there is a bunch of them grouped together its called a cloud.
Clouds not shown would need further investigation.
Thanks so much if you. See any diamonds you recommend I’d love to see them. Thanks for all the info you’ve shared online ive learned so much!

Sahar

Rough_Rock
This comment always concerns me with what the expectations are for the diamond.
In the right lighting a well cut mrb can have very crazy fire but they are more of a brightness cut than a fire cut.
If someone is expecting fire all the time then they will be disappointed. Other cuts produce fire in a wider array of lighting than the mrb but with them also the lighting has to be right for fire.

which cuts produce for fire the mrb?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
which cuts produce for fire the mrb?
oec and well cut step cuts can produce fire in a wider range of lighting than a mrb.

Sahar

Rough_Rock
I also asked AGS and this was there Response about color to me @daisygrl

Good Morning Sahar,

When grading color, a set of what we call, "color master" stones are used. The grader, does not consider the color range when grading, what they are doing is looking at your stone next to those color master stones. If there is more color in the stone, they will probably lean towards the G color, if there is less color, they would choose the F. As I said previously, this determination is that particular graders opinion, however, in order to try and ensure that the color has been chosen properly, we have a quality control process whereby a second grader also color grades the stone. The second grader does not know what color the first grader assigned to the stone. If the grades agree, the stone moves on. If the grades disagree, then a third grader will color grade the stone, and whichever color they assign, will be the color.

Hopefully, this answers your questions, but please let me know if you need anything else. Thank you Sahar.

Kind regards,

Sahar

Rough_Rock
oec and well cut step cuts can produce fire in a wider range of lighting than a mrb.

That’s interesting! Is a step cut like 35/41?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That’s interesting! Is a step cut like 35/41?
asscher..emerald cut..square emerald cut and variations of those.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond should be beautiful! It's a superideal cut. I would imagine that it would be excellent in light return, scintillation, and fire. F color is very white! I have ACA diamond stud earrings and love them!

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
i actually heard the other way around. gia is more lenient than ags in terms of grading. after all, if you are going to get an aca, then you should have a peace of mind! :lol: if you are in doubt, you can ask whiteflash take photos of the stone and show you!

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
I know this is somewhat an old thread but just want to ask as well because I have the same question in mind after reading a bunch of post about which one is more lenient in color and clarity.

I think with color, I haven't read much about the DEF being assessed as something different. From the posts I've read, it's mostly with the G-J color ones, and I guess it's because of what @Karl_K mentioned, the range for G-J is huge so it's more open to subjective color sensitivity of the graders. What I am getting is a D color, so with that said I guess I don't have anything to worry.

But I have a question when it comes to clarity. I have a VS2 with feather and crystal. The site says it's eye-clean but not sure why I'm seeing a bunch of specks in there, probably the crystal is being mirrored? The report doesn't say as many inclusions listed which I am happy about but then I just noticed the comment on the report saying: Surface graining not shown

I wonder what's anyone's thoughts on clarity of this one, was AGS a bit stringent in grading it? Or is it because it has a small feather by the girdle that makes it a VS2?

AGS report
WF diamond page

Thanks!

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Miner inclusions with no effect on grading are some times not plotted and a crystal can mirror.
The report reads as it having a grade setting vs2 crystal inclusion.
Beyond that I would refer you to wf to see what notes they have or an appraiser.

My wifey's ering diamond has surface graining not shown on the report, as long as its on the pavilion its not an issue generally but on the crown it can be at times.
This is something that many premium stone sellers pay attention to make sure its not an issue.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
from personal experience, i believe gia and agsl are comparable, in the way they grade color and clarity, in the last decade or so. i cannot speak to previous to that.

i have a stone that is both gia and agsl certed. both labs certed the stone as same color and clarity. it's the number specifications, as in measurement and percentages, that are ever so slightly different

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Karl_K I have contacted WF to ask where the surface graining is exactly. Will also try to get it appraised for a second opinion on that thing.

@Big Fat Facets WF does have a sarin report that confirms the measurements from the cert, will it still be different from GIA? I thought Sarin reports are made to confirm those measurements. Also, as a dual cert owner, if the diamond is laser inscribed already by AGS, does GIA add their own inscription to the diamond as well? <-- been always curious about that.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@Big Fat Facets WF does have a sarin report that confirms the measurements from the cert, will it still be different from GIA? I thought Sarin reports are made to confirm those measurements. Also, as a dual cert owner, if the diamond is laser inscribed already by AGS, does GIA add their own inscription to the diamond as well? <-- been always curious about that.
[/QUOTE]

yes, the diamond that i have, that is double certed, does have two laser inscriptions.

Last edited:

avalovesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
That’s pretty cool. I might get mine dual certed as well.

JankInTheStank

Rough_Rock
Hello! I am new to this forum. I just purchased a ring and I noticed a horizontal line through the pavilion... It initially shocked me because I didn’t think that a grade of VS1 would have a feather this big but after doing some research I found that it is likely just a reflection from the girdle. However, from the information I found online, normally this is closer to the bottom 1/3 of the diamond’s side profile. Does this look like a typical girdle reflection or a possible feather? I’m gonna upload some pics and if any of you have any wisdom on this subject matter I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you! F6A2E594-4FCC-48B6-9254-5E3053F67A06.png 2C5DE6D8-1AEB-4EDA-9F57-A9258945711A.png 17451603-CC16-442D-B551-F4BAB3936901.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results