shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS color and clarity grading

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you don't think I am spreading misinformation. Since your response followed my post, one might think you are directing this at what I wrote. Nothing I wrote is a disservice to anyone or to the truth. In the face of misinformation, I hope to always be one who cuts through it and adds some truthful clarity. Probably, you feel much the same in this regard.

Threads tend to lose their initial context in long sets of responses. As long as the submissions are educational and well written, someone is going to learn a little and be helped.

We wouldn't want anyone to fear adding their outlook or their opinion. We must be very careful not to discourage participation when the original subject slowly turns into a somewhat different subject, especially when everything fits into a larger, and reasonably correct learning experience.
Well said!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA Master Diamond sets are specially graded just for use as Master Color Grading tools. GIA rejects most diamond submitted to become Master stones. They only accept those which either meet one of two criteria of color situations. One, the color of each diamond in the set is at the high end of each grade. Such stones are named D-E-F-G, etc. Or two, diamonds near the bottom of a grade are issued split grades. This means they are graded D/E, E/F, F/G, etc Basically split grades are just above the border to the next lower color. The best and most desired Master Diamond sets are single color graded sets. Split grades work fine out in the field, but are far less useful to the precision that major labs demand.

Thank you for sharing this and it makes sense knowing what I have seen IRL.
I have many times written that no lab which competes with GIA can be a long term player in the diamond grading business if that lab grades color or clarity harsher in any way than GIA might grade the same diamond. AGSL grades Cut harsher than GIA...snip...

Their color and clarity grades are very close to one another and AGSL has to be a tiny bit softer on color or clarity on occasion or it will cease to be in business.

Yes, and the poster was asking others' experiences with AGS grading color and I was sharing mine. And 2 other PSers experiences. And that is the spirit of this thread. Sharing info and experience.

We must be very careful not to discourage participation when the original subject slowly turns into a somewhat different subject, especially when everything fits into a larger, and reasonably correct learning experience.

Exactly.

the reason this thread was even resurrected was because like the original poster, avalovesdiamonds also heard the rumor that agsl is "softer" on color

im sorry the facts must be re-presented, each time there is this "chatter" about agsl being "softer" on color than gia. and to patiently do so, time and time again is quite the feat. especially, when zero, first hand documented evidence, is even bothered, to be presented to validate and substantiate such "chatter". ive found when the chatter is repeated enough, without correction, it becomes rumor, negatively affecting both consumer and vendor/business. new members/new diamond purchasers, seem to be the most susceptible and fall prey to those ongoing rumors.

I feel you @Big Fat Facets are trying to squash me sharing my personal experience with AGS color grading. Over and over again. And that's not OK. We are all welcome to share on PS and you aren't going to suppress my thoughts and experiences no matter how often you try. It is OK for all of us to share and it is OK if we don't agree. You haven't lived my experiences and I haven't lived yours nor do I pretend to have lived yours nor tell you what you can and cannot say. So please, let's just agree to disagree. There is no need for animosity but for some reason I am feeling that from you. Let's start over shall we?

My experience is not rumor. It is my experience. I am not asking other PSers to chime in with their experience but yes there are others who have experienced similar differences in AGS vs GIA. And if one is so motivated one can do a search on PS to find others experiences with AGS and color grading.

Are those differences the norm? I never said they were. I was sharing my experience with Ava because she asked for us to chime in with our experiences. If you read my posts you can appreciate that they are measured and reasonable and calm and not sensationalized in any way. I feel my posts are balanced and truthful. And until you are the boss of PS I will continue to do share my experiences. It makes PS a better place when everyone is allowed to share in a respectful and caring manner even when we don't agree.

Thank you for reading and I am keen to move forward without any hostility.

Well said!

Indeed! And that is why I was quoting @oldminer. I respect him and appreciate his expert opinions. As I do @Texas Leaguer. Thank you both for chiming in and thank you for being an integral and critical part of PS.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@missy
you are accusing me of preventing you from posting??

have you even thought that through??

i know that it’s convenient and easy to ride on oldminer’s coattails but really?!!

its actually not even possible to prevent you from posting because the post button, reply button, quote button are on your computer. whereas, i am at my computer clear across the country. so no, what you are accusing me of is not possible. especially, taking into account that you are an ancient member and you have either criticized or drowned out my contributions in other threads. each of those times, i have ignored you. even within this thread in post #41, #42, #43 you saw fit to sic your gang to ridicule. and then liking each other's post mean girl style, high school edition. so i wonder who was trying to prevent whom from posting. i don’t know about anyone else but i see a lot of projection

i might also take this opportunity to add, there is an obvious bully culture, of a select few old ancient members, that see fit in bullying newer members. I’ve seen it recently in the thread: is it worth lowering color and size to buy a true hearts and arrows and in an mmd thread, just to name a few. it was so severe that i felt compelled to speak up for the newer mmd members, as a newer member myself. i know first hand exactly what that bullying feels like.

as a side note, the mere suggestion that i or anyone is preventing you from posting is beyond preposterous. you?? from what i have observed, it seems you have zero qualms in blatant thread jacking, to post multiple selfies and image of random woman from costco that you disapprove of, on a public forum, which is a violation of her privacy

all anyone has to do is go through this thread. for every one of my posts from first hand personal experience, maintaining that agsl and gia are comparable in grading diamond color, furnishing evidence in the form of cross validating reports from both labs. you come back 2 to 3 posts, with anecdotes of you and your “friend” determining that a certified agsl f color is “at least one if not two color grades off” without the aid of master stones nor specialty agsl or gia diamond grading lighting, various unrelated links, and all, without the benefit of any reports and documents to substantiate your accusation that agsl is softer in grading diamond color. nothing but chatter. i find that rather irresponsible and damaging to the reputation of not only agsl but to the businesses that sell agsl 000 super ideal diamond. surely, there is no reason to be spreading damaging rumors like that without evidence to substantiate

if you are going to accuse agsl or me or anyone else, please, at least try, try to furnish, evidence to substantiate your claims otherwise it is all chatter, spreading rumors, conjecture and heresy. you are entitled to continue to do that. you are entitled to believe what you believe. that would be contrary to what you are accusing me of. i agree to disagree

after your “friends” showed up to ridicule, i went away, as usual when i am subjected to your covert bullying. you and your gang got the last word.

after avoiding you, i happened upon a thread with another member and her double certed diamond with cross validating reports from agsl and gia, and yes, you guessed it, with identical color grade of h. @Texas Leaguer responded to share his trained, professional, experienced insight which confirmed the evidence i have in hand. as well as the evidence that petalouda has in hand.

and now here we are. so now, you say that “you never said that agsl grades softer is the norm” well, you could have fooled me, because your posts are up for all to read, what you had originally, accused agsl of. i am glad you see the error of your ways, and have pivoted from your original position.

animosity? call it what you will. I’ve found myself on the receiving end of your covert bullying. and i do not like it. if defending myself and defending others is what you consider to be animosity, then so be it. i will continue to speak up for myself and others that are being bullied.

ha! i would love to be the owner or the “boss” of an equally successful jewelry forum like pricescope. it would be so fun!

on the contrary, you seem to present yourself like the owner of pricescope … or at least the self appointed mayor

if you truly believe that we can move forward without, your described hostility, then i am open to it

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, leave each other alone if you don’t like each other. Ignore button is your friend. Or we will give time outs on both sides.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results